Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Tubby Effect  (Read 4045 times)

muarmy81

• All American
The Tubby Effect
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »
I'm not sure how high we are or were on Luke Fabrizious' list but MN papers are reporting he's being pursued by Tubby Smith and MN.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press is also reporting that Tubby is getting or got an unofficial visit from Ralph Sampson's kid. (6' 11" junior from Duluth, GA)

I guess there's a new influence in the midwest that may make it a bit more competitive for us recruiting-wise.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:14:21 AM by muarmy81 »

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: The Tubby Effect
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »
I'm not sure how high we are or were on Luke Fabrizious' list but MN papers are reporting he's being pursued by Tubby Smith and MN.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press is also reporting that Tubby is getting or got an unofficial visit from Ralph Sampson's kid. (6' 11" junior from Duluth, GA)

I guess there's a new influence in the midwest that may make it a bit more competitive for us recruiting-wise.

Tubby's problem at UK was recruiting according to the fanbase and administration.

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:58:56 AM »
Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about the McCormick ice cream machine!

;D

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »
No big deal in my book.  those are the exact same type of recruits that got Tubby fired at UK.  Top 150 kids are OK for Minny, but got him fired at UK and will make you a mid-level team in the BE.  Should not effect Crean, he needs to aim higher.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »
No big deal in my book.  those are the exact same type of recruits that got Tubby fired at UK.  Top 150 kids are OK for Minny, but got him fired at UK and will make you a mid-level team in the BE.  Should not effect Crean, he needs to aim higher.

I agree he needs to aim higher, but does he? 

I think Crean would be thrilled if he got Fabrizious to commit to MU.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:02:40 PM »
I kind of figured that Tubby would put a tighter grip on guys in MN but this shows that he's at least drawing interest from guys out of state.  If it were just MN recruits I wouldn't worry because that seems to be where WI draws most of their "high" recruits and even though we got Mbawke most of our prime recruits come from Chicago and we're starting to get some pipelines established to the east coast.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
In recent years we have had more players form Minnesota than Chicago, not arguing which is a better source just that Minnesota has been a large part of our make-up.  In 05-06 we had 4 from the Gopher state.  Except for McSteal I don't think there will be any scholarship players from Chicago next year.

I would agree that year in year out Chicago would be a better source but it hasn't worked out that way recently.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »
In recent years we have had more players form Minnesota than Chicago, not arguing which is a better source just that Minnesota has been a large part of our make-up.  In 05-06 we had 4 from the Gopher state.  Except for McSteal I don't think there will be any scholarship players from Chicago next year.

I would agree that year in year out Chicago would be a better source but it hasn't worked out that way recently.

Easy oversight since he didn't play last year but McNeal's high school teammate Mo Acker is in the program.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
Forgot about little Mo.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about the McCormick ice cream machine!

;D

That was my screen name on Rivals.  I kinda miss that name, and the round girls that the machine produced.   8)

4everwarriors

• All American
No Problem
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 05:48:28 PM »
ZiggysFryBoy can produce round girls also. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 06:04:04 PM »

Tubby got fired at UK.....when did that happen?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »

Tubby wasn't getting a whole lot of Top 150 kids at UK, he was doing better than that, just look at the numbers. 

1998: 3 consensus top 60 players, including one McDonald's All American.
1999: 2 players in the top 5 recruits nationally, both were McD's All Americans and 1 other top 100 guy.
2000: 2 top 40 players.
2001: 1 top 20 McDonalds All American, and a top 40 player.
2002: 1 top 40 player, and a 2 time JUCO All American considered by some the #1 JUCO player in the country
2003: 1 top 50 player and 2 top 80-100 players
2004: 3 McDonalds All American top 15-20 players, and one top 80 player
2005: 1 top 100 player and another 2 time JUCO All American who was one of the top 2-3 JUCO players in the country.
2006: 3 top 60 players

Just because they didn't work out doesn't mean that he wasn't getting highly ranked recruits.  The idea that Tubby is a bad recruiter is totally overblown, in reality he's a much better recruiter than he gets credit for, and probably not as good of a game coach as people think he is.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
And he's a "name" people know Tubby more than they knew Monson just like people know Majerus more than they probably knew of Soderberg.  If nothing else he'll draw more attention for the next few years just because he's Tubby Smith, former Kentucky head coach.  When that luster wears off he'll have to utilize any recruiting skill he has to keep recruits interested and that would be done by being successful in MN. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
I kind of figured that Tubby would put a tighter grip on guys in MN but this shows that he's at least drawing interest from guys out of state.  If it were just MN recruits I wouldn't worry because that seems to be where WI draws most of their "high" recruits and even though we got Mbawke most of our prime recruits come from Chicago and we're starting to get some pipelines established to the east coast.

While MN does not have the volume of high recruits like the Chicago area has, it only has 1 D1 program in the state, so if Tubby could put a lock-down on that state and keep most of the talent, that program would be very tough year in and year out.

The closest D1 schools are Iowa and Madison, which are 4 hours away, so the UofM has a big backyard to work with and a home court advantage with most kids.

Look at it this way:
Get the top 2-3 kids from MN most/every year (usually 2-3 top 150 kids per year)
Get 1 good-very good talent from somewhere else most years (somebody in the top 100)
Fill in other spots with roles players from in-state or elsewhere

If Tubby can get a trend like that, they will be in the top half of the big ten every year, and probably challenging for a title once every few years.

The school has some good potential due to the geographics and population base.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 03:08:43 PM »
tubby got a verbal from nathan garth today...

feedback