'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rumor: Novak to Cavs  (Read 7294 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Rumor: Novak to Cavs
« on: August 02, 2009, 03:52:32 PM »
How great would that be?
SS Marquette

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
Re: Rumor: Novak to Cavs
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
He would be wide open all game......that would be a great move by the Cavs. They could get Novak much cheaper than his worth to them. He would be an excellent starter on that team.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »
He would be wide open all game......that would be a great move by the Cavs. They could get Novak much cheaper than his worth to them. He would be an excellent starter role player on that team.

fixed. As much as I would love to see it happening, I don't see Steve starting anywhere.  He is a great option off the bench to spark a team but is too one dimensional to start, imo.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
source?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »
source?

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Novak is a restricted FA since the Clipper tendered him a qualifying offer on 6/30/09.
SS Marquette

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:37:53 PM »
Two other players that may fit that bill are Rob Kurz and Steve Novak. Both are finesse power forwards who are known for their shooting ability out to the 3-point line. With players such as Shaquille O'Neal and Varejao who play close to the basket, the Cavs have been looking for good long-range shooting forwards for much of the summer.

It is in reference to Hakim Warrick signing with the Bucks. 

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/forward_hakim_warrick_spurs_cl.html

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
He would be wide open all game......that would be a great move by the Cavs. They could get Novak much cheaper than his worth to them. He would be an excellent starter on that team.

No offense to Steve, who I think could add a nice dimension to the Cavs-- but starter?  Are you serious? 

Not a chance.  I think the guy is better than many do, but there's no way he's starting on Cleveland.

I'd love to see the Bulls pick him up-- they're nowhere near as good as the Cavs and he wouldn't start here either. 

He adds value coming off the bench and stretching the defense. 

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »
He would be a great addition to a powerhouse team. Highly doubt a starter, but would have major impact. Would be fun to see anther Warrior win a ring!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
I suspect Danny Ferry sees a little of himself in Steve.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »
A poor man's Jason Kapono.....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »

Steve is a defensive diaster. He will always be an off the bench guy for a few minutes.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Novak can be a big time player in the right situation.....and the Cavs are that situation. Obviously his defense leaves something to be desire, but he is an ultra-efficient scorer. Adam Morrison's dad had a good line about defense "If Adam scores more than he did a good job on defense". Of course I don't agree with the statement, but it holds true for court time.  If you out-score your opponent you are likely helping your team regardless of defensive lapses.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »
That doesn't mean he's going to start.  Roll player, contributor, go to shooter, yes, but starter...no.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »
I'm a big time Cavs fan (from Cleveland) and would love to see Steve suit up for my Cavaliers.  I agree with most everyone on here though... there's no way he'd start on our team.  Anderson Varejao and Shaq are most likely gonna be our starters this coming year, but Steve could be another nice option off our bench.

I'd love to have a former Marquette player on my Cavs!! Coming to Cleveland would give Steve exposure too, rather than the Clippers!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »
I agree, great opportunity as a role player on the Cavs.  Makes LeBron that much scarier.

I think Freeway is the only one thinking that Novak starts on the Cavs.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 11:39:21 AM »
I would love to see the Bulls go after Travis and Steve since they would both be very cheap and would be more welcoming to getting Dwayne to come home.  They could offer a max contract to Wade and then a forward like Boozer/Bosh/Amare if they clear a little more space.  Novak and Diener would be perfect role players on that team off the bench and it would be nice to have the Final Four team so close to campus.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »
I would love to see the Bulls go after Travis and Steve since they would both be very cheap and would be more welcoming to getting Dwayne to come home.  They could offer a max contract to Wade and then a forward like Boozer/Bosh/Amare if they clear a little more space.  Novak and Diener would be perfect role players on that team off the bench and it would be nice to have the Final Four team so close to campus.

Are you living in a dream world HoopsMalone?  It would be good to see if you're a fan of any team other than the Bulls in the Central division... As much as it would be reminicent of some great times at MU, I don't think this move would make the Bulls a better team.  Novak adds something unique, but I haven't heard his name as a guy we're going for.  Diener seems to be doing well in Indiana and if I'm not mistaken, is under contract for another year or two.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
Not to mention the fact that having either Diener or Novak on the Bulls would no more incent Wade to come to Chicago then if Jared Sichting was suiting up for them. Get real.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »
If Diener and Wade go to the Bulls, will there still be spots on the roster for McNeal, Wes, and DJ?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »

As both a Marquette fan and Golden State Warrior fan, I would welcome this!

Finally, another team to beat up on! LOL!
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
If Diener and Wade go to the Bulls, will there still be spots on the roster for McNeal, Wes, and DJ?

What's the word on "the street?"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »

What's the word on "the street?"

The word on the street is the Dwyane is 50/50 about coming back to Chicago or staying in Miami. He like Miami (who wouldn't) and there aren't any state taxes. What I heard is he will be swayed by where he has a shot to win another ring and wants to stay in a big(ger) market.

Another thing I heard is that many of the NBA teams, including the Bulls are not going to keep as many players on their rosters this year due to economic constraints and/or they are going to sign "cheap" players. This is a double edged sword for guys like McNeal and Matthews who have an outside shot at making the NBA. They have the advantage of being first year FAs under the collective bargaining agreement and are therefore the cheapest labor available, but they are at a stark disadvantage in that there are simply fewer "jobs" available in the NBA next year.
We Are Marquette

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:59 PM »
The word on the street is the Dwyane is 50/50 about coming back to Chicago or staying in Miami. He like Miami (who wouldn't) and there aren't any state taxes. What I heard is he will be swayed by where he has a shot to win another ring and wants to stay in a big(ger) market.

Another thing I heard is that many of the NBA teams, including the Bulls are not going to keep as many players on their rosters this year due to economic constraints and/or they are going to sign "cheap" players. This is a double edged sword for guys like McNeal and Matthews who have an outside shot at making the NBA. They have the advantage of being first year FAs under the collective bargaining agreement and are therefore the cheapest labor available, but they are at a stark disadvantage in that there are simply fewer "jobs" available in the NBA next year.

Works everywhere else in the market, hasn't it?   //end sarcasm

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
Novak would have given the Cavs exactly what they needed last year against Orlando, I tall guy who can get a hand up in the face of a tall outside shooter.  I know he is weak defensively, but that's what the Cavs needed.  My brother lives in downtown Cleveland, and took my son to see the Cavs play the night Novak was on fire this season.  At one point he turned to my son and said, "I think that Novak guy lighting it up was a Marquette player, ask your Dad."  I wonder if that night - he had 20-some points I believe - made the impression on the Cavs.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:43 AM »
If Novak was struggling for minutes on the Clippers....and he's one of my favorite MU players of all time...I doubt he'd get any serious minutes on the Eastern Conference's best team.