'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 112065 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #275 on: November 25, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
Agree that inconsistency in November is fine, and that Nova has a lot of new guys to acclimate, but I’m  not so sure that they’ll be fine. I guess it depends on what “fine” is.

Only went 8 men deep, with no contributions from the bench (4 points).  With the talent they had last year, they could get away with that- not this year.  They’ll still be good, and I think they finish top 3 in conference and top 25 overall.  But they are not a top 10 team.

And Quinerly is in Wright’s doghouse- has not demonstrated any buy-in to Nova’s culture.  He has had several DNP coach’s decisions, including today.
So, sitting a 5 star guard who does not live up to the culture the coach is trying to create.  Sure, Wright has equity.  But this is what coaches do.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
fjm
My guess is ‘nova boards is probably filled with young fans as well. I am sure some were concerned on Scoop, but anyone that follows the sport knew otherwise.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #277 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »
Wades
No one was very concerned over ‘nova. In addition, they get about 15-20 games before they could be written off. MU had, and has a chance, to make early season statement after being irrelevant on the national scene for a half decade. Your hype for the season had many expecting an exciting November. Your enthusiasm was not matched by play on the court in November.

Not sure what you’re talking about. My hype for the season had many expecting an exciting November? They were misreading what I was posting then. Both my season game by game predictions and my game prediction contest predictions had us sitting at 4-2 at this point with losses at IU and to Kansas. So if people were excited about the season because of what I was saying then they should still be excited about this season, as they are exactly where I “hyped” them to be at this point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

fjm

• All American
« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »
fjm
My guess is ‘nova boards is probably filled with young fans as well. I am sure some were concerned on Scoop, but anyone that follows the sport knew otherwise.

fair 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #279 on: November 25, 2018, 05:23:35 PM »
Wades

They have stunk thus far. They stepped on their Johnson and disappointed some folks on here. You are holding serve on your prediction and I hope you are right. Aside from you, I think most are at least mildly disappointed thus far.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #280 on: November 25, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
Wades

They have stunk thus far. They stepped on their Johnson and disappointed some folks on here. You are holding serve on your prediction and I hope you are right. Aside from you, I think most are at least mildly disappointed thus far.

Fair enough. As you like to say, “anyone who follows the sport” would understand that MU got punched in the mouth at one of the top 5 toughest arenas to play in the country with a soon to be millionaire playing like the pro he is soon to be. That was far from surprising given that it was our first real game of the season. And then we went almost 10 minutes without scoring and still competed with the best team in the country on a neutral court. November basketball. Sometimes you go through a rough stretch in a game against very good teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
Wades

The team is where is should be, record-wise.  The only negative surprise was the margin at Assembly Hall. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
Tower
Agreed on record. I was hoping that a program that has done nothing for a half decade might come out a tad better. IMO, it has not been a showing to create much excitement, and that is disappointing.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #283 on: November 25, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
The team is where is should be, record-wise.  The only negative surprise was the margin at Assembly Hall.

Yep......I recall MU playing horribly in a first round NCAA tourney game vs Davidson......needed basically a miracle to win......."hey look a miracle! ".   Let's bitch and moan about how lucky we got.....we were the Big East Champs....it shouldn't have been close....but it was.....we almost lost......but we didn't......we won.....then we won a hard fought game that could have gone either way against Butler.......blew out Miami.....and made the elite 8 before laying an egg against Cuse.

We could have easily been out in the first round......but we survived.....another day we might not have.

You would think that after watching college basketball for many years people would realize that the difference in talent is not as extreme as it once was between teams  like .....I don't know....Virginia.....and UMBC.....

We can beat good teams....they can beat us......if we play bad....bad teams can beat us.....Crean, Buzz and Wojo have all lost to bad teams.....so has  Bo Ryan....and Jay Wright.

How about just enjoy the wins and not act like every bad performance is the end of the world? 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2018, 07:01:37 PM »
Agree that inconsistency in November is fine, and that Nova has a lot of new guys to acclimate, but I’m  not so sure that they’ll be fine. I guess it depends on what “fine” is.

Only went 8 men deep, with no contributions from the bench (4 points).  With the talent they had last year, they could get away with that- not this year.  They’ll still be good, and I think they finish top 3 in conference and top 25 overall.  But they are not a top 10 team.

And Quinerly is in Wright’s doghouse- has not demonstrated any buy-in to Nova’s culture.  He has had several DNP coach’s decisions, including today.
I was impressed with Villanova today for several reasons. They were playing for the tournament championship against a very athletic FSU in what was essentially  a road game. Villanova was true to their fundamental strengths. On defense they used their length and competed very well. Offensively , they ran their plays until they got high quality looks. They did not have to rely on the 3.

I agree  Villanova is not deep, however they are making up for that with everyone playing smart basketball. They have a couple of upsides from here. First, when Cremo recovers from that injury and can get rid of that mask, I think he will be much better and open things up for the big men. Second, Gillespie is doing a very good job, so they have the luxury of slowly working Quinerly into their style of play. If they can get anything at all out of Quinerely, it is going to be very helpful.

Nova has four big 5 games in row coming up, starting next Saturday against LaSalle and Traci Carter . After that they face Kansas on the road in Lawrence which should provide a good examination of where they are as a team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
I was impressed with Villanova today for several reasons. They were playing for the tournament championship against a very athletic FSU in what was essentially  a road game. Villanova was true to their fundamental strengths. On defense they used their length and competed very well. Offensively , they ran their plays until they got high quality looks. They did not have to rely on the 3.

I agree  Villanova is not deep, however they are making up for that with everyone playing smart basketball. They have a couple of upsides from here. First, when Cremo recovers from that injury and can get rid of that mask, I think he will be much better and open things up for the big men. Second, Gillespie is doing a very good job, so they have the luxury of slowly working Quinerly into their style of play. If they can get anything at all out of Quinerely, it is going to be very helpful.

Nova has four big 5 games in row coming up, starting next Saturday against LaSalle and Traci Carter . After that they face Kansas on the road in Lawrence which should provide a good examination of where they are as a team.
Neck assessment?
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
The Hall and The U tied 45 45 at the half.  Hopefully the Pirates can bring home another Big East win. 
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »
Yep......I recall MU playing horribly in a first round NCAA tourney game vs Davidson......needed basically a miracle to win......."hey look a miracle! ".   Let's bitch and moan about how lucky we got.....we were the Big East Champs....it shouldn't have been close....but it was.....we almost lost......but we didn't......we won.....then we won a hard fought game that could have gone either way against Butler.......blew out Miami.....and made the elite 8 before laying an egg against Cuse.

We could have easily been out in the first round......but we survived.....another day we might not have.

You would think that after watching college basketball for many years people would realize that the difference in talent is not as extreme as it once was between teams  like .....I don't know....Virginia.....and UMBC.....

We can beat good teams....they can beat us......if we play bad....bad teams can beat us.....Crean, Buzz and Wojo have all lost to bad teams.....so has  Bo Ryan....and Jay Wright.

How about just enjoy the wins and not act like every bad performance is the end of the world?

This is 100% correct, every coach loses to bad teams and beats good teams. The key is to do the former infrequently and the latter often. Wojo has some work to do in that area before I would put him in a group with Wright, Buzz or TC - hope this year turns out to be the beginning.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »
Big Win for The Hall over The U. Their team looked very solid tonight.
            ---Al McGuire

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »
Things looking better for BE with Hall and Nova quality wins tonight. I’m feeling better about it.

MU needs minimum 1 win out of UW, BUF, KSU

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2018, 11:32:02 PM »
Things looking better for BE with Hall and Nova quality wins tonight. I’m feeling better about it.

MU needs minimum 1 win out of UW, BUF, KSU

Really need 2 to feel good. I think we get Buffalo and one of the other two. Really do have a chance at all 3

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »

And don’t forget 2003 first round vs. Holy Cross.  And 1977 2nd round vs. K State.  And 1974 Regionalfinal v Michigan.  All of those runs could easily have ended sooner.

And we all could name a few heartbreaking tourney losses.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
And don’t forget 2003 first round vs. Holy Cross.  And 1977 2nd round vs. K State.  And 1974 Regionalfinal v Michigan.  All of those runs could easily have ended sooner.

And we all could name a few heartbreaking tourney losses.

So we switch those 4 runs with wins in 02, 08, 09, 10. 69, 71 (those are the painful close ones I remembered off the top of my head) and are we better or worse as a program?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »
Villanova back in AP top 25. No MU votes. Creighton and St. Johns also received votes.  Seton Hall win happened late last night, and some voters may have already voted as Miami still received votes. 

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Villanova 23 in coaches poll. Creighton Butler and The Johnnies also received votes. Big opportunity this week for Creighton as they face number 1 Gonzaga on Saturday at home in Omaha.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »
Big East Number 1 Conference in Realtime RPI as of tonight. Obviously the NET ranking is what matters but this is a helpful point of reference.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html
            ---Al McGuire

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »
Big East Number 1 Conference in Realtime RPI as of tonight. Obviously the NET ranking is what matters but this is a helpful point of reference.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Conference USA is #1 in NET.  We never should have bailed...

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »
4 Big East games tonight. TV schedule is pinned on the top of the board. Enjoy!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #299 on: November 28, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
Here's what gets me, and I don't want to speak for Goose on this, but I think he'd probably agree. We have heard ad nauseum about this being Wojo's best, most talented team in 5 years..and I agree with that. However, all he's going to have to do is make it in the tourney with better than a 10 seed, and people can and will say "see, this WAS Wojo's best team ever". Not hardly...if this team(Wojo's most talented/best team) gets in the NCAA's, with anything LESS than a 4-5 seed, it was a COLOSSAL disappointment, and to think anything other than that, you are just blind, or always love being one who wants to say the "naysayers" were wrong. 5 seed or higher, or it IS a HUGE disappointment. No other way to put it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback