'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting Mail  (Read 3989 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Recruiting Mail
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:15:51 PM »
SI had an interesting <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158402/index.htm>article[/url] about recruiting mail.  They asked Roberto Nelson, a top 100 player, to save all of his recruiting mail.  He received over 2000 pieces of mail, but opened only a fairly small percent (less than 20%) of the letters.  Kentucky sent him 295 pieces of mail, but not one was personalized.  The vast majority of the mail he received was not personalized (more than 90%).  That seemed counter productive to me.  I would think it would be better to send no mail to a kid than to send nearly 300 impersonal form letters.

Ultimately, Nelson chose to go to Oregon State -- a school that called him several times, visited him once, but sent no mail.  Obviously, the article suggests that the mail is a waste of time, energy and resources.

Anybody know what Buzz and/or his staff do?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Recruiting Mail
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
I saw that article too, and thought the same thing .. impersonal mail by the hundreds?  No wonder the recruits don't open it.

Knowing Buzz's history for writing 18 million letters to NCAA coaches, I'm guessing he directs his writing volume at recruits now. 

Or sweet tea manufacturers, take your pick.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:06:42 PM »
Anyone else remember the piece in the Chicago Tribune 15 years or so ago, describing Tom "Booger Eater" Kleinschmidt's recruitment?

KO was the leader in letters sent---by far---even though Kleinschmidt didnt have MU in his top 3 (I think we were in his top 5 though).

The best part of the story was the description of what sealed his decision to go to DePaul over ND. Digger was at a game of Kleinschmidt's and winked at his mom, giving her the impression that Digger thought her son had chosen ND and was arrogant. As a result, she helped steer Kleinschmidt away from ND.  Digger resigned shortly after the article was published. 

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
I remember Buzz saying in an interview somewhere that he calls a recruiting target.  On the initial call, Buzz tells said recruit he will talk about himself for seven minutes and give his story.  Then the recruit will have seven minutes to tell Buzz about himself, and they go from there.

However, considering Buzz says he leaves no stone unturned and his aforementioned letter-writing prowess, I wouldn't be surprised if he sent out a barrage of mail as well.  Different things work for different recruits.  Why do you think coaches Twitter now (aside from the fact that they're all egomaniacs)?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »
I remember Buzz saying in an interview somewhere that he calls a recruiting target.  On the initial call, Buzz tells said recruit he will talk about himself for seven minutes and give his story.  Then the recruit will have seven minutes to tell Buzz about himself, and they go from there.

However, considering Buzz says he leaves no stone unturned and his aforementioned letter-writing prowess, I wouldn't be surprised if he sent out a barrage of mail as well.  Different things work for different recruits.  Why do you think coaches Twitter now (aside from the fact that they're all egomaniacs)?

Is that supposed to be in teal?

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
Is that supposed to be in teal?

Which part, Mr. BailBonds?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
Which part, Mr. BailBonds?

The part about the 7 minutes....is he really that rigid?  Is there a timer and a bell that goes off?  I can't believe that's really what happens so I figured you were just being sarcastic, but does he really do this? 

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:30 PM »
Given everything I've read about Buzz, I'll bet his "speech" is 420 seconds +/- 5 seconds.   ;D

I expect he gives the "target" more latitude.    ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:50 AM »
Given everything I've read about Buzz, I'll bet his "speech" is 420 seconds +/- 5 seconds.   ;D

I expect he gives the "target" more latitude.    ::)

At the BBQ, he said he was going to talk for 3 minutes, he went 3:20.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
I have read that Buzz does do that with recruits. I would rather he be honest with them and talk about himself, and let the player talk about there selves instead of him going in there and trying to talk bad about other schools and just being self centered the entire time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
I have read that Buzz does do that with recruits. I would rather he be honest with them and talk about himself, and let the player talk about there selves instead of him going in there and trying to talk bad about other schools and just being self centered the entire time.

With as much complaints about a certain other coach's rigidity, this one seems awfully rigid.  Obviously it works for him, I just found it odd.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
With as much complaints about a certain other coach's rigidity, this one seems awfully rigid.  Obviously it works for him, I just found it odd.

I highly doubt Buzz is going to cut a kid off, probably just sets it as a guide. Heck a kid might not even be able to talk about himself for 7 minutes, I'm not sure I could. I'm honestly surprised someone is looking at this as a way to knock Buzz.

I think it is cool because I'm sure the kid doesn't want to just be talked down to by a coach, and it builds a relationship.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I wonder how Mrs. Buzz feels about his tendency to time everything?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »
I wonder how Mrs. Buzz feels about his tendency to time everything?

Probably comes in real handy when keeping track of how far apart the contractions are.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 11:59:39 PM »

Come on, it's just like speed-dating.... right?  Ding!  NEXT!