collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128937 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1125 on: March 15, 2020, 01:06:13 AM »
But that isn't what I said at all.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your reference then.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: March 15, 2020, 03:03:03 AM »
The leader of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte canceled most Masses late Saturday after Gov. Roy Cooper banned gatherings of 100 people or more.

Bishop Peter Jugis canceled Masses at all churches with a seating capacity of at least 100 until further notice. The diocese spans 46 counties.

Churches that seat 100 or fewer may continue offering Mass.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241205576.html?

As long as this virus doesn’t spread “quicker than 11:00am mass at a Seaside resort” we will all be OK.

- Hologram AL
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1127 on: March 15, 2020, 07:28:51 AM »
Interesting theory that is starting to emerge, and I'll preface this by saying it may all be hokum and hopes, but it does make some sense to me based on what we're seeing and not seeing.

The virus emerged in Wuhan in November, given home much travel goes on between the US and Wuhan its possible that Coronavirus hit the US earlier than we think. This school of thought hits the much harder flu season this year, worst it's been in 20 years. It may be a coincidence but perhaps this started in December in the US and we are seeing round 2 not round 1.

Again, maybe it's nothing. Better for us to be safe than sorry I guess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #1128 on: March 15, 2020, 07:34:14 AM »
Interesting theory that is starting to emerge, and I'll preface this by saying it may all be hokum and hopes, but it does make some sense to me based on what we're seeing and not seeing.

The virus emerged in Wuhan in November, given home much travel goes on between the US and Wuhan its possible that Coronavirus hit the US earlier than we think. This school of thought hits the much harder flu season this year, worst it's been in 20 years. It may be a coincidence but perhaps this started in December in the US and we are seeing round 2 not round 1.

My wife and I saw this story way back in early to mid January and we came to the same conclusion back then.
This has been in the US for up to 8 weeks now.  Almost impossible not to be...

China hid it... China also had a time when they didn't know it was going on and people were moving about the countries.

Why are the death in total numbers so low especially when you consider a good majority came from the Senior Center in Washington?

Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1129 on: March 15, 2020, 07:42:41 AM »

So the theory is that the severity of the flu season really wasn't the flu?  I have two questions about that theory.

Are there a lot of incidences of people getting "the flu," even though they received the vaccine?  How does this account for what is occurring in Italy and Spain right now?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1130 on: March 15, 2020, 07:42:57 AM »
news channels are coronavirus non stop 24/7-now this is ridiculous!!  so nothing else is going on in the world...nothing...i swear if there was an earthquake or a plane crash they would probably carry it as a scroll along bottom of the screen.  they have "expert" after "expert" all the same stuff, over and over and over.  if for some reason, something remotely new happens regarding the virus, they all rush over to that and pound pound pound, then back to the same old video of empty shelves, store fights, lines out the door...

don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1131 on: March 15, 2020, 07:59:10 AM »

So the theory is that the severity of the flu season really wasn't the flu?  I have two questions about that theory.

Are there a lot of incidences of people getting "the flu," even though they received the vaccine?  How does this account for what is occurring in Italy and Spain right now?

Lots of people get the flu after getting the vaccine as the vaccine is a mix strains of flu and if the strain(s) that emerge are different the vaccine is less effective.

As to Italy and Spain, they maybe seeing round 1 that we potentially saw already. The last 2 months the hospitals have been close to capacity with "regular flu" already. In theory Covid could have gone China-US-Europe instead of the other way around.

Again not saying its true and I'm sure there is an irrational hope component to it, but its plausible given how little we know about it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: March 15, 2020, 08:08:33 AM »
news channels are coronavirus non stop 24/7-now this is ridiculous!!  so nothing else is going on in the world...nothing...i swear if there was an earthquake or a plane crash they would probably carry it as a scroll along bottom of the screen.  they have "expert" after "expert" all the same stuff, over and over and over.  if for some reason, something remotely new happens regarding the virus, they all rush over to that and pound pound pound, then back to the same old video of empty shelves, store fights, lines out the door...

Don't you think this is understandable?  What else should they talk about?

And you can watch something else you know.  Or turn off the TV and read a book.  Watch a movie.

I cut the 24 hour news channels out of my life years ago, and my life is better for it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1133 on: March 15, 2020, 08:10:36 AM »

Don't you think this is understandable?  What else should they talk about?

And you can watch something else you know.  Or turn off the TV and read a book.  Watch a movie.

I cut the 24 hour news channels out of my life years ago, and my life is better for it.

Amen

WarriorDad

• All American
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: March 15, 2020, 08:46:27 AM »

Wouldn't people be testing negative for the flu if this were the case, though? Or is there a way that standard flu tests would come back positive if someone actually had the coronavirus?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: March 15, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »

We are all worse off from the invention of the 24 hour news cycle. I don't think I've come across anyone who has positive views of that concept or the current products available.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: March 15, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »
Wouldn't people be testing negative for the flu if this were the case, though? Or is there a way that standard flu tests would come back positive if someone actually had the coronavirus?

This is the winner. All hospitalizations for the flu are going to have a corresponding flu test. If there were a lot of hospitalizations and deaths occurring with flu-like symptoms and flu-tests negative, the CDC would be notified and would be on the case.

That is what led China to eventually find this. Clusters of aggressive flu-like cases that test negative for the flu. Honestly, China figured this one out pretty quick. It took much much longer to figure out the bird flu.

Now we probably did have more missed cases of COVID-19 in mid-late January, but not earlier.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: March 15, 2020, 08:54:42 AM »
The regular flu does not cause a dramatic shortness of breath like the Coronavirus does.

Unless these Americans had the flu + shortness of breath, I would chalk up any perceived increase in November and December's flu severity to "regular" flu.

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »
Look I love basketball as much as the next guy, but seriously people.  Find something else to do.  Yesterday after hitting the store, I took the dog for a walk, cleaned up my landscaping, watched a couple Youtube videos, took a nap, broke my "social distancing" regulations by getting a growler at my friend's microbrew and cooked dinner before I ever turned on the TV,

Watched a couple hours of ESPN's basketball love story, some BBC animal show, and went to bed.

• All American

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: March 15, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
Fluff

Sound advice. Hope you and everyone on scoop are safe and sound.

Hards Alumni

• All American

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: March 15, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
Mother, should I trust the government?

You should be able to in times like this.  But you are right.  It has proven to be untrustworthy. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: March 15, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
My son started displaying symptoms tonight, so I took him to get tested.  A parent of one of his daycare classmates tested positive today.  Besides the testing area looking like a scene from outbreak, it was pretty fast and we were the only ones there for the 45 min it took. 

We're on self quarantine til our results come back, but stay safe out there.  I think it takes a case of it hitting home (our actual home) to shed some true light on the situation.

The Dr. basically said kids will be fine, they just are spreading it due to a lack of signs.  My boy is sleepy now, but was happy and playing all day.

He said my age group basically will get flu like symptoms and to not stress out about it unless there's severe shortness of breath (only being able to speak in one word increments was his sign to worry)

Lastly, he said 65+ is prayed on by the disease.  So anybody on here in that category should do their damndest to stay home and in self quarantine as much as humanly possible. 

Cheers everyone.  Any prayers would be appreciated, and we're going to take this one day at a time.  I will keep you all posted if you'd care for a separate superbar thread.

Wishing you and your family the best.

Out of curiosity, where did you get tested. The few people I know of with bonafide COVID-19 symptoms that have went to the doctors, have been unable to get tested.

Was this in the US?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: March 15, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
My son started displaying symptoms tonight, so I took him to get tested.  A parent of one of his daycare classmates tested positive today.  Besides the testing area looking like a scene from outbreak, it was pretty fast and we were the only ones there for the 45 min it took. 

We're on self quarantine til our results come back, but stay safe out there.  I think it takes a case of it hitting home (our actual home) to shed some true light on the situation.

The Dr. basically said kids will be fine, they just are spreading it due to a lack of signs.  My boy is sleepy now, but was happy and playing all day.

He said my age group basically will get flu like symptoms and to not stress out about it unless there's severe shortness of breath (only being able to speak in one word increments was his sign to worry)

Lastly, he said 65+ is prayed on by the disease.  So anybody on here in that category should do their damndest to stay home and in self quarantine as much as humanly possible. 

Cheers everyone.  Any prayers would be appreciated, and we're going to take this one day at a time.  I will keep you all posted if you'd care for a separate superbar thread.

Indeed. 

On a related note, once Tom Hanks got the disease, I think a light switched on for most Americans; they could put a face to the virus.  I would bet any money that Hoiberg being sick on the sideline was a stark enough image that it was the catalyst that led the conferences to cancel their tournaments.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: March 15, 2020, 09:42:43 AM »
Unpopular opinion.

Looking at the numbers coming out of Europe, the US should proactively lock it all down.  Wait our two weeks, and take our medicine.  The longer we deny this, the more people become carelessly infected, and we will end up in a lockdown anyway.  Do it, get it over with, save some lives.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:52 AM »
Wishing you and your family the best.

Out of curiosity, where did you get tested. The few people I know of with bonafide COVID-19 symptoms that have went to the doctors, have been unable to get tested.

Was this in the US?

A friend of mine (Boston) almost certainly has it.  Isn't sure where to go/what to do so has tried to stay home.  The most salient feature is shortness of breath. 

The degrees of separation are becoming fewer and fewer.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1148 on: March 15, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
Unpopular opinion.

Looking at the numbers coming out of Europe, the US should proactively lock it all down.  Wait our two weeks, and take our medicine.  The longer we deny this, the more people become carelessly infected, and we will end up in a lockdown anyway.  Do it, get it over with, save some lives.

I agree. It's only a matter of time, but the sooner we shut things down, the easier it will be in the long run. That said, I still think there should be exceptions for grocery shopping (w/ limits) and other limited travel.

FWIW - the MN governor is holding a press conference at 10am to "discuss plans for Minnesota schools." My wife works for the Rochester Public Schools, and is anticipating a long spring break.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:50:53 AM by GooooMarquette »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: March 15, 2020, 09:49:51 AM »

I agree. It's only a matter of time, but the sooner we shut things down, the easier it will be in the long run.

FWIW - the MN governor is holding a press conference at 10am to "discuss plans for Minnesota schools." My wife works for the Rochester Public Schools, and is anticipating a long spring break.

Fauci is on Face the Nation right now, and says testing is still several days to a week away.  And if its that long, things will be much much worse.  I trust that he is doing the right thing because he has a ton of knowledge, and doesn't BS... but a week?  Woof.

feedback