[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Congrats to Rick Majerus  (Read 7148 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Was It Just My Imagination...
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »
or did it look to you also that Crean hasn't been missing too many meals lately?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Congrats to Rick Majerus
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »
Big Sky--

Your opinion of my calling Thompson "nothing special" as a cheap shot is well taken. It's just my opinion that Thompson won't be the next Fazekas. Hell, he may not even be the next Greg Stiemsma (in terms of us moaning that we missed on him). MU fans will watch him be a fine player for a mid-level A-10 program. I don't see him transforming the team or anything of the like and, thus, why I think he won't be anything special.

Crean's love affair with guards scares me but I'd rather he take his chances with a special player like Shumpert or a deadeye skill kid like Kenyi then settle for a player simply because of his height. Of course, if TC landed that height this board would be no fun because Harrison, 4ever, and PRN would all spontaneously combust due to their synchronous orgasms upon hearing the news. Boo.

Thompson was good enough for Alabama, Notre Dame, Indiana, Iowa St, and many others. 

To call him a mid-major level player is misinformed.  Again, I post that Majerus got a nice player....what does that have to do with MU's team?  The fact is, Thompson is a good player and good recruits, the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 thought so.  SLU isn't exactly going to be a mid-level A10 program under Majerus.  lol.  No bias in your statement there.  Had Lisch not gotten hurt, they would been in the top 3 as they were last season. 

No need to hate because someone else got a good recruit.  Sheesh.  All I posted was good for Rick.  Have you seen Thompson playthis Spring so far?...I have, and Majerus will do a lot of good things with him.  His skill-set is very different from Fazekas, not that anyone compared him to a college All-American...nothing like comparing a high school junior to a college All-American...that's pretty fair. 

I have no idea how this all spun out of control. We are all entitled to our opinions. Mine differs from yours yet you seem intent to punish me for it and constantly bring up rankings and supposed offers (because no one other then the kid truly knows) as if to beat me into liking Thompson. I have no "hate" for SLU, Thompson, nor Majerus. I'm simply providing my thoughts.

You claim bias on my part yet seem to exempt yourself. If I recall correctly, you were very public about your knowledge of the Majerus/SLU negotiation process and your history makes it plainly obvious that you are a big fan of Majerus and perhaps even a true friend. That must certainly cloud this matter to the point in which you've taken up residence as the SLU defender and seem to be portraying a tad more of a shield then is necessary.

Finally, re-read my original explanation: never called Thompson a mid-major player (rather just that he is playing for a mid-level A-10 team which is exactly where SLU is right now) and I didn't compare the games of Fazekas and Thompson; I brought up Fazekas because he's been a rallying point around the program for bemoaning that he never came to Milwaukee and on the surface these two players do have similar tendencies but Thompson won't measure up to what Fazekas accomplished in college.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 08:53:22 PM »
Had to sort through all the semantics....the effort at dot connecting, and you doubting that the kid had the offers he had....that's funny...."supposed"....Lol.....lol some more.  Then you proceed to say you weren't comparing Fazekas and Thompson but then just did.  Still lol.  That's too much.   

Post of the year. 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »
This has got to be the most pathetic post ever from the guy who posts almost nothing but....it's from chico's if you had not guessed.

In response to my post that Majerus had accomplished more at Utah with a more difficult situation. 

Here it is....

"True, including a 29% graduation rate at Utah, NCAA violations, etc....he definitely accomplished more.   I'd love to hear the "extraoridinary difficult circumstances"....he was at the flagship school in the state of Utah which has huge built in advantages, a larger athletic budget, a football program, an easier conference, etc, etc.... "

Simply laughable  becuase this same guy will post ad nauseum about MU's strength of being a basketball only school, about the strength of being in the Big East, how big the MU basketball budget is, etc etc.  But now when Majerus's 10 straight NCAA's at Utah is mentioned as better than Crean's 4 NCAA's in 8 year at MU.  It is becuase he was in an "easier conference", etc.  Chico's was the conference USA not easier during the first 6 years?  Only Chico's would say it is easier to build a program at Utah than it is at MU.
Bottom line... strengths then become weaknesses if mention of Tom Crean possibly not being the greatest come up.  Chico's = Bill Clinton
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:37:21 AM by Harrison »

tonyreeder

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
C'mon Harrison.  Everyone knows Utah is a recruiting hotbed for basketball players.  The comparison of Majerus to Huggins was also a highlight.  I'm sure he'll sit down with his buddies Rick and Tom and set things straight.  Regarding 4everwarriors comment about not missing any meals.  I noticed the same thing.   The head shot they run in the Journal on occasion makes me laugh.  The chins are starting to multiply.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »
Had to sort through all the semantics....the effort at dot connecting, and you doubting that the kid had the offers he had....that's funny...."supposed"....Lol.....lol some more.  Then you proceed to say you weren't comparing Fazekas and Thompson but then just did.  Still lol.  That's too much.   

Post of the year. 

Again, I didn't compare the two players. All I wrote was they have similar tendencies and having watched him once this spring (which apparently makes you an expert) you would see that. A comparison would involve much more depth and breadth (and I'm sure you could provide it).

As for the offers thing the point of the matter is that no one other then the kid truly knows who has and who hasn't offered. I'm sure you're one of the MU fans who believes Mbakwe turned down Florida's offer to play in Milwaukee. Lot of doubt about that one. Lot of doubt about many other kids and their "offers" through the years.

You can knock me about semantics and derisively dismiss my posts but I did like that you sidestepped your friendship with Majerus and claimed I was the biased one. You've beaten me to a pulp with nonsense and I'll be sure to never question your dog-like loyalty to Majerus and his program because you'll bite back and bite back hard. Hopefully, he rewards that loyalty with a slice of pizza now and again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »
This has got to be the most pathetic post ever from the guy who posts almost nothing but....it's from chico's if you had not guessed.

In response to my post that Majerus had accomplished more at Utah with a more difficult situation. 

Here it is....

"True, including a 29% graduation rate at Utah, NCAA violations, etc....he definitely accomplished more.   I'd love to hear the "extraoridinary difficult circumstances"....he was at the flagship school in the state of Utah which has huge built in advantages, a larger athletic budget, a football program, an easier conference, etc, etc.... "

Simply laughable  becuase this same guy will post ad nauseum about MU's strength of being a basketball only school, about the strength of being in the Big East, how big the MU basketball budget is, etc etc.  But now when Majerus's 10 straight NCAA's at Utah is mentioned as better than Crean's 4 NCAA's in 8 year at MU.  It is becuase he was in an "easier conference", etc.  Chico's was the conference USA not easier during the first 6 years?  Only Chico's would say it is easier to build a program at Utah than it is at MU.
Bottom line... strengths then become weaknesses if mention of Tom Crean possibly not being the greatest come up.  Chico's = Bill Clinton

Nice try hairy.

You're mixing arguments again which you consistently do.  MU does have a strength of being a basketball only school if you play into that strength.  But it is also not a surprise that nearly every successful school in hoops in the country has a football program with only a few minor exceptions, MU, Villanova, Georgetown and Gonzaga being the most notable.  Bigger budgets, better facilities, more exposure because you're in the "sports news cycle" all the time, not just during basketball season. 

Secondly, Utah is in the west where there are fewer people and fewer schools to compete with.  Who is Utah competing with in the state for recruits?  BYU?  Who are they competing against in the region?  Colorado?  Wyoming?  Nevada?  MU has to deal with being in the middle of the Big Ten country, a successful program 90 miles to the west, a successful program to it's south, and a bevy of schools coming in for the same talent.  If positioned right, it can do great things.  But if you're Utah and you want a Utah kid...you get him.  You want a Colorado kid, you stand a great chance.  You want a Nevada kid, great chance.  If you're Marquette and you want a kid from Chicago or Wisconsin, then you're in for a dogfight.  Simple as that.  Sorry it was so hard for you to grasp this very easy concept.

Third, are you comparing Conference USA to Utah's conference? I hope not, that would show how little you know about college basketball which is proven over and over again when you open your mouth.  When MU was in CUSA,Conference USA  sent the same or MORE schools to the tournament then Utah's conference did in EVERY YEAR BUT ONE the two conferences played.  Yeah, CUSA is easier than the Big East, but still MUCH harder than what Utah had to deal with year in and year out.

37 CUSA bids to 25 for the Mtn / WAC

2005  CUSA 4 bids, Mtn West 2
2004  CUSA 6 bids, Mtn West 3
2003  CUSA 4 bids, Mtn West 3
2002  CUSA 3 bids, Mtn West 3
2001  CUSA 2 bids, Mtn West 1
2000  CUSA 4 bids, Mtn West 2
1999  CUSA 4 bids, WAC 3 (Utah then in the WAC)

1998  CUSA 3 bids, WAC 4
1997  CUSA 3 bids, WAC 2
1996  CUSA 4 bids, WAC 2

Fourth, nice of you to gloss over the graduate rates and NCAA violations Rick had at Utah.  Remind me again of the NCAA violations at MU under Crean....crickets chirping.  Remind me again of the poor graduation rates under Crean at MU....crickets chirping.  Are you a win at all costs kind of guy?  If so, pick another school because the current administration won't tolerate it nor should they.

And finally, the irony of ironies.  Majerus had his crack at MU....3 straight NIT appearances after inheriting a team that went to the NCAAs two previous years and 12 of the previous 13 years.  If Crean were to do that, he would be run out of town by you hairy.  Run out of town....that is if anyone gave a squirt of piss for what you have to say on the matter.  Do you think Crean goes to the NIT 3 straight years after inheriting a team that had gone to the NCAAs 12 of the previous 13 years?  Majerus had his shot and didn't do well.  Since then, he's done admirably but also while committing NCAA rules violations and having low graduation rates.  Crean inherited far, far less successful teams and talent, hasn't broken the rules, has high graduation rates and....ding dong...has had FAR FAR FAR more success at MU then Rick ever did as a head coach when he had his turn at MU.

And on that note, this is 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back dealing with you.

Have a wonderful day.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:33:51 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
Re Majerus violations - Buying cookies for his players, pizza for KVH after his father's passing.

Re Majerus Grad Rates - The old system punished schools with tranfers regardless of academic progress.  TC's rate would be 43% (4 year players, 7 of 16). 

Re Lack of Competition - There's a reason there are so few schools out by Utah, there are no human beings.  I'm staring at a DMA Map in my office right now, its a waste land out there.

Schrutebag - gawd love the Internet for making that word big.  Great episode last night.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tonyreeder

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »
You don't honestly believe it's harder to recruit in Milwaukee than in Utah. Fewer people also means fewer basketball players.  Not a lot of African Americans hanging out in Utah either.   The talent pools in the two regions aren't comparable. 

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »

Post of the year. 

Again, I didn't compare the two players. All I wrote was they have similar tendencies and having watched him once this spring (which apparently makes you an expert) you would see that. A comparison would involve much more depth and breadth (and I'm sure you could provide it).

As for the offers thing the point of the matter is that no one other then the kid truly knows who has and who hasn't offered. I'm sure you're one of the MU fans who believes Mbakwe turned down Florida's offer to play in Milwaukee. Lot of doubt about that one. Lot of doubt about many other kids and their "offers" through the years.

You can knock me about semantics and derisively dismiss my posts but I did like that you sidestepped your friendship with Majerus and claimed I was the biased one. You've beaten me to a pulp with nonsense and I'll be sure to never question your dog-like loyalty to Majerus and his program because you'll bite back and bite back hard. Hopefully, he rewards that loyalty with a slice of pizza now and again.

Is the kid himself and also his parents..good enough sources for who has and hasn't offered him scholarships?  All of them are on record as to who has offered.Again you have a facts problem.  I have seen him play several times this Springa nd several other times prior.  He isn't even the same player as a year ago.  I spend a lot of time at AAU events in Spring and Summer, and also see some kids during high school season.  Fazekas and Thompson do not have the same game.  You keep saying you aren't comparing them....but do it every time.  "All I am saying is they have the same tendencies"....that is comparing. 

You are reaching bad when you bring up Trevor Mbakwe.  I have not mentioned his name once.  And, I have not mentioned Thomspon's name in relation to MU once either.

I'm as objective as it gets.  Read some posts in this thread.  I am not objective because I mentioned that Thompson is a good recruit, and mentioned where else he had offers?  That's laughable. 

Majerus should have been more on top of the rules, as in adhering to them at Utah and I've said that in previous posts.  The graduation rates are a joke because of transfer rule then, kids who go on Mormon missions, and early NBA entries.  In reality, He led D-1 in Academic All-Americans and also had Rhodes scholars on his team.  He is a stickler for academics.  He did more than just buy Keith Van Horn a pizza when his dad died, or Utah would nothave gotten a scholarship subtracted for 3 years.  His intentions were well and good, ...didn't gain any competitive advantage...butrules are rules. 

You've repeatedly try to downplay the Thompson kid.  If he wasn't any good I'd say so.  But that isn't the case.  And some very good BCS basketball schools thought so too.  Then you repeatedly question whether or not he really had the offers, when itis on public record from him, his parents, and those schools.  Not tough info to find.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
You don't honestly believe it's harder to recruit in Milwaukee than in Utah. Fewer people also means fewer basketball players.  Not a lot of African Americans hanging out in Utah either.   The talent pools in the two regions aren't comparable. 

I didn't realize only good players are African American....who knew.  Did you take a look at the Utah rosters much when Rick was there?  Gonzaga's roster?  Etc....they seemed to do just fine regardless of what race made up the majority of their team.

Keith Van Horn.  Bogut.  Doleac.  Mitch Smith.  Tom Chambers (before Majerus).  Alex Johnsen.  And on and on.  BYU and Utah have always been "white" teams by and large, and have been successful.  Race doesn't mean you can't be a good team, come on Tony!

The advantage he has is the entire state wants to go there.  Just as the entire state wants to go to Wisconsin.  Smaller population states have that hugh advantage.  You're carried throughout the state on tv and radio and in every newspaper.  You're not fighting for scraps like MU, or Xavier, or Gonzaga, or DePaul.  Do you think that Springfield carries news on DePaul?  Hell no, but Chicago sure as hell does for the Illini.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:57:53 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

tonyreeder

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »
Wow, where did I say only good players are African Americans?  I would say if you look at the makeup of the NBA or college basketball that African Americans make up a very high percentage.   I'd say if you looked at the last several All American teams or top 100 high school players in the country that most likely African American make up a high % on the list.  Please don't twist my words to try and make me out to something I am not.   Oh my goodness sound off the alarms, African Americans dominate the game of basketball-there's a new one.  If there's not many African Americans in your state it may be hard to recruit them to your school.  You talk about how easy it is for Utah because all the in state kids will stay there where Marquette is fighting for the second tier kids in Chicago etc.    Well, generally the 25th ranked kid in Illinois is rated higher than the #1 kid in Utah.

feedback