collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129871 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3275 on: April 05, 2020, 09:28:32 PM »
Wow. So 660,000 people tested in 28 minutes. Now, that’s big time progress.

and 1 tiger tested as well!!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3276 on: April 05, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
and 1 tiger tested as well!!

Be accurate. You have no idea how many tigers they tested. One positive. They could have tested thousands of tigers.  ;D

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3277 on: April 05, 2020, 09:36:22 PM »
Be accurate. You have no idea how many tigers they tested. One positive. They could have tested thousands of tigers.  ;D

sorry you are probably right.  especially if they hit the Tiger Kings zoo

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3278 on: April 05, 2020, 09:45:05 PM »
sorry you are probably right.  especially if they hit the Tiger Kings zoo

That truly made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3279 on: April 05, 2020, 10:29:46 PM »
I do enjoy the amount that warriordad posts when chicos is banned

I'm still waiting for my 200 dollars

He really tried hard to keep the charade going, but this is who he is.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3280 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:57 PM »
You can enroll anytime you have a life changing event. Such as losing your job, getting a new job. I did that last year.

You are 100% correct. The problem is that most people don’t know about it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3281 on: April 05, 2020, 10:37:47 PM »
Widespread reliable testing. That is going to be a requirement to get back to any sense of normalcy. We need to be able to test everyone. We have tested about 0.3% of the population so far.

Liar. Liar.  ;)

It’s closer to .4%. But the other 99.6% can get the test any time they want it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3282 on: April 05, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »

I agree it’s testing, contact tracing and antibody blood testing.  Duh I guess. Where is our government on all these items?????

I don’t mean to be flip or dismissive, but it’s not that hard to figure out the path forward.  Doing it seems to be elusive.

Dunno where the government is on any of these, but Mayo Clinic is rolling out its antibody testing tomorrow.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/04/01/mayo-clinic-expects-covid19-antibody-test-to-be-ready-monday

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3283 on: April 06, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
I wish I could have a good deep dish pizza. Here in Charlotte, it's mostly a pizza wasteland, and certainly devoid of deep dish pizza.

I gave myself a 4-day timeout from this thread. I returned last night to see multiple ultra-partisan, hate-filled, screaming rants by one Scooper -- worse posts than anything I had seen from Scoopers on either side of the aisle in a long, long time.

I agree with you that we should discuss the topic at hand. Here in NC, it's just getting exponentially worse and worse. Every day, more sickness and death than the day before.

It's also getting worse in our neighboring state, Georgia, but the governor there just signed an executive order RE-opening the state's beaches. He did so against the wishes of the mayors of several beach-side towns. This is the same guy who didn't know until a few days ago that asymptomatic people could transmit COVID-19. Ignorance is bliss ... as long as you don't mind people dying.

Deep Dish Pizza???!!! 
MU82, you are forgetting your roots!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3284 on: April 06, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
Deep Dish Pizza???!!! 
MU82, you are forgetting your roots!

Not ashamed to admit that Pequod's deep dish is my favorite pizza of all-time ... but I still like a nice New Haven-style too, sir!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3285 on: April 06, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »
Not ashamed to admit that Pequod's deep dish is my favorite pizza of all-time ... but I still like a nice New Haven-style too, sir!

Did you ever pop up to the original in Morton Grove? I've always been curious how it compares to the one in the city.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3286 on: April 06, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
Did you ever pop up to the original in Morton Grove? I've always been curious how it compares to the one in the city.

Ate there once a few years ago, and it was superb, just like the Lincoln Park restaurant. We lived only a couple miles from LP, though, so that's where we went. The last couple of times we had delivery it was a disaster -- took nearly 2 hours. So from now on, we won't get it unless we can dine in. It's fresher that way, anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3287 on: April 06, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
How the unnatural carnal knowledge does a tiger get tested? What are we even doing?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3288 on: April 06, 2020, 09:31:08 AM »
Sweden stopped a hydroxychloroquine trial due to significant side effects.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3289 on: April 06, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
Fake News.
Despite the urging of many, including the insurance industry, and his own promise to do so, the president last week reneged and decided not to offer a special Obamacare enrollment for those who now need it.
This means that those who don't already have the coverage are excluded until next year.

Unless they lose their job, have a kid, get married, etc.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3290 on: April 06, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »

Looooooove Pequod's

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3291 on: April 06, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »

Food is the same. Ambiance is night and day. Lincoln Park location is a busy, bustling sports bar atmosphere.

Morton grove is a sleepy little location. I'm sure it gets busy, but it is much smaller, not nearly as loud or as many TVs

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3292 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
How the unnatural carnal knowledge does a tiger get tested? What are we even doing?

He wanted one. Anyone that wants one can get one.  ;D

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3293 on: April 06, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »

Honestly from what I can tell, it was because he was coughing and lived in New York (I crap you not).

It seems frivolous, but there are probably a lot of good reasons to test if there was any kind of chance it would come back positive.  Animal welfare at zoos is on that list, yes, but so is buildling a knowledge base of interspecies spread and potential hazards of spreading across species with domestic animals and household pets.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3294 on: April 06, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
Sweden stopped a hydroxychloroquine trial due to significant side effects.

Not terribly surprising...but do you have a link, or do you know what the side effects were? I did a google search and couldn't find anything....

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3295 on: April 06, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
Honestly from what I can tell, it was because he was coughing and lived in New York (I crap you not).

It seems frivolous, but there are probably a lot of good reasons to test if there was any kind of chance it would come back positive.  Animal welfare at zoos is on that list, yes, but so is buildling a knowledge base of interspecies spread and potential hazards of spreading across species with domestic animals and household pets.

And his main handler tested positive.  So yes it seems legit it was not one of Joe Exotic's tigers and may prove to help control things down the road

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3296 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »

It was multiple felines all with COVID like symptoms.

It is a big deal.

There is emerging discussion/evidence that COVID has been in humans form months, maybe a year or more. Where it has mutated slowly from a poorly communicative (in humans) disease to be more infectious and dangerous.

Part of that process might be multiple passages between animals and humans. They know that the version circulating in humans has mutations compared to those in bats/pangolins that make it more infectious in humans. We just don't know what reservoir this was circulating in before those mutations occurred.

Won't be surprised if we see China seize on this type of news, as it could mean it didn't start there, but simply the final mutated versions erupted there.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3297 on: April 06, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »

From the Bronx Zoo FB page:

From Dr. Paul Calle, Bronx Zoo chief veterinarian; "The COVID-19 testing that was performed on our Malayan tiger Nadia was performed in a veterinary school laboratory and is not the same test as is used for people. You cannot send human samples to the veterinary laboratory, and you cannot send animal tests to the human laboratories, so there is no competition for testing between these very different situations."

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3298 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:36 AM »

Not terribly surprising...but do you have a link, or do you know what the side effects were? I did a google search and couldn't find anything....

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/carl-40-fick-kramp-och-syn-problem-av-coronamedicin/

How's your Swedish?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3299 on: April 06, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
From the Bronx Zoo FB page:

From Dr. Paul Calle, Bronx Zoo chief veterinarian; "The COVID-19 testing that was performed on our Malayan tiger Nadia was performed in a veterinary school laboratory and is not the same test as is used for people. You cannot send human samples to the veterinary laboratory, and you cannot send animal tests to the human laboratories, so there is no competition for testing between these very different situations."

Yes. I know the lab that ran these tests. The tigers were not taking tests away from people. This is what these labs do in cooperation with veterinary doctors.