[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carter the PG  (Read 14555 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Carter the PG
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
Junior understood how to get the ball to the bigmen. Buzz said he not only could get the ball to the bigmen, but he knew where they wanted to receive it. This was a skill that Derrick did not have. All you had to do was watch how Cadougan gave the ball to Gardner vs. how Derrick did to see the difference. When Cadougan passed the ball to Otule he passed it where Otule could see it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
Pretty sure Mandy was first team Street & Smith. Carter ain't that, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »
Traci and Haanif will have a test today with the press.  Need to keep the turnovers down. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
Traci Carter is averaging a turnover about every ten minutes of game time.  Dominic James averaged one every 11.5 minutes or so as a freshman.  Obviously James was a better scorer, but Traci gets an assist every five minutes while DJ got one every six.

Not a relevant comp. Dom was a 28% usage and %Shots guy and had an 18% turnover rate. Traci is a 13% %shots guy who carries a 30% turnover rate.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Not a relevant comp. Dom was a 28% usage and %Shots guy and had an 18% turnover rate. Traci is a 13% %shots guy who carries a 30% turnover rate.

Thanks.  I knew if I threw something out there, someone would provide more depth.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
I remember Junior being on teams that went to the Sweet 16 twice and the Elite 8. I don't remember him taking us there. I remember a shooting guard, Dwight Buycks, starting ahead of him at the point on the first Sweet 16 team, I remember Jae Crowder and DJO taking us to the second Sweet 16, and I remember Vander Blue and Jamil Wilson taking us to the Elite 8.

Junior was there, but he wasn't the driving force on any of those teams. He was a below average starter and never close to dynamic. Maurice Acker was closer to being a dynamic PG than Junior. Hell...Junior mustered 3 assists in our 3 wins in the 2013 tournament. I wonder if a starting PG ever provided less to get to the Elite 8.

Junior did have our second-biggest shot of that season, though, draining that 3 against UConn.

He was competent but nothing special. As I have said many times, his play should be the "floor" for all Marquette PGs. We can't win with anything worse than Junior and we really should be able to attract/develop much better PGs.

It's still way too early to know how Carter will compare.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2016, 10:36:25 PM »
Junior did have our second-biggest shot of that season, though, draining that 3 against UConn.

He was competent but nothing special. As I have said many times, his play should be the "floor" for all Marquette PGs. We can't win with anything worse than Junior and we really should be able to attract/develop much better PGs.

It's still way too early to know how Carter will compare.

Agreed. And that UConn shot was epic. That said, I will always hope for PGs better than Junior. Great kid, good representative, but we more won with him than because of him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2016, 01:03:29 AM »
What is the deal with Marquette fans and point guards?

- a large minority of fans hated on James and he was a fantastic player
- a large minority of fans hated on Cadougan and he had two solid upperclassmen years
- nearly everyone hated on Derrick Wilson but he was the best option among who could play point

Now a group is hating on Carter.  Some things never change I guess.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2016, 07:42:38 AM »

- a large minority of fans hated on Cadougan and he had two solid upperclassmen years
- nearly everyone hated on Derrick Wilson but he was the best option among who could play point

I agree that the crap Dom took was puzzling.  I suspect it was because he was SO good his freshman year--to the point of nearly leaving for the NBA draft--and he generally failed to reach that level his next two years, along with the team failing to advance far in the tournament.  By his senior year he was playing fantastically but in a less obvious way, i.e., incredible defense but now the third option on offense.

As for the others, they are victims of comparisons.  MU has been fortunate to have some not good but truly great PGs historically, and Junior and Derrick never sniffed the levels reached by Travis, Tony Miller, Doc, Meminger, Walton, etc.  They didn't even reach the Really Good levels of a Cordell Henry.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »

Nearly 4 in 10 shots that Dom took were 3-pointers. He was a career 29.1% 3-point shooter. He was a career 46% eFG shooter.

Junior had monster turnover rates ever season. His best year was as a senior when he carried a 26% turnover rate. Ouch. He also was a career 22.1% 3-point shooter and his best eFG% season was a weak 45.8%.

Derrick didn't shoot much, but when he did it was awful (17.7% 3FG, 42.1% 2FG, 45.6% FT). A pass-first PG who wasn't looked to for scoring, he still never had a sub-20% turnover rate in any season.

I think a big issue that fans see is their point guards of the past have been turning it over a lot and are not good (even decent?) scoring options, which takes away from the overall offense.

Wednesday we'll see some point guards who can pass, score, and have good turnover rates, aina?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
Nearly 4 in 10 shots that Dom took were 3-pointers. He was a career 29.1% 3-point shooter. He was a career 46% eFG shooter.

Junior had monster turnover rates ever season. His best year was as a senior when he carried a 26% turnover rate. Ouch. He also was a career 22.1% 3-point shooter and his best eFG% season was a weak 45.8%.

Derrick didn't shoot much, but when he did it was awful (17.7% 3FG, 42.1% 2FG, 45.6% FT). A pass-first PG who wasn't looked to for scoring, he still never had a sub-20% turnover rate in any season.

I think a big issue that fans see is their point guards of the past have been turning it over a lot and are not good (even decent?) scoring options, which takes away from the overall offense.

Wednesday we'll see some point guards who can pass, score, and have good turnover rates, right?

I imagine you could use stats to find faults in just about any player Marquette has had in the last fifteen years sans maybe a Crowder or a Wade.  My point is it seems the point guard position seems to get some pretty tough fault finding compared to others.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »
I imagine you could use stats to find faults in just about any player Marquette has had in the last fifteen years sans maybe a Crowder or a Wade.  My point is it seems the point guard position seems to get some pretty tough fault finding compared to others.

My point is the PG's you brought up were especially deficient in their offense

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »

This ... except why should DWade and Jae get a free pass, either?

I mean, Wade was 4-for-11 and had 5 TOs against Holy Cross in the first NCAA tourney game of 2003. There is no triple-double vs Kentucky if Diener doesn't save Wade and the Warriors. Ipso fatso, Wade wasn't good enough.

Crowder didn't even average 12 points or 7 rebounds as a junior. He shot 62% from the free-throw line. He had 11 pts, 4 TO and 4 fouls when we got creamed by North Carolina in the NCAAs. Obviously, Crowder had too many faults.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
I love how hard Carter plays.  He really earns the nickname "the engine."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Agreed. And that UConn shot was epic. That said, I will always hope for PGs better than Junior. Great kid, good representative, but we more won with him than because of him.

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The Elite 8, Big East regular season championship team had essentially 6 starters - Junior, Blue, Lockett, Jamil and Ox/Tule. Each had elements of deficiency and each spent some serious time in the Scoop Penalty Box. Yet they gave us our second best season in 4 decades.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The Elite 8, Big East regular season championship team had essentially 6 starters - Junior, Blue, Lockett, Jamil and Ox/Tule. Each had elements of deficiency and each spent some serious time in the Scoop Penalty Box. Yet they gave us our second best season in 4 decades.

And I would argue the prior season team was the best team since the 2003 team.  Having the MVP of the old Big East, and getting to the Sweet Sixteen was pretty good.  We just ran into a fantastic Florida team otherwise that team was Final Four caliber.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »
Dominic James completely suffered from expectations tied to an incredible freshman year.  And cause he wasn't a great jump shooter, when he was off, he was OFF.  Especially at the FT line, thus he became unfairly maligned even though he was the best defender by far on the team, even better than Jerel.

I was thinking during the SJ game, Traci hit a 3 and I was pleasantly surprised, and then I thought how it had been awhile since MU had a PG you expected to score with regularity.  I think Traci will be a good player but still.

Markus Howard, your table is ready!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »
And I would argue the prior season team was the best team since the 2003 team.  Having the MVP of the old Big East, and getting to the Sweet Sixteen was pretty good.  We just ran into a fantastic Florida team otherwise that team was Final Four caliber.

Agree. That 2012 team was really, really good. The Otule injury really hurt. Could have used a good interior defender that season.

feedback