[Today at 09:01:57 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue Down To 5  (Read 17544 times)

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Vander Blue Down To 5
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
So contributing to the Blue & Gold fund makes you a booster?

Was this supposed to be in teal?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »
So a $10 check sent to the basketball offices at the Kohl Center and a few Facebook posts can open up a can of worms for our friends to the west?  That seems a little too easy.  I am guessing some people in Kentucky or NC would have tried that already.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »
So a $10 check sent to the basketball offices at the Kohl Center and a few Facebook posts can open up a can of worms for our friends to the west?  That seems a little too easy.  I am guessing some people in Kentucky or NC would have tried that already.

As easy as the random birthday cards UW athletes get from boosters stuffed with $$$.

Did you know a UW-Madison athlete has up to 150 birthdays in a single year...it's incredible.

;D

Relax Badger fans, I'm teasing.

At the end of the day, the NCAA will do what the NCAA does.  A facebook posting befriending isn't going to put MU on NCAA probation, but if another school wants to be pricks about it, they can certainly make MU jump through some hoops and have to self report minor violations.  So it's best just not to go down that path.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
As easy as the random birthday cards UW athletes get from boosters stuffed with $$$.

Did you know a UW-Madison athlete has up to 150 birthdays in a single year...it's incredible.

;D

Relax Badger fans, I'm teasing.

At the end of the day, the NCAA will do what the NCAA does.  A facebook posting befriending isn't going to put MU on NCAA probation, but if another school wants to be pricks about it, they can certainly make MU jump through some hoops and have to self report minor violations.  So it's best just not to go down that path.

When I was a high schooler in Madison in the mid 80s, I witnessed first hand a rather famous Badger booster giving $$$ to a future NFL linebacker on a golf course when I got paired up with them as a single golfer.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
Chico

There's more truth to what you say than you know. Back when I was at MU one of my good friends from HS was a starting defensive player at Notre Dame. He was recruited by Parseghian and ended his career under Dan Devine. For several years (when he started) I regularly visited on game weekends.

Every week he got dozens of letters from their "subway alumni" (all people he had never met) from all over the country with a brief note telling him what a great game he had played and also enclosed was cash, anywhere from $20-100 depending on the person telling him to "go buy yourself a good steak." (remember this was in the early 70s so $20 went a long way) He was named Defensive player of the week by AP/UPI several times and the number of envelopes went up as did the amount of the enclosures on those weeks. When he returned to school for his junior season he found that his order for his class ring was stamped "paid in full."  Each week as the players left the stadium after the game, crowds of people remained to wish them well. Strangers would come up, shake his hand while congratulating him on the game and most would have at least a $20 bill palmed in their hand as they did so.

I don't know how ANY school can police these types of things short of having all mail sent to and opened by the AD and prohibiting any contact with fans.  This happened at ND under Parseghian so it can and probably does happen almost everywhere.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
Here's Marquette's page on the issue.

If it was linked already, sorry for the repeat.  I think this may be where Chico got his information.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:35:27 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
The NCAA wants ambiguity on the booster definition (in my opinion).  In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry and we should stay away from facebook friendships with student athletes.  It's very easy to track those associations and only takes a few people from rival schools to cause MU problems....that is until the NCAA changes their definitions on this stuff which I do not think they will.  They are "technology neutral" in their application of their rules.

Here's how it is defined (the one in red is very vague)

What is a "booster?" (a.k.a. Representative of Marquette University's Athletics Interests)

You become a booster if:

You have ever been a member of any organization promoting Marquette University
You have ever made any type of donation to MU Athletics, or a MU booster organization
You assisted in any manner the recruitment of a prospective student-athlete,
You have ever assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families
You are the parent or legal guardian of an enrolled student-athlete,
You have promoted MU Athletics in any other manner.

Once an individual is identified as a "booster" the individual retains the booster identity forever. NCAA rules hold Marquette University responsible for all actions of its athletics representatives and boosters. Any booster involved in a NCAA violation may lose benefits and privileges associated with the athletic program. Such benefits and privileges may include, without limitation, ticket privileges that may be withheld by Marquette University for a period of time deemed to be reasonably appropriate by the NCAA, Big East or MU. The revocation of ticket privileges may result in a booster being denied admittance to any MU hosted athletics event.

Chico, I understand that they intentionally keep it vague to prosecute (persecute? haha) as they see fit.  But what I am getting at is that their definition is too vague.  By their definition anyone who has watched a game on TV (even someone who has played a NCAA pool!) is a booster.  What I am saying is that their definition would get shredded in court if someone took it that far.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 05:02:57 PM »
I just saw Dick Strong as one of Vander Blue’s friends on Facebook.  Somebody blow the whistle!!  He’s either a dirty old man or a slimy booster looking to gain an edge.   Either way,  you’re guilty of something fishy if you’re a male over the age of 20 and you frequent Facebook. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 05:07:32 PM »
I just saw Dick Strong as one of Vander Blue’s friends on Facebook.  Somebody blow the whistle!!  He’s either a dirty old man or a slimy booster looking to gain an edge.   Either way,  you’re guilty of something fishy if you’re a male over the age of 20 and you frequent Facebook. 

And, ergo you are 19 or female?
Ludum habemus.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

Either way,  you’re guilty of something fishy if you’re a male over the age of 20 and you frequent Facebook. 

I just read in today's paper that Facebook claims that nearly 50% of their users are people 30 and over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
I just read in today's paper that Facebook claims that nearly 50% of their users are people 30 and over.

Hello....I've got pretty much half of MU '90 as friends.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »

I hope this is not true.....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »

Oy, I'm guessing that's just a rodent trying to cause problems.  Of course, Strong did get his MBA from UW-Madison.  He doesn't have any degrees from Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
I hope this is not true.....

It's not...Vander Blue is not facebook friends with Dick Strong.

feedback