'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU recruiting gone stale?  (Read 9183 times)

Blackhat

• All American
MU recruiting gone stale?
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »
I thought Buzz would be able to get a commit from that truly elite recruit every couple years or at least maintain us with some elite southern talent but it seems we aren't getting as much play.   This last spot for '10 is crucial and we need a stud big in the worst way.   While Syracuse,etc. stock up on great bigs Buzz needs to keep pace if we are going to take the next step. 

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: MU recruiting gone stale?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »
Relax, Buzz is in on some good players. Just let things play out.

I think the 3rd scholarship needs to go to someone with guard skills, a combo guard.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:50:22 PM »
I thought Buzz would be able to get a commit from that truly elite recruit every couple years or at least maintain us with some elite southern talent but it seems we aren't getting as much play.   This last spot for '10 is crucial and we need a stud big in the worst way.   While Syracuse,etc. stock up on great bigs Buzz needs to keep pace if we are going to take the next step. 

Syracuse is stocking up on bigs while not having a single PG on the roster this year or one committed for next year, and I believe they are out of scholarships for 2010.  They've got their own problems.

We're still in play and getting mentioned for official visits with guys like Jelan Kendrick, James Johnson, Carson Derosiers and a lot of other top talent.  With the second elite camp coming, it wouldn't be a shock to see a commitment soon.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
A lot of recruits are just starting their official visits.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:19:52 PM »
I thought Buzz would be able to get a commit from that truly elite recruit every couple years or at least maintain us with some elite southern talent

?-(
How did you get that impression?  He hasn't done it yet, so what makes you think he will be able to do it every couple years?  That's no knock on him - he's done a great job recruiting so far in his year and a half on the job.  In fact, when was the last time anyone at Marquette brought in a truly elite recruit every couple years?  You're expecting something that hasn't happened in a very long time to all of a sudden start happening regularly in Buzz's second year on the job.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:49 PM »
I thought he'd be in on a lot of the top 10 Texas talent/big boys and the whole reason to hire Buzz was an expectation that he was an elite recruiter.

Going into the future with Mbao and Otule at C just seems like a lot of the status quo imo.   

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
Typical delusional thinking from some.

MU isn't a destination...come from TX to WI is not what alot of kids think. Takes some time.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »
I thought he'd be in on a lot of the top 10 Texas talent/big boys and the whole reason to hire Buzz was an expectation that he was an elite recruiter.

Going into the future with Mbao and Otule at C just seems like a lot of the status quo imo.   

You may not have noticed, but 2010 isn't exactly a great year for Texas recruiting especially when you look at what is available and what MU needs.

The top guy, Perry Jones committed to Baylor back in 2007.  We went after Daniel Alexander but he didn't want to leave the state despite some of those around him trying to push him to MU.  Cameron Clark and Julian Washburn are 6'6 small forwards that can't play the 4 and can't play the 2.  MU already has 5 guys that overlap that position for at least a portion of a 2010 kids career.  Phil Pressey eliminated MU awhile ago because he doesn't want to go to a school where he can't start right away.

That leaves only Rickey Scott and Michael Cobbins, and MU is heavily involved with both of them.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »
let's also not forget the recruiting landscape has changed...the early contact period has been eliminated...getting verbals from kids in June or July has got to go down going forward as most coaches simply have not seen the kids until july.  We have two commits already which is more than probably 90% of our compeitors.  Addtioanlly two top 100 kids just this week said they were visiting MU and were havily considering MU in Pinkston and Golden.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
I feel like out program is falling apart.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
Everyone here is a great MU fan.  One just raised a question.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
I feel like out program is falling apart.

I guess we can always try to find the next Karon Bradley or Kevin Mendard will that make you feel better? 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »
Thanks for the info BMA.  Admittedly my expectations for Buzz's recruiting are pretty high, for all 5 positions. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »
I guess we can always try to find the next Karon Bradley or Kevin Mendard will that make you feel better? 

I dunno if you know that teal = sarcasm
SS Marquette

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:14 AM »

If thats what you are expecting shouldn't you at least give Buzz a "couple of years" before you declare our recruiting has gone stale? I've been impressed with what Buzz (a guy with no real coaching prestige) has been able to bring in so far. With a short time frame to work with he put together a well respected class. I would give him at least until Madness until you start judging his work on 2010-11.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 03:25:59 AM »
I dunno if you know that teal = sarcasm

I think he was playing off the teal.
Marquette University, Spring '08

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
Buzz brought in what he hopes is an anchor class this year. The problem with that is that it scares off new recruits who are looking for immediate PT. They don't see that with the shelves fully stocked.

The problem with recruiting quality bigs is that we haven't incorporated bigs into the offense for years. We've been for the most part a perimeter orientated team-----meanwhile recruits see that and go where they do get a lot of touches. At some point it behooves Buzz to bite the bullet on this and allow the #5 to be an integral part of the offense. This is the perfect year for that as expectations are relatively low.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »
If he centers his offense around Chris Otule, it's going to be a long season.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
well reports are that otule has improved----we'll see, but as i say generally expectations are low anyways, although I don't see any reason why we can't go 9-9 in the BE-----so this year would be a very good time to bite the bullet. Best way to develop is by doing.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
IMO, the recruiting aspect of the MU program has been very quiet this summer except for the minor flirtation (mostly by fans) with Vander Blue. Other then that, crickets.

Though I do see that two of our former targets in Tobias Harris and Kyrie Irving seem to be in the headlines coming out of most every summer tournament.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
IMO, the recruiting aspect of the MU program has been very quiet this summer except for the minor flirtation (mostly by fans) with Vander Blue. Other then that, crickets.

Though I do see that two of our former targets in Tobias Harris and Kyrie Irving seem to be in the headlines coming out of most every summer tournament.

Marquette has been mentioned with ALOT of players throughout the summer. We will have a better idea where we stand, when we see who comes in for the Elite Camp, and then who has MU on their list of official visits.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
The best recruiting method is the one that Al McGuire used------bring in two blues a year to continually fill an 8 man rotation------in addition bring in a development guy or two each year for the practice squad. That way the blues see PT visibility. The anchor class concept is feast or famine, as blues unless part of the anchor class will generally shun the interim recruiting classes because of limited immediate PT visibility.

e.g recruiting after the 2005-06 class for 3 years was sub par------this incoming class saw immediate PT and became part of the new anchor class.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Murf, I completly agree with you, in regards to the "anchor class."  The 2005 class made it tough to continue to sign top flight guards.  However, I think the way Buzz has built the roster, they are protected against that.

SR
Hayward - F
Cubillian - SG

JR
Fulce - F
Butler - G/F
Buycks - G

SO
DJO - SG
O'Tule - C
(Clark) - F

FR
Cadougan - PG
Williams - G/F
Maymon - F
Roseboro - F
Mbao - C

2010 Class
Bowen - G
OPEN

I wouldn't consider the 2009 Class an "anchor class," as the only guaranteed starters in that class are Cadougan and Maymon. Williams/Roseboro/Mbao all have some developing to do before they are significant contributers. With the 2005 class (DJ, JM, WM)...it was a given that those 3 were going to be the starters for all 4 years...which made it difficult for TC to bring in Blue Chips behind them. 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:57:05 PM by GOMU1104 »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
oops, nevermind
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:14:33 PM by NCMUFan »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »

Which is exactly how Buzz likes it...most of Buzz's recent targets have been guys that few knew we were in on so i'm sure he's working the trail.

feedback