'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excellent Interview with Al Amadou  (Read 4581 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Excellent Interview with Al Amadou
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 11:14:31 AM »
Shooter

The chump change does make a difference. It is a like a race track, they would not be open without the $2 bettor.

Very true. I’m liking the optimistic response by many posters like you because that means  things are happening beyond what is common knowledge about this issue. 

Uncle Rico,  my only concern is it just takes one big donor and coach at another school to think Oso or Omax is the missing piece and they come up with the money.  I really hope my concern is unfounded and you are dead on. 

Anyway,  back to enjoying the season.  Tomorrow’s game should be a good one.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 11:17:55 AM »
Very true. I’m liking the optimistic response by many posters like you because that means  things are happening beyond what is common knowledge about this issue. 

Uncle Rico,  my only concern is it just takes one big donor and coach at another school to think Oso or Omax is the missing piece and they come up with the money.  I really hope my concern is unfounded and you are dead on. 

Anyway,  back to enjoying the season.  Tomorrow’s game should be a good one.

It’s possible that happens.  I won’t dismiss it.  I think it’s more likely individual players or their intermediaries sniff around for big deals and seeing how Shaka and company are running the program, I’m not sure he’s recruiting this type of players.  I also think he’s experienced and savvy enough to handle this new era of college athletics
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 11:21:42 AM »
Interesting sidenote on the portal, I heard today that Georgia football does not have one player from the portal on their team. That is amazing for football and shows it can be done in basketball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2022, 11:34:10 AM »
Interesting sidenote on the portal, I heard today that Georgia football does not have one player from the portal on their team. That is amazing for football and shows it can be done in basketball.

The best programs will only use the portal to supplement, not build.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »
I was a big fan on the portal idea, but after seeing what Shaka has done at MU, I have changed my mind to some degree. I prefer this over having four new starters every year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 11:46:22 AM »
Honest question as I haven't followed the portal that closely, but in the last 2 years are there any other examples of a poaching to this degree occurring? Oso getting poached by another school due to NIL would seem pretty unprecedented to me. Optics would be terrible and MU would make sure to match any offer I would imagine. Oso also seems to have a lot of loyalty to MU as I assumed he was out the door when Wojo got canned. I think Oso plays 2 more seasons at MU after this one.

I'd be pretty stunned if Oso plays 2 more seasons of college ball.

His current development track + skillset will have him more than capable of high end pro ball somewhere by the end of next season. Don't see him wanting to do a year 5 of college. And hes already nearly graduated I believe.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2022, 12:28:41 PM »
I'd be pretty stunned if Oso plays 2 more seasons of college ball.

His current development track + skillset will have him more than capable of high end pro ball somewhere by the end of next season. Don't see him wanting to do a year 5 of college. And hes already nearly graduated I believe.

I really like Shaka's developing players in his system. I am also glad that there is no longer the 1 year sit out rule. For Marquette under Shaka, I think we are much more likely to prosper under the new rules. (insert Tower style joke- we have already Prospered). Sure, we may lose a player or maybe two to another school, but I think the in-transfers will either equal or surpass the out-transfers in talent. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2022, 12:40:19 PM »
I really like Shaka's developing players in his system. I am also glad that there is no longer the 1 year sit out rule. For Marquette under Shaka, I think we are much more likely to prosper under the new rules. (insert Tower style joke- we have already Prospered). Sure, we may lose a player or maybe two to another school, but I think the in-transfers will either equal or surpass the out-transfers in talent.

I like it too.

He knows his system is better for specific players and one that thrives off developing within it so I like that it seems that he will not use the portal much unless something really necessary comes along.

And the way he used the portal last year leaves me confident that should there come a time where we have a bunch of opening for whatever reason. That he can find the right guys to replenish.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2022, 01:42:12 PM »
I view NIL as a competitor to an NBA two way contract.

Top 40 picks will make too much money longterm to risk sticking around an extra year in college.  But the mid to late 2nd round and undrafted free agents are the players that you might be able to convince to stick around.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
The best programs will only use the portal to supplement, not build.
USC football might disagree

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2022, 03:42:02 PM »
USC football might disagree

Immediate fixes notwithstanding

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2022, 04:06:53 PM »
Oso takes a huge chance if he leaves MU to play elsewhere...playing at MU has helped him reach his full potential...if he goes to a big $ school, and for many posssible reasons, he doesn't play as well in their system...it's going to hurt his value on the professional market. 

I directly know of a 6'9" bruiser at a low mid-major (Atlantic Sun team) who was offered $50k from a big $ school.  He turned it down because he felt his value as an eventual pro overseas would take a hit if he was in a reserve roll.  Not that Oso would be a reserve at a big $ school, but there's a lot to think about before messing with a situation that is proving wildly successful.  Shaka seems to get this as well as anyone. Where does Oso think he can go and play point-forward for a coach that cares about him and caters to his skill-set?  He has to be thrilled with what he has gotten from MU.  Leaving for $100k would be a huge long-term risk. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2022, 04:18:39 PM »
Oso takes a huge chance if he leaves MU to play elsewhere...playing at MU has helped him reach his full potential...if he goes to a big $ school, and for many posssible reasons, he doesn't play as well in their system...it's going to hurt his value on the professional market. 

I directly know of a 6'9" bruiser at a low mid-major (Atlantic Sun team) who was offered $50k from a big $ school.  He turned it down because he felt his value as an eventual pro overseas would take a hit if he was in a reserve roll.  Not that Oso would be a reserve at a big $ school, but there's a lot to think about before messing with a situation that is proving wildly successful.  Shaka seems to get this as well as anyone. Where does Oso think he can go and play point-forward for a coach that cares about him and caters to his skill-set?  He has to be thrilled with what he has gotten from MU.  Leaving for $100k would be a huge long-term risk.

100% agree, avid, but 100k might be low. I think someone on Scoop reported that Dawson Garcia got 600k from UNC and he’s not even very good. Who knows how much Oso might be offered?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2022, 04:24:12 PM »
He might be worth more. And he might leave and be immediately eligible elsewhere. But that's what college athletics is these days and I am sure Shaka has a very good understanding of what that means and the options available.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »
I fully believe that Shaka and you know how to the NIL game is played. If Shaka feels he needs Oso back next year, I think they will find the money, regardless of amount.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
I fully believe that Shaka and you know how to the NIL game is played. If Shaka feels he needs Oso back next year, I think they will find the money, regardless of amount.

Deep pockets paid for Wojo to take a hike. BTD has the means to keep any player that wants to stay. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2022, 04:49:24 PM »
Panda

Everyone loves to support a winner. If this team continues to play well and has some March success, there will be money for everyone.

panda

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2022, 04:50:56 PM »
Panda

Everyone loves to support a winner. If this team continues to play well and has some March success, there will be money for everyone.

Yep - and we’re right there. There should be no concerns on keeping players with NIL interests

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »
I saw a great interview of Amandou on Fox News on NIL and he stated that was not a big factor in his decision making on choosing MU. The kid was great.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2022, 04:53:39 PM »
Yep - and we’re right there. There should be no concerns on keeping players with NIL interests

And if there are concerns, you put them in a room with Kolek.  I'm only half joking.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2022, 06:26:34 PM »
I suspect this is a position Shaka will have to address via the portal. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Gold so far, but I have a tough time envisioning him as a primary 5 man for a successful Marquette team.
Or MU could end up playing 5 out and developing Gold as interior good D, he has shown the potential.
Goal is National Championship

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2022, 07:07:09 PM »
100% agree, avid, but 100k might be low. I think someone on Scoop reported that Dawson Garcia got 600k from UNC and he’s not even very good. Who knows how much Oso might be offered?
Yeah...I have no clue what they are getting/worth.  The only actual number I'm aware of was $50-$100k to play for Kentucky in a role similar to Theo John at Duke.  I know all of one current D1 player well, and it's interesting to hear what he has been offered and what his friends are reporting being offered.  Also interesting to hear about how kids are being told to keep their mouths shut amongst themselves for obvious reasons. 

I guess I figure we can likely pay about like what we spend...so we should be competitive...and obviously have an advantage with our current players for all the other reasons stated.  I think Shaka is dead set on developing and retaining talent.  Losing a player that has developed at MU like Oso has...because of $...would essentially be the end of MU bball.

The UNC quarterback denied it...but the Pitt coach had said teams offered him $5 million.  If true, that's the annual earnings of the 12th pick in the NFL draft.  If that kind of money is out there, we should really start seeing some interesting moves from college players soon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 07:12:42 PM by avid1010 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2022, 07:17:14 PM »
avid

I have heard that three MU players were getting $100k + this year. I make get have heard it here or somewhere else, but sounds about right to me. Let’s pay these guys some money and build a program.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
avid

I have heard that three MU players were getting $100k + this year. I make get have heard it here or somewhere else, but sounds about right to me. Let’s pay these guys some money and build a program.

Maybe if they count tuition room and board as 63K of that

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2022, 08:18:32 PM »
Maybe if they count tuition room and board as 63K of that
$100k to a couple guys seems very likely to me.  Omax, Kam, Tyler, Jop, Oso all had to have interest from other schools to some extent.  I spoke to a former MU player who has a good/regular relationship with TD...sounds like they have their sh1t together with the gym and NIL funds.  I don't think we will outbid UK for 1-and-done guys...but I do think the NIL will ensure Shaka can recruit and retain 4 year players.  There is purely basketball reasons for this...but also NIL reasons.  They are essentially buying cheap by not going after elite talent, and using the $ saved to ensure guys get $ as they age/develop.  It makes perfect sense at a school like MU.