[Today at 10:42:24 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brutal! New "logo" on tap  (Read 7186 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Brutal! New "logo" on tap
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:08 AM »
I borrowed this from the other board.

http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE_Marquette_Golden_Eagles/Nike_Marquette_Golden_Eagles_Navy_Blue_Ladies_Classic_Logo_Long_Sleeve_T-shirt

The question is, who would be caught dead wearing something like that?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Brutal! New "logo" on tap
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:41:12 AM »
Hmm .. I'm not sure yet.  Beside it being the GE, that might be a cool looking icon.

Edit: Hmm..looks like a cousin to Iowa or S. Miss.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:14:47 AM by mu_hilltopper »

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
Brutal?  I think that's SWEET!  Definintely a refreshing change from the old GE logo.

But, I thought the university was trying to get away from using the Golden Eagles and wanted to be known as just Marquette or MU.  Interesting.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »
No matter what the logo was, PRN would have hated it.  Anyone surprised at all?  Frankly, I could not care less.  If it helps MU sell more merchandise, I am all for it.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »

http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE_Marquette_Golden_Eagles/Nike_Marquette_Golden_Eagles_Navy_Blue_Ladies_Classic_Logo_Long_Sleeve_T-shirt

The only item that logo was on was a women's shirt.  Maybe they have this logo for some items for the ladies.  FWIW, my wife liked it.  MU would not be the only school with alternitive logos for womens athletics.  Ohio State uses a script O for women's and a block O for men's teams.  I think Tenn has a slightly different logo as well.  Just a possibility I'm throwing out there. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »
At least it looks better than the actual mascot!!!  :D

But forget that shirt...I LOVE this one!
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »
No matter what the logo was, PRN would have hated it.  Anyone surprised at all?  Frankly, I could not care less.  If it helps MU sell more merchandise, I am all for it.

You actually think people are going to buy merchandise with that on it? No true MU fan would purchase anything with that mascot on it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

You actually think people are going to buy merchandise with that on it? No true MU fan would purchase anything with that mascot on it.

No true MU fan would boycott buying apparel to support the athletic dept because of a logo or a nickname. Do you even own any MU gear?? Or do you show up at games in a T-shirt and jeans??  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
I have some MU gear -- but I would NEVER, EVER buy something with that thing on it. If you had any concept of the proud Warrior history and how they university made this decision, you wouldn't either.

By the way, you really have a problem with people wearing a t-shirt and jeans? Would you mind explaining why? Did your mother tell you that after you reach a certain age, you're supposed to wear an oxford shirt and wool slacks?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »

Sorry PRN...I can't agree with you on this one even though I do with most Warrior related stuff.  I don't think its brutal, I don't particularly care for it but it's better then our original flat, one dimensional eagle logo. 

I'd much prefer a talon without the bird's head...sharp talons going for the kill.

Doesn't really matter, I won't and don't buy anything that says Golden Eagles on it and this won't change it.  I have a ton of MU stuff and continue to buy a couple items a year, just nothing with the GE or GE name on it.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
i think im on PRN's side with this one.  this new logo is hideous.  i personally would never buy a shirt like that.  and if i had to choose between the 2 golden eagle logos, i would definetely choose the original. 

however some people will buy it, so it cant be all that bad.  its sorta reminds me of the new leprachuan logo ND is putting on some tshirts...they are also hideous but people are buying them.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »
i think im on PRN's side with this one.  this new logo is hideous.  i personally would never buy a shirt like that.  and if i had to choose between the 2 golden eagle logos, i would definetely choose the original. 

however some people will buy it, so it cant be all that bad.  its sorta reminds me of the new leprachuan logo ND is putting on some tshirts...they are also hideous but people are buying them.

you're right...that new leprachuan logo and the new MU logo have their similarities.

but on another note, i hate how MU has licensed the logo out to be put on Crocs...does anyone else hate those shoes as much as i do?

http://shop.marquette.edu/product_p/16600.htm

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »
It's definitely not original, but the Eagle logo is better than the old one. And what are you gonna do? There are so many f-ing schools w/the G.Eagle as their mascot, they are bound to look the same.

But, for once, I'm with PRN. I do own things w/the golden eagle logo on them, but that's only because MU practically forces it on everything even if it's really small. I specifically search for MU gear at the spirit shop that doesn't have the g.eagle on it, or at least it's really small and on the back of something.

I do think the new "MU" logo is sweet, though.

jtate15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 09:00:14 PM »
I too, nd3boy, hate those crocs as well. I've heard valid excuses for wearing them, such as comfort, but i don't care.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »

This is what I had in mind

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 12:11:08 AM »

you're right...that new leprachuan logo and the new MU logo have their similarities.

but on another note, i hate how MU has licensed the logo out to be put on Crocs...does anyone else hate those shoes as much as i do?

http://shop.marquette.edu/product_p/16600.htm

The young kids love crocs, that's why they sell.  My kids wear them all the time.  Now, the ones you showed...the adult ones...not on my feet...never.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 05:45:04 AM »
I too, nd3boy, hate those crocs as well. I've heard valid excuses for wearing them, such as comfort, but i don't care.

I use a pair as shower shoes at the gym.  They work out much better than regular sandals plus they're supposed to be antibacterial
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 05:49:01 AM »
I have some MU gear -- but I would NEVER, EVER buy something with that thing on it. If you had any concept of the proud Warrior history and how they university made this decision, you wouldn't either.

By the way, you really have a problem with people wearing a t-shirt and jeans? Would you mind explaining why? Did your mother tell you that after you reach a certain age, you're supposed to wear an oxford shirt and wool slacks?

I don't really like the new logo either... but I'm not sure that somebody who purchases it doesn't have "any concept of the proud Warrior history...".

I mean, I get that people feel passionate about it... but let's not make it something that it isn't. I think MU has deserved criticism for the whole "gold" fiasco, but I also think the university has done a great job marketing the new MU logo since then.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »
I'm with Chicos on the shirt, it's not hideous but I definitely won't be buying it or wearing it if I got it as a gift. I refuse to buy or wear anything w/ the GE on it but will still own and wear MU stuff...I mean, I have about 25-30 Marquette shirts for crying out loud...just none w/ a silly eagle on it...(and yes, I have bought my fair share of them...not all were free)  :)

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 09:25:21 AM »

I'd buy this one if it had a leprachaun in the talons. (or a bearcat, cardinal, badger, panther)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:30:39 AM by Phi Iota Gamma 84 »
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »

Chicos -- I think you're on to something here.

Of course, Marquette is much more concerned with being as generic as possible. Their "creative" minds aren't capable of coming up with something original like that, which would push the actual "chicken" to the background.

jtate15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »

I use a pair as shower shoes at the gym.  They work out much better than regular sandals plus they're supposed to be antibacterial

Again, another valid excuse, which i can accept. as shower shoes and house shoes, crocs makes alot of sense. what i can't stand is seeing them worn as street shoes. and kids can wear anything and it's fine, it's expected. adults, not so much.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 11:50:06 AM »

Again, another valid excuse, which i can accept. as shower shoes and house shoes, crocs makes alot of sense. what i can't stand is seeing them worn as street shoes. and kids can wear anything and it's fine, it's expected. adults, not so much.

for showers and for kids they are fine, i just can't rationalize wearing them around as an adult.  But if they make money for the university...then go ahead and sell them.  you just won't see me sporting a pair around campus next fall.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »
A lot of health care professionals wear them at hospitals...kind of like those doctors who wear Birkenstocks or anyone who wears scrubs.  I don't think they'd fly at my corporate office. ;)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »
Crocs are the ugliest footwear I have ever seen.  If you above the age of seven and wear them you should get smacked in the back of the head. 

President Bush wore a pair with shorts and black socks recently while golfing.  That should tell you all you need to know about how silly and asthetically revolting those "shoes" are.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
Hmm .. I'm not sure yet.  Beside it being the GE, that might be a cool looking icon.

Edit: Hmm..looks like a cousin to Iowa or S. Miss.

Resembles the Arizona Cardinal as well.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:06:14 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 01:04:10 PM »
and the loserville cards too.. ech!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 01:07:54 PM »

We Are Marquette

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »

yeah, but the MU one doesn't have teeth. I never knew cardinals had teeth.  ???
But I like to throw handfuls...

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 01:49:49 PM »
I thought they only had shirtless frat clowns.

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

jtate15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »
i guess the bigger issue is that our mascot is a bird at all. from the given examples, there just don't seem to be too many ways to design an aggresive looking bird, or people just aren't creative.

Although I'm a golden eagle by class, i'd much rather be a warrior. i do however quite enjoy the "MU" monogram.

i don't see why we had to go and design a new eagle. i like the old on better too, becuase its design was patterned after the previous warrior logo.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 08:08:41 AM »
jtate15, gotta agree, no need for a new eagle, just stick w/ the MU monogram like Rutgers w/ their R and Nova w/ their V.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 08:48:39 AM »
jtate15, gotta agree, no need for a new eagle, just stick w/ the MU monogram like Rutgers w/ their R and Nova w/ their V.

Yep. I agree with that as well. The new MU monogram is pretty cool looking. Looks updated and fresh, but still somewhat traditional. Also, it gives us a blue and gold MU that cannot be confused with Michigan.

And, I kind of liked the original eagle logo. It was pretty classy looking. I'm not into the really cartoony stuff.

Oh well. Hopefully this is just an alternate logo or something... I think with all of the money MU spent and made switching to the new MU monogram, I doubt they are going to get another logo.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 09:04:46 AM »
Is this new logo on other merchandise besides the women's shirt?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
I was on the spirit shop website earlier the other day and I didn't see it on any other merchandise. Didn't look painstakingly close but by browsing through I'd say no.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 09:19:46 AM »
Well, unless the university is planning to make this the offical new logo, replacing the monogram, then I really don't see what the big deal is about.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »
Give them time. This thing hasn't even been officially "unveiled."

It's apparent to me that they believe people don't buy anything with the old stain on it because it's the logo that bothers them. It's a joke. They believe that, if they simply change the thing, they'll increase merchandise sales.

They don't seem to understand that stuff referring to our pathetic nickname will NEVER sell! Nobody wants to be associated with it.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »
PRN, just curious, when did you graduate?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
Before 1994, I can tell you that!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 12:02:57 PM »

Give them time. This thing hasn't even been officially "unveiled."

It's apparent to me that they believe people don't buy anything with the old stain on it because it's the logo that bothers them. It's a joke. They believe that, if they simply change the thing, they'll increase merchandise sales.

They don't seem to understand that stuff referring to our pathetic nickname will NEVER sell! Nobody wants to be associated with it.

I know the university doesn't have the best track record with logos and mascots, but I don't think it's realistic to assume that MU is going to screw up every current/future marketing project.

The marketing department and the University overall have done a great job with the following projects:

Al McGuire Center
Selling out MU games (team performance helps greatly, but still 10 years ago nobody thought we could sell out)
Selling the program to the students (student ticket sales are at an all time high)
Marketing MU merchandise (you may not like all of it, but it is more available than ever before)
Marketing the school in general (apps and enrollment are at an all time high)
Television/pre-season tournies - Obviously team performance is the biggest factor here, but also the school has to be savvy enough to take advantage and kick in some doors. Previously, MU was not on the national stage nearly as much

Some large mistakes have been made in the past, but some major successes have also been also been achieved.

Maybe this new logo is something limited (for the record, I don't like it either).

Hopefully MU can keep the successes coming and keep the gaffes back in 1994 and 2005.

feedback