'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2010 Center Recruit  (Read 13338 times)

nyg

• All American
2010 Center Recruit
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4043873

We are in his top 3.  A four star center, who would ever think?

muarmy81

• All American
Re: 2010 Center Recruit
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
And isn't James Johnson, the #6 C in that class coming to MU's elite camp this week?  Come on Junior, work those Canadien ties!!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
And isn't James Johnson, the #6 C in that class coming to MU's elite camp this week?  Come on Junior, work those Canadien ties!!

No.  According to his father MU has been eliminated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:48:54 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4043873

We are in his top 3.  A four star center, who would ever think?

Hopefully Buzz can get him.  I think we were in the final lists for several 3 & 4 star centers in the last 5 years and always came up short.  Chas McFarland, Bryce Webster, Gavinski, Maurice Sutton, Ben-Eze, etc.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:52:48 PM »
Hold the phone, Bro. The last couple of years when we've been in the final 3, we've crapped our pants. But then again, Buzz doesn't seem the type to show up in the hood at midnight in a limo.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
Hold the phone, Bro. The last couple of years when we've been in the final 3, we've crapped our pants. But then again, Buzz doesn't seem the type to show up in the hood at midnight in a limo.

Oak Park, IL.... is considered "the hood?"  Either you've never been there or you sh*t on gold-plated toilets if you think Oak Park is the hood.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I'm still relieved we came up short on Webster and Gavinski...and I'd be surprised if Sutton amounts to anything at Nova.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »
Hopefully Buzz can get him.  I think we were in the final lists for several 3 & 4 star centers in the last 5 years and always came up short.  Chas McFarland, Bryce Webster, Gavinski, Maurice Sutton, Ben-Eze, etc.

Ummm....this isn't exactly a murderers row of centers here.  McFarland is decent.  Sutton is unknown.  Webster will be coached by Utah's answer to John Wooden so we'll see about him.  And Gavinski can't even sniff the floor at the mother home of the slow, white center.

Give me a couple more combo forwards instead.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
  Fair enough, that's why I want to see if Buzz has any better luck with these types of players in the recruiting game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »

Ummm....this isn't exactly a murderers row of centers here.  McFarland is decent.  Sutton is unknown.  Webster will be coached by Utah's answer to John Wooden so we'll see about him.  And Gavinski can't even sniff the floor at the mother home of the slow, white center.

Give me a couple more combo forwards instead.

I don't disagree with you, yet they were 3 or 4 star rated players based on the recruiting service.  Believe me, I'll be tickled if we can land big men that highly rated at a consistent rate.  Crean couldn't, we'll see if Buzz can.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 05:33:53 PM »
If you click on "Marquette" in the posted article, you can see all the centers we are going after that recruiting class.  It was interesting that Dwight Powell took us off of his list and kept Harvard on.  If you know that you are not going to the NBA and if  your parents have the money to make up for the lack of scholarship, why not hit an ive league as a best investment for your future.  I can't imagine a four-star center getting pushed too hard in the Ivy League.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
I get the feeling we're leading on him. It would be a big time get, obviously. While we could probably use a guy that can play some PG, it is awfully hard not to take a top 100 big man....and this kid sounds like he could easily jump to the top 50 range.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:10:03 PM »
I don't disagree with you, yet they were 3 or 4 star rated players based on the recruiting service.  Believe me, I'll be tickled if we can land big men that highly rated at a consistent rate.  Crean couldn't, we'll see if Buzz can.

What he wrote.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

Aaric Murray was considering the Warriors last year and I think he was higher rated than all these guys
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »

We weren't exactly in the final list for Gavinski.  His list was Wisconsin....and then everyone else was way behind.  He never really considered going anywhere else once they offered, it was his dream school.

Sutton was more a case of MU backing off than him picking someone else.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »
Michael Cobbins and jayvaughn pinkston are also seriously considering Marquette despite Scouts lack of info.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
Michael Cobbins and jayvaughn pinkston are also seriously considering Marquette despite Scouts lack of info.

True, but neither one of them are centers, and Pinkston as a 6'5 Power Forward can't really play center.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:27 AM »
We also have a mister Maurice Walker from Toronto also considering us!  From what I read on ESPN, it sounds like Desrosiers would be a more polished Roseboro (big guy with range, not too much of an inside presence, though), while Walker would be the big man bangin' down low, at 280 lbs!

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44329&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d44329%26season%3d2010

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 05:55:22 AM »
No.  According to his father MU has been eliminated.
Thanks BMA,
Is he still planning on attending the camp this week?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 06:53:45 AM »
Thanks BMA,
Is he still planning on attending the camp this week?

No.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
True, but neither one of them are centers, and Pinkston as a 6'5 Power Forward can't really play center.

Well neither is desrosiers....cobbins is 6'9", and while pinkston is 6'6' or 5"  i think we all know that guys like MAymon, Pinkston, Hayward and Dejuan Blair canplay and control the paint and boards much more than just determined by absolute heighth. 

Furthermore, every article i have read about carson staes that he is the type of player that does not use his heighth and fades away on everything.  Not saying he cannot or will not be a fantastic player.  but to envision him as a 5 and a power 5 or even a power 4 at that is really to miscast him.  He is a 4 in the mold of a Merritt or a Novak.  While a guy like a Pinkston while only standing 6'6' is your more traditional power in the paint type of player.   

nyg

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
It really depends what Buzz is looking for, Walker is your post up power center who is going to bang inside, whereas Desroisers is going to play the 4 most likely and he would look for mid-range shots and wouldn't be to interested in going inside. I like our chances with both of them, however I think it is going to come down to which one wants to come first, I think it is a first come first serve with these two.

I will say this, if we didn't need a PG bad, I would love to see them both sign as I think there games would work well together on the floor at the same time. However I think we sign one of them and then some version of another PG, no idea who though.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
It really depends what Buzz is looking for, Walker is your post up power center who is going to bang inside, whereas Desroisers is going to play the 4 most likely and he would look for mid-range shots and wouldn't be to interested in going inside. I like our chances with both of them, however I think it is going to come down to which one wants to come first, I think it is a first come first serve with these two.

I will say this, if we didn't need a PG bad, I would love to see them both sign as I think there games would work well together on the floor at the same time. However I think we sign one of them and then some version of another PG, no idea who though.

It sounds like Montrell Clark is a 4 in the mold of CD.  If that's the case I'd prefer to have one banger.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
Desrosiers may not be a true center, but clearly he has the size to play the position. He has a European big man skillset, but one traditional skill he possesses that is rarely mentioned is his shotblocking ability. He averaged over 8 blocks a game as a Soph en route to a #1 ranking and MA state championship. Through much of the season he had been averaging a triple-double.(couldn't find his stats for last year, but his team were runners-up). While he is very thin in the upper body, his legs are extremely powerful. This leads me to believe that his frame will fill out really nicely. Carson should be able to contribute right away and his ceiling is very high. Big time potential.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:19:33 PM by DomJamesToTheBasket »