[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 377730 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1125 on: January 09, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
You're correct, but unfortunately, I think the "oddities" are widespread.

What I'm seeing (from a good personal source), is that states are realizing their distribution plan was insufficient, they aren't getting the quantities out that they need, instead they've been sitting in storage, so they're offering up quantities to more localized healthcare practices now to ramp up "shots in arms".  This initial drop to the  localized places is intended for healthcare workers, but with the footnote of "If you can succeed in getting these used, you'll get more to distribute next week".

Considering that the  surgeon general's recent comments about vaccine phases "If the demand isn’t there in 1a, go to 1b and continue on down. If the demand isn’t there in one location, move those vaccines to another location.”"
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/world/the-us-surgeon-general-warns-not-to-let-priority-guidelines-slow-down-vaccinations.html

They're still a priority list, but states are quickly willing to abandon that to get the vaccine out (as they should...I think).

I waited a bit to respond to this to reflect on it a bit. The bolded I think is correct, based on where we are now. The problem is, we shouldn't be at this point now. People dropped the ball. I'll explain why. First, the timeline to get this vaccine out was always 12-18 months, so it was expected to likely be available now, unless things went woefully wrong. This wasn't unexpected.

That means they had months, and months to make a concerted nationwide plan. That plan could/should include nationwide priority groups. We should have been: 1) Funding a plan, and 2) Developing a detailed plan for the past 9-10 months. We really didn't. States weren't given sufficient funds, DC punted on executing a top down plan, instead let states develop their own. That means we have 50 different policies on priorities, and 50 different plans on delivery. Really the worst way to set up one of the largest vaccination efforts undertaken.

What they should have done starting back in February/March.

0a) Dedicate massive funding to state and local levels for all of the below. Plan at the federal level.

0b) Enact the defense production act to produce more vaccines faster.

1) Develop a concerted nationwide top down plan, that includes priority lists.

2) Develop a national registry for signing up for each priority group. This could have been done months ago.

3) States/counties would then have the priority list of all people desiring the vaccine already ready, and could work down the list when vaccines were available.

4) States in consultation with the US government, should have established dedicated vaccination sites in all counties (think polling places/precincts), and planned staffing. They would know how many vaccines need to go to each precinct already based on the national registry, and could use that to deliver vaccines.

5) When vaccines are shipped, the registration lists should be consulted, and people notified to set up an appointment in the next 72-hours. If they do not show, move down the list. Give people the opportunity to keep near the top of the list if they contact in the 72-hour window and indicate a time conflict.

6) Execute. Use national guard if necessary to streamline process. If we can get 160M to vote over a couple week period, we can deliver vaccines in the same manner.

Instead, we didn't do any of this. Priority groups were decided days/weeks before vaccination. States were told they were on their own to plan how to execute this, and were not given adequate funding. On top of that, even after they had plans, the Govt' unexplainably changed the plan on how many vaccines were shipped. it became a cluster F.

So now, yes, abandon the priorities if needed to just get shots in arms. That is better than a failed rollout.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:38:57 PM by forgetful »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: January 09, 2021, 03:24:34 PM »
My wife got an email from her school district this week that they expect to begin vaccinating the teachers the 3rd or 4th week of January.

Yesterday it was announced that the state has completed the first shot at every nursing home in the state.  The first state to do so. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1127 on: January 09, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »
I waited a bit to respond to this to reflect on it a bit. The bolded I think is correct, based on where we are now. The problem is, we shouldn't be at this point now. People dropped the ball. I'll explain why. First, the timeline to get this vaccine out was always 12-18 months, so it was expected to likely be available now, unless things went woefully wrong. This wasn't unexpected.

That means they had months, and months to make a concerted nationwide plan. That plan could/should include nationwide priority groups. We should have been: 1) Funding a plan, and 2) Developing a detailed plan for the past 9-10 months. We really didn't. States weren't given sufficient funds, DC punted on executing a top down plan, instead let states develop their own. That means we have 50 different policies on priorities, and 50 different plans on delivery. Really the worst way to set up one of the largest vaccination efforts undertaken.

What they should have done starting back in February/March.

0a) Dedicate massive funding to state and local levels for all of the below. Plan at the federal level.

0b) Enact the defense production act to produce more vaccines faster.

1) Develop a concerted nationwide top down plan, that includes priority lists.

2) Develop a national registry for signing up for each priority group. This could have been done months ago.

3) States/counties would then have the priority list of all people desiring the vaccine already ready, and could work down the list when vaccines were available.

4) States in consultation with the US government, should have established dedicated vaccination sites in all counties (think polling places/precincts), and planned staffing. They would know how many vaccines need to go to each precinct already based on the national registry, and could use that to deliver vaccines.

5) When vaccines are shipped, the registration lists should be consulted, and people notified to set up an appointment in the next 72-hours. If they do not show, move down the list. Give people the opportunity to keep near the top of the list if they contact in the 72-hour window and indicate a time conflict.

6) Execute. Use national guard if necessary to streamline process. If we can get 160M to vote over a couple week period, we can deliver vaccines in the same manner.

Instead, we didn't do any of this. Priority groups were decided days/weeks before vaccination. States were told they were on their own to plan how to execute this, and were not given adequate funding. On top of that, even after they had plans, the Govt' unexplainably changed the plan on how many vaccines were shipped. it became a cluster F.

So now, yes, abandon the priorities if needed to just get shots in arms. That is better than a failed rollout.

Wow, you're a real dreamer, Forgetful.  ;)

Of course every recommendation you gave is spot on. Sadly, we ALL knew there was a 0% chance of this being done by the trump/pence team. I have always been tough on trump  and even accused him of being a mass killer. But let's not let pence off the hook. Unlike trump, pence is smart enough to know what to do and what is right. He was utterly unwilling to put his christian beliefs into action because his sole purpose was to glorify trump.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: January 09, 2021, 04:06:23 PM »

Wore a sleeveless top, and kept the band-aid on?

Occum, is that you?
Yes, obviously that is what she did.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: January 09, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »
Gonna bee a bitch rippin' dat band-aide off if she's got harey arms, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1130 on: January 09, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »

Dang, I got to this one and though we were gonna shoot people that refused a vaccine  ;D

But seriously, I generally agree.  I'm disappointed there wasn't a better "national" plan, I also hold states accountable if they didn't come up with a good plan on their own (and many didn't).

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1131 on: January 09, 2021, 10:58:00 PM »
This appears  to be the plan in New York. Cuomo overthinking.

https://youtu.be/qhxlZC8BZJ4

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: January 10, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »
Received my booster yesterday at 9AM. So far, so good - no side effects. I have been taking 500mg naproxen every 12 hours as a precaution.

Edit: My Oura ring is telling me my body temp is elevated by 1.5 degrees today. Interesting
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:15:49 AM by jesmu84 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: January 10, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »
But seriously, I generally agree.  I'm disappointed there wasn't a better "national" plan, I also hold states accountable if they didn't come up with a good plan on their own (and many didn't).
I would love to know what was in the 69 page pandemic plan that the Obama administration left behind that was promptly crapcanned. Betcha a Roast Beef Deluxe that vaccine distribution was covered.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: January 10, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
Received my booster yesterday at 9AM. So far, so good - no side effects. I have been taking 500mg naproxen every 12 hours as a precaution.

Edit: My Oura ring is telling me my body temp is elevated by 1.5 degrees today. Interesting
Maybe you are ovulating.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: January 10, 2021, 02:35:25 PM »

Getting much worse as day goes on. Fever, chills, body aches, headache.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1136 on: January 10, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »

Hope it doesn't last too long. Be well, jesmu....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: January 10, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
Hang in there, brother.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1138 on: January 10, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »

Hope you feel better soon. Keep us informed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: January 11, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »
Here's the little capsule I received in my news feed this morning:

U.S. states struggle to roll out coronavirus vaccines. New York abruptly loosened its guidelines, after medical providers were forced to discard doses because of difficulties finding qualified patients. Florida’s distribution plans are in disarray as demand far outstrips supply. And federal officials are being criticized for supplying syringes that can’t efficiently extract all the liquid from vials.

Ugh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: January 11, 2021, 08:25:23 AM »
96 year old dad got the shot Thursday. No complaints. Said he felt fine the day after. But tough as nails, so unless he was really hurting, that is what he would say.
Got it through the VA, not the cluster that is Florida Dept of Health.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: January 11, 2021, 08:26:33 AM »
Update: feeling normal-ish today.

I highly recommend taking nsaids for the first 24-48 hours after the booster to reduce symptoms.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1142 on: January 11, 2021, 08:37:25 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1348489177491501063

What in God’s name are we doing here?!?!?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: January 11, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »
Update: feeling normal-ish today.

I highly recommend taking nsaids for the first 24-48 hours after the booster to reduce symptoms.
It is good to hear that the symptoms were relatively brief.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: January 11, 2021, 08:40:16 AM »

Honestly there should just be a daily line for EOD extra vaccines. If the hospital is going to discard them with an hour left in the day give it to whoever showed up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: January 11, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
Honestly there should just be a daily line for EOD extra vaccines. If the hospital is going to discard them with an hour left in the day give it to whoever showed up.

Yea, if I could get on a list that said I can be at X hospital within 2 hours for a vaccine, I’d be all over it. I understand prioritizing is important. However, to do that at the expense of vaccines is not good.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »

Agree 100%.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
Was just told that no more vaccines are available to firefighters in my area until at least February 1.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1148 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »

That is a terrific idea.

Follow the priority list in making appointments, to get as much vaccine as possible into the arms of priority patients. But have a "backup" line system in place. Maybe a line that forms at the end of the day (ideally in a parking lot, so people stay in their cars while waiting); maybe an opt-in text message system where people can be notified of extra doses; maybe something else. Just get the 'about to discard' doses into arms.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: January 11, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »

Most of us have been asking that since last March. Welcome.

feedback