'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread  (Read 41067 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2023, 10:43:01 AM »
Henry getting steady playing time in Spain
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Henry-Ellenson/334250

Jamil Found a team in Lithuania this year

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Jamil-Wilson/189158

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »
Highlight reel.  Good stuff:

https://twitter.com/ACBCOM/status/1602028569945075712

Dude is unreal. Never ceases to amaze me.

Pound for pound one of the best shooters to ever lace em up.

As Marquette fans having him and Steve Novak come through the program in the last 20 years is special.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2023, 11:17:14 AM »
If it weren't for the COVID shutdown, assuming normal production in The BEast tournament game and the NCAA tourney game, top 20 scorer in NCAA history.   

We won't see his like again.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2023, 11:29:34 AM »
If it weren't for the COVID shutdown, assuming normal production in The BEast tournament game and the NCAA tourney game, top 20 scorer in NCAA history.   

We won't see his like again.

And still, on a pure PPG basis, he’s top 5 all time for major conference players. And who is he behind? Pistol Pete, Big O, Elvin Hayes, and Otis Birdsong, while basically tied with Allan Houston.  Just remarkable considering his competition all 4 years

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2023, 10:26:25 PM »
Markus with the game-winning shot from the literal corner:

https://twitter.com/Baskonia/status/1612179606383071237
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2023, 10:51:41 PM »

Helluva shot. Not quite a game winner but a dagger
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2023, 10:53:43 PM »
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2023, 07:53:16 AM »

Perfect environment for Markus. Smile on his face is good to see.
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2023, 08:55:43 AM »
Gray contrasting color courts are awesome. Would love to see that in the Fiserv.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2023, 09:03:59 AM »
Perfect environment for Markus. Smile on his face is good to see.

He can make a lot of money and have a lot of fun.

What does happen fairly often for U.S. men and women playing basketball overseas is that eventually some just feel too homesick and isolated. But not all, obviously. Some love it and even make a home for themselves there.

I wish our all-time scoring leader, first-team All-American and great ambassador nothing but success.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2023, 09:11:43 AM »
Yep, hope he continues to have tons of success and becomes a folk hero of sorts in the highest level of Euroball, which he’s already on his way to.

Selfishly, I really wish Olympiakos in Greece would sign him.

Something tells me that he’s got a Jeremy Lin type moment, or Steve Novak etc, in the NBA in his future, and hopefully he can stick for several years.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2023, 09:15:23 AM »
Gray contrasting color courts are awesome. Would love to see that in the Fiserv.

Please, no

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2023, 09:18:23 AM »
Yep, hope he continues to have tons of success and becomes a folk hero of sorts in the highest level of Euroball, which he’s already on his way to.

Selfishly, I really wish Olympiakos in Greece would sign him.

Something tells me that he’s got a Jeremy Lin type moment, or Steve Novak etc, in the NBA in his future, and hopefully he can stick for several years.

100% Doctor V on his NBA moment coming.  There are only a handful of people on the planet that can shoot like Markus.  He would be a perfect microwave off an NBA bench.  I don’t care how short he is.  The NBA GM who takes his head out of his ass first is going to be very happy they did.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2023, 09:34:48 AM »
100% Doctor V on his NBA moment coming.  There are only a handful of people on the planet that can shoot like Markus.  He would be a perfect microwave off an NBA bench.  I don’t care how short he is. The NBA GM who takes his head out of his ass first is going to be very happy they did.

But it matters how short he is. Just did a quick look at the all NBA roster, and there are two guys in the entire league right now under six feet. Howard played 60+ games in the league so it's not as though he is a complete unknown. He will get his chance in the future, but it is completely understandable why NBA GMs are skeptical.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
He can make a lot of money and have a lot of fun.

What does happen fairly often for U.S. men and women playing basketball overseas is that eventually some just feel too homesick and isolated. But not all, obviously. Some love it and even make a home for themselves there.

Lot easier to overcome that when you're in Markus' position making a nice 6 figures, living/playing in a mid sized Western European city in an NBA sized arena, etc...  Same for someone like Fischer.  I think the scenarios you mention happen with guys in the second and third tier leagues who are playing in more off the beaten path areas for much lower salaries and amenities.  Big difference between playing in a French/Spanish/Greek city in front of 10K fans than playing in Lithuania/Georgia/Macedonia for a team in a town of 30K people on a court with volleyball/handball lines on it for $4-5K a month.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2023, 09:59:08 AM »
Vander now playing in Qatar. I think he is on the same team that Dominic James was on for a few years.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Vander_Blue/197724

Seems like Vander has a good program going now. Plays the Mexican Season which starts in the late summer and then when it is finished in October, Vander picks up a second team somewhere in the world.
            ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2023, 10:13:45 AM »

But it matters how short he is. Just did a quick look at the all NBA roster, and there are two guys in the entire league right now under six feet. Howard played 60+ games in the league so it's not as though he is a complete unknown. He will get his chance in the future, but it is completely understandable why NBA GMs are skeptical.

Sultan I understand that argument well.  And in 99.9% of cases I agree.  But Howard is special (exceptional really) and falls within the 0.1% IMO.  I think a GM that takes a chance and the coach that lets him get some minutes with a second unit will be very happy in short order.  I hope that theory is tested.  I don’t think he got the shot in Denver that I am talking about.  The kid needs a little bit more leash and PT and he will thrive.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »
Dude is unreal. Never ceases to amaze me.

Pound for pound one of the best shooters to ever lace em up.

As Marquette fans having him and Steve Novak come through the program in the last 20 years is special.
It would be interesting to see how he would fit in on a Shaka coached team that stresses defensive accountability and playing for each other.

I know I'm in the minority here...but I didn't care for his style of play.  Maybe that was Wojo and/or the talent we had...but he's not even in the same discussion as a Travis Diener IMHO. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2023, 10:23:59 AM »
Sultan I understand that argument well.  And in 99.9% of cases I agree.  But Howard is special (exceptional really) and falls within the 0.1% IMO.  I think a GM that takes a chance and the coach that lets him get some minutes with a second unit will be very happy in short order.  I hope that theory is tested.  I don’t think he got the shot in Denver that I am talking about.  The kid needs a little bit more leash and PT and he will thrive.

Don't see it...he's not a 3 and D guy...he's not capable of finishing at the rim...as a result isn't going to create for others.  The Euro clips show him playing off the ball...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2023, 10:33:24 AM »
Don't see it...he's not a 3 and D guy...he's not capable of finishing at the rim...as a result isn't going to create for others.  The Euro clips show him playing off the ball...

I wouldn't say Markus isn't capable of finishing at the rim. He was very capable in college. I didn't watch him enough in the pros but he shot 53.7% from 2 in his first year (35.5 in his second year).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2023, 10:36:39 AM »
Vander now playing in Qatar. I think he is on the same team that Dominic James was on for a few years.

Hope he’s not rockin any gear w a rainbow on it hey
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2023, 10:41:23 AM »

Markus got plenty of leash and PT in Denver, and I actually think Malone quite liked him.  The problem was they had plenty of guard depth, young guard depth, and there just wasn't PT for trying to take a flier on an undersized 2G developing.  It just wasn't a good roster situation for him.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2023, 10:42:59 AM »
I wouldn't say Markus isn't capable of finishing at the rim. He was very capable in college. I didn't watch him enough in the pros but he shot 53.7% from 2 in his first year (35.5 in his second year).
Well if he can finish at the rim, and we all agree he's a lights out shooter, this NBA thing should be easy. 

The easy out for me on this argument...the NBA is pretty good at finding and developing talent.  He didn't stick for a reason...if Denver wasn't a great fit...we really believe no other teams realized this and scooped him up?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:44:33 AM by avid1010 »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2023, 10:45:38 AM »
I feel like there is a team in Milwaukee that can use him as an off the bench spark this season.
A team that’s been putrid beyond the arc and loves to shoot a ton of 3s.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »
I feel like there is a team in Milwaukee that can use him as an off the bench spark this season.
A team that’s been putrid beyond the arc and loves to shoot a ton of 3s.

This describes many NBA teams.  There is one an hour and a half south of Milwaukee who could use him as well.  NBA GMs are overthinking this or overlooking this. 

feedback