[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: USA Basketball???  (Read 1675 times)

jtate15

• Scholarship Player
USA Basketball???
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:58:26 PM »
Does anyone have any news on our guys and the Pan-Am games, and if the games will be televised?

I'm asking because I know they don't trim the roster until after the trial games, and those start tommorow, but I saw Jerel McNeal in the rec today, and he's supposed to be PA tommorow. Just wondering.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:56:48 PM by mu_hilltopper »

MUDPT

• All American
Re: USA Basketball???
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
I saw that some of the Pan-Am games would be televised by ESPN Deportes.  I don't get that channel, it's on the Hispanic tier here in Chicago on Comcast.  Just like I wanted to watch the U20 World Cup with the US, but couldn't, it was on ESPNU.  The Home Run Derby (ESPN) and Triple A All-Star Game (ESPN 2) were on instead.  Grrrrr.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:44:20 AM »
I wonder if it would be on any of the ESPNs on a service like http://www.myeasytv.com

.. I know the ESPN on there doesn't match up with the ESPN on cable.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »
Defense key to hopes for Pan-Am gold
By Bob McClellan, Rivals.com College Basketball Editor

Alabama coach Mark Gottfried believes the United States will have to fashion a team that can shoot 3-pointers and defend 3-pointers if it hopes to win its first gold medal at the Pan-Am Games since 1983.

"We're going to play teams with four players who can really dribble, pass and shoot, and you've got to be able to defend," said Gottfried, who will assist Villanova's Jay Wright for the U.S. squad. "We want to build a team that has the best chance to compete."

The USA Basketball selection committee will be watching 32 current college standouts vie for 12 roster spots for a chance to play in Brazil. The tryouts are Thursday-Saturday at Haverford (Pa.) College.

At the 2003 Pan-Am Games, the U.S. team made only 25 3-pointers in five games. Judging by the invitees, this team should be more than capable from beyond the arc. Texas A&M's Josh Carter led the nation in 3-point percentage last season. Tennessee's Chris Lofton and Michigan State's Drew Neitzel are among the nation's top 10 returning leaders in 3-pointers made per game.

"You don't get the opportunity to do something like this very often in your career, and I want to try to make the most of it," Neitzel said. "W definitely want to prove we're as good as anybody."

As far as defending the international 3-point line, the coaches could look to Marquette's Jerel McNeal and VCU's Eric Maynor, two members of the Rivals.com 2007 All-Defensive Team.

"I'm really looking forward to coming in and competing," McNeal said. "It's an honor just to get invited.

"I do the things other guys don't want to do. Some guys can make it just by putting the ball in the basket. Hopefully I have an edge (with his defense). I want to make it badly and go to Brazil and represent my country."

The international basketball landscape has changed greatly since Michael Jordan led the U.S. team to the gold in 1983. Players from all parts of the globe have improved dramatically, so much so that Gottfried said you can debate whether Americans have been passed by as far as fundamental skills are concerned.

Certainly the teams the United States will face in Brazil are older, and some will have players with NBA experience. Still, the Americans should be expected to medal - if not play for the gold.

"There are a number of good players trying out," Gottfried said. "It doesn't have the marquee names, but it will be as competitive (a tryout) as USA Basketball has had in a long time."

Bob McClellan is the college basketball editor for Rivals.com. He can be reached at bmcclellan@rivals.com.