[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129270 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #11075 on: August 24, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »
All dis chit iz politics, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11076 on: August 24, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
I'm guessing self-reported (it was a poll), so yes, grain of salt.

The only thing I could find on NBC's website said 1000 likely voters, 600 non-landline.  No other sampling or other demographic info.

Shaker of salt, hey?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11077 on: August 24, 2021, 02:50:48 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:56:48 PM by real chili 83 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11078 on: August 24, 2021, 03:11:47 PM »
That time when dgies accidentally called for vaccination mandates.

What about my fraud example? You OK with "Your government is not protecting the stupid's right to be stupid" when that stupid person gets tangled in a pyramid scheme or believes their grandchild is locked up in a Guatemalan jail?

Brother Pakuni:

You make me sound like a reactionary conservative. I'm really not, as much as a pragmatist. It's not like personal ethics, where absolute moral values clash with situationalism. Here, I'm declaring this a Dr. Beach-free zone!

This isn't either an ethical or moral issue: It's common sense and therefore I'm less worried about the precedent.

That said, my philosophy for what it's worth is this:

You're right, Your risk!

You can choose to be stupid. But your idiocy has consequences. Like, not being able to enter certain buildings, stores and public places. Like not being able to fly, ride a train or Mass Transit. And, if you're stupid after, say November 1, 2021, then the government should tell the world Medicare and Medicaid won't cover the cost of getting sick from Covid and private insurance can "opt out." of covering Covid-19 illness in non-vaccinated persons.

My governor has opposed vaccine passports. It's a strange hill for him to die on, since it assures the stupid are treated for what they are -- stupid. It means that certain governors who again are threatening dire actions (aka, Illinois) doesn't have to.

The answer is so clear. We spent billions on behalf of all of us. Take advantage of one of the few efficient government programs and GET VACCINATED.

Don't be stupid!

P.S. -- I watch American Greed and see way too much of the fraud for which you address. While I want the perpetrators arrested, there is a part of me that says, "my God, how can someone be so stupid!" My morality says, "you don't steal from the stupid," but you gotta wonder sometimes whether the story is really the story!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11079 on: August 24, 2021, 03:44:24 PM »

You're right, Your risk!

You can choose to be stupid. But your idiocy has consequences. Like, not being able to enter certain buildings, stores and public places. Like not being able to fly, ride a train or Mass Transit. And, if you're stupid after, say November 1, 2021, then the government should tell the world Medicare and Medicaid won't cover the cost of getting sick from Covid and private insurance can "opt out." of covering Covid-19 illness in non-vaccinated persons.

My governor has opposed vaccine passports. It's a strange hill for him to die on, since it assures the stupid are treated for what they are -- stupid. It means that certain governors who again are threatening dire actions (aka, Illinois) doesn't have to.

The answer is so clear. We spent billions on behalf of all of us. Take advantage of one of the few efficient government programs and GET VACCINATED.

Don't be stupid!

As a well left of center Lib, I agree.

Free country. Free choices. Deal with the consequences of those choices.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11080 on: August 24, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
You lay out a good case DG but so much of what's important is what's not said.  Take DeSantis, he isn't just some crusader for liberty*.  If he was, he be begging people to get vaccinated on their own or wear masks where necessary. Instead he stays quiet on these issues as he knows his base hates to hear about them.  He also stays quiet when supportive press (like Tucker Carlson) introduce vaccine conspiracies.  You can support liberty while also telling Tucker to shut up the vaccines are safe.  His silence makes him complicit.  At least Asa Hutchinson has expressed regret over base appealing policies that have misfired. 

*to say nothing about how anti GOP it is to try and force policy on private enterprise. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 04:05:31 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11081 on: August 24, 2021, 04:13:28 PM »
You lay out a good case DG but so much of what's important is what's not said.  DeSantis isn't just some crusader for liberty*.  If he was he be begging people to get vaccinated on their own or wear masks where necessary. Instead he stay quiet on these issues that he knows his base hates to hear about.  He also stays quiet when supportive press (like Tucker Carlson) introduce vaccine conspiracies.  You can support liberty while also telling Tucker to shut up the vaccines are safe.  His silence makes him complicit.  At least Asa Hutchinson has expressed regret over base appealing policies that have misfired. 

*to say nothing about how anti GOP it is to try and force policy on private enterprise.

Brother Lens:

Don't know if you live in Florida or not. I do, a good hunk of the year. I actually have heard my Governor advocate for vaccinations. He was a leader in setting the allocation process for "seniors First," because that segment of our population, which is significant (just watch all the errant blinkers on any Florida highway, if you don't believe me), also is the most vulnerable to the disease. You didn't see a whole lot of people under 70 dying in Florida, unless they had underlying conditions.

DeSantis made sure the seniors and folks with underlying medical conditions were 1 and 1A in the line for vaccine. And yes, he pushed it to our citizenry.

He was on television earlier this year (I live in the Palm Beach television market) regularly pushing the vaccine.

I'll admit, I'm not sure Charlie Crist or Nikki Fried (the two Democrats likely to run for governor against DeSantis) would have done any different, other than to shut the state down a la Illinois or New York. But to suggest DeSantis didn't advocate vaccination is wrong. It's something that's coming from outside the state by folks who have an agenda of loathing of anything Florida.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11082 on: August 24, 2021, 04:19:41 PM »
What DeSantis also has done, in the finest big-government, appeal-to-the-base way, is undermine the efforts of private businesses that want to protect their employees and customers from a deadly, highly contagious virus - one that is killing Floridians and filling ICU beds.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11083 on: August 24, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »
Yeah, "I want you to get vaccinated, but I don't want you to be punished if you don't actually get vaccinated," isn't really a pro-vaccination stance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11084 on: August 24, 2021, 04:42:39 PM »
Brother Pakuni:

You make me sound like a reactionary conservative. I'm really not, as much as a pragmatist. It's not like personal ethics, where absolute moral values clash with situationalism. Here, I'm declaring this a Dr. Beach-free zone!

This isn't either an ethical or moral issue: It's common sense and therefore I'm less worried about the precedent.

You're right, Your risk!

Don't be stupid!

P.S. -- I watch American Greed and see way too much of the fraud for which you address. While I want the perpetrators arrested, there is a part of me that says, "my God, how can someone be so stupid!" My morality says, "you don't steal from the stupid," but you gotta wonder sometimes whether the story is really the story!

This seems like a 180 from your OP today where you said you didn't want the government telling you what to do.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 04:47:25 PM by jesmu84 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11085 on: August 24, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »
This is a 180 from your OP today where you said you didn't want the government telling you what to do or going to extreme measures to contain the virus.

Afraid not, dude. I don't want our government taking preemptive actions against a vaccinated population. I'm rather suggesting you have a choice, but there are consequences of your actions.

I have no problem with the government NOT DOING ANYTHING on either the Covid-19 control restrictions for the stupidly unvaccinated or forcing the vaccination on stupid people. In the case of airlines, for example, let the carriers decide whether or not to carry the unvaccinated or under what conditions. Let the insurance companies decide whether to cover Covid-19 patients who are not vaccinated (you know they won't). Let Publix decide whether to admit the unvaccinated to their stores. Free commercial enterprises from the lawsuits that inevitably will come because you discriminate against idiots.

Frankly, I'm not sure I care because I'm vaccinated and I'm all in on the booster shot. My family all is vaccinated and most of my friends are.

Be stupid if it's your flavor de jour. But don't penalize the smart because the stupid are stupid.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11086 on: August 24, 2021, 04:56:11 PM »
The only thing I could find on NBC's website said 1000 likely voters, 600 non-landline.  No other sampling or other demographic info.

Shaker of salt, hey?

IOW, mostly BS that morphs into “science” if it fits a particular narrative.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11087 on: August 24, 2021, 05:15:58 PM »
Brother Lens:

Don't know if you live in Florida or not. I do, a good hunk of the year. I actually have heard my Governor advocate for vaccinations. He was a leader in setting the allocation process for "seniors First," because that segment of our population, which is significant (just watch all the errant blinkers on any Florida highway, if you don't believe me), also is the most vulnerable to the disease. You didn't see a whole lot of people under 70 dying in Florida, unless they had underlying conditions.

DeSantis made sure the seniors and folks with underlying medical conditions were 1 and 1A in the line for vaccine. And yes, he pushed it to our citizenry.

He was on television earlier this year (I live in the Palm Beach television market) regularly pushing the vaccine.

I'll admit, I'm not sure Charlie Crist or Nikki Fried (the two Democrats likely to run for governor against DeSantis) would have done any different, other than to shut the state down a la Illinois or New York. But to suggest DeSantis didn't advocate vaccination is wrong. It's something that's coming from outside the state by folks who have an agenda of loathing of anything Florida.

Thanks for the on the ground intel.  I have never seen him advocate for vaccines but I only spent two week in FLA this year. 

What I do know is he has very famously battled against private enterprise that has wanted to require vaccines.  Telling U.S. businesses how they should operate seems to be the biggest Un-Republican, non conservative way of governing possible.  And IMO it sends a message that you're anti vaccince.  I really don't care that he made the elderly a priority...everyone did.  That was a lay-up.  I just find it incredible that a Republican Governor is fighting with cruise ship operators.  I thought we were the party of Business?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11088 on: August 24, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »
DeSantis won’t even say if he’s been vaccinated. And by telling people, it’s their choice isn’t exactly advocating for the vaccine. He does tout his cure daily, which is essentially telling people that they don’t have to get vaccinated as they can get treated if needed.
And a $2000 treatment over a $30 shot isn’t very fiscally responsible.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11089 on: August 24, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »
I don't know, rocket said I was "Adolph" for advocating pretty much these exact same restrictions and that they were just like putting people in encampments and harvesting their organs.

So there is that to consider.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11090 on: August 24, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »
Afraid not, dude. I don't want our government taking preemptive actions against a vaccinated population. I'm rather suggesting you have a choice, but there are consequences of your actions.

I have no problem with the government NOT DOING ANYTHING on either the Covid-19 control restrictions for the stupidly unvaccinated or forcing the vaccination on stupid people. In the case of airlines, for example, let the carriers decide whether or not to carry the unvaccinated or under what conditions. Let the insurance companies decide whether to cover Covid-19 patients who are not vaccinated (you know they won't). Let Publix decide whether to admit the unvaccinated to their stores. Free commercial enterprises from the lawsuits that inevitably will come because you discriminate against idiots.

Frankly, I'm not sure I care because I'm vaccinated and I'm all in on the booster shot. My family all is vaccinated and most of my friends are.

Be stupid if it's your flavor de jour. But don't penalize the smart because the stupid are stupid.

Thanks for the explanation.

We appear to be on the same page.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11091 on: August 24, 2021, 05:57:58 PM »
IOW, mostly BS that morphs into “science” if it fits a particular narrative.

Hardly a coincidence that it was posted by Smith and jockitch within minutes, aina?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11092 on: August 24, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
back to mask mandates, even outdoors, in Oregon.  >:(
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11093 on: August 24, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »

So much for following the science.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #11094 on: August 24, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »

The least of their problems.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #11095 on: August 24, 2021, 06:59:54 PM »
All dis chit iz politics, aina?

"Everyone has a right to make their own decisions regarding their health & their body...until your decision as to yourself impacts negatively many others.“

—Jerry Jones

This isn’t that hard. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11096 on: August 24, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
Hardly a coincidence that it was posted by Smith and jockitch within minutes, aina?
Other than the fact that no one called it science. But sure, you can knock down that strawman all you'd like.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11097 on: August 24, 2021, 07:15:50 PM »

That seems dumb.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11098 on: August 24, 2021, 07:21:52 PM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11099 on: August 24, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »
Other than the fact that no one called it science. But sure, you can knock down that strawman all you'd like.

It's all Ziggy's got. If there isn't a rocket brain post to agree with, he is pretty lost.

feedback