[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Visiting Chicago and Milwaukee  (Read 14659 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
OT: Visiting Chicago and Milwaukee
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:15:15 AM »
Alright folks, this west coast boy is going "home" to the third coast and it's been a while (7 years!).

I am requesting two things:

- Chicago: Where to stay (downtown and in Chicagoland), where to eat, where to visit, and what to do. I want to stay downtown for at least one night.

-Milwaukee: Where to stay, where to eat, where to visit, and what to do. MU, of course, is on the list automatically.

I'm not rich nor poor, but looking for a great experience so please keep that in mind. Aiming for an early August visit for about 5-6 days.

Now...shoot away!  ;D
SS Marquette

spartan3186

• All American
Re: OT: Visiting Chicago and Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »
As far as food goes...

Milwaukee: Soblemans is almost a must for lunch one day, it continues to be my favorite place in Milwaukee. Also Saz's is a good option for lunch or dinner. Calderone Club has very good Italian if you are looking to go that route. Those three are all reasonably priced ranging from 6.75 (sobleman burger) to 20 dollar entrees (Calderone Club).

If you are looking for something a bit more upscale the following restraunts are also very good
Coast
5 O'Clock Steak House
Cush
Yannis

Those all have excellent food and good service but are much more upscale than the previous 3 mentioned

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »
When in August?  Go to Irish Fest, Aug 16-19.  Best festival on the Lake, bar none!  http://www.irishfest.com/

QPSS70

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »
Haven't stayed in either because I live here, but a couple lower profile places to stay in Milwaukee that you might consider are the Ambassador Hotel and County Clare. 

The Ambassador was completely remodeled in the last couple years.  It's close to MU and downtown, but the rates are probably lower than the big downtown hotels. 

County Clare has about 10 rooms.  You have your own pub/restaurant right below and it's not far from Water Street bars.  It might be filled however during Irish Fest. 

Hilltopper mentioned Irish Fest but also consider that State Fair runs through August 12th which draws a lot of people from out-state to area hotels, so book soon.

Too many good places to eat in Milwaukee to recommend one in particular, but for old times sake, Miss Katie's, Real Chili and Angelo's are still going strong.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 01:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far.

Keep them coming!
SS Marquette

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »
Only one place to stay in Milwaukee:  Pfister Hotel.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 02:34:03 PM »
Indeed, I'll bet that every downtown hotel is nearly booked in August because each weekend is a festival .. weddings .. state fair .. etc.

You should book a room at Mashuda for old times' sake.  Cheap.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »
A great upscale place to stay in Milwaukee is Hotel metro on Milwaukee Ave.  On the same street are several fantastic restaurants (Zarlettis for good Italian, Cubanitas, Sakatumi for a trendy restaurant with great sushi and Carnivore for one of the best steaks in town).  On the same street you also have some upscale clubs/bars including Kennedi's and Eve.  Not for everyone, but if you can afford it and are looking for great food at a price and great nightlife, I'd recommend Hotel Metro and Milwaukee Ave.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 02:55:35 PM »
Indeed, I'll bet that every downtown hotel is nearly booked in August because each weekend is a festival .. weddings .. state fair .. etc.

You should book a room at Mashuda for old times' sake.  Cheap.

Seriously.

How much...for an alum?
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 04:02:30 PM »
http://www.marquette.edu/alumni/reunions/planahead07.shtml

Stay in the dorms at Straz Tower
Each room has a private bathroom, twin beds, linen service, air conditioning and an alarm clock. Cost is $43 per night/single and $58 per night/double, plus tax.  Make your reservation by calling Residence Life Conference Services at (414) 288-7208.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
Milly-Wau-Kay

Lodging:  Two best for quality are Pfister, Hotel Metro.  3rd place would be Hilton(used to be Marc Plaza, or Hyatt) Wyndham is now a Intercontinental and remodeled.  (but I haven't stayed in the new version, not a fan of old Wyndham version)

Eats:  Can only really recommend Real Chili by MU Rah Rah.  As for elsewhere, Mexican, I enjoy Botana's.(5th and National)  Steak?  Lots of places to choose from.(Coerpers, Chop House, etc..would be a couple I like over some of the others) Seafood, limited options, Moceans is overpriced by a lot and service not so great but decent seafood.  Bar food, Hooligans,(North Ave) very good bar food. 

Since you haven't been back in 7 years, go to areas that have changed, 3rd Ward, 5th Ward.  ...Water Street is very young, and campus will be very quiet in summer, but take a lap.  Milwaukee Ave by Hotel Metro has several other options,(sushi, cubanitas) and more in Brewer's Hill and the East side for cocktails and eats.

Try some outdoor cocktails or dining(Milwaukee doesn't get great weather many months). 

Milwaukee imo has progressed more in the last 5 years than many of the previous years prior. 

La Merenda is a friend's restaurant 1st and National, new place, International eats of all kinds, great place, small plate shared food dining.  Highly recommended.

Spend a little time by the water.(River and or Lake)

Chicago:  Stay downtown, not in Chicagoland.  Lots of options, based on cost, value, style.  Again, weather, take a $20 architectural boat cruise for 1 hr 15 min.  Highly recommended.  Can pick it up at Michigan Ave, or Navy Pier etc...but otherwise skip Navy Pier.  I would stick to outdoor pursuits, ...Cubs game, neighborhoods exploration, festivals.  At night, try 2nd City or a comedy show or a band at a club.  I'd save the fine museums or Aquarium for another trip with worse weather, unless that is what you want to do.  Food choices are a long list. 

W Hotel, Kimpton Hotels, House of Blues hotel, Omni(every room is a suite) Sheraton, many others....to choose from that I think are solid.  Also, sometimes the business catered hotels sometimes offer weekend deals.  You can stay at nice downtown Chicago Hotel for $100 on priceline and other options...to keep in mind. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
My wife and I, believe it or not, stayed at the old Ambassador Hotel back in February. They totally redid the place, and it's very nice.

thelost

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:02 AM »
cubs and brewers games are a must

Eye

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »
Anybody know the name of the seafood place just north of the Chicago River in downtown Chicago? At the intersection of something like North Columbus and East North Water? Went there three or four years ago when I was with some buddies on a Cubs trip, and had a great time there, just can't remember the name of the place. If anybody has the name, that'd be my recommendation if you're with friends in downtown Chicago.
GO WARRIORS!

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 02:05:54 AM »
Please keep them coming! I'm writing down your suggestions and doing some searches and will be talking to my gf soon! Thanks for those who provided input!
SS Marquette

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 08:23:19 AM »
Mashuda probably won't work. They're remodelling it right now or doing something but I know it's a hard hat zone and will be for a while yet.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 09:55:51 AM »
Couple of suggestions for meals in Milwaukee.  If you are there on a Friday I highly recommend going on a brewery tour at Lakefront Brewery then stay for the fish fry.  You are going to have to get there early because the tour is extremely popular as is the fish fry but totally worth it.  Tours start at 3 in the afternoon.  The fish fry is good because not only is the fish good, but they have multiple fish options as well as other non-fish options for those who don't want fish fry.  I will also second Houligans on North Ave for very good bar food, plus they have great outside seating for good people watching.  I'm a big fan of Paddy's Pub for beers, fun outside seating, its a block north of North Ave on Murray.

As for Chicago, the Holiday Inn City Centre, is a pretty good hotel in a convenient location downtown.  Its two blocks east of Michigan Ave and restaurants like the original Pizzeria Uno and ESPN Zone.  Its reasonably prized for a downtown Chicago hotel.  If you are looking for a good lunch place in Chicago, I would highly recommend Portillo's.  They are a chain in Chicago but its still really good burgers.  Its right near the intersection of Clark and Ontario.  If you want Italian, Italian Village is a great place.  I think its on Jackson, somewhere around LaSalle.  Also good late night drink place, if you are willing to buy way overpriced drinks is the 96th floor of the Hancock Building, but at least there isn't a cover.  The best view of the city is in the ladies room in the bar area, don't ask how I know ;).  Go on a clear night to make it worth the money.

If I think of anymore I will pass it on.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
As far as downtown Chicago hotels go, I've always had good experiences at the Swissotel. It's reasonably priced, has great views (especially if you've got a lakefront room) and within easy walking distance of most places you may want to visit, i.e. Millennium Park, Grant Park, Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, etc.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »
Not at all sure, but I think you may be talking about Shaw's Crab House in Chicago. Very good. As far as Hotels go, Omni is great, Intercontinental, the Wyndham just of Michigan is fine, all about the same in price with ideal locations. Avoid the Hilton and Towers on Michigan in particular. The Hyatt on Wacker is not one of my favorites either. Soemone else said go to Portillo's. Heed that advice.

Stay at the Pfister when in Milwaukee. Eat at Zarletti. Elsa's is still good.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »
Best seafood in chicago hands down is Catch 35 on wacker near state.   Joe's stone crab close behind.  If you are doing chicago though, you can;t go wrong witht the deep dish pizza.  Lou Malnatti's is my favorite, unless you make it up to lincoln park -- then Pequods on clybourn is the best.  Architecture tour boat/cubs game/second city are all great ideas.  and make sure to get a drink at the signature lounge at the 95th floor of the hancock if you haven't done that yet. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »
I agree with portillos for lunch.... but do not get a burger if you are there. They are famous for their italian beef sandwiches and hot dogs. I reccomend the Beef N' Cheddar Croissant with hot peppers.... it is to die for

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
Portillo's is great, and really will give you an idea of what Chicago-style food is all about.

For places in the Loop, avoid the tourist trap around Ohio and Michigan.  If you eat at a place like ESPN zone or one of the other prole-chains like PF Changs you are wasting your time in Chicago.

Tip, look for a Vienna Beef sign outside of a restaurant.  Or, and Old Style sign outside of a bar.  Those are hallmarks of true Chicago establishments.

For bars, you can't go wrong in the Lincoln Park area.  Take the red line El to Fullerton and walk around and you will be surrounded by great bars and restaurants.

Also, there are a lot of great restaurants and bars in Lakeview, which can be reached by the Fullerton, Belmont, and Paulina stops on the El.  You can also take a cab to Belmont and Lincoln and walk around and you are no more than one block from a restaurant or bar.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
If you want steak in Chicago, Lowry's is a great place.  They have great prime rib and the ambiance is awesome.  Can't remember what streets its on, but its near Michigan and Ohio I think.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

dougsmith401

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »
If you can delay your trip a little, Irish Fest in Milwaukee, from August 16 to 19, is one great party.  You can get the details at www.irishfest.com or www.aohmilwaukee.com.  If not, I suggest that you check out County Clare as a spot to stay and the many Irish pubs that Milwaukee has to offer.  Go to www.aohmilwaukee.com/blog.html and scroll down to the Irish Pub Guide.  If you have other interests, the best Web site of its kind for Milwaukee is www.onmilwaukee.com.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:03:19 PM »

Chicago:  Stay downtown, not in Chicagoland.  Lots of options, based on cost, value, style.  Again, weather, take a $20 architectural boat cruise for 1 hr 15 min.  Highly recommended.  Can pick it up at Michigan Ave, or Navy Pier etc...but otherwise skip Navy Pier.  I would stick to outdoor pursuits, ...Cubs game, neighborhoods exploration, festivals.  At night, try 2nd City or a comedy show or a band at a club.  I'd save the fine museums or Aquarium for another trip with worse weather, unless that is what you want to do.  Food choices are a long list. 

W Hotel, Kimpton Hotels, House of Blues hotel, Omni(every room is a suite) Sheraton, many others....to choose from that I think are solid.  Also, sometimes the business catered hotels sometimes offer weekend deals.  You can stay at nice downtown Chicago Hotel for $100 on priceline and other options...to keep in mind. 

For hotels in Chicago definately try Priceline or Hotwire. You won't be doing anything but sleeping there so you don't need a high end place and most of the hotels are a lot alike. The architecture cruise is very cool. Just look out for the Dave Matthew's Band's bus. Cubs or Sox game would be fun if it's a day game. At night there's a million places. If you're in your 20's or 30's try Lincoln Park (preppy) or Wicker Park/Bucktown (more alternative). If you are into clubs there are a lot of places in River North or in the West Loop's warehouse district around Fulton. If you're older stick to River North and the bars in there. It's pretty hard not to have fun in Chicago.
We Are Marquette

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »
I know nothing about it but I hear there is a Segway tour in Chicago. I imagine that would be a fast fun way to get around. The Italian Village is on Monroe around Clark. There are three restaraunts in one. I prefer the more casual dark one upstairs. The food is good but I would only go there if you are eating in the loop. The Chop House is a great steak place with some Chicago pictures. Try sitting on first floor.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 08:07:10 PM »
77ncaachamps, check your messages.
Ludum habemus.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 10:02:54 PM »
A couple chicago food suggestions

2 of the best steaks i have ever had have come from the following two resteraunts

Shula's Steak House
Stetson's Steak House

needless to say they are both VERY pricey. At each place dinner for 2 (dinner and dessert) not including drinks is around 120... im not sure on drink prices as i was underage when i took my date there.

Another really fun place for lunch in chicago is Oak Street Beachstro. I highly reccomend this place for the food and atmosphere. It is an outdoor resteraunt right on lake michigan (you literally walk off the sand to get into the resteraunt) the owner has imported palm trees to give it a tropical feel. Its a fun, casual, relaxing place... you get people in bathing suits off the lake as well as people is sports jackets before hitting up the theater, its a very interesting mix of people. They also have a nice variety of more tropical drinks. Its only open from mid April-Early September (weather pending) so its something to keep in mind during the summer months. http://www.oakstreetbeachstro.com/

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »
If you're going for steaks in Chicago, the best place hands down is Gibson's.

Even if you don't like the celebrity hang out that it is, and you don't mind being seated by 50 year old men with their 22 year old girlfriends, you can't beat it.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »
Some restaurant suggestions for Chicago:

Stay away from Italian Village - the Italian food is OK, but if you are only in town for a few days there are MUCH better places to eat.  Joe's Stone Crab is some of the best crab there is and a pretty good steak, but it is pricey.  If you are looking for Chicago Style Deep Dish pizza, check out Lou Malnatti's or Pizzano's, they are basically the same Pizza - two different brothers from the same family.  Lou's is a small little place with sports jerseys on the wall, Pizzano's is more of an italian feel to it - dark and quiet, both have great pizza.

More of a neighborhood place if you want to see a different side of Chicago, jump on a Blue Line to wicker park/bucktown and get off at the North and Damen stop.  There is a place called Piece - they have great pizza and great micro brews.  It is basically a glorified bar with Pizza - but they have some of the best ingredients for Pizza, a few different types of pizza (i.e. "White Pizza" which doesn't have red sauce but has olive oil and cheeze), and their beers are very tasty.  Plan accordingly though because this place gets PACKED.

The Lettuce Entertain You restaurants are all very good and not as crazy on price, but you can often find them in other cities.  Wildfire, Maggianos, etc. are very good and located right in river north (a few blocks north of the loop).

For steak, Lawry's (sp?), Morton's, Shulas, and Gibsons are all great, though I think many Chicagoans prefer Gibsons a bit more.

There are two really good Brazillian Steakhouses (all you can eat) which are great, Brazzaz and Fogo de Chao, both in River North.

Another fun place to check out is Ditka's restaurant, great food and he is in there a few nights a week.

One thing to be aware of is that at night, the Loop shuts down for the most part, so if you are staying there, you will have to walk into River North for most dining and entertainment.  There are a few decent places to grab a drink in R. North - Fado's (irish pub) is good for a pint, and a lot of people love Howl at the Moon (piano bar).

I strongly suggest that you spend some time on both of the following sites:
www.metromix.com
chicago.citysearch.com

Both have all the restaraunts and bars in the city, either reviewed or rated, or both.  Great resources for planning things in the city.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 02:13:50 PM »
Depending on budget, I strongly reccommend the Tremont in Chi, just off Rush and walkable to most everything.  Fun to sit in the viagra triangle around midnight, puff a cigar, drink a latte and watch the parade of humanity.  Don't skip old town for great restaurants and bars- Orso's on Shiller and Wells has a great beer garden, wide menu (super thin crust pizzas).  You might enjoy a drink at Will's Northwoods Inn-3030 N. Racine (Lakeview), John the owner is an attorney, grew up in northern WI.  The previously mentioned architectual boat tour is a must (sit on top near the docent, if possible).
In Milwaukee, I agree re Pfister and Hotel Metro- first choices.  Don't miss opportunity to sit on the river- lots of choices; ale house, rock bottom, john hawk's pub, riptide, etc. for a cocktail.  Hard to beat the steer steak at Butch's, Mo's has nice steak, but the thin crust pizza at Zafiro's on Farwell and Brady can't be beat.  Also previously mentioned La Merenda (got to plug former eagle pete's place) very good.  Ambassador (nother warrior) has a nice bar, good burgers, and will shuttle you to theater or elsewhere.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
I know nothing about it but I hear there is a Segway tour in Chicago. I imagine that would be a fast fun way to get around. The Italian Village is on Monroe around Clark. There are three restaraunts in one. I prefer the more casual dark one upstairs. The food is good but I would only go there if you are eating in the loop. The Chop House is a great steak place with some Chicago pictures. Try sitting on first floor.

Segway tour? That would be a great thing to do...if you're a complete dork.

Also, Gene and Georgetti's, while a bit long in the tooth, is widely considered to be more of an authentic steak joint than the trendy Gibson's or Shula's, which is part of a restaurant chain.

Find a neighborhood street fair, get a few beers and a couple of hot dogs. If there's a decent bad, it's better than any of the options I've heard here.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »
Also, if you are willing to venture out towards Miller Park for great steak I highly recommend 4th Base.  It looks like a dumpy little bar at like National and 52nd, south side of the street.  When you go inside it definitely looks like a dumpy little sports bar, but don't let the looks fool you.  Just outstanding steaks there.  You can pick your cut and you get all the fixings.  Its a little pricey but well worth it given how good the food is.  You can also get lunch there, the burgers are good as well, plus more reasonably priced.

Anyone else been there?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »
Also, if you are willing to venture out towards Miller Park for great steak I highly recommend 4th Base.  It looks like a dumpy little bar at like National and 52nd, south side of the street.  When you go inside it definitely looks like a dumpy little sports bar, but don't let the looks fool you.  Just outstanding steaks there.  You can pick your cut and you get all the fixings.  Its a little pricey but well worth it given how good the food is.  You can also get lunch there, the burgers are good as well, plus more reasonably priced.

Anyone else been there?

Been there a couple of times.  I agree the food is pretty good, but way over priced IMO.  Steaks in Milwaukee:  I prefer the Chop House at the Hilton to Mo's.  Still like Butch's--all the "supper club" extras.  Yanni's is OK, and Carnevor quite good, but also very pricey.  The relatively new Mason Street Grille at the Pfister is fabulous. 
Ludum habemus.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »
Mason Street Grill is fantastic. Stick of butter in every steak – like it should be. I like Butch’s 5 O’Clock Club downtown. Sabor is great – I have loved it every single time I have gone. Mo’s is WAY over priced. Either of the Super Clubs is great. Yanni’s – eh. Capital Grill is very nice but a chain. Chop House is nice as well. Savoy is not bad either.

For Italian go to Bartollata’s in Tosa or Mima’s on Brady. As for pizza I would recommend Zafiro’s on Farwell & Brady.

New places check out Water Buffalo – great food. But it can be a bear to get a table.

For Mexican, you cannot beat Cempazuchi on Brady. The only Mexican joint worth ANYTHING in the city of Milwaukee. The south side ones are flavorless hacks IMO. Botanna’s maybe being the exception.

The Philly Way is a great steak sandwich place – but not as good as the east coast. If you want great wings on a Thursday check out Points East Pub for the best grilled wings you can get.

For fine dinning you cannot beat BACCHUS. Hands down the best place in Milwaukee.

Stay away from Coast and Rip Tide for seafood. They are freaking terrible. The only decent place in the city (well West Allis) is Craw Daddy’s. Their seafood I believe is flown in on Tuesdays and Fridays. It is a nice Cajun joint.

For Fish Fry’s go to Hooligan’s on North Ave. Or else hit up Serb Hall on the South Side.

For something really unique check out Three Brothers for Serbian food. It is outstanding.

You must hit Sobelman’s in the valley. MUST cannot be stressed enough.

For bars, I would check out the Third Ward, Brady, North Ave. Bayview has some cool places as well. I personally cannot stand Milwaukee St. or Water St. Paddy’s Pub on Murray & North is a great place.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »
Is Coerper's 5 O'Clock Club still open? That was my favorite place in Milwaukee. Super shady 1960's feel, but great steak. Close to Ricky's on State for an after dinner drink too. I also really like Giovanni's in Milwaukee. I remember they had a NY Strip Vesuvio style that was excellent.

A post above mentioned a seafood place in Chicago on Wacker Dr. I think you were talking about McCormick and Schmidt's. There is one on Rush Street too. Both have great seafood, but the Rush location is better in the evenings.

If you like dry aged steaks, give David Burke's in Chicago a try, or if you are staying east of Michigan you can't go wrong with Capitol Grille.

4everwarriors

• All American
Coerpers Is Still...
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »
going strong, but under new ownership, nothing's changed. Giovanni, however, is history, past tense, tap city.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »
You guys wanna fatten me and my girl up?!? Dang!!! As a West Coastie, I was counting all of the steakhouses everyone was mentioning! It seems that all of the restaurants mentioned were steakhouses!!! LOL!

Just kidding. I'm planning on celebrating our anniversary in the Windy City (God and weather permitting) and a steakhouse would be just fine. ;) Now only if I could choose which one to go to!  :D

This thread is kinda running long on Chicago eateries (which I don't mind) but I guess Milwaukee is still the gastronomic step-sister of Chicago?!?

I recognize Saz's and Mo's but there are more I do NOT recognize. Hmmm...Still game for any tips!

Keep them coming...especially the "what to do's"...ya foodies!!!
SS Marquette

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 07:18:23 PM »
4th base is so overpriced and you never know what the cost is until you get your bill.  I haven't been there in a number of years because you could eat at a lot of fine restaurants for the same price.

I would throw out Tess (North/oakland) great patio, great food and a sister restaurant in the 3rd ward across from the Italian CC Holiday House.  Riverwalk Bistro is also good, next to Ale House on the river, good outdoor seating on the river.  

Would also recomend County Claire as a good alternative to the Pfister, etc,had people stay there last summer for our wedding and all liked it for the price and there is an Irish bar in the lobby.   The Knick and Osterio del ??? are right around the corner and good standbys for great patio dining.

Reading all these replies and thinking about good restaurants to recomend made me realize how many good restaurants we have for a city this size and the redevelopment of the river as a entertainment destination.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »
Milwaukee:  Check out Coquette Cafe in the 3rd Ward.  Reasonably priced, very good food.  My favorite place in Milwaukee.  Best food for the money around.  Very comfortable place, very much like being in France.  Three Brother's, while hard to find, is great.  It is in an old Schlitz tavern.  Very good food a Beard winner (hope I spelled that right).  If you want a 7 course meal type of place, upscale, more formal, try Sanfords in Milwaukee.  
Coepers in Milwaukee was recently on a top 7 steak house list in America (Saveur magazine) as was Gene and Georgetti's (Chicago; same magazine).  These are old style steak houses.  Coepers is like going to your uncles basement in the 70's as far as decore (or maybe even the 50's).  Not my taste, I like Mo's better or Chophouse because I'm not into the decore at Coepers.  Elsa's is still good and still serves a great hamburger.  The 3rd Ward also has some nice seating outside along the river if the weather is nice - both Milwaukee Al House and Riverwalk? have outdoor seating... Riverwalk has a great Mojito (at least to me, because I don't like the overly sweet Mojitos and Riverwalks is good).  As stated above, check out onmilwaukee.com and check out Getto's top 30 at jsonline.com

Chicago: If you want to go to one of the best, if not the best place in America (many magazines such as Gourmet, not just me saying this, as well as some food lovers that I know who eat everywhere) try Alinea in Chicago. I think their website is www.alinea.com   It isn't cheap and with wine and tip will set you back about 250 per person.  But amazingly, it is worth it.  It is that good.  Best service, best food, unique, and not stuffy despite being upscale - friendly staff.  Creative but still really good, the creativity isn't a substitute for great food like many upscale places.  Best place I've ever eaten at anywhere.  If you can afford it and have a couple of hours, Alinea is a once in a lifetime type of place.
  Hotels:  As for Milwaukee, the Hilton is good for the price if you can get it around $100 a night.  Pfister can get pricey but the Pfister and Hotel Metro are closer to night life, etc.  As for the Ambassador, West of Marquette, but I want to try it.  If your not driving, probably too far from the night life.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
Alinea:  The correct web address is: http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 07:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the corrected link. I saw this restaurant on TV before...some chic food critic was talking about the dangling food holders as a new eating experience.

It looks good and I'm all about taste, but if I plunked down close two Benjies and was STILL hungry...something's wrong here.  ;)
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
Could someone explain Sobelman’s?  Seems like there's a lot of love for the place .. what makes it so special?

http://www.milwaukeesbestburgers.com/about.html

Chili

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »
Could someone explain Sobelman’s?  Seems like there's a lot of love for the place .. what makes it so special?

http://www.milwaukeesbestburgers.com/about.html

Their signature burger is unreal. Trust us. They are fantastic.

4everwarriors

• All American
If You're Into...
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2007, 09:03:21 PM »
good food, visit Roots. Haven't had a bad meal there and it won't cost you a family jewel. Sit on the patio overlooking the Milwaukee "skyline," close your eyes and imagine you're in San Francisco.
For Sunday brunch, Bartolotta's Lake Park Bistro is a winner with the lady of your life, guaranteed.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
OT: Visisting Chicago and Milwaukee
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
good food, visit Roots. Haven't had a bad meal there and it won't cost you a family jewel. Sit on the patio overlooking the Milwaukee "skyline," close your eyes and imagine you're in San Francisco.
For Sunday brunch, Bartolotta's Lake Park Bistro is a winner with the lady of your life, guaranteed.

Both very good choices.  Roots is a bit on the "crunchy" side--but if you can score a patio table, the view of the city is, as 4ever indicated, sweet.  I also second 4ever's opinion of Lake Park for brunch--it's a can't miss. 

As to Sobleman's, Chili is correct, plus the building is old time Milwaukee, when the brewery's owned taverns outright and served pickled eggs, etc.   Plus, it's very close to campus, and the valley fields.
Ludum habemus.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »
One time we tried to go to Sobleman's before an MU soccer game and were denied secondary to the bar being closed.  Reason: Family reunion in Ohio per the sign on the door.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 07:52:44 AM »
I agree with the comments about Roots' atmosphere, especially outside, it's wonderful .. but not about the food.  The menu is just .. odd.  Never had a good meal there.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 08:13:16 AM »
If you are looking for one steakhouse for one meal in Chicago, Gibson's is definitely it. It is a bit of a place to see and be seen, but the food and atmosphere are also excellent.

I agree with the others who said skip 4th Base. For the same price you can sit down at a place like Mo's, Yanni's, etc. and get better food, service, and atmosphere.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
You can't go wrong with Gibson's. The only problem is that it can get a bit noisy and borderline rowdy in there on most nights. Rush Street is always bustling with activity, so, if you are looking for more of a relaxed romantic meal, it might not be the best fit. 

I'm with you on 4th base. The prices (or lack of stated prices) are ridiculious. I went there once and would never go back.

So, what took the place of Giovanni's?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:02:57 AM by MilTown »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
So, what took the place of Giovanni's?

The restaurant building has been torn down and replaced with a "multi-tenant retail center."  I guess that's what they call strip malls now. 

I liked Giovanni's a lot.  The location has some Milwaukee mob history.  The property once was the site of a gas station owned by Frank Balistreri, who was convicted of several federal charges in the early 1990s.   And there was the maître d that was gunned down after allegedly falling behind on his drug payment plan. 

Ludum habemus.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:12 PM »
Wow, I don't know how I missed that last time I was in Milwaukee. I guess I had one too many at the BC and Turners. That's too bad. Giovanni's had character. I mean, what other restaurant will chauffeur you around in a white limo before and after dinner? I'll never forget riding around in that limo with my parents during parents weekend.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
You won't leave hungry from Alinea.  But all other food will seem, well just like food that isn't very appealing.  It is that good, but alas, it is too pricey unless your really into food, etc.
Coquette Cafe, as stated, best place for the money I've been to anywhere.  Your girl will like it as will you.  Like being in Paris, but less expensive.  The Hanger Steak is very good if you've ever had it in Paris (with the frites and all). 
Three Brothers is great and very Milwaukee.  Hard to find.  But worth it.
As mentioned above, Lake Park Bistro, for brunch (or dinner) is a winner, very romantic place to take your girl.  Not Cheap.
Now, if/when Milwaukee gets a hip hotel in the 3rd Ward.... that will be the place to stay.  I am surprised someone hasn't already jumped on it.
Looking forward to hearing how the trip goes. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 10:37:56 PM »

Segway tour? That would be a great thing to do...if you're a complete dork.

Also, Gene and Georgetti's, while a bit long in the tooth, is widely considered to be more of an authentic steak joint than the trendy Gibson's or Shula's, which is part of a restaurant chain.

Find a neighborhood street fair, get a few beers and a couple of hot dogs. If there's a decent bad, it's better than any of the options I've heard here.

This is a fair assessment and probably the most accurate way to really experience Chicago. Stay away from any place that has a tour bus out front. Metromix is a good suggestion. Get in the neighborhoods if you can. You want Chinese, go to Chinatown, want Italian, go to Little Italy, Greektown for Greek, etc.

And if I see you on a Segway I will have no choice but to knock you on your ass. Consider that fair warning!
We Are Marquette

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
Don't make me get off my Segway and kick your asses!

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
is there anything going on this weekend in milwaukee?  some of my friends want to go up and i dont want to spend the whole time eating!!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »
is there anything going on this weekend in milwaukee?  some of my friends want to go up and i dont want to spend the whole time eating!!!

Bastille Days:  free and a pretty good party.  http://www.easttown.com/info/Bastille%20Days/bdindex

Brewers in town playing the Rockies.

Greek Fest at State Fair Park:  http://www.annunciationwi.com/Main/Festival%202006/Festival.html
Ludum habemus.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »

19 Bar pub crawl on North Ave. Saturday.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Don't make me get off my Segway and kick your asses!

We Are Marquette

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »

I want to see any of the crawlers tell me what the remaining 9 bars are after the 10th one  is hit :D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »

I want to see any of the crawlers tell me what the remaining 9 bars are after the 10th one  is hit :D

Not a problem. This is the 5th bi annual one.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »
Its amazing how many people are involved in that bar crawl.  I've been asked the last two years running to participate during the same but always have a conflict.  Want to do it one of these days.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2007, 02:22:49 PM »
we'll have about 100 on this one. good times had by all.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2007, 05:25:40 PM »
can you give more infor on the bar hopping thing?  ive never heard of this before.

thanks for all the ideas, even though i hate france the bastille day thing sounds like it might be cool to check out!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Well, this is what you do....

Start at Live on North Ave and have a beer or a shot (sometimes 2 or 3)...
then head off to...

BBC
Rascals
Elliots
Paddy's
Vitucci's
Eastsider
Red Dot
Champions
RC's
Judges
Can's
YNOT YNOT YNOT
WOW
Yield
Vox
Landmark Lanes
Hooligans
Rascals

Thats it.

Just get about 100 people together, make t-shirts, call the bars for specials and have fun.

Its a good day.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »
Big mistake putting Landmark Lanes last.  You're gonna wanna roll a few frames.  I can personally attest to a pub crawl gone bad with drunken double-ball rolling breaking the sweep mechanism.

Put it earlier, before major stupidity sets in.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2007, 12:02:21 AM »
I ride more like Bilary on the way to McDs.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2007, 01:09:39 AM »
Big mistake putting Landmark Lanes last.  You're gonna wanna roll a few frames.  I can personally attest to a pub crawl gone bad with drunken double-ball rolling breaking the sweep mechanism.

Put it earlier, before major stupidity sets in.

Landmark at the end is the best. Getting Caucasians and bowling blitzed is a staple. Plus, I just got done with league night so it is no big deal. Trust me, we have this down to a science. Rampage on!!!!

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »
Has anyone done the Saz's shuttle to Brewers games?  How crowded does it get in there?  How early do we need to show up for that?  Thanks

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 12:42:25 AM »
I just saw my cousins at my dad's 80th bday party and they took Segway tour.They are from CA and they said it was great. They were hesitant due to PRN and said it was great due to the amount of lakefront that they covered. They had one day and covered way more than they could have by foot. Call me a geek but they would do again for sure. Let me bow to PRN before my dress down.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2007, 04:21:49 AM »
Just thought about it...

What brewery tours do you recommend? I've been to Miller (do they still give out three "pints" of beer?) but haven't been to Sprecher.

Also, where is the Harley Davidson museum (or is there one)?
SS Marquette

Chili

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2007, 06:52:29 AM »
Just thought about it...

What brewery tours do you recommend? I've been to Miller (do they still give out three "pints" of beer?) but haven't been to Sprecher.

Also, where is the Harley Davidson museum (or is there one)?

In the order from best to worst...

Lakefront - easily the best
Miller - corporate but not bad
Sprecher - not worth your time

Also, the Harley Museum will not be open for another year.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
Breweries
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
I guess I'm biased becaused I've only been to Sprecher's . . . but I liked it.  It's fun to try their specialty sodas, they're pretty delish.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2007, 05:12:09 PM »
Lakefront is hands down the best in town.   Does anyone know if they still have Bernies Chalet in the Warehouse??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »
Lakefront is hands down the best in town.   Does anyone know if they still have Bernies Chalet in the Warehouse??

they have both of Chalet's that were at Third World Country Stadium. They took the slide off a year or two ago as they got sick of people trying to go down it. I was fortunate enough to have gotten a chance in 2000 to have gone down the slide before their insurance company told them no.