collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Upon further review....  (Read 8006 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Upon further review....
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »
Frats still suck...so does the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Woman claims she was raped, sues UW fraternity
Madison house has been disciplined
By Marie Rohde of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: July 21, 2009

A 21-year-old woman who says she was drugged and sexually assaulted multiple times at a Madison fraternity house last fall has sued the local chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity, its parent organization and the alumni organization that owns the house for negligence.

Madison police continue to investigate the incident, according to a spokesman, but no arrests have been made.

The lawsuit asserts that the defendants had an obligation to make the house safe for invited guests and that it did not take reasonable safety precautions. The suit cites not only "multiple violations of orderly conduct, alcohol and other criminal violations" at the Madison house but also notes a variety of violations, including sexual assault, at more than a dozen chapter houses around the country.

The Milwaukee area woman, identified as Jane Doe in the suit, is seeking damages for the physical pain and emotional distress resulting from the assault.

"She's mortified and very upset about what happened," said her attorney, Robert Elliott. "She went to the hospital and reported it to police. Some months later, her friends contacted the press."

A student newspaper reported the incident in March, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison suspended the fraternity April 2 for unspecified alcohol-related violations.

The fraternity has appealed the discipline.

There are no pending investigations or disciplinary actions involving the fraternity and sexual assault allegations, according to Kevin Helmkamp, the university's associate dean of students who oversees student organizations.

Michael Dunn, executive director of the Sigma Chi International Fraternity, said the suspension means the fraternity can not engage in certain social affairs.

"It is still a valid student organization," Dunn said Monday from his office in Evanston, Ill. "There is a certain amount of public outrage over these allegations. Whether the chapter will participate in rush will be determined later."

According to the lawsuit:

The woman, then 20, went to a party at Sigma Chi on the afternoon of Oct. 4, 2008, as the guest of a member who lived there. They later went to a UW football game where they became separated before meeting up again later at a Madison bar. The pair and other students went to at least one other bar before returning to the fraternity house.

They went separate ways after entering the four-story house where as many as 80 people live, according to a sworn statement from the member. He said both he and the woman had been drinking for much of the day.

She contends that late that night or the next morning she was drugged unconscious, and awoke the next day in a room at the house partially clothed, bruised and bleeding.

She and a friend went to a hospital where a doctor determined she had been raped multiple times, according to Elliott. The hospital took DNA samples, according to Elliott.

Later that month, after another woman told her she had been raped at the same fraternity on a different date, the woman went to Madison police.

The man who invited the woman to the Oct. 4 party, who has since graduated and left the state, gave a DNA sample and was cleared as a suspect by police, his attorney said.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/51359447.html

LON

• All American
Re: Upon further review....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:25:34 AM »
How much do you think goes unreported?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
way too much probably goes unreported... anyways, i love it when two of my least favorite things (frats and UW) come together in the news to form one perfect sh*t storm.  i know this is going to turn into an anti frat thread, so might as well kick it off.  I hope these kids get the book thrown at them if they are guilty.  Frat guys think they are invincible in their own houses, or when in groups.  I love seeing them get knocked down a peg.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »
I'd rather sit at home and stick sharp things into the tip of my wiener then hang out with frat boys from UW.
Actually - the same goes for MU frat boys now that I think about it....
"Did you see how many beers That Guy in front of us drank at the game?"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
The lack of frats on campus in the 80's was one of my primary reasons for coming.   One small liberal arts university actually offered my a free ride but I refused because their entire social system was frat-based.   They were so sure you were going to enter a frat that as an incoming freshman male, you were only allowed to spend the first week in a dorm because it was assumed you would pledge a frat by the end of your first week.   No thanks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »
The lack of frats on campus in the 80's was one of my primary reasons for coming.   One small liberal arts university actually offered my a free ride but I refused because their entire social system was frat-based.   They were so sure you were going to enter a frat that as an incoming freshman male, you were only allowed to spend the first week in a dorm because it was assumed you would pledge a frat by the end of your first week.   No thanks.   

RIPON COLLEGE?

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »
RIPON COLLEGE?

Nope....HARDON COLLEGE

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Depauw in Greencastle, Indiana.   A town of 5000 whose primary industry seemed to be Depauw.   Not a good fit for me. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »
way too much probably goes unreported... anyways, i love it when two of my least favorite things (frats and UW) come together in the news to form one perfect sh*t storm.  i know this is going to turn into an anti frat thread, so might as well kick it off.  I hope these kids get the book thrown at them if they are guilty.  Frat guys think they are invincible in their own houses, or when in groups.  I love seeing them get knocked down a peg.

I don't care for fraternities either.

On paper, the idea of an national organization that provides charity work, increased community bonds, and strong friendships on college campuses everywhere sounds great. When executed properly, I'm sure they are good organizations.

However, in real life, if you put that many young males together in a group (and add alcohol), there tends to be a healthy dose of "group think" that occurs and things can turn south in a hurry.

With this said, I do have some friends from other schools who were heavily involved in frats, and they still turned out to be good guys. Not all frats are evil, I guess.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
on paper Bad Newz Kennels looked like a great place to board your dog... look how that turned out.

you can put on paper all you want, but these kids especially the marquette kids for some reason, get a feeling of entitlement.  it's sickening.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
Little known fact, but fraternities are the reason why the term "douchebag" was created.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »
frat guys think they are invincible in their own houses, or when in groups.  I love seeing them get knocked down a peg.

Ahh, you gotta love sweeping generalizations. Every fraternity has a different type of guy, and even different types of people in the chapter. Yeah, some of them think their "bond" extends to messing with other people and being dicks, thought I bet you can find groups of non frat guys who have been friends since the Square Dance who act exactly the same way.

My point is that there are a**holes everywhere, not just in fraternities.

I don't care for fraternities either.

On paper, the idea of an national organization that provides charity work, increased community bonds, and strong friendships on college campuses everywhere sounds great. When executed properly, I'm sure they are good organizations.

However, in real life, if you put that many young males together in a group (and add alcohol), there tends to be a healthy dose of "group think" that occurs and things can turn south in a hurry.

With this said, I do have some friends from other schools who were heavily involved in frats, and they still turned out to be good guys. Not all frats are evil, I guess.

2002, well said. Not all fraternities are created equal. A lot of chapters do great work in their community... it just looks like this chapter of Sigma Chi is a bad egg. The fraternities with active national organizations seem to have less of these types of problems. Sigma Chi is pretty big, so I wouldn't be surprised if each individual chapter doesn't get a lot of attention, allowing them to stray from their said mission and do stuff like this.

MUScoop seems to absolutely hate fraternities. I get a lot more of a negative vibe here than I do from most MU students. Why is this? I'm just a little curious, not trying to be combative. Did something personally happen to anybody here that caused them to think this way?

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »

MUScoop seems to absolutely hate fraternities. I get a lot more of a negative vibe here than I do from most MU students. Why is this? I'm just a little curious, not trying to be combative. Did something personally happen to anybody here that caused them to think this way?

Thats because most people that post on these boards went to Marquette - where 98% of the frat boys are overhand HJ's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Thats because most people that post on these boards went to Marquette - where 98% of the frat boys are overhand HJ's.

Double Dutch Rudder.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »

Geez, all I asked for was a reasonable, thought out response. Is that too much to ask for?

Edit: Grammar

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »
chuncken - You want to know why frats are disliked by me?  Mind you I went to UW-Platteville instead of MU, so most of my observations come from UWP... however from looking at other fraternities around UW, it seems to be similar

Because on paper fraternities talk about all the good things they do, when in fact, I hardly see them do any good, and it turns into just a reason to get a group of guys together and drink, listen to crappy music (why is OAR - Crazy Game of Poker the anthem for fraternities everywhere?) and talk about how hot girls are.  Yes, there are groups of guys that do this that aren't in fraternities, however these groups of guys don't talk about helping the community, and all the other reasons why fraternities should exist, they other groups(not fraternities, although this title could include fraternities) are usually just a bunch of meatheads that really aren't intelligent enough for the university setting however just got in because high school is extremely easy.

Fraternities bug me because you have to spend money to be in one.  So this idea that you spend money, only to sit around with other guys that spent money to live in this giant, old-beer smelling house to do the same things that majority of college males do just seems odd to me.  Hey buddy, theres LOTS of people on campus, you don't need to spend your money to find friends, and if you do, well, thats usually why frats suck. 

Another reason why frats suck, is their method of going about getting membership to this "exclusive" club.  First off, its not exclusive, anyone can join, because well, they just need your money to survive as a club.  Second, why prey on the freshman and pressure them to join as a fraternity.  As a freshman, I was partying at a fraternity (guy on my dorm floor was rushing, hell it was free beer before I went to a better party) and was pressured over and over to rush.  Telling them nicely I said no, not for me.  They immediately tried to ostracize me from the group although they couldn't because no one could beat me at beer pong.

Now onto this ostracizing that frats do.  It looks like people in fraternities are ONLY friends with people in fraternities... like a "we are the cool group", when in fact, everyone else is laughing at you.  If your popped up collar, cheap fraternity coat and frosted tipped hair through your bent to the side a bit visor doesn't scream "douchebag", I don't know what does.  I get it, just because Van Wilder did it doesn't mean you should.  When I would go to bars in UWP, I would see a group of these "wanna-be Van Wilders" sitting together, always, by themselves in their groups.  Wouldn't hardly talk to anyone else, and when they did, it was always down to them because they aren't "one of them"... I'm sorry, but I was a member of the rugby team at UWP, and yes, we would hang out together, we would drink together, we would talk about hot chicks together.  However I guarantee you that we would go to bars, and talk to everone in the bar as an equal, because hell, what makes me so different?  However members of a fraternity don't seem to think so.

If you really want, I could write a ton more on why people HATE those in fraternities, and stories like this just help the hatred.   
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »
Geez, all I asked for was a reasonable, thought out response. Is that too much to ask for?

If you need an in depth analysis of why frat boys are incredible douche bags then I'm surprised you are smart enough to even operate a computer.

Possibly this can help clear things up for you?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Frat%20Boy

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »
i thought calling frat guys overhand HJ's was pretty thought out.  

if you want a specific incident, i could go on for hours.  however, i'll give you my first encounter with the douche-kind.  house party at sigma ep marquette... the keg ran dry in the basement and the "brother" wasn't smart enough to figure out how to take the tap off.  i reached down and took it off and handed to him without saying a word.  he then proceeded to ask "if i thought i was f*ckin tough?"  i said, i was just trying to help.  at which point 4 "brothers" surrounded me and physically pushed me up the stairs and kicked me out of the party.  great first impression on a freshman 2-3 weeks into the school year.  

yes i understand there are decent guys in frats, i know a couple (not from MU).  however, it takes a couple to ruin the image for everyone.  you can find that with every group that has a stereotype.  the whole group could spend their life developing an image, and 1 person can ruin in a heartbeat.  here a couple frats spend time building a good image and 98% of the douches ruin it.

if anyone is interested in more frat stories, please feel free to ask.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »

My point is that there are a**holes everywhere, not just in fraternities.

I agreee with your premise, but there does seem to be a bee to honey affect with many frats.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
oh no, its really going to degrade into this conversation again?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
Maybe a lot of it has to do with the period of time you were at MU.  I was in school 98-02 and knew quite a few guys in frats, and can't say that I ever really had problems with any of them.  And no I wasn't in a frat. Now those golf caddy guys on the otherhand, jeeez, what a bunch of golf bag carrying alcoholic losers...     

Kidding obviously, just want to make my wide sweeping generalization of a group of people.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »
Maybe a lot of it has to do with the period of time you were at MU.  I was in school 98-02 and knew quite a few guys in frats, and can't say that I ever really had problems with any of them.  And no I wasn't in a frat. Now those golf caddy guys on the otherhand, jeeez, what a bunch of golf bag carrying alcoholic losers...     

Kidding obviously, just want to make my wide sweeping generalization of a group of people.

+1 on the Evan's Scholar's kids

LON

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
Frats are also ridiculous in that you buy your friends...

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »
you all sound way too touchy!
reminds me of Tiny Tim staring at the christmas goose in the shop window.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »
A debate me and my friends used to have all the time.  Seems appropriate to bring it up here:

What's worse:  A frat guy or a sorority chick?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:36:51 AM by warrior55 »