Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carter the PG  (Read 14583 times)

nyg

• All American
Carter the PG
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »
Tower asked for this earlier.

Went back thru Wisconsin game, which is the last six games.  In those six games:

16 total points  (2.6pg)
17 turnovers     (2.8pg)
20 assists         (3.3pg)
21 fouls            (3.5pg)

5 for 18 from field  (27%)
1 for 6 from three   (16%)

Not very good statistics for the young fella and he has had some serious growing pains in this stretch.  Hope he gets it together, otherwise Wojo be looking elsewhere for next year very soon.  Traci only real option right now.

tower912

• All American
Re: Carter the PG
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »
I could make some Derrick jokes off of those stats, but I won't.    He is a freshman, he will get better.    Right now, Haanif is better, but that could change again. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:28:12 PM »
I think he is going to be good. I would write him off just a few games into conference play.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
I noticed almost the whole game tonight, the Providence defenders were 5-6 feet off Traci. Makes a post entry pass nearly impossible. And, unlike Derrick, he isn't making up for it on the defensive end. I'd like to see him launch a 3 occasionally.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
Traci played well in the first half.  Pushed tempo a bit, initiated the offense well, put pressure on their defense.  In the 2nd half they sagged off of him and he was much less effective, and to Wojo's credit he saw it, moved Cheatham to PG, and got more scoring options in the game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:33:04 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
He's comin' around. I know the numbers aren't great, but the game is starting to slow down for him a bit. Had 5 TOs, but at got at least 3 back with steals.

I love his attitude, though. He'll be a good one here.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:55:09 PM »
He's comin' around. I know the numbers aren't great, but the game is starting to slow down for him a bit. Had 5 TOs, but at got at least 3 back with steals.

I love his attitude, though. He'll be a good one here.
I thought he was alright tonight, stayed within the flow and was pretty conservative. The rest of his game will come around a little with more games but I think he is starting to understand his role on this team.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »
I said going into the season that we needed Traci to play like a freshman Dominic James or Travis Diener to solve our problems at PG.  He is not nearly at the level of either of those 2.  That does not mean that he can't be a solid PG in a year or 2 once he gets some more experience but he is not up to the high bar that would have solved our problems.  He isn't confident in his 3 Pt shot so he never takes it and that allows his man to sag way off him making the entry pass much more difficult.  He doesn't go hard to the rack (his drive and shot late in the game tonight was very weak).  He isn't currently a great passer in traffic.  We don't have a lot of options at PG and those that we have all have limitations.  I think at this point we just have to hope for the best with Traci but our ceiling this year is certainly limited based on what he can do.  We'll be better off next year with Traci with a year of experience and Rowley eligible.  PG is such an important position I wouldn't hesitate to take a top flight recruit like the kid from Arizona.  If we couldn't get a pretty big time recruit I'd probably just accept the fact that Traci will be better next year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
Tower asked for this earlier.

Went back thru Wisconsin game, which is the last six games.  In those six games:

16 total points  (2.6pg)
17 turnovers     (2.8pg)
20 assists         (3.3pg)
21 fouls            (3.5pg)

5 for 18 from field  (27%)
1 for 6 from three   (16%)

Not very good statistics for the young fella and he has had some serious growing pains in this stretch.  Hope he gets it together, otherwise Wojo be looking elsewhere for next year very soon.  Traci only real option right now.

Do these stats include the Friar game?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »
Do these stats include the Friar game?

Yes.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
No doubt he should be getting minutes at PG but is not ready for this level of competition to be the main guy. The other three options for PG make us better team especially because all three can score as well. No great PG and I hope Wojo just goes with the hot hand on a given night and not getting married to any one guy. None are a long term solution at PG if the program wants to be a top 20 team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
I think you guys are being too hard on him.  He certainly struggled a bit following the WI game but has played significantly better ball the last two (GTown & Prov.)  Is he a world beater yet? Nope.  But his play had been solid.  Last night he actually gave us more minutes than Du and he accounted for 60% of our assists.  Gotta let the kid grow.  Both Hani and Du are better suited at 2/3.  But sensing the effective combos is something Wojo is getting a handle on.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »
I think you guys are being too hard on him.  He certainly struggled a bit following the WI game but has played significantly better ball the last two (GTown & Prov.)  Is he a world beater yet? Nope.  But his play had been solid.  Last night he actually gave us more minutes than Du and he accounted for 60% of our assists.  Gotta let the kid grow.  Both Hani and Du are better suited at 2/3.  But sensing the effective combos is something Wojo is getting a handle on.

Agree, let him develop and I think it pays dividends later in the season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
I'm a fan.   He has met my expectations.    But I expect freshmen to struggle from time to time.  NYG's stats show that.   I haven't given up on him and fully expect him to learn, grow, and improve, like the rest of his teammates. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
His handling of the rock is least of the problem IMO. In 2016 you cannot have a PG that struggles to make more than three points a game. With shorter shot clock you can play 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the ball. He looked fine in transition a couple of times last night but we do not push enough for him to play long stretches of time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »
His handling of the rock is least of the problem IMO. In 2016 you cannot have a PG that struggles to make more than three points a game. With shorter shot clock you can play 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the ball. He looked fine in transition a couple of times last night but we do not push enough for him to play long stretches of time.

We watched this movie last year...

Death on call

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
He’s a freshman PG…. the toughest position to play as a freshman. R-E-L-A-X

Just win baby!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »
He’s a freshman PG…. the toughest position to play as a freshman. R-E-L-A-X

Just win baby!

I thought you were dead, man

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »
We watched this movie last year...

The difference is that Derrick was a senior who had maxed out his abilities. Traci is a frosh who's 3 games into his Big East career and has plenty of room to grow.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
The difference is that Derrick was a senior who had maxed out his abilities. Traci is a frosh who's 3 games into his Big East career and has plenty of room to grow.

Don't get me wrong - I am a huge fan of Carter. I love his fierceness and passion. He will grow into his skin.

I remember another Jersey PG who started similarly. Mandy Johnson was looking to set up his teammates first but beginning his sophomore year he was also a threat to score. I expect Carter's flight path to be similar.

Death on call

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
He can't dribble with his left hand when pressured. He can't drive with his left.  He can't keep his hands off the defender, his fouls are always 25 feet from the basket. he can't shoot. He has a lot of work to do. It's been way to long since MU has had a dynamic PG.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
He can't dribble with his left hand when pressured. He can't drive with his left.  He can't keep his hands off the defender, his fouls are always 25 feet from the basket. he can't shoot. He has a lot of work to do. It's been way to long since MU has had a dynamic PG.

Well, why don't you tell us what you really think about his play.  Quit hold'en back on us.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »
Keefe

I love you, but have to question you on the Mandy comparison. Mandy could NOT dribble a lick back in the day. That said, his defense and ability to score made up for it. I love Mandy and have to say he was the WORST dribbler of the ball I ever saw play PG.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
Wojo's on it - there was a prolonged Traci-less spell in the second half last night when we were catching up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
Dunn got hot in the 2nd half when Traci was out of the game. Dunn didn't do a ton in the first half with Traci on him.

Traci has a toughness to him that not a lot of our guys have. I think it was the Georgetown game where we were getting smoked and looking horrible when Traci forced the action, got to the rim, and drew the foul. He knows what needs to be done, he just struggles to execute at times, like a freshman oftentimes does.

Don't overlook the fact that in Matty V's post game notes blog he mentions 6 players walked onto the court, 1 being a freshman Traci in redshirt sophomore Duane's ear reminding him what needed to be done coming out of the last timeout.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter