[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Simmons to take on Diener!!  (Read 5983 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Simmons to take on Diener!!
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »
For those that enjoy Bill Simmons as much as I do, his online chat just had the following give and take which I found hysterical.

Jake (Denver): If you were forced to fight any player in the NBA, your choice, who's your pick? In pro sports?

Bill Simmons: (12:48 PM ET ) I think I could take Travis Diener.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Re: Simmons to take on Diener!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
Simmons is funny and a good writer, but I get a little tired of how every other column is a whine about Boston sports.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »
I think Travis is a lot tougher than he looks.  There's no way Simmons could take him!

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
"Simmons is funny and a good writer, but I get a little tired of how every other column is a whine about Boston sports."

Gee, an ESPN writer with an interest in East Coast sports.  Who knew?  I couldn't believe it when I saw ESPN is doing a movie on the 1975(?) yankees.  I heard they're already in development on next years film about the 1976 yankees.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »
You have to love the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

By the way, can anyone rationally explain the "Who's Now" segments that are cluttering the now largely-unwatchable Sportscenter?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
There are only two reasons I continue to go back to ESPN.com (well, three):

1) Bill Simmons
2) Jim Caple
3) An occassionally poignant E-Ticket story

That network bites. If Simmons were to leave, I'd never visit the site and focus on Yahoo sports.

And Simmons does focus wayyy to much on the NBA and Boston sports, but...he at least makes the articles interesting, funny, and many go back to read him again, which is all a writer can ask for.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »
I like Simmons ... but Diener would beat him like a rented mule.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »
Man I hate ESPN, cnnsi recently had a link on their extra mustard site that listed all the great things that ESPN has made terrible.  They also had a link to a site that was doing something similar to their Who's Now playoff but it was who's the most annoying ESPN personality...needless to say its hard to just choose 1:

Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, Stephen A. Smith, Woody Paige, Skip Bayless, Linda Start, etc

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
Disney absolutely destroyed that network when they bought ABC/ESPN, etc.

What is a true shame is that both Fox Sports and CNNSI were total failures, so no one can give the "world wide leader" competition.

Its like how things were before telecommunications were deregulated.  You hated the phone and cable companies, but there wasn't any competition to turn to.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:34:51 PM by ozmetal71 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
Absolutely love Bill Simmons, also really the only reason I go to ESPN.com.  I think the timing is prime for a rival network to get started to take them on.  The insanely over the top product placement alone is worth watching another sports show.  I only flick back and forth into Sportscenter, whereas I use to watch the full hour and had it on the rest of the morning while doing other stuff.  Only thing on ESPN I watch with any dedication are the Red Sox games, and PTI.

In ESPN's defense of the Who's Now, while it completely sucks, what else are they going to show????  We are in an absolutely dead period in sports.  About the only thing of interest this week is what an awful contract the Magic sided Lewis to.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
PTI is a great show, and both editions of College Gameday are outstanding.  However, the non-stop poker tournaments, the coverage of the spelling bee, and the eating contests are ridiculous.

I know it is a slow period in sports, but there is a lot of potential NFL news with training camps coming up, the NBA free agency period starts soon, etc.  There is plenty to talk about, but the Mouse would rather have the Budweiser Hot seat, artificial conflict between pinhead ex-jocks, and the brilliant "Who's Now" segments.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
I like Simmons ... but Diener would beat him like a rented mule.

Diener would slap the snot out of Simmons (who I like). Diener is one of the scrappy guys who is way, way tougher than he looks.
We Are Marquette

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »
Best question from that Simmons chat was:  How did Antonie Walker prevent the robber from getting a shot off?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:19:01 PM »
For those that enjoy Bill Simmons as much as I do, his online chat just had the following give and take which I found hysterical.

Jake (Denver): If you were forced to fight any player in the NBA, your choice, who's your pick? In pro sports?

Bill Simmons: (12:48 PM ET ) I think I could take Travis Diener.

I just remembered something about Bill Simmons, he's a Holy Cross grad. I'm sure he remembers TD torching Holy Cross in 2003 on our way to the Final 4.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, Billy Boy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diener's 29 points carry Marquette past Holy Cross
Mike Imrem

Byline: Mike Imrem Daily Herald Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS - Travis Diener has earned a reputation as a player who plays his best when it counts the most.

"He makes big plays at big times," is the way Holy Cross coach Ralph Willard put it.

That was only partly correct Thursday afternoon. Diener actually made plays at big times and little, early and late, from ahead or behind.

Marquette's sophomore point guard scored 29 points to quick- trigger a 72-68 victory over Holy Cross in a first-round NCAA Tournament game. ...

COPYRIGHT 2003 Paddock Publications
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:21:46 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:05:45 PM »
PTI is a great show, and both editions of College Gameday are outstanding.  However, the non-stop poker tournaments, the coverage of the spelling bee, and the eating contests are ridiculous.

I know it is a slow period in sports, but there is a lot of potential NFL news with training camps coming up, the NBA free agency period starts soon, etc.  There is plenty to talk about, but the Mouse would rather have the Budweiser Hot seat, artificial conflict between pinhead ex-jocks, and the brilliant "Who's Now" segments.

Wow...shows how everyone is different.  One of things I dislike about ESPN is that there is an NFL Tonight type show on year round.  No thanks.  I like my football, mostly college but also pro,...but give me 17 weeks and that's enough a year.  I only watch ESPN for a game itself.  And sometimes depending on the broadcasters, have the sound down, or radio or satellite broadcasters on instead. 

PTI isn't bad...but nothing was better than TK's earlier radio days several years ago.  Maggie, etc..This show stinks!

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 09:16:20 AM »
Yeah, I am a football nut, both college and pro, so I do enjoy the prevalence of NFL news on the WWL.

We all have different things that we do like on ESPN, but I think that most of us can agree that the network as an entity sucks big-time.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 09:24:23 AM »
I agree Big Sky.  As it is, I think ESPN overdoes the NFL.  They talk about it all the time and devote that weekly show to just NFL news, when there really isn't much going on.  Meanwhile, don't get me started on Mike&Mike who talk about the NFL as though its the only sport that matters.
That does not compare however to the constant East Coast thing. I know its not a new subject, but they continue to just shove it down our throats.  This must be the first week since the start of the season that the Yankees haven't yet been showcased and that's only b/c they haven't played.  Still, they get their yankee fix on when ESPN shows the stats scrolling on ESPN news of the All-star game and the first stat they show is that Arod went 1-3.  The only other stats they showed were Ichiro.  What about v-mart or crawford who both homered. I know its a small thing, but the constant East Coast stuff drives me nuts and has me longing for an alternative.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:51 AM »
This must be the first week since the start of the season that the Yankees haven't yet been showcased and that's only b/c they haven't played. 

I take it you haven't watched "The Bronx is Burning" eight part mini-series on the 1977 Yankees!!!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »
Today, the timing would be GREAT for an ESPN competitor. CNNSI came out at the wrong time.

But the problem w/a competitor is, ESPN has locked up the rights to all major sports (with the exception of the NHL...and it's up for debate how much of a "major" sport it is now thanks to grand arsehole #1 Gary Bettman).

That's what Versus is trying to do w/the NHL, bull riding, etc... They are showing fringe sports that ESPN used to do when it had nothing to fill air time with. Unfortunately, unless there's a complete revolt against pro sports and continued dwindling ratings (which actually are happening), ESPN's style won't change. We'll all just have to find new outlets for our highlights and disregard the boys in Bristol.

Cheese_Ed

• Walk-On
  • Sniff my dairy air.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 03:43:34 PM »
C'mon, he picks Diener over Earl Boykins?  Diener's got at least 6 inches and 30 pounds on Boykins - the only guy in the NBA that I outsize in both height and weight... and I'm a thinly sliced string Cheese.

What about TJ Ford?  He's fairly small and possibly takeable.  Is he still tender in the neck area at all?  Maybe a nice headlock to work it over a bit.

There's no rule that we have to be able to catch these guys first is there?

Coincidence that both of my candidates are former Bucks?  Not saying Milwaukee's been soft the last few years, but...  ::)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
C'mon, he picks Diener over Earl Boykins?  Diener's got at least 6 inches and 30 pounds on Boykins - the only guy in the NBA that I outsize in both height and weight... and I'm a thinly sliced string Cheese.

What about TJ Ford?  He's fairly small and possibly takeable.  Is he still tender in the neck area at all?  Maybe a nice headlock to work it over a bit.

There's no rule that we have to be able to catch these guys first is there?

Coincidence that both of my candidates are former Bucks?  Not saying Milwaukee's been soft the last few years, but...  ::)

I read once that Earl Boykins can bench something like 350 lbs. One punch would put you on your ass. People forget how strong, pound for pound, these guys are.
We Are Marquette

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »
You have to love the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network.

I live in Connecticut and have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with ESPN.  My problem with the network is the MTV-icizing of sports and the negative effect they have on the quality of the games I love and watch, particularly basketball.

The east coast bias thing is not true, however.  Sure they show the Red Sox and Yankees a lot, but that is because they get comparatively huge ratings when they do.  The Red Sox and Yankees have huge fan bases all over the country.  They have huge followings wherever they go on the road.  I have the MLB package, and in interleague play the Braves and Padres announcers marveled at how the Red Sox fans outnumbered the home team fans for their games.  When they go on the road, Yankees and Red Sox fans outnumber Baltimore fans in Baltimore, Tampa Bay fans in Tampa Bay, maybe even Toronto fans in Toronto.  Believe me, unless they're playing each other, there's not more than 5% of the crowd rooting against them in their own parks.

As a Jets fan, I feel like I see a lot more on ESPN about the Colts and the Packers and the Bears, etc than I do about the Jets.  That's because there is more interest in those teams than there is in the Jets.  I don't think there's a midwestern bias in football. 

New York and New England are probably the only places in the country where baseball is the most popular sport, so they get more coverage. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 01:45:30 PM »
Who says ESPN will sell its soul for a buck oh five?

Per Deadspin

"Because cross promotion is how Bristol revolves around the sun, next week, rather than forcing Michael Wilbon to pretend like he cares about this crap, they're handing the reins to the cast of I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry. Specifically, Kevin James and Jessica Biel, of whom we have chosen the one photo that isn't hot, because we're masochists.

Mike Greenberg will be moderating and attempting to hide his erection. For Kevin James."

http://deadspin.com/sports/who-is-now/espn-brings-whos-now-in-for-a-tuneup-278125.php
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
I love Bill Simmons, however he lost a little respect from me...
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 12:02:27 AM »
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16493

about the 10th question reads:

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I think I could take Travis Diener.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »
CtWarrior - How can you honestly believe that ESPN has no East Coast bias? It imbeds everything they do.  I understand that Yankees/Red Sox might have more fans, but does that mean they have to behave as though those are the only two teams that matter?  Regardless of how well the Yankees are doing, they almost always are the lead on Baseball Tonight and are discussed ad naseam on every broadcast. Any thing that happens concerning the Yankees is major news, even when its talk for talks sake.
In regard to football, ESPN is dying for the Giants to win.  Imagine how much press the Giants would have had if they made the playoffs.  I know more about Tiki Barber than I care to know and what did he ever win.  As for the Jets, I don't think they get the pub the Giants do, but Greenburg talks about them so much on his show that once again it smacks of a bias.
As for NBA, the knicks are well-represented.  They're not good, but ESPN features them as much as possible.  The only reason why there is no bias seen in college sports is b/c there is no college in the state of New York that has a great sports tradition.  But the Rutgers story got plenty of play last year.