[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 22208 times)

MUeng

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2023, 12:22:54 PM »
No. Gas range and gas dryer.
gotta go induction. Way of the future

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2023, 12:44:25 PM »
gotta go induction. Way of the future

Real men grill all their food
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2023, 01:18:04 PM »
Brother Tower:

I don't mind an argument about EVs, as long as it's civil and debates the relative merits of both car types. As you point out, the range, weather and logistics concerns are severe issues for some. I'd add that in the very hot summers here, the issues are just as severe as extreme cold weather.

I'm not a physicist or an electrical engineer, so I can't address the theoretical possibilities in battery technology. I'm hoping though that in time, battery technology and recharge capability is such that we're more efficient and cleaner with EVs than we are with internal combustion engines. The pick-up on that Tesla I drove was off the charts and I know not a single gasoline-powered vehicle that can match it.

For you train buffs out there, the acceleration merits of electricity compared to gasoline or diesel is the reason why virtually all high-speed rail is electric. The performance difference between Amtrak's ACS-642, the old AM-7s or Acelas and the diesel powered GE P42s Amtrak operates now is nothing short of amazing

This is true today

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »
Indeed
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2023, 07:32:24 AM »
if this is the cost of transitioning to EV, then i want no part of it.  if this going on with other aspects of our economical development and/or technological advancements, something needs to stop.  does this mean i am throwing out my cell phone? let's be real and any reasonably thinking person knows what i mean here.  if we are to continue our evolution of the EV, is it too much to ask that children aren't exploited as such?

https://chrissmith.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=410044

I hate to tell you this, but a lot of the things we all use on a daily basis are made using exploited labor.

Some mines in Africa are awful, but many more are not run this way.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2023, 10:06:01 AM »
I hate to tell you this, but a lot of the things we all use on a daily basis are made using exploited labor.

All LABOR IS EXPLOITED COMRADE, PROFIT IS THEFT

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2023, 12:00:14 PM »
So is private property

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2023, 12:42:57 PM »
I was hoping we would get Scoop's take on "there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism." That's the good stuff.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2023, 01:18:35 PM »
I was hoping we would get Scoop's take on "there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism." That's the good stuff.

Jesmu can provide a YouTube video on that topic.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2023, 01:33:38 PM »

True though.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2023, 09:21:35 PM »
I didnt bother trying to figure out what is going on in the last page or so, but figured I'd throw my experience into the mix.

I have an Ioniq 5 for going on 6 months and have loved it. We are a two car family, and the other is am ICE that we have used for longer road trips where we just don't have faith in the charging ecosystem. Confident it will get there, but too many parts of the country are an EV wasteland. Even up in Green Bay, Fox Valleys leaves a lot to be desired, though is getting there.

Winter has been tough on the batter but not terrible with the battery warmer. However, the coldest days of the year (at or below 0) saw a dip of nearly 100 mi of range.

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2023, 08:22:58 AM »
My question is how will (do) people who live in apartments/condos charge their EVs?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2023, 08:32:31 AM »
My question is how will (do) people who live in apartments/condos charge their EVs?

Chargers on the sidewalk where you would find a parking meter like they do in Europe.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2023, 08:33:35 AM »
Lol. Sure. Definitely want average folks handing high voltage equipment

Exactly. My son is on the Penn Electric Racing team (studying EE among other things) and shared the safety training and that he was told be safe and smart or die. Obviously technology should continue to improve and hopefully one day 4evers thoughts are more of a reality.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:51 AM »
Chargers on the sidewalk where you would find a parking meter like they do in Europe.
What about in suburbs, or where there aren't  parking meters? For example if there is a 200 unit apartment complex. Say 20% of that unit have EV's?
I googled it, and the first thing was,1. ask your landlord to install EV charging, 2. get a heavy duty extension cord, and a level one charger

Too much crime in Milwaukee for this to be feasible.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2023, 10:29:31 AM »
Those are going to be obstacles to overcome.     What do you do in an apartment complex?    What do you do in a busy urban area like where you may park blocks from your home if you are lucky?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2023, 12:07:48 PM »
Our last 3 1/2 years in Chicago we lived in a 17-story apartment building in Lakeview that had no parking. It’s a very densely populated area, almost all high- and mid-rise apartments. I was always grateful if I could find a street parking spot within 3 blocks.

I don’t know how infrastructure for EVs will ever be available in that kind of environment. And of course, if some chargers are ever installed, how do you combat vandalism and theft?

This is not unique to Chicago; most major cities have similar situations. It’s a huge challenge for the EV movement, and I’m not sure how you solve it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2023, 12:10:21 PM »
Life is better/easier with home charging.

You can own an EV by just using public chargers. But it's not convenient

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2023, 12:16:32 PM »
Life is better/easier with home charging.

You can own an EV by just using public chargers. But it's not convenient
Milwaukee charging stations
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis Charging Stats
 341 Total Stations 39 Free Stations 16 New Stations (90 days) 68 Fast Chargers 8 CHAdeMO Plugs 37 CCS Plugs 30 Superchargers 138 J-1772 Plugs

Saying not convenient is an understatement. That definitely needs to change, and hopefully it does. Who's going to pay for them?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2023, 01:42:58 PM »
Milwaukee charging stations
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis Charging Stats
 341 Total Stations 39 Free Stations 16 New Stations (90 days) 68 Fast Chargers 8 CHAdeMO Plugs 37 CCS Plugs 30 Superchargers 138 J-1772 Plugs

Saying not convenient is an understatement. That definitely needs to change, and hopefully it does. Who's going to pay for them?

Right now, yes.

But if we're talking significant percentage of the population with EVs, there'd likely be significantly more chargers.

Who's going to pay for them? Who pays for gas stations?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2023, 01:59:05 PM »
Right now, yes.

But if we're talking significant percentage of the population with EVs, there'd likely be significantly more chargers.

Who's going to pay for them? Who pays for gas stations?
You're going to need a lot more room for a charging station than you do for a gas station. Gas stations don't really make money from the gas, but from the convenience store items. That's what we need, more convenience stores.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2023, 04:38:15 PM »
What about in suburbs, or where there aren't  parking meters? For example if there is a 200 unit apartment complex. Say 20% of that unit have EV's?
I googled it, and the first thing was,1. ask your landlord to install EV charging, 2. get a heavy duty extension cord, and a level one charger

Too much crime in Milwaukee for this to be feasible.

Eventually there will be quick charge stations at the gas station or EV Station where they can "fill up".

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2023, 04:50:06 PM »
You're going to need a lot more room for a charging station than you do for a gas station. Gas stations don't really make money from the gas, but from the convenience store items. That's what we need, more convenience stores.

What? Have you seen a charging station?

feedback