[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168734 times)

brandx

Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #525 on: July 14, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
That follows a twenty year trend for mlb ratings as a whole.     With 162 games a year broadcast on television, there is no juice in most mlb games.    Ball games are still good social events so attendance is still solid but tv ratings are not impressive.

Baseball was/is my first love in sports, but I seldom watch exhibitions. On a nice 80+ degree night, I'd rather go see a minor league game.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #526 on: July 15, 2016, 06:56:57 AM »
LOL, today Daryl Strawberry admitted he used to have sex with women between innings, he would point out a woman to the batboy and have him fetch her. He also allowed that he and Dwight Gooden might have had a threesome with a woman.

Sounds like an All-Star performance for sure, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #528 on: July 18, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »
Twins fired Terry Ryan today.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #529 on: July 18, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
Sox should hire him

🏀

• All American
« Reply #530 on: July 18, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Take all the draft picks!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #531 on: July 18, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #532 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:55 PM »
Was catching up on news on Twitter, saw tweet of Sale's 8 IP, 1 H, 0 R...very next tweet in my feed, Final: Mariners 4, Sox 3.

It's so White Sox.

brandx

« Reply #533 on: July 19, 2016, 12:03:37 AM »
Was catching up on news on Twitter, saw tweet of Sale's 8 IP, 1 H, 0 R...very next tweet in my feed, Final: Mariners 4, Sox 3.

It's so White Sox.

I don't get it. He is at 100 pitches - why make a change?

In Cleveland, Kluber goes 7 shutout innings with 85 pitches and he is pulled. Boom! 7 runs in a flash.

I understand pitch counts  - it's not like Koufax throwing 200+ pitches in a start and then being brought out of the pen for 3 innings on 1 day rest - but sometimes it just gets ridiculous.

Maybe instead of trying to save their arms by pulling them when they are pitching great and under 100 pitches, the time to give them a break is when they have given up 3 or 4 runs in five innings and are at 75 pitches. In other words, give them a rest when they are throwing bad rather than when they are throwing great.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #534 on: July 19, 2016, 12:39:14 AM »

It's so White Sox.

Robertson is terrible.  Seems afraid to attack and throw strikes.  I'd trade him.  They are better off with Jones closing. 

Sale was fantastic.   He deserved number 15.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »

In Cleveland, Kluber goes 7 shutout innings with 85 pitches and he is pulled. Boom! 7 runs in a flash.

I understand pitch counts  - it's not like Koufax throwing 200+ pitches in a start and then being brought out of the pen for 3 innings on 1 day rest - but sometimes it just gets ridiculous.

Maybe instead of trying to save their arms by pulling them when they are pitching great and under 100 pitches, the time to give them a break is when they have given up 3 or 4 runs in five innings and are at 75 pitches. In other words, give them a rest when they are throwing bad rather than when they are throwing great.

Agree 100%

brandx

« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
Agree 100%

And I didn't even mention the fact that Sale had thrown 9 pitches in the previous 10 days and Kluber just 14 pitches in the previous 10 days. They were both fully rested - no reason to pull them early when they ere pitching great.

Simply a case of two managers costing their teams a win.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »
And I didn't even mention the fact that Sale had thrown 9 pitches in the previous 10 days and Kluber just 14 pitches in the previous 10 days. They were both fully rested - no reason to pull them early when they ere pitching great.

Simply a case of two managers costing their teams a win.

I would say it looked like Sale was wilting a bit.  He had 3 walks in the game, and 2 of them were in the 8th inning.  His control was getting looser.  After pounding the zone all night, he was losing his stuff a bit.  I'd say Sale at 50% is still better than just about anyone else they could bring in. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #538 on: July 19, 2016, 03:59:54 PM »
Sox fans, what do you think about selling?  They don't have much urgency, as most of their assets are still under contract beyond this year.  Of course, the sooner they sell the sooner they boost their farm system etc.  Personally I wouldn't trade guys like Sale and Q as it is quite counter productive and you just wouldn't get the value back.  Not sure this is the best time to trade someone like Frazier either.  He is still a very valuable player, though he is having a sub par season.   

If it were me in charge, there are 2 guys that I would really look to trade.  First is David Robertson.  He is a good reliever and a decent closer (last night not withstanding).  He is striking out about 11 batters per 9, and there are always teams looking to add a K-potential arm to their bull pen.  He is signed for 2 more years, so he isn't just a rental.  The big hurdle is his salary, as he is making 25 million over the next 2 years.

Another guy I would trade is Melky.  He is again, not a rental as he is signed for next season as well.  He is having a really nice season, as he is hitting just under .300 (.298) and has an OPS just under .800 (.792).  While he is not a great OFer, he is ok enough where he is not only available to DH.  He is a switch hitter that hits well from both sides of the plate.

I think that trading either or both of these guys is where the Sox should start.  Neither is a building block (as Sale, Q, Abreu and maybe Frazier) and neither is irreplaceable.  The Sox could make these moves now and still not completely tank.  Losing Melky would hurt, as he is playing quite well, but I think Jones could step in perfectly for Robertson, the question then becomes, can Fulmer cover that set up role (he may be even more valuable than a typical 8th inning guy as they seem to want to use him in multi-inning stints).  Not saying that would propel them to anything, but it is a way to restock without completely tearing it down. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #539 on: July 19, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »
Twins fired Terry Ryan today.

When I was a young reporter in Minnesota, I sometimes dealt with the young assistant media-relations director they had, a kid named Rob Antony.

Today, Antony is the Twins' GM.

Even though it took him 25 years, that's still a pretty impressive ascent. Good for him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #540 on: July 19, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
I would say it looked like Sale was wilting a bit.  He had 3 walks in the game, and 2 of them were in the 8th inning.  His control was getting looser.  After pounding the zone all night, he was losing his stuff a bit.  I'd say Sale at 50% is still better than just about anyone else they could bring in.

We agree here Chuckler. Now if it was the same situation with Gonzalez, I could agree with Ventura's move.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #541 on: July 19, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »
If I'm the Sox, everyone except Tim Anderson is for sale.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #542 on: July 19, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »

The majors now play high school baseball, especially when it comes to pitching. Only thing missing is the aluminum bat.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #543 on: July 19, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »
The majors now play high school baseball, especially when it comes to pitching. Only thing missing is the aluminum bat.

Ozzie Guillen is one of my heroes for letting four straight pitchers throw complete game wins in the 2005 ALCS. Every other manager in baseball would have made the knee-jerk move to the pen.

Hey ... I'm in a great mood tonight ... I'm about to brag just a teeny bit ...

A couple hours ago, I had my first career walk-off hit in softball. Line-drive, bases-loaded single to right-center to cap a 7-run rally in the bottom of the last. One of my coolest feelings as an "athlete" (with the emphasis on those quotation marks).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #544 on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »
Ozzie Guillen is one of my heroes for letting four straight pitchers throw complete game wins in the 2005 ALCS. Every other manager in baseball would have made the knee-jerk move to the pen.

A couple hours ago, I had my first career walk-off hit in softball. Line-drive, bases-loaded single to right-center to cap a 7-run rally in the bottom of the last. One of my coolest feelings as an "athlete" (with the emphasis on those quotation marks).

Way to come through in the clutch!   :D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #545 on: July 19, 2016, 11:30:19 PM »

Good feeling. Couple years ago kept my 16" softball team in the playoffs by hitting a game tying double with 2 outs. Hit that right field ball all day long.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #546 on: July 20, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »

Dis is watt floats yo boat? Here I thought you were gonna tell us 'bout da latest orgasmic escapades wit Mrs. LXXXII or such, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »

Dis is watt floats yo boat? Here I thought you were gonna tell us 'bout da latest orgasmic escapades wit Mrs. LXXXII or such, hey?

Walk-off hits are a rarity.

Why would I brag about something that happens with regularity?

I mean, I'm sure you don't need to tell us all about your escapades with Mrs. A'ina, a'ina?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #548 on: July 20, 2016, 09:13:13 AM »

I'm old enough to remember the golden age of starting pitching. 300 innings pitched was the standard by which you judged a starting pitcher.

Think about it. Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Ferguson Jenkins, Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Mickey Lolich or Bert Blyleven. You didn't relieve these guys because it was an assault on their manhood. Koufax was throwing 99 mile an hour bbs in the eighth inning. You crossed Gibson and you lived to regret it.

What were they doing different in those days?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #549 on: July 20, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
I'm old enough to remember the golden age of starting pitching. 300 innings pitched was the standard by which you judged a starting pitcher.

Think about it. Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Ferguson Jenkins, Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Mickey Lolich or Bert Blyleven. You didn't relieve these guys because it was an assault on their manhood. Koufax was throwing 99 mile an hour bbs in the eighth inning. You crossed Gibson and you lived to regret it.

What were they doing different in those days?

They weren't pitching 2-3 times per week, year-round beginning at age 10?

feedback