[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The use of Wade on a Marquette recruit  (Read 14964 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
The use of Wade on a Marquette recruit
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
Talk about connections and using them...but shouldn't Wade really remain NEUTRAL remove himself or not have direct contact since the kid's also a Marquette target?

IU, Oladipo bonding

The interest between IU and Victor Oladipo began last fall but took a huge step forward this summer.

The 6-5 Oladipo, a prospect from the Class of 2010, has become a prime target for IU coach Tom Crean. He plays for Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha.

“They're involved a lot right now,” Oladipo said. “It started in November or December, and I have just been building a relationship with them. I really like Indiana and love Coach Crean.”

Oladipo has chatted with NBA star Dwyane Wade about Crean and his style of play. (Wade played for Crean at Marquette.) Oladipo was in Wade's group during a Father's Day cookout on the South Lawn at the White House hosted by President Obama.

Obama invited several celebrity fathers and local teens to the event.

“”“I asked (Wade) what he thought of Coach Crean, and he said he was the reason why he is the man he is today.” Oladipo said. “It was good to hear. That right there makes me very interested. Coach Crean is a cool person.”

Oladipo said he has scholarship offers from Maryland, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Auburn, South Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma Sate and Notre Dame.

“(The Indiana staff) said they really like watching me play and that I will fit well into their system,” Oladipo said. “We'll see.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090808/SPORTS11/908080361/1002/rss07
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:24:36 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Marquette84

• All American
Re: The use of Wade on a Marquette recruit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »

“”“I asked (Wade) what he thought of Coach Crean, and he said he was the reason why he is the man he is today.” Oladipo said. “It was good to hear. That right there makes me very interested. Coach Crean is a cool person.”

The NCAA considers Wade an MU booster so he can't get involved with recruiting to his alma mater.

Wade is free to respond to direct questions about Crean--obviously Wade feels differently about Crean than many here do.   

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »
Coach Player relationships can be very strong.  Look at Tony Miller and O'Neill, he loves the guy.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »

The NCAA considers Wade an MU booster so he can't get involved with recruiting to his alma mater.

Wade is free to respond to direct questions about Crean--obviously Wade feels differently about Crean than many here do.  

Well, that darn right sucks. For both reasons. :(

He can't even wear Marquette from top to bottom while talking about Indiana?

Thanks for the info...
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:47:32 PM »
Honestly, I'm quite shocked at Wade's comments.  I read here (often) that Crean was a complete tool and no one liked him, especially the players.

::)

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
Honestly, I'm quite shocked at Wade's comments.  I read here (often) that Crean was a complete tool and no one liked him, especially the players.

::)

C'mon Chico. You know that should have been in teal...even with the ::).

Why would Crean choose someone like to smear him? He knows Wade wouldn't and - apparently, Wade can't vouch for MU as a "booster" - so it works to his advantage.

For every person with praise there's someone with stinging criticism.

Here's a question someone might know: Did Crean have the pull to ask Mateen Cleaves, the Flint fam, or other MSU dudes to recruit for him at MU?
SS Marquette

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »
Devin Harris has talked to Vander Blue about going to Wisconsin...

"He also assists his alma mater whenever he can — for example, he has spoken to Madison Memorial standout Vander Blue about playing for the Badgers."

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/458868

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »
Using Wade can backfire as each individual recruit is different.

In the case of Nick Williams-----he was coming to MU because Crean developed Wade-----then he follows Crean to IU only to leave after one year------obviously because his expectation of playing under TC were too high as he apparently saw some negatives of playing under TC.

The the case of Schmpert. TC has Wade fly up from Miami specifically to impress Schumpert, but it didn't work because Schmpert apparently saw through the charade as overkill. Just because D Wade came to MU as a very unusual talent and developed ultimately into a super star doesn't mean that TC is able to do that with every talented recruit-----in fact no one else that had played for TC ever approached Wade's level of play in the NBA------and that includes DJ, JM, and W Mathews who didn't even get drafted!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »
-----in fact no one else that had played for TC ever approached Wade's level of play in the NBA------and that includes DJ, JM, and W Mathews who didn't even get drafted!

They didn't get drafted only because Crean didn't get to coach them their senior year.  If TC was still here, they would have all been first round picks, potentially lottery selections.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
I'm not unhappy about Wade's comments about Crean .. But if he realized MU was also recruiting him, it's disappointing he would display a loyalty to Crean above Marquette.

(Like I'm a Brewers fan, but if they are playing the Twins, I'm a Twins fan.)

(Off topic .. where is Nick Williams headed now?)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
(Off topic .. where is Nick Williams headed now?)

Mississippi.  Obviously has to sit out a year, then has three years left.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
  They didn't get drafted only because Crean didn't get to coach them their senior year.  If TC was still here, they would have all been first round picks, potentially lottery selections.

I don't agree that TC would have made a difference on DJ, JM, and WM getting drafted. First of all WM was a better player under Buzz ------secondly, DJ got worse under TC, not better-------and JM had his best numbers ever under Buzz.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »
Devin Harris has talked to Vander Blue about going to Wisconsin...

"He also assists his alma mater whenever he can — for example, he has spoken to Madison Memorial standout Vander Blue about playing for the Badgers."

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/458868

It's not called "UW Probation" for nothing.

This is from their own site:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/compliance/boosters/recruitment.aspx

Only University of Wisconsin athletic department staff may be involved in the recruitment process. Representatives of athletics interests may not make any recruiting contacts. This includes letters, telephone calls, or face-to-face contact on or off campus with a prospect or a prospect’s parents. If a prospect initiates contact with you, you must refer any questions about our athletic program to an athletic department staff member/coach.

You may view a prospect’s contest at your own initiative provided you do not contact the prospect, parents, coach, or any other person associated with the prospect in an attempt to recruit the prospect. However, you may continue established relationships with family and friends, as long as contacts are not made for recruiting purposes or at the direction of UW coaches.

The NCAA considers a prospect to be any student in grades 9-12 regardless of whether the UW is recruiting the prospect or if the prospect even participates in athletics."

If Harris he has "assisted his alma-mater" by speaking with Blue about playing for the Badgers, this is a pretty clear violation.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
The obvious response is... "What if Blue/Oladipo contacted Harris/Wade...then its OK right?"

Then the question is, how did Blue/Oladipo get Harris'/Wade's phone number?

mu23456

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
I'm not unhappy about Wade's comments about Crean .. But if he realized MU was also recruiting him, it's disappointing he would display a loyalty to Crean above Marquette.

He went up to Wade and asked a question about Crean.  Wade gave an honest response to the kid, and there is nothing wrong with that even if he did know MU was recruiting him (which I doubt).  Wade wasn't showing loyalty to Crean above MU, he was simply answering a question.  If the kid asked about MU, I'm sure Wade would have had a lot of positives to say as well. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
C'mon Chico. You know that should have been in teal...even with the ::).

Why would Crean choose someone like to smear him? He knows Wade wouldn't and - apparently, Wade can't vouch for MU as a "booster" - so it works to his advantage.

For every person with praise there's someone with stinging criticism.

Here's a question someone might know: Did Crean have the pull to ask Mateen Cleaves, the Flint fam, or other MSU dudes to recruit for him at MU?

No, don't think it should have been in teal.  Some people here point blank said that the players hated Crean.  Apparently, despite these people in the know, they weren't always correct.  More importantly, the players at the very top of the food chain from MU continue to help Crean even though he's not here any longer.  That says a lot.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »

It's not called "UW Probation" for nothing.

This is from their own site:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/compliance/boosters/recruitment.aspx

If Harris he has "assisted his alma-mater" by speaking with Blue about playing for the Badgers, this is a pretty clear violation.

Did Devin Harris graduate? If he hasn't and still is enrolled and taking classes he can still talk to recruits... Same with Wade and MU

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »
The Marquette references in Wade's commercials over the past few years keep MU front-and-center in the mind of many a recruit.  The NCAA won't let Wade close the deal for Marquette with a recruit, but he is a huge part of the marketing for the team so that recruits in most of the country don't ask "Mar-what?" when Buzz and staff call.  Along with Big East exposure, Wade is the biggest reason we are signing 4-stars - let's not worry too much about Wade saying nice things about TC when asked a direct question.

That's not to take any credit from the great job Buzz and staff are doing, but you have to have a great product to sell, and as long as recruits are watching DWade and Big East games on TV, we have a shot at them.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »

Crean landed Brandon Bell, Charlie Bell's brother.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
Wade is obviously going to show a tremendous amount of loyalty to Crean.  Crean took a chance on him when very few coaches would, knowing that he would have to sit out a year due to academic reasons. 

Regarding recruiting, everyone knows that major college basketball recruiting is a giant cesspool.  Coaches will use anything to get an advantage. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
No, don't think it should have been in teal.  Some people here point blank said that the players hated Crean.  Apparently, despite these people in the know, they weren't always correct.  More importantly, the players at the very top of the food chain from MU continue to help Crean even though he's not here any longer.  That says a lot.

I agree with you, but let's be honest, some people just hate the guy and there isn't anything anybody can say to dissuade them.

You can say that Travis, Steve, Brian Barone, Wade, Todd Townson, Fr. Wild, Al McGuire, Jesus, etc. etc. have all had good things to say about TC, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Some people have their established beliefs and opinions, and that's it. They will look for things that support their beliefs, and rationalize those things that don't.

The same can be said about people who think TC walks on water (although I don't think there are many people like that left).

The truth (as always) probably lies in the middle.

As far as Wade goes, let's just boil it down to what it is:
 - Wade owes a lot to TC and has a lot of loyalty to his old coach
 - TC owes a lot to Wade and has a lot of loyalty to his old player.

It's always going to be that way.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »

?!?! You can't be serious.  I was one of the few Tom Crean fans among my alumni friends.  While TC brought the swagger back to Marquette's program, Jerel, Wes and James improved alot in their final year since they didn't have to run those boring offensive sets that weren't effective against the zone defense.  While Buzz had the luxury of having seniors he could give the reigns to, I don't know how you can feel that these guys would have been 1st round picks if Crean was their coach last year. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
It's in TEAL, dude, TEAL!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »
It's in TEAL, dude, TEAL!!

And in case you don't understand that, here's a more direct explanation.

Teal == Sarcasm

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
I agree with you, but let's be honest, some people just hate the guy and there isn't anything anybody can say to dissuade them.

You can say that Travis, Steve, Brian Barone, Wade, Todd Townson, Fr. Wild, Al McGuire, Jesus, etc. etc. have all had good things to say about TC, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Some people have their established beliefs and opinions, and that's it. They will look for things that support their beliefs, and rationalize those things that don't.

The same can be said about people who think TC walks on water (although I don't think there are many people like that left).

The truth (as always) probably lies in the middle.

As far as Wade goes, let's just boil it down to what it is:
 - Wade owes a lot to TC and has a lot of loyalty to his old coach
 - TC owes a lot to Wade and has a lot of loyalty to his old player.

It's always going to be that way.

Let me first state that I'm sure you're really a nice guy and your efforts as a "peacemaker" on this issue are sincere. But when you write "The truth (always) probably lies in the middle" it makes me smile. (always) probably? Is the the definite maybe that I've heard so much about?

I further dismiss your suggestion that Chicos (or you and others by extension) occupy the middle ground in this discussion. You both acknowledge his imperfections but hold him in very high esteem. I acknowledge his accomplishments but am alarmed by his failures as a human being. You think you've arrived at a fair and reasoned conclusion based on the information available. So do I and many who would agree with me. So who's in the middle?