collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Packer playoff tickets for sale.  (Read 7606 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Packer playoff tickets for sale.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
I don't believe there's ever been a no-above-face value rule.

Lots of tickets are sold here above face, and that's appropriate for some games.  No problem having Scoop serve as a marketplace just like any other.  (As long as no fraudulent tickets are sold...)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
I don't believe there's ever been a no-above-face value rule.

Lots of tickets are sold here above face, and that's appropriate for some games.  No problem having Scoop serve as a marketplace just like any other.  (As long as no fraudulent tickets are sold...)

Well there goes that idea!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
Well there goes that idea!

I'm disappointed I cannot find a picture of the Simpsons' Super Bowl tickets printed on a cracker.

brandx

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
Does it rub anyone else the wrong way that someone would use Scoop for profit when Scoop is a service provided for free to us by our gracious mods?

Selling at face and/or trading is one thing. But outright scalping doesn't sit well with me.

I seldom disagree with your opinions, but I do here. There is pretty much always a premium paid by 3rd parties when acquiring tickets.

As long as he delivers the product he is pushing, I've got no problem.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 03:43:01 PM »
As someone who has extensive experience buying and selling tickets on various sites (including eBay, CL, StubHub, Ticket Xchange, etc.), let me offer a few bits of wisdom:

Craigslist --

1) Easily the most profitable from a seller's standpoint (because you don't incur fees) but also the most time-intensive.  Not only do you have to spend more time weeding through "offers" (see #2 below), but you also have to take the time to meet someone, somewhere, at a time when you're both available.  I've only had one no-show out of 15-20 total CL transactions, but I easily spend at least a couple hours and up to perhaps 4 or 5 in the aggregate on a CL transaction... which is fine if I have time, not so much when I have a busy schedule.

2) Sellers: if you get an "offer" that doesn't include a phone number, there's a 99% chance that it's not a bona fide "offer" at all.  Out of all the "offers" I've had to respond via email or CL, not a single one has transacted; most - if they even do respond - will wait a couple days and then say they are no longer interested or will offer a lower price... basically the opposite of what the OP is doing here (farming for a better offer).

3) Buyers: if you're serious about your offer (i.e. you're willing to commit to buy if the seller accepts your offer), put your phone number in the response.  And if the seller lists a phone number, don't email a response.

eBay:

1) Two words: Free Shipping.  I can't emphasize this enough and how much easier it is to sell tickets for $105 including shipping than $100 + $5 more for USPS Priority shipping.

2) Much more sophisticated than CL, which means the scammers are even scammier than CL.  Here's a little trick that someone tried to play on me once: sold my tickets on eBay about a week prior to the game, and the buyer paid via PayPal.  The money showed up in my PayPal account right away, but because it was over a certain dollar amount, PayPal puts a temporary hold on the payment (i.e. it can't be withdrawn) pending tracking info showing signature confirmation or positive feedback.  The buyer isn't at home to accept the delivery, so the envelope is held at the post office or UPS/FedEx pickup location where it sits for a couple days.  24 hours before the event, I get an email from the buyer asking to refund his money since he can't attend the game... if I agree, he will go and pick up the tickets five minutes after and overnight them back to me so that I can at least use them myself or try to sell them day-of-event.  Of course, I'm running the risk that he never sends the tickets back, and I'm out both the tickets and the money.

If I refuse, he never picks up the tickets, USPS automatically sends the tickets back to me after a certain number of days or attempts, PayPal sees the tracking information that shows "returned to sender" and refunds the money to him any way.  The buyer doesn't benefit in the this scenario, but I'm still out the cost of the tickets (not to mention, I don't even get to sell them to someone else or use them because the game is already over by the time I get the tickets back), and knowing this, the buyer uses the possibility of him being out nothing and me being out everything to leverage me into agreeing to "refund" his money (on the possibility that I might get the tickets back in time).

Fortunately, tickets have bar codes now, and if you're the original purchaser, it's not a big deal to have the tickets re-issued or re-printed (nullifying the originals) if you lose or misplace them.  But if you've bought the tickets from someone else, you may be S.O.L.  Not to mention that even with this safety net, you have less than 24 hours to resell your tickets or make arrangements to use them yourself.

StubHub/eXchange:

1) Easiest, most secure way to sell short of selling to a friend, family member or co-worker.
2) Fees will kill you.
3) Competition can leave you out in the cold.  You constantly have to monitor sales history and where other seats in your section are selling so that you're not priced too high, especially for NFL playoff games where prices can be highly volatile.  Sure, similar seats may have sold for $250 the day before you listed yours at $200, but 72 hours before kickoff, the going rate might be $150, and if you haven't adjusted your price, the only way you're selling is if the rest of the secondary market dries up first.
4) Also, something like 95% of StubHub buyers start by searching a section/price level or by price alone... if you're in a "middle-tier" price level (i.e. not the best seats in the house, but also not the cheapest available), despite the sentiment that demand will be high because you're seats are the biggest bang for the buck, they might not sell because people are searching on opposite ends of the spectrum, not in the middle.
5) Parking passes are very difficult to sell on StubHub, and I don't think you can sell them with your tickets (which was always a nice incentive to coax buyers into a higher price when I sold tickets on eBay or CL).

There's much more... but these are the highlights.  IMHO, I'm willing to deal with the cost of StubHub or eXchange and never deal with CL or eBay ever again.   I also don't buy parking in advance anymore.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
Good info, Benny. 

Why hasn't someone invented a .. flat-rate Stubhub service?   Sure, it wouldn't make huge money .. but there's a market for it, people would abandon Stubhub quickly.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
It never amazes me the dumb stuff people get butt hurt over on this site. Free market JD, go ahead, if there's an issue I'm sure the moderators are capable. I never realized it was a communal decision as to what someone can do with their own tickets, that's a new one.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 12:37:11 AM »
It never amazes me the dumb stuff people get butt hurt over on this site. Free market JD, go ahead, if there's an issue I'm sure the moderators are capable. I never realized it was a communal decision as to what someone can do with their own tickets, that's a new one.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »
so are the tickets still available and what is the current price?

feedback