'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Rumors Question  (Read 14098 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Buzz Rumors Question
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
So I guess what you're saying is that when MU fans identified Sean Miller and Tony Bennett as potential targets for MU's coaching search, I was giving them too much credit for actually thinking about it and making the same rational decision that MU's AD would make. 

You're saying it was pure coincidence that MU fans identified rather quickly the first two candidates that MU actually pursued.  I guess we'll just disagree--I think that a team's fans are probably thinking much the same way as a team's AD.

But let's force you into a little English/Logic/Critical Thinking Skills lesson of your own: 
If you were the Iowa AD right now, why would you NOT at least put out a feeler to Buzz Williams? You have the money.  You're the flagship campus in state.  You have an arguably more secure conference future.  A bigger fan base. One of the 15 largest university-owned facilities in the country, currently getting a renovation that will make its practice facilities among the best in the nation.

I'm simply saying that your use of correlation was inaccurate. It is coincidence and nothing else. What message board typers wish/want/desire/dream has no correlation with the decisions an AD makes. Get a dictionary before you reply.
We Are Marquette

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »
Maybe Chicos can set me straight .... I thought the Big East had its own network, it's called ESPN.  Seriously, the original purpose of ESPN was to televise Uconn bball games.  Its headquartered in Bristol CT and stocked full of BE graduates.  When it comes to basketball, what conference gets a better billing than the BE on ESPN? (away from Duke, how much attention does the rest of ACC really get on ESPN?)

It is my understanding that they also get a lot of money from ESPN.  More than they would if they pulled their product off ESPN and put it on channel 685, the BE network.

the BE is one of many contracts at ESPN, many many contracts.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »
Yeah those message posters are really sharp cookies.

One guy on Rivals started a thread with the title "How about Scott Skiles?"

The moron didn't even know Skiles was coaching the Bucks.

Somebody else posted. "He is the head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks. I'll pass"

So let me get this straight.....One of them doesn't know Skiles coaches in the NBA and the guy who does says Skiles isn't good enough for IOWA?  :o

Are they so dense that they don't know how much NBA coaches get paid and that none of them would ever leave an NBA job for  a college job unless he got fired?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »
Maybe Chicos can set me straight .... I thought the Big East had its own network, it's called ESPN.  Seriously, the original purpose of ESPN was to televise Uconn bball games.  Its headquartered in Bristol CT and stocked full of BE graduates.  When it comes to basketball, what conference gets a better billing than the BE on ESPN? (away from Duke, how much attention does the rest of ACC really get on ESPN?)

It is my understanding that they also get a lot of money from ESPN.  More than they would if they pulled their product off ESPN and put it on channel 685, the BE network.

Well, it's just a marketing thing really. The Big East Network is a compilation of games done by ESPN Regional which then packages the games up for networks like SNY, MASN, etc.  The games cover 24 states and about 50,000,000 homes when you add in all the networks \ packages (ESPN Full Court) that are carrying them. 

But that's different then the Big Ten Network which is really a dedicated 24/7 channel that only plays Big Ten games and\or content (coaches shows, etc).  It's basically a 24/7 infomercial for fans in the Midwest and reminders to recruits in warm weather climates why they would never want to go there.   ;)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
Yeah those message posters are really sharp cookies.

One guy on Rivals started a thread with the title "How about Scott Skiles?"

The moron didn't even know Skiles was coaching the Bucks.

Somebody else posted. "He is the head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks. I'll pass"

So let me get this straight.....One of them doesn't know Skiles coaches in the NBA and the guy who does says Skiles isn't good enough for IOWA?  :o

Are they so dense that they don't know how much NBA coaches get paid and that none of them would ever leave an NBA job for  a college job unless he got fired?

In another thread they are debating if they should take Jay Wright or Jamie Dixon if both accepted their offers.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
CHatted with a Hawkeye buddy today, and after I got done ripping Pearl and all he had done his comment was....  "I think that is exactly what Iowa needs, great energy. Buzz really doesn't do much for me."  I just don't get it, oh well.  They will probably end up with someone like Chris Lowery from SIU.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »
Well, it's just a marketing thing really. The Big East Network is a compilation of games done by ESPN Regional which then packages the games up for networks like SNY, MASN, etc.  The games cover 24 states and about 50,000,000 homes when you add in all the networks \ packages (ESPN Full Court) that are carrying them. 

But that's different then the Big Ten Network which is really a dedicated 24/7 channel that only plays Big Ten games and\or content (coaches shows, etc).  It's basically a 24/7 infomercial for fans in the Midwest and reminders to recruits in warm weather climates why they would never want to go there.   ;)

Chico, based on what you know, would the BE make more money with their own network channel?  

And, these informericals are big for fat middle aged alumni (like me) but do you think this stuff sways any 18 year FB or BB recruit?  I'd be shocked if you say yes.

... to be fair I could see if mattering for a soccer player or a track runner.  The BTN has so much time to fill they can, or their parents and friends, DVR many of their games.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »
CHatted with a Hawkeye buddy today, and after I got done ripping Pearl and all he had done his comment was....  "I think that is exactly what Iowa needs, great energy. Buzz really doesn't do much for me."  I just don't get it, oh well.  They will probably end up with someone like Chris Lowery from SIU.

Are they low of their quota of players getting arrested on weapons charges?

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/01/01/four-tennessee-players-reportedly-arrested/

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 11:41:08 PM »
I thought maybe he was confused as to who Bruce Pearl was, but unfortunately he was not.  Then I asked why Pearl would leave UT, and the response, yep you guessed it, "Because it's the Big 10."
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:48 PM »
I thought maybe he was confused as to who Bruce Pearl was, but unfortunately he was not.  Then I asked why Pearl would leave UT, and the response, yep you guessed it, "Because it's the Big 10."
It's must be nice to live in their little happy world.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
I thought maybe he was confused as to who Bruce Pearl was, but unfortunately he was not.  Then I asked why Pearl would leave UT, and the response, yep you guessed it, "Because it's the Big 10."

Ask him this ... why is Kentucky paying Calipari $32 million (over 8 years)?  The highest paid coach in college bball.  KU has everything, facilities, reputation, tradition, rapid fans, huge arena, etc..  By his logic, shouldn't a coach take less money to go to this situation, not more?

If they get Pearl, it's only because of one reason ... they spend HUGE dollars, so many dollars that Tennessee lets him go.  Coaches like Pearl don't care about the other stuff, that's for fans and alumni.  Coaches like Pearl only care about money.

Their football coach, Kirk Ferentz, is a god in Iowa City.  He makes $21 million over 7 years.  Are they ready to make him the second highest paid coach and risk pissing him off?  I say no.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:03 PM »
Chico, based on what you know, would the BE make more money with their own network channel?  

And, these informericals are big for fat middle aged alumni (like me) but do you think this stuff sways any 18 year FB or BB recruit?  I'd be shocked if you say yes.

... to be fair I could see if mattering for a soccer player or a track runner.  The BTN has so much time to fill they can, or their parents and friends, DVR many of their games.

I'd have to run the numbers and that would take a week or two.  The BTN was pretty ballsy and no one was really sure if it would make it, but it did....thus far.   The problem with a Big East channel is that I don't think they would get national distribution and or placement at a high penetration tier.  That means less eyeballs, less cut from the DIRECTV, DISH, Time Warner cables of the world, and less advertising dollars.

With all the startup costs and the need to broadcast a 16 team conference, it would be a lot riskier than the BTN launch.  In my opinion.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2010, 07:09:33 AM »
when T Boone Pickens calls you listen....  he pays top dollar...   :)

You listen even if he's not offering you a job, too.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
I heard from a little bird..........  Rick Majerus is interested.   That would be a "Home Run" from Iowa.....   ;)
"I better walk before they make me run"

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2010, 02:41:54 PM »
You listen even if he's not offering you a job, too.

Don't kid yourself....  OSU did in fact inquire about Self...    And Bill parlayed it into a "new" contract at Kansas...........   

It is a simple fact of life...   you either pony up the cheez or you lose your assets...
"I better walk before they make me run"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
I heard from a little bird..........  Rick Majerus is interested.   That would be a "Home Run" from Iowa.....   ;)

They don't need an old X's and O's brillant coach.  They need a Crean with some energy to come in and get lucky with some recruits and get their program back. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »

Not without Football. Football is huge and the BE is the weakest power conf on the gridiron.