'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What are you most looking forward to seeing this year?  (Read 6356 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
What are you most looking forward to seeing this year?
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:18 AM »
As much as I'm excited to see the new guys play and Lazar come into his own, I'd have to go with:

One last year of Cubillan floor-slaps :)

How about you guys?  What are you most looking forward to?

tower912

• All American
Re: What are you most looking forward to seeing this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »
Long, athletic wings flying all over the floor, applying ball pressure everywhere, and then having another one just as good sub in for them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
I'm looking forward to a young team playing way over their head a couple times and upsetting some teams with their athletic ability.  (I think they will lay some eggs too...)

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »
I am not looking forward to the first month of the season, when our players are learning the offense and defense.  Lapses in our defense leading to easy buckets, confusion on offense and things moving slower than they should due to players not knowing where to be, moving mechanically... etc....  This is usually how it is with new players.

But, then, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO seeing the improvement over the year and how explosive we'll be (winning or not), once the offense and defense become second nature to our guys and they start flying all over the place, getting steals, etc.  I am looking forward to men coming off the bench without much drop off in talent, unlike the last 6 years or so.  

But I expect a frustrating and slow start... hope I'm wrong, but I expect some early disappointments.  I just remember how we looked at the beginning of last year until the 3 amigo's and Burke and Lazar knew what to do... we looked tentative at first and that was an experienced starting line up.   I hope by the middle of December, we start to come into form and I hope we don't loose confidence early.  As fans we need to be positive and cheer and help the players stay confident this year. Patience will be required.  

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:34:06 AM »
That's why I'm relieved we have a cupcake schedule through Thanksgiving.  Give these guys a chance to come together and learn how to play Buzz's system before they hit Old Spice and badger spice.

We may drop one of those early games, but I think this team will gel rapidly under Lazar's leadership.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:37:47 AM »
I am looking forward to the first Debbie Downer retraction thread that starts...

"I take back every doubt and negative statement I had about XXXX, he is the man!"
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »
1) The cheerleaders & Pom Pom squad girls.  No matter how long it was between home games they always seemed to find me in the second level, up in row K. They always smiled and waved at me at some point during the game.  What great memories they seemed to have.

2) Seeing how many season ticket holders actually show up to watch the Marquette/MSOE exhibition as I check out the view from the new seats.

3) Having actual season ticket holders around me every game instead of empty seats or walk up fans from the other team.

4) My seven yr old daughter is also looking forward to the new season.  She really misses the bus ride over from the annex, the BC chocolate chip cookies and the dipping dots ice cream.  Maybe this year she will actually watch most of the game.

Seriously.  I'm looking forward to watching a very talented young team grow up during the season and challenge once again in the Big East.  Hoping that maybe, Marquette might be considered a yearly NCAA contender with Buzz as the helm.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
Favre retiring again when he has to play in Chicago in December.  Oops, wrong thread.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
I'm interested in seeing how many deep we go in the substitution pattern.  I'm hoping we go 9 or 10 deep. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »
1) The point guard position.  With an inexperienced freshman and no real backup, how that comes about in BE play.

2) Maymon.  Is he a beast or not.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to 1) Maymon dunking on some poor Badger, in the Kohl.  Simply outstanding. 2) Watching the fast break of a team that could go 10 deep, with tons of interchangebale parts.

This team might need a few months to gel, but I have a feeling they're going to be FUN to watch.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
Junior leading a break and tossing a lob to E Wil for a vicious dunk.

That and Lazar averaging 20 and 10
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
In a word... growth

I'm most looking forward to seeing which players grow the greatest amount during the year.  Who is the 2009 Jimmy Butler?  There's going to be plenty of opportunity, so who is going to grab the chance and run with it?

On a somewhat related tangent, I'm at a toss-up between which player I'm most looking forward to seeing this year.  At one point, it was EWill because I thought he was being overlooked and had a really interesting skill-set.  However, I've lately been leaning towards Maymon, just because I love, love, love the fact that so far he's talked a big game and then backed it up.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

sellit07

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
I am looking forward to:

1. Seeing Buycks and see if all of this hype is correct.

2. Hayward turning into a leader as he continues to do what he does best.

3. Watching Maymon and the rest of the new guys from my first season tickets since graduating.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »
A just and rightful return of the Warrior nickname.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
I'm looking forward to 1) Maymon dunking on some poor Badger, in the Kohl.  Simply outstanding. 2) Watching the fast break of a team that could go 10 deep, with tons of interchangebale parts.

This team might need a few months to gel, but I have a feeling they're going to be FUN to watch.

I'm with lurch91, especially on point #1. I just hope May-Day isn't so jacked that he'll try and do too much every time he touches the ball on Dec. 12. It was great seeing Wesley as a junior go into the Kohl and play a key role down the stretch in securing the win. I also think Jeronne will have a great career at MU.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Who is the 2009 Jimmy Butler? 

Really looking forward to watching him play and see if he develops a little more range.  But I loved watching him work in the paint last year. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
The always gorgeous Marquette cheerleaders.

I want to see who mixes best with who, and what combinations we wind up with working the best for the team... very much up in the air as of now, IMO.  

Early on, the key for me is going to be point guard play.  I have great faith in Junior being solid from the jump, but its unclear to me who else will get time at the position ... how much time?  how does the style of play change?  etc.  

Also, watching Lazar eat people up and making America recognize the skills.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »
I'm looking forward to having justification for drinking bloody marys at 10AM on a Saturday and not returning home til 2AM.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:29:30 PM by esotericmindguy »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
The whole thing...I am stoked to see this group of players get better and develop...and I think they just might be better than most think this year.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
1) Maymon --- hopefully he will be every bit as good as advertised.
2) Buycks --- it sounds like he has some serious talent and swagger.
3) Hayward and Cubillan --- senior leadership and clutch shooting on a team that is capable of surprising a lot of people.  

Just in general, though, I am looking forward to both the depth of our team, and I think these guys coming in have a lot of athleticism.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »
I am excited about getting a look at what this team will be three years from now. My expectations/hopes are to see athletic players that have room to get better.

Reports I am hearing from the summer is that we have a ton of talent and potential. Hopefully that carries over into the season.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
New Faces!
A whole new era of Marquette BBall begins this November!
These kids are gonna be fun to watch, I guarantee it!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
Roseborro proving you guys wrong.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »

How about Roseboro dunking on Harangody? ;D

In fact, I expect a lot more dunking in general...not that dunks are a priority since 2 pts are 2 pts, but authoritative finishes do put exclamation points on field goals and can definitely break down the morale of the opposing team and pump up our guys/crowd and silence opponents' crowds.

J-May sounds like he'll be better than Lazar was as a freshman, and that would be awesome.  A lot of props have been given to Buycks as well, from his teammates and his old JUCO coach (he even thinks Buycks will play in the NBA).

I hope Junior is the second coming of Levance Fields, and I hope Otule  can be serviceable.

I'm not really expecting Otule to start, but just imagine if he did...a 6'10 guy being replaced by a 7'2 dude off the bench?! 

There's way too much goin' on for me to look forward for just one thing. I can't wait for college basketball to start!

Shoot, I dno if 2K Sports will make College Hoops 2K10 since they didn't make 2K9, but I think id even settle for EA's college basketball game for this upcoming year!

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »
I think I'm most interested in seeing how Butler handles the transition from new guy to grizzled vet (and to a lesser degree, what this season means for Cubillan).

Erik Williams is the newcomer that intrigues me the most, but I also suspect he may have less impact this season than the majority.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »
Keeping pace with Nova as the only two Big East teams to make the NCAA tournament every year since we joined. 

Though on the flip side, I also will not be surprised to see a young team blow a couple of games that they're supposed to win.  Remember 05-06 and Winthrop, Rutgers, choking away the Nova game...

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
Seeing all the possible lineup combinations is going to be cool - subbing in and out with a deeper bench in general will be interesting to watch.  I think it will be exciting b-ball whether we win or lose. . . but I'm hoping we win a lot :)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
playing more solid defense and more productive offense as the year goes on. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
I look forward to seeing how we really stack against competition.  Are we for real or pretenders?

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »
All the new guards...Johnson-Odom, Buycks, and Cadougan. I think Erik Williams will become a special player. But I'm most interested in seeing the development of Chris Otule.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
My list every year starts like this.

1. Crushing Notre Dame
2. Dismantling Wiscy
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
I am very interested in the new guys and it will be exciting to watch them come together.  This may be the most intriguing class coming into MU.

I am more interested in how they play in February.  There could be some ugly games early.  If they are playing well in February, I will be a bigger Buzz beleiver than I am now.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »
playing more solid defense and more productive offense as the year goes on. 

This is a close second for me.  I have some questions about the Buzz defensive philosophy and want to see how the team does now that it has length and size.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »
My list every year starts like this.

1. Crushing Notre Dame
2. Dismantling Wiscy
That's about the best way you can start the list.  1 and 2 might be interchangeable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »

Fixed.   :-\
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

Fixed.   :-\

He could still show us up.  Maybe he's leaving because UNC offered him a scholarship :p

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »

Just in case I jinx the guy, I will not pick anything else.