[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dayton releases schedule....their fans gripe...water is wet  (Read 3007 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
http://www.whiotv.com/sports/13699449/detail.html?rss=day&psp=sports

Loved the commentary at the end of the article, especially about Wright State (their UWM) demanding to play Dayton and so many of the UD fans bitching about their schedule.

It's the same thing everywhere...and I mean everywhere.

Link Fixed   ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:20:09 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Dayton releases schedule....their fans gripe...water is wet
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:50:52 PM »
chicos, your link goes to an article about Al Gore.  He, no doubt, hates dayton's schedule too, but I think you got a little wacky cutting and pasting links.  ;)

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:56:24 PM »
LOL that is a  bit funny. ???

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
MU schedule
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:27:58 PM »
As I was one of the folks who analyzed last year's schedule in a poor light (11 low-interest games) .. I'll say next season will be better, no matter what.  2006-07 was a special year for bad scheduling of low-interest teams.

Next year, immediately, 2 OOC games are eaten by the +2 BE games, even though one of those are away, they still count for our max.

Then we've got UWM, which I will count as a high-interest game, even though we will pound the snot out of them just like a Savannah State.  Yes, yes, I feel terrible for all the basketball purists who'll belittle me for wanting a game vs. UWM instead of some higher RPI nobody.

I believe that leaves 6 OOC homers.  (We played more games last year due to the CBE.)  Even if all of them were low-interest, it'd smoke last year's 11. 

And, ever optimistic, I'm thinking there'll be one new home and home with somebody, as Crean said he was working on something.  That might bring it to 5. 

I'd wet my pants if it was only 5 low-interest OOC cupcakes.   :P

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:45:51 PM »
I'm with Hilltopper. I think this year's schedule is already vastly improved with the extra home BE game and UWM a game that's at least interesting.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: MU schedule
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:22:13 PM »
As I was one of the folks who analyzed last year's schedule in a poor light (11 low-interest games) .. I'll say next season will be better, no matter what.  2006-07 was a special year for bad scheduling of low-interest teams.

Next year, immediately, 2 OOC games are eaten by the +2 BE games, even though one of those are away, they still count for our max.

Then we've got UWM, which I will count as a high-interest game, even though we will pound the snot out of them just like a Savannah State.  Yes, yes, I feel terrible for all the basketball purists who'll belittle me for wanting a game vs. UWM instead of some higher RPI nobody.

I believe that leaves 6 OOC homers.  (We played more games last year due to the CBE.)  Even if all of them were low-interest, it'd smoke last year's 11. 

And, ever optimistic, I'm thinking there'll be one new home and home with somebody, as Crean said he was working on something.  That might bring it to 5. 

Only in Wisconsin and maybe the border states...

I'm in the West Coast and there's no WAY in heck would people watch that then Santa Clara-Stanford!
SS Marquette

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

Only in Wisconsin and maybe the border states...

I'm in the West Coast and there's no WAY in heck would people watch that then Santa Clara-Stanford!

Co-sign. Inside Milwaukee, the game registers. Outside of Milwaukee, there will be some interest. Outside of Wisconsin, no one will care.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ooops
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
Link fixed....oooops

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 01:34:05 AM »

So we already have the two "rivalry" (quoted because we don't need to get into another semantic "what's a rivalry?" debate) OOC games in UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee.  Are there any other games that we can be sure of as of right now?  I'd love to see them get that the deal done with Alabama, although that's looking unlikely.  This year is also the Maui Invitational, right?  Provided we win at least one there, that'll be another good ame on the OOC schedule.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud and coming to the conclusion that there's no way our OOC schedule will be worse than last year.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:43:14 AM »
From that link, one Dayton fan said, "If WSU played in the Big East or ACC they would have only won 2 games all year."
That quote coming from a Dayton fan about Wright state is hilarious to me. How do they think Dayton would've fared?  Let's freshen our memories. Wright state ties w/Butler for the regular season horizon league championship, then beats Butler in the conference tournament. Wright state then loses to a very respectable opponent in Pittsburgh in the 1st round of the NCAA's. Butler goes on to beat ODU and Maryland before losing a close game to eventual national champs Florida in the sweet 16. So from these facts one could arrive at the conclusion that Wright state and Butler are somewhat comparable teams, teams that both deserved to be in the tournament at the very least. Wright state edges out Butler (a ranked team all season) overall in the Horizon league by winning the conference tournament, and you're telling me that WSU doesn't deserve to play DAYTON. What did Dayton do last year?

Its true, as posters on this thread point out, its the same thing around college basketball: too many fans think their team is God's gift to Earth (no exception w/MU fans) and will take any opportunity to criticize the strength of their schedule and thus opponents to put themselves up on a pedestal, even if it is clearly undeserved.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:01:39 AM by muhoosier260 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
I actually saw Wright State play Loyola last year. They were extremely undersized, but they played their fannies off. I actually think Loyola had more talent, but weren't as well coached as Wright State.

Anybody know who their coach is?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 09:30:42 AM »
CWSKieth:  All info known about the schedule can be found here:
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2007

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Wright State is coached by Brad Brownell, who just finished his 1st season at WSU. He came there from UNC-Wilmington, where he replaced Jerry Wainwright when he left for the Richmond job.

By all accounts, a very strong coach who should probably have a BCS conference job in the near future.