[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shumpert Update  (Read 9947 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Shumpert Update
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
Illinois is no longer in the running for Oak Park star Iman Shumpert

looks like the pared down list might have been recanted --

http://marquettebasketball.blogspot.com/2007/07/iman-shumpert-trims-list.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:19:29 AM by NYWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »
I'm convinced that's a face saving measure, but who really knows.  It actually puts Illinois in a bit of a bind.  Here we have a "list" that doesn't have them on it, they lost two studs yesterday making it perhaps even more unlikely another top kid wants to play there but now they are "not off the list"....so does Illinois continue to recruit him hard knowing in the back of their mind they have a very small chance?

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 02:05:22 PM »
he has narrowed his college choices to five--Bradley, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Marquette and North Carolina.

if he wants to remain somewhat close to home, who else really could the choice be???

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »
he has narrowed his college choices to five--Bradley, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Marquette and North Carolina.

if he wants to remain somewhat close to home, who else really could the choice be???

Bradley or MU

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 02:29:45 PM »
Bradley or MU

Of course, Dunigan said the same thing and committed to Oregon.

Regardless, NFW is Shumpert going to Bradley.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
I don't believe that is possible, at least as the NCAA heirarchy of scholarships is concerned. If he plays soccer and basketball, then any athletic scholarship automatically is attributed to basketball. That way, schools can't circumvent the scholarship limit by giving full athletic scholarships for basketball "walk-ons." I believe the same is true of football, with football scholies at the top of the heirarchy.

Nope. He'll be a scholarship soccer player who will play basketball as a walk-on....just like Marcus West years ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=596980

I saw that article too but I knew it had to be wrong, and here it is from the NCAA rulebook:

15.5.8.2 Basketball.

A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other than football) shall be counted in basketball.

So the only options are that he's getting an academic scholarship and technically walking-on to both sports or he's only playing soccer under an athletic schollie
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 08:45:37 AM »
That is one of the dumbest rules I've ever heard. If you're going to make the soccer team w/o a doubt and get a butt load of playing time but would be a 10th or 11th possibility for the basketball team, if not lower, there's no way that should be the case where the schollie has to go for basketball. What about if a guy would play football and basketball or plays baseball and basketball at an SEC school where they pride themselves on their baseball teams? Does basketball always take precidence which is what that rule sounds like, herbo?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
What about if a guy would play football and basketball or plays baseball and basketball at an SEC school where they pride themselves on their baseball teams? Does basketball always take precidence which is what that rule sounds like, herbo?

Basketball has priority over everything except football.  I don't recall exactly, but the rule was put in place to stop basketball and football teams from not using another scholarship by stashing players in another sports.  I think football ends up having priority over everything because that was the sport where the most problems were coming from.  So if you are on the football team you can't get a scholarship for another sport, even if it's basketball.  You'd have to be using a football schollie.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »
so let's start up a "football" team.  We could have 40+ walkons to our basketball program getting a free ride to boot.  We could then forfeit every football game (or at least play really really badly to minimize injury and reduce tiredness).  I am sure some schools would schedule us to get the guaranteed "win". ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »
and kill the strength of their schedule in the process.  :D

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »
and kill the strength of their schedule in the process.  :D

true.. but it might make the difference in them having a winning record (and thus be bowl eligible) or not.  Hmm.. I could see a conference of such teams too.. what's the tie-break if both teams forfeit?  :D

Further, you could do the sneak attack approach.. take a few years doing it like that and then actually field a real team when no one is looking and go undefeated.  The possibilities are endless!  8)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
I don't believe that is possible, at least as the NCAA heirarchy of scholarships is concerned. If he plays soccer and basketball, then any athletic scholarship automatically is attributed to basketball. That way, schools can't circumvent the scholarship limit by giving full athletic scholarships for basketball "walk-ons." I believe the same is true of football, with football scholies at the top of the heirarchy.

Nope. He'll be a scholarship soccer player who will play basketball as a walk-on....just like Marcus West years ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=596980

I saw that article too but I knew it had to be wrong, and here it is from the NCAA rulebook:

15.5.8.2 Basketball.

A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other than football) shall be counted in basketball.

So the only options are that he's getting an academic scholarship and technically walking-on to both sports or he's only playing soccer under an athletic schollie

Thanks,  I forgot where I kept my copy of the NCAA rulebook, but then remembered it is right between my copies of the taxonomy and etymology of platypi and portugese for dummies 
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »
The rule was put into place because teams were putting guys on the tennis team that were playing football, or something like that, and never playing/practicing the sport they were on scholarship for.  It was probably going on all over the country but I believe the big 12 is the reason why the rule exists. 

Theres a lot of weird rules but I believe the Hierarchy goes, Football, Basketball, Ice Hockey, Everything else

Basically those are the revenue sports, in order of revenue, and then non-revenue sports. 

There is a caveat where someone can compete for 2 seasons in a non-revenue sport and then after that they can practice with a Revenue sport.  However once they play in a single game their scholarship must count towards that revenue sport.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:59:41 PM by herboturbo »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
I'm assuming this rule was put into place because of Marcus West.  ;)
SS Marquette

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Not that I'm suggesting this as an alternative, but I started thinking about the Crawford situation with the Astros.   If an MLB team can pay a kids tuition, who else could pay the bill on his behalf?  It seems like there would have to be a rule against boosters simply paying the bill.

What about the head coach?  Could he pay a kids' tuition out of his own pocket, then have him walk on? 

What about a coach's kid, who presumably would get a scholie as part of the employee benefit package?   

What about a coach being appointed guardian?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 08:27:28 PM »
What about a coach being appointed guardian?

That would have been HILARIOUS to see when Hubby Bear was at UC!
SS Marquette

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 02:31:45 PM »
77ncaachamps, you're gonna have to change that pic on the bottom of your posts once a new picture of Travis in a Pacers jersey comes out.

feedback