collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Equalizer
[Today at 12:44:23 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brent Is Trying To Explain His Lousy Season At VT  (Read 4484 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Brent Is Trying To Explain His Lousy Season At VT
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
In case you were unsure Brent was actually interviewed, see the highlighted part.  Pure Brent ... not to be condescending or negative in any sort of way

Even with hopeful future, Williams doesn't want Hokies to forget discouraging past
April 16, 2015

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/virginia-tech/dp-spt-teel-column-buzz-offseason-20150416-column.html

Buzz Williams is an incurable thinker, assessing the past, charting the future, knowing full well how the circus we call life can wreck the most meticulous plans. But Virginia Tech's second-year basketball coach politely steers clear of the prevailing debate regarding the college game's health.

Paring the shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds? Directing referees to curb physical defenses? Widening the lane and/or cutting the incessant timeouts?

"I try to avoid conversations like that," Williams said last weekend during Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League event in Hampton, "just because … I don't want to spend my energy and emotion arguing or complaining about (a sport) that's changed my life. …
Not to be condescending or negative in any sort of way. …

"I'm just consumed with how can we get better and try to win more than two games."

Fair enough and, given the program's four consecutive last-place ACC finishes, perhaps appropriate.

The Hokies went 11-22 this past season, 2-16 in the ACC. They were overmatched by West Virginia, Notre Dame and twice by Miami, but in large measure distinguished themselves with resolve and performance beyond their talents.

The 50-47 loss to Virginia and 91-86 overtime setback to eventual national champion Duke, both at home, spring to mind.

"I think when you get to this time of year, no matter how (long) you've been at a place, you always think back over the past (season)," Williams said. "What did we do? What was good and what was bad? You go through all of your notes and think through certain situations. Some of it's specific, some of it big picture in nature.

"I think we've done an above-average job in defining what we want to be about, on and off the floor. Not for me but for the kids who were involved in building that, I wish we had won a few more games. I wish they could have been rewarded more."

Most who endured the defeats — seniors Will Johnston and Christian Beyer, plus transfer Adam Smith, the exceptions — are positioned for future rewards. That includes point guard Devin Wilson, forward Shane Henry, redshirted transfers Seth Allen (Maryland) and Zach LeDay (South Florida) and this season's five freshmen: Malik Muller, Justin Bibbs, Ahmed Hill, Jalen Hudson and Satchel Pierce.

But Williams insists that no one purge the memories.

"Sometimes when things don't go well, whether that's in basketball or life, you want to say, 'Well, we'll get it next time,'" he said. "I'm not that guy, so I'm very transparent with our team and our staff. 'I don't want you to forget it because you lived through it.'

"I'm not trying to be sadistic, but since we lived through it, let's make sure that we garner all the lessons that need to come from it, because if we don't, then we're foolish. And if our investment in year No. 1 is trending toward we're improving, then we have to make sure we absorb all the wisdom that comes from it."

At Marquette for six years and thus far at Virginia Tech, Williams has delighted in portraying himself and his teams as ultimate underdogs. That was far less true in Milwaukee, where he inherited a program that had been to three straight NCAA tournaments, than in Blacksburg.

Incoming freshmen Justin Robinson, Kerry Blackshear and Chris Clarke, the latter a forward from Cape Henry Collegiate in Virginia Beach, further upgrade a roster that Allen and LeDay alone ought to improve.

"Those five freshmen will be five sophomores, and those five freshmen played 52.6 percent of the minutes in ACC play," Williams said. "No league team was even approaching that. So you can look at that and go, 'Wow that's really good. You've got everybody coming back.' Or you can look at it and go, 'That's really bad, because you've got everybody coming back.'"

Williams' 52.6 percent stat is spot-on. Tech freshmen played 1,919 of 3,650 minutes in the 18 ACC regular-season games. But Duke's four freshmen — Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen — were right behind at 1,871 minutes, 51.3 percent.

Still, Williams' overarching point is well-taken. The Hokies will be far deeper and more experienced in 2015-16, even if he doesn't use the 13th scholarship at his disposal. Guard Brandon Sampson, a former St. John's commit from Baton Rouge, La., is among Tech's late targets.

"There weren't many playing time decisions that I had to make this past season," Williams said. "I do hope that at some point, if we're doing the right stuff, I hope that there are many more playing time decisions that have to be made per game. But we have to get to that point. We're not there yet. But hopefully we're going that way."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:40:29 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Brent Is Trying To Explain His Lousy Season At VT
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:28:35 AM »
so far, it doesn't appear that 2 of buzz's recruits while at MU are panning out-
       satchel paige and ahmed hill

in all fairness, not sure what hill's deal is-injury? or what
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Hill is out for the year with a knee injury.   Same melody, different lyrics. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »

Somebody should go over to the VT basketball forums and give them all of our Brent memes. It'd be a nice Christmas present.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
He refused to do a press conference yesterday after the loss.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
I watched the WVU/VT game yesterday, and Huggins' team is as bruising as ever.  They are a tough, physcial group to go 40 minutes against.  WVU went through several variants of press against the Hokies, getting a number of turnovers from it.  Each time Buzz would make an adjustment, Huggins would switch it up and VT would look out of place.  I wouldn't go as far to say that Buzz was outcoached by Huggy Bear - since the talent difference was noticeable - but VT looked completely outmatched for a majority of the game.  They got a big crowd though (came was at Cassell).

It will be very interesting to see if Buzz can turn VT into a tournament team during his tenure there.  It's just such a tall hill to climb being in the ACC - competing against Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, NC State, and Miami. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
He'll be fine.  Yes, tough league but that also means the potential for scalps.  If he can knock off one or two in the next two years, it gives him momentum.  Thing is, however, you can only go so far at a place like Va Tech, so the ceiling will be reached.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
Somebody should go over to the VT basketball forums and give them all of our Brent memes. It'd be a nice Christmas present.

I tried that already, but neither of the posters there found it amusing.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
I tried that already, but neither of the posters there found it amusing.

Now this was funny

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
Mark Berman wrote that Bert kept the press waiting for two hours after the game while he chewed the team's ass in the locker room. Berman commented that Bert's ass whooping lasted three times longer than the actual game did.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:31:58 PM by keefe »

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
I suppose you guys also creep on the Facebook pages of your old girlfriends hoping she got fat.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
Why, some get wood over fat chicks, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-virginia-tech-guard-ahmed-hill-out-indefinitely-after-surgery-to-repair-partially-torn-patella-tendo-20150811-post.html

August 11, 2015

Virginia Tech starting guard Ahmed Hill underwent surgery Tuesday afternoon to repair a partial tear to the patella tendon in his left leg.

Hill, a 6-foot-5 sophomore from Augusta, Ga., is out indefinitely and is expected to at least miss all of preseason conditioning. He suffered the injury earlier this month during individual workouts.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »
Why, some get wood over fat chicks, hey?

tons of fun-heyna?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »
Did Buzz take the walking boots with him when he left?

Clarke out for Hokies
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 12:02 am

http://www.bdtonline.com/sports/clarke-out-for-hokies/article_9345d860-aeb2-11e5-9871-2fabab0fa972.html

Virginia Tech forward Chris Clarke suffered a right foot injury over Christmas break and had surgery Tuesday, leaving his status for a return this season in limbo.

A freshman from Virginia Beach, Clarke sustained a fracture to the fifth metatarsal of his right foot while working out over Christmas break.

Clarke had played in 11 of the Hokies’ 12 games this season, starting 10 times. He is averaging 10.5 points and 7.4 rebounds per game and is tied for the team lead with 12 steals.

Virginia Tech (8-4) has already been without Ahmed Hill, who has yet to play this season after suffering a partially torn patella tendon in August, and Tyrone Outlaw, who is redshirting this season for an undisclosed medical condition.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »
Boot camp injurys rank right up der with tacklin' dummy chit, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
Did he ever sell his house in the Quon?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »

Yeah, he did at a significant discount.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 01:57:04 PM »

Any athlete or coach by it to put the court in use?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

i'm surprised-the house market in waukesha, washington and ozaukee county have been off the charts.  people getting into bidding wars, people selling their homes for above market values on a whim, homes selling within days of going on line...whoever bought it, got a great deal then

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »
With Coach K and Boeheim retiring, he can easily climb the ACC coaches ranks.
SS Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »
i'm surprised-the house market in waukesha, washington and ozaukee county have been off the charts.  people getting into bidding wars, people selling their homes for above market values on a whim, homes selling within days of going on line...whoever bought it, got a great deal then

That basketball court was a deal-breaker in terms of value. There are very few people who would be willing to pay for that.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »

Don't think so. He and I shared the same listin' broker. She'd probably tell me if I axed.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

Don't think so. He and I shared the same listin' broker. She'd probably tell me if I axed.

Losing your mind Doc?  You answered twice, with 2 difference answers.  Which is it?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
Yo, I got full control of both my mental and physical chit. Thankx for axin', doe. First time I fooked up this year. Second response shoulda been a reply to whether or not a playa or coach purchased the dude ranch with a basketball court in it, hey?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:36:15 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
Yo, I got full control of both my mental and physical chit. Thankx for axin', doe. First time I fooked up this year. Second response shoulda been a reply to whether or not a playa or coach purchased the dude ranch with a basketball court in it, hey?

Is this the dialect you use on your patient's charts?
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
Is this the dialect you use on your patient's charts?

How's this, hey?

After application of topical anesthetic, 3.6 ml of 2% lidocaine 1:100,00 epinephrine buffered with 8.4% sodium bicarbonate was used to anesthetize the patient's lower left quadrant. Two surface caries excavation was completed in the usual manner in both the lower left second premolar and lower left first molar. Glass ionomer base was placed in each excavation. Matrix bands were fitted and wedged. Acid etching was done with 30% phosphoric acid. Bonding agent was light cured. Posterior composite resin was placed and formed in each excavation. The restorations were incrementally light cured. Occlusion was adjusted and the restorations polished to a high luster finish. Contacts areas checked for proper resistance and contour. Patient approved esthetics of the restorations while looking in a mirror. He tolerated the procedures well with no complications. Patient advised not to eat while anesthetized and some temporary post operative thermal sensitivity is considered normal.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »

How's this, hey?

After application of topical anesthetic, 3.6 ml of 2% lidocaine 1:100,00 epinephrine buffered with 8.4% sodium bicarbonate was used to anesthetize the patient's lower left quadrant. Two surface caries excavation was completed in the usual manner in both the lower left second premolar and lower left first molar. Glass ionomer base was placed in each excavation. Matrix bands were fitted and wedged. Acid etching was done with 30% phosphoric acid. Bonding agent was light cured. Posterior composite resin was placed and formed in each excavation. The restorations were incrementally light cured. Occlusion was adjusted and the restorations polished to a high luster finish. Contacts areas checked for proper resistance and contour. Patient approved esthetics of the restorations while looking in a mirror. He tolerated the procedures well with no complications. Patient advised not to eat while anesthetized and some temporary post operative thermal sensitivity is considered normal.

Thought so.  Not sure why you feel the need to post using a combo of Ebonics and Yooper.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
The Internet is a diversion from reality, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »
The Internet is a diversion from reality, ai na?

For every 60 minutes of billables, 4never charges six bills for "Scoop Visualization".  Translation:  Administer the gas for 50 minutes while doing free Google porn searches.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 04:57:40 PM »
For every 60 minutes of billables, 4never charges six bills for "Scoop Visualization".  Translation:  Administer the gas for 50 minutes while doing free Google porn searches.

Let's just say I would never want to be left alone with him while I was under general anesthesia. 
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »

How's this, hey?

no way!  no disrespect warrior but that sounds more like a senior dental student's notes so he/she doesn't get their arse kicked by doc h (visual-6 inch stiletto high heels and tight form fitting high cut skirt )  actually, she was on fixed prosthetics floor catching glares from doc z, but you get the idear-heyna?  or did you have your lovely asst. write that?  or, the obvious-tort!!  if none of the above-very nicely done ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:14:05 PM by rocket surgeon »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »
Let's just say I would never want to be left alone with him while I was under general anesthesia.

Sleep well, Babe. Not happenin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 06:12:58 PM »
no way!  no disrespect warrior but that sounds more like a senior dental student's notes so he/she doesn't get their arse kicked by doc h (visual-6 inch stiletto high heels and tight form fitting high cut skirt )  actually, she was on fixed prosthetics floor catching glares from doc z, but you get the idear-heyna?  or did you have your lovely asst. write that?  or, the obvious-tort!!  if none of the above-very nicely done ;D

Thanks kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback