[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 92262 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
Dawson was given exactly one game of equal minutes to what Derrick averaged all season.  He scored 12 points in that game.  7 in Overtime.  Dawson has tripled Derrick's career 3 point FG's made in just spotty action as a freshman. Dawson shoots 81% from the line.  Dawson has to be defended everywhere on the court...defenses don't sag off of him 6 feet.

Buzz had a hardcore Derrick Crush last year, and obviously knew he was on his way out and didn't care about developing the freshman.

Will be interesting to see if MU posts better than a 17-15 record next year, 9-9 in Big East and if Derrick plays less than 10 minutes.  Would be really bizarre for the team to improve if he wasn't major problem...as we lost our top 2 scorers off the team - Jamil and Gardner - along with our starting 2 guard who Buzz CHOSE to play max minutes as well.

No way should the team be better next season...but...I have a strong feeling Derrick will NOT be getting 31 minutes a game next year...and in turn...the team likely will be better...even though it lost its two best players to graduation.

Uh. No. That's a poor logical construction.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
Uh. No. That's a poor logical construction.

LOL - Please enlighten me how a team that loses 4 seniors, 2 of which were its leading scorers, along with its max minutes starting 2 guard, should have a better record this upcoming season?

The problem for those of you who continue to take up for Derrick, is that it is simply ludicrous and indefensible to suggest he improved a lot last year, and wasn't the MAIN reason why the team regressed from an Elite 8 team to missing the NIT.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
LOL - Please enlighten me how a team that loses 4 seniors, 2 of which were its leading scorers, along with its max minutes starting 2 guard, should have a better record this upcoming season?

The problem for those of you who continue to take up for Derrick, is that it is simply ludicrous and indefensible to suggest he improved a lot last year, and wasn't the MAIN reason why the team regressed from an Elite 8 team to missing the NIT.

1. Your construction is only tying in Derrick to the team's success. There are many more variables that go into the success/failure of the team besides Derrick's minutes. So, as I said, it's a poor logical construct.

2. I think you keep lumping people into two groups - pro-Derrick and anti-Derrick. Nowhere did I ever state that Derrick improved a lot last year, in fact I don't think I've even gotten into the Derrick-improvement debate. I will say that I do think Derrick improved as the year progressed, but I don't think he improved "a lot." I think Derrick was a problem, albeit a large portion, that led to a non-tourney team this year. But he was also far from being the ONLY problem.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
Dawson was given exactly one game of equal minutes to what Derrick averaged all season.  He scored 12 points in that game.  7 in Overtime.  Dawson has tripled Derrick's career 3 point FG's made in just spotty action as a freshman. Dawson shoots 81% from the line.  Dawson has to be defended everywhere on the court...defenses don't sag off of him 6 feet.

Buzz had a hardcore Derrick Crush last year, and obviously knew he was on his way out and didn't care about developing the freshman.

Will be interesting to see if MU posts better than a 17-15 record next year, 9-9 in Big East and if Derrick plays less than 10 minutes.  Would be really bizarre for the team to improve if he wasn't major problem...as we lost our top 2 scorers off the team - Jamil and Gardner - along with our starting 2 guard who Buzz CHOSE to play max minutes as well.

No way should the team be better next season...but...I have a strong feeling Derrick will NOT be getting 31 minutes a game next year...and in turn...the team likely will be better...even though it lost its two best players to graduation.

Back to thinking players don't develop other than playing in games. Hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:05 AM »

here is another way to look at this, Ners: the way that the team got better, even with those significant losses, was this: The team got rid of the stubborn, phony, downhome lonesome cowboy coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
Who's #12?
"Daddy, why isn't anybody guarding #12?" said the young girl to her Dad at an MU game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2014, 07:57:47 AM »
#12 in your program but #1 in the hearts of Scoopers...Mr. Derrick Wilson
Especially #1 in Sultan and Eagles hearts, minds and souls. Both are wishing everyday that Derrick get 30 plus minutes, so this season they can chime in: "na nanny Poo Poo--I told you so! Derrick is the man."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
Especially #1 in Sultan and Eagles hearts, minds and souls. Both are wishing everyday that Derrick get 30 plus minutes, so this season they can chime in: "na nanny Poo Poo--I told you so! Derrick is the man."

Nope! We actually hate that Derrick was our starter. We just recognize that he was the best option in a really bad situation. That's why I'm ecstatic that CoWojo tooks steps to correct this and brought in Matt Carlino.

Long live CoWojo!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:48 AM »
Nope! We actually hate that Derrick was our starter. We just recognize that he was the best option in a really bad situation. That's why I'm ecstatic that CoWojo tooks steps to correct this and brought in Matt Carlino.

Exactly.  No matter how many times you explain that to ole willie, he can't seem to figure it out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »

Long live CoWojo!
This is the most accurate statement. Bash Buzz for not having a better point guard on the team. No reason to bash Derrick as he always gave maximum effort. Same goes for Thomas. The team makeup was 100% Buzz's responsibility. I realize that Derrick and Thomas were the worst back court in the Big East, but they were always ready to give their max. Contrast that to Gardner, who specifically said he was not working as hard in practice as he could and Jamil who never seemed to play a maximum effort game. Some of you thought Mayo and Dawson should be starting, which may or may not have resulted in better results. However, that was not Derrick's and Thomas's fault, except if you thought they should of dogged it in practice so the other players could start. Basically, the least talented players gave maximum effort and the more talented players did not.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
This is the most accurate statement. Bash Buzz for not having a better point guard on the team. No reason to bash Derrick as he always gave maximum effort. Same goes for Thomas. The team makeup was 100% Buzz's responsibility. I realize that Derrick and Thomas were the worst back court in the Big East, but they were always ready to give their max. Contrast that to Gardner, who specifically said he was not working as hard in practice as he could and Jamil who never seemed to play a maximum effort game. Some of you thought Mayo and Dawson should be starting, which may or may not have resulted in better results. However, that was not Derrick's and Thomas's fault, except if you thought they should of dogged it in practice so the other players could start. Basically, the least talented players gave maximum effort and the more talented players did not.

Gardner specifically said he wasn't working as hard as he could in practice? When did he say this? If Mayo and Dawson started, the results would have been much better  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:42 AM »
So simple.   Yet so difficult to comprehend.   Don't blame Derrick and Jake.   They went out and busted their humps, played to the scouting report on defense, and gave their all to/for the team.  And remember that if the starting backcourt had been Duane and Vander, the season would have gone a whole lot different.     But Oxtule was a bad idea.   Not starting an offensive threat of some kind at the '3', be it Todd, Deonte, JJJ early, left the team unbalanced.   Jamil was a passive enigma.   I  never said that Derrick was great.   I have consistently said he was the best option on that team to start at the point.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
So simple.   Yet so difficult to comprehend.   Don't blame Derrick and Jake.   They went out and busted their humps, played to the scouting report on defense, and gave their all to/for the team.  And remember that if the starting backcourt had been Duane and Vander, the season would have gone a whole lot different.     But Oxtule was a bad idea.   Not starting an offensive threat of some kind at the '3', be it Todd, Deonte, JJJ early, left the team unbalanced.   Jamil was a passive enigma.   I  never said that Derrick was great.   I have consistently said he was the best option on that team to start at the point.  

slurper

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
The whole "Derrick debate" was never really a debate about Derrick, but rather conclusions based upon poor logic, people challenging the logic, and people getting accused of being a fanboy or a slurper.

This is another example.

A. MU might be better this season. It is conceivable.

B. Derrick Wilson might play less. It is probable.

A. is not directly caused by B. Too many variables to make that conclusion. Bad logic. Bad conclusion.

Not slurping.

Critical thinking.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
slurper

Hey! You can't use that word! Only we can use that word!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawSjQxqbfE
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »

Exactly.  No matter how many times you explain that to ole willie, he can't seem to figure it out.
Oh, don't worry Sultan, I have you all figured out, including your love for Buzz/Derrick, regardless what you proclaim now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »
The whole "Derrick debate" was never really a debate about Derrick, but rather conclusions based upon poor logic, people challenging the logic, and people getting accused of being a fanboy or a slurper.

This is another example.

A. MU might be better this season. It is conceivable.

B. Derrick Wilson might play less. It is probable.

A. is not directly caused by B. Too many variables to make that conclusion. Bad logic. Bad conclusion.

Not slurping.

Critical thinking.

This was what I was saying. Thanks.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 28, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »
slurper
Very few people blame Derrick directly. They recognize that his skill level is a back up. They blame the bozo who tried to jam the guy down the critics' throats, in spite of ample evidence that it was not working. Some still defend that to the hilt, which makes for interesting conversation here.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:30 PM »

Long live CoWojo!

Here's the problem for you, Tower and Guns.  No, Derrick wasn't the best option in a really bad situation just as:

Juan Anderson had no business playing more/starting over Deonte Burton from Day 1 of the season.

Jake Thomas had no business playing more/starting over Todd Mayo

Chris Otule had no business starting over Davante...and Davante only averaging 25 minutes a game last season...

Just as Derrick Wilson had ZERO reason to be playing 32 minutes a game and more minutes than any other player on the team...and playing more than Dawson.

Buzz was an idiot last season....for all of the above reasons...and they all explain why we went from an Elite 8 team to missing the NIT.  The most egregious coaching decision he made of course was not ever radically modifying the PG playing time allocation other than for 1 game against Georgetown and it worked out pretty well.  You don't draw conclusions on a player based on 3, 2 to 3 minute stints of playing time..and if in that time the kid makes a mistake he hits the bench.  Hell if Derrick were coached that way...he'd have been benched frequently.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 28, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
Here's the problem for you, Tower and Guns.  No, Derrick wasn't the best option in a really bad situation just as:

OK....WE GET IT!!!

My god how many f*cking times are we going to have this stupid debate??  You disagree with them.  You disagree with me.  We disagree with you.

Just stating the same thing over and over and over again doesn't change that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
Oh, don't worry Sultan, I have you all figured out, including your love for Buzz/Derrick, regardless what you proclaim now.

I want you to find one statement...just one...that shows inconsistency between my thoughts on Buzz and Derrick during the season, and my thoughts now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »

Juan Anderson had no business playing more/starting over Deonte Burton from Day 1 of the season.

Jake Thomas had no business playing more/starting over Todd Mayo

Chris Otule had no business starting over Davante...and Davante only averaging 25 minutes a game last season...

Just as Derrick Wilson had ZERO reason to be playing 32 minutes a game and more minutes than any other player on the team...and playing more than Dawson.

Buzz was an idiot last season....for all of the above reasons...and they all explain why we went from an Elite 8 team to missing the NIT.  The most egregious coaching decision he made of course was not ever radically modifying the PG playing time allocation other than for 1 game against Georgetown and it worked out pretty well.  You don't draw conclusions on a player based on 3, 2 to 3 minute stints of playing time..and if in that time the kid makes a mistake he hits the bench.  Hell if Derrick were coached that way...he'd have been benched frequently.

Ahh, this again.  I forgot that college coaches don't make decisions based on what they see in their 10-15 hours of practice time a week, only in the 40 minutes of game time.

You and your decorated basketball career have a great grasp on how decisions like playing time are made.  Hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 28, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
Derrick WAS coached like that as a freshman and a sophomore.   So was Cadougan as a sophomore.  So was every other true freshman that came through while Buzz was the coach with the exception of Blue.   For better or worse, Buzz played his upperclassmen except when he had no other option. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:45:23 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »
Ahh, this again.  I forgot that college coaches don't make decisions based on what they see in their 10-15 hours of practice time a week, only in the 40 minutes of game time.

You and your decorated basketball career have a great grasp on how decisions like playing time are made.  Hilarious.

Yeah smart ass...I do have a good grasp on how playing time decisions are made by good coaches who aren't off their rocker...as Buzz was last year.  Please....go ahead and answer the point I made:

Why did Juan start/play more than Burton?
Jake start/play more than Mayo?
Otule start over Gardner (and give me a break if you say to win the tip as that gets nullified through alternating possession.)  Why didn't Gardner get more than 25 minutes a game?

This just in....Most coaches play their BEST guys the most minutes...NOT their two most limited guys the most minutes...

Why in God's name would Buzz trot out a lineup of Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil and Otule?  You are the opposing coach - who is the one guy you are going to focus on taking away???  Jamil...yet people want to dog Jamil and the season he had....he and Davante were greatly shackled by playing with the worst starting backcourt in the Big East...and one Buzz refused to radically alter with Mayo, JJJ and Dawson all being far more talented riding the bench...for whole games/good chunks of minutes.

Not sure why I even bother responding to someone who clearly has ZERO clue about the game of basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
Not sure why I even bother responding to someone who clearly has ZERO clue about the game of basketball.

Irony.  Wonderful, delicious irony.