[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another reason to dislike Duke and Coach K  (Read 6340 times)

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
Another reason to dislike Duke and Coach K
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20290116/will-coach-k-duke-skate-again?-yes-unless-the-heat-stays-on-blue-devils

If this has any validity, people should know about this. If this is true, its complete BS that this is happening.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:35:17 AM by BRMU23 »
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
Re: Another reason to dislike Duke and Coach K
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
IF the NCAA has any special treatment for Duke because of Coach K's influence  and reputation, let's not forget Penn State. Prior to the Sandusky stuff, Joe Pa was held in as high regard by the NCAA and other's as Coach K, if not more, and probably escaped scrutiny of other, previous "minor violations" we weren't even advised of.

But, a huge unimaginable transgression committed by several people, including Joe Pa, turned that tide of public opinion and respect totally around there.

Something similar could happen at Duke. I am not wishing for it or even predicting it but those from high places have farther to fall if and when something unexpected happens.

Coach K and Duke are almost as polarizing as Notre Dame. Either love'em or hate'em and the haters sometimes rejoice in seeing others fall or take their lumps. Even if Coach K and Duke do get "special consideration" today, that atmosphere won't last forever for any number of reasons........and a major gaffe by any number of people associated with the program at any time could be the starter.

Just sayin....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
I not sure why I should dislike Coach K about this? It is a good reason to dislike the NCAA. I suspect that almost every player has received something that is not allowed. It does bug me that Juan received a three game suspension for accepting a Brewer ticket. It seemed to be a harsh punishment for the crime. However, I wonder if that was the NCAA's fault. I suspect MU reported the violation and the fact that they were suspending Juan for three games. In that case the NCAA would of just accepted it. What we do not know is whether they would have accepted a one game suspension, if MU would have offered that. Or if the three game suspension was the NCAA's idea, would they have accepted an appeal for a lesser suspension. It is the same thing with MU suspending Buzz for a game. We will never know what the NCAA would have done, if MU did not do that. As always with the NCAA, things seem to be out of line. Miami supposedly had major violations a couple of years ago and I am not aware of anything that became of that. All I know is Haith moved on to Missouri with no apparent punishment.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »
2010 NCAA Basketball Champion ... Butler University???

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
The issue isn't how this looks--its what the NCAA can prove anything.

Start with the relevant section of the NCAA bylaws:

16.11.1.2 Deferred Pay-Back Loan. A student-athlete may receive a loan on a deferred pay-back basis with-out jeopardizing his or her eligibility, provided: [R] (Adopted: 1/11/94)
(a) The loan arrangements are not contrary to the extra-benefit rule; and
(b) The student-athlete’s athletics reputation, skill or pay-back potential as a future professional athlete is not considered by the lending agency in its decision to provide the loan.

Indignantly arguing that "Of COURSE he got this loan becuase of future potential!" does not constitute proof. The NCAA would have to prove it, not just assume it.

And without the testimony of the jewler or Thomas, it would be nearly impossible to prove that athletic ability wasn't a factor.

In Duke's defense, they could claim that while this is unusual reason for a student to take a loan, it's not out of the question that other Duke students wouldn't be able to obtain a similar loan, citing:

1. Duke students earn among the highest starting salaries of all colleges--starting on average at $55k and increasing to $117K.    
Source: http://bigblog.dukechronicle.com/news/starting-and-mid-career-salaries-after-duke/

As such, Duke students in general would be more likely to pay such a loan back compared to other 22-year olds, and are routinely offered credit cards, car loans and other debt prior to graduation.

2. Thomas was on a full-ride scholarship and had no other college expenses. Other Duke students routinely enter school with some savings, earn some money over the summer, and leave school with six-figure student loan balances. They down payment and size of this loan isn't out of the ordinary compared to the assets, summer earnings and and aggregate debt amassed by other Duke students.

3. The retailer would likely have secured the loan with the asset, reducing their risk.

4. The retailer likely made insuring the asset against theft or loss a requirement of getting the loan, further reducing the risk.

5. The asset is not likely to depreciate, and may even appreciate given recent trends in gold prices, hence if the loan wasn't repaid, reposession of the asset wouldn't result in financial loss (as might be the case with a vehicle).

Therefore, they would argue that this loan is permissible under the NCAA guidelines cited above.

Again, I don't believe that Thomas' athletic ability wasn't a factor--but without his or the Jewler's tesimony, its hard to make an argument that this is something unavailable to  other students.  And if, by chance, any other non-athlete left school with some similar loan--be it for jewlery, a car, whatever--then the NCAA's case is over.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »
Again, I don't believe that Thomas' athletic ability wasn't a factor--but without his or the Jewler's tesimony, its hard to make an argument that this is something unavailable to  other students.  And if, by chance, any other non-athlete left school with some similar loan--be it for jewlery, a car, whatever--then the NCAA's case is over.

and that is the hangup in this case, oh and that Doyel has a massive hardon for anything Duke according to DBR   ::)
Some speculate that it is because Duke basketball closed ranks against him when he was writing a biography of K. Given his behavior since that time, we can certainly understand why nobody trusted him: he’s the furthest thing from a real journalist. He’s a guy who doesn’t just bully but who enjoys it. He’s a guy who gets a certain pleasure out of sticking a knife in your ribs and watching you suffer. He’s a guy who uses his megaphone to humiliate and embarrass people without hesitation, particularly if it also advances his career, much of which is based on ridicule, braggadocio, and being a moral cuckold.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »
I not sure why I should dislike Coach K about this?

agreed...i dislike him because he told elton brand (who had absolute no money at the time) that if he left duke early he would be the demise of the duke basketball program. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
^ never heard that one, any chance of a link for that?

I'm not busting your chops - I just want to see behind the wizard's curtain like everyone else

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »
^ never heard that one, any chance of a link for that?

I'm not busting your chops - I just want to see behind the wizard's curtain like everyone else

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/11/16/2566121/mike-krzyzewski-record-duke-basketball-bob-knight

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/11/16/2566121/mike-krzyzewski-record-duke-basketball-bob-knight
that's the exact story i remember reading years ago...just remember it as being brand and not avery....thanks for the link. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
and that is the hangup in this case, oh and that Doyel has a massive hardon for anything Duke according to DBR   ::)

I'd love to kow what DBR  means when he calls Doyel a "moral cuckold".
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
like i needed another reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOgC2Qbqh4

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Doyal either, but its not like ESPN would report anything bad about Duke.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
Coach K has been at or near the top of an extremely competitive profession for more than three decades. He (with John Wooden) is the most accomplished college coach in history. By almost all accounts, he has done it the right way. Like all people who stand out above the crowd, he has his detractors. Some don't like the way he looks. Some don't like his politics. Some don't like that he beats them too regularly. Does it surprise me that after a long and distinguished career of virtually unparalleled success that there's a "journalist" out there with an axe to grind? Or an ex player or parent who's less than happy with him? I'll stipulate that everyone makes mistakes and has regrets in their lives - that's not exactly a news flash. But on balance, my guess is that K sleeps (justifiably) pretty well at night.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
Ironically, John Wooden benefited from a major booster who paid players and claimed ignorance as well.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-uclalegacy040206

feedback