[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1033410 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 12/14/2020
« Reply #3325 on: January 24, 2022, 08:43:23 AM »
So far

Berman 16
Seth Davis 19
Chad Leiatikow 19
Clayton collier 20
Carino 20
Dickie V 22
Borges 25

Updated
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 1/24/2022
« Reply #3326 on: January 24, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »
I fully understand why some fans may not put much stock in the rankings, or why gamblers really wouldn't care, but in terms of program impact and perception, the AP Top-25 still matters more than the analytics sites or the NET.

And this comes from someone who routinely studies both the analytics sites in the NET. Tangible value, give me metrics, perception and program building value, it's the Polls and it's not even close.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #3327 on: January 24, 2022, 08:46:16 AM »
We were ranked numerous times under Wojo
Challenge flag

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #3328 on: January 24, 2022, 08:52:36 AM »
Challenge flag
After further review - Wojo’s teams were ranked 17 times during his 7 year tenure. 15 of those instances came consecutively during the same season in which we did not hold a ranking at season’s end. Wojo’s teams ran the gamut unranked for 5 of his 7 total seasons.

Therefore Wojo’s teams were not ranked numerous times, the call on the field is overturned.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3329 on: January 24, 2022, 08:52:57 AM »
Yes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3330 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:29 AM »
Yes

Hahah these are getting me for some reason. Well done

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3331 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:58 AM »
I fully understand why some fans may not put much stock in the rankings, or why gamblers really wouldn't care, but in terms of program impact and perception, the AP Top-25 still matters more than the analytics sites or the NET.

And this comes from someone who routinely studies both the analytics sites in the NET. Tangible value, give me metrics, perception and program building value, it's the Polls and it's not even close.

Well said

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3332 on: January 24, 2022, 08:56:04 AM »
After further review - Wojo’s teams were ranked 17 times during his 7 year tenure. 15 of those instances came consecutively during the same season in which we did not hold a ranking at season’s end. Wojo’s teams ran the gamut unranked for 5 of his 7 total seasons.

Therefore Wojo’s teams were not ranked numerous times, the call on the field is overturned.

Pretty sure the person who threw the challenge flag doesn't get to rule on the call.

17 may not be as many as we'd all like, but as a neutral party, it would qualify as numerous. I'm sure we are all hoping for it to be even more numerous during Shaka's tenure. Call on the field stands.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3333 on: January 24, 2022, 08:57:39 AM »
Pretty sure the person who threw the challenge flag doesn't get to rule on the call.

17 may not be as many as we'd all like, but as a neutral party, it would qualify as numerous. I'm sure we are all hoping for it to be even more numerous during Shaka's tenure. Call on the field stands.

Thank you, although I would admit it was less than I assumed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3334 on: January 24, 2022, 08:59:42 AM »

Agreed.  Perception does matter despite the fact that the top 25 doesn't determine seeding in the NCAA tournament.

Again, what's most encouraging about our winning streak is that we've gotten it done in a variety of ways, with multiple guys making big-time plays and contributions.  There's no doubt we can be considerably better but we have already shown we can compete with anyone. 

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #3335 on: January 24, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »
More importantly, this week will be the 378 week in Marquette history that the team will be ranked by the AP Poll, drawing exactly even with ND, who yes indeed sucks.

http://collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/app_total.cfm#.Ye69qNDMKUk

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3336 on: January 24, 2022, 09:01:08 AM »

I would respectfully say if it was 1998, then yes, I’d absolutely agree with you.

A big time hoops fan, a recruit, AAU coach, etc., they know if you’re good, and the AP poll helps solidify that. I think data and notoriety have evolved with how we consume college basketball has radically changed over the last 25 years. The casual college hoops fan is a dying breed. If you’re listening to a college hoops podcast, you’re a fan who knows what’s going on.

I love that MU is good, I’m not trying to piss on the AP poll just to be a jerk, I just think we collectively have evolved as college hoops fans.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3337 on: January 24, 2022, 09:04:06 AM »
The top 25 is important in the sense that all publicity is good publicity.  Really, though, it’s for the mouth breathers to brag about
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3338 on: January 24, 2022, 09:14:59 AM »
The top 25 is important in the sense that all publicity is good publicity.  Really, though, it’s for the mouth breathers to brag about

I think that’s a pretty fair statement.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3339 on: January 24, 2022, 09:29:19 AM »
If you’re listening to a college hoops podcast, you’re a fan who knows what’s going on.

This is true. I also think it’s true that the overwhelming majority of college hoops fans never visit a message board and never listen to a college hoops podcast.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:31:09 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3340 on: January 24, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »
Yesterday was an incredibly busy, newsworthy sports day. Mostly because of the two insane NFL finishes, but there also was a pretty full slate of NBA and NHL, some college hoops, Australian Open, etc.

During Sportscenter, they spent about a minute on Marquette beating Xavier, with SVP mentioning the winning streak and the victories over ranked teams, and talking about how well we're doing under Shaka.

Is that as "valuable" as being high enough in the NET to move up a seed line? I guess it would depend on what one finds valuable.

But if there were potential recruits (or their parents) watching that who kinda heard of MU, kinda knew who Shaka was, maybe they say, "Hmm, Marquette." If friends of kids Shaka already is recruiting see it, maybe they're saying, "You see Marquette? You might wanna ride that train. Shaka looks like a great guy to play for."

The only reason that clip was on Sportscenter was because Xavier was ranked. If neither team had been ranked ... not a single mention. So we'll be ranked now ... and when we beat Seton Hall on Wednesday, we'll get some more free pub. And then when we beat another ranked team, The Provi, on Saturday, more free pub.

Not sure how that's anything but a good thing.

For those who personally don't care, that's cool too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3341 on: January 24, 2022, 09:49:02 AM »
I would respectfully say if it was 1998, then yes, I’d absolutely agree with you.

A big time hoops fan, a recruit, AAU coach, etc., they know if you’re good, and the AP poll helps solidify that. I think data and notoriety have evolved with how we consume college basketball has radically changed over the last 25 years. The casual college hoops fan is a dying breed. If you’re listening to a college hoops podcast, you’re a fan who knows what’s going on.

I love that MU is good, I’m not trying to piss on the AP poll just to be a jerk, I just think we collectively have evolved as college hoops fans.

Here's where your argument falls apart for me. Yes, the fans that are dialed in know what's going on, but there are a lot of fans that only tune in after football season and the national podcasts aren't talking about teams 26-50 very often. I listen to Parish & Norlander, Field of 68 After Dark, DTF, and 3-Man-Weave regularly and they simply don't spend time talking about teams outside the rankings. It makes sense, the teams on the outside aren't as hyped and the matchups aren't as widely publicized or viewed.

For instance, TCU, Mississippi State, San Diego State, and West Virginia all seem to be solid teams that are fighting for tourney berths, but they rarely get publicity unless they are playing someone who is ranked. Sure, they might be good, but not good enough that anyone cares about them on their own merits. Marquette right now is similar. Our attention hasn't come because of who we are but because of who we beat. Take down #16 Providence, #20 Seton Hall, #11 Villanova, and #20 Xavier and you get discussion because of the numbers next to those names. Then once we put a number next to our name, we are part of the discussion regardless.

Just because we aren't casual college basketball fans doesn't mean the casual college basketball fan doesn't exist. With college football done and the NFL winding down, a lot more eyeballs will be coming our way simply because other than the NBA there isn't a lot else going on. Sports fans are sports fans and more and more tune in once the calendar turns from January to February and March, and being ranked is something that sports fans who love March and filling out brackets but aren't engaged from November on are easily able to pay attention to.

And having your name on that scroll and your highlights on the sports channels every time you play matters. That only happens consistently when one of the teams is ranked. If you're one of them, that means it happens every time.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #3342 on: January 24, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
To say being ranked doesn’t matter is just foolish. Rankings are published/posted on every local/regional sports site in the country.  The Top 25 scores are what gets scrolled, reported and noticed.  Maybe they’ve taken a back seat in terms of seeding but for alumni, national recognition, school pride and to an extent (even if minimal), recruiting; being ranked can only be viewed as a positive.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3343 on: January 24, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »
Being ranked is just a byproduct of winning.  I think you and brew are exaggerating the importance of being ranked a bit.  Just keep winning and nothing else matters.

We were ranked numerous times under Wojo and its didn't matter much when we folded up our tents at the end of the year.

It puts the program in the national eye more so than if there isn’t a number next to Marquette. A poster went on a long diatribe saying it’s inconsequential which it isn’t.

It also holds no bearing on future performance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3344 on: January 24, 2022, 09:57:09 AM »
Totally agree, brewski ... and I love it that, in this analytics-crazed world, an analytics guy like you places so much importance on old-school AP rankings.

For me, it's mostly a fun thing. I just love seeing Marquette wins on that crawl every few minutes, something that happens only if we're ranked and/or the team we beat is ranked. They even show the leading scorers or mention the winning shot.

If I happen to be watching with my son or a friend, when the score comes around I'll sometimes say, "Hey ... we won again!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3345 on: January 24, 2022, 09:58:27 AM »
To say being ranked doesn’t matter is just foolish. Rankings are published/posted on every local/regional sports site in the country.  The Top 25 scores are what gets scrolled, reported and noticed.  Maybe they’ve taken a back seat in terms of seeding but for alumni, national recognition, school pride and to an extent (even if minimal), recruiting; being ranked can only be viewed as a positive.

Of course its a positive.  I just don't think its much of one.  I think you and others are simply overstating the benefits.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3346 on: January 24, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »
Here's where your argument falls apart for me. Yes, the fans that are dialed in know what's going on, but there are a lot of fans that only tune in after football season and the national podcasts aren't talking about teams 26-50 very often. I listen to Parish & Norlander, Field of 68 After Dark, DTF, and 3-Man-Weave regularly and they simply don't spend time talking about teams outside the rankings. It makes sense, the teams on the outside aren't as hyped and the matchups aren't as widely publicized or viewed.

For instance, TCU, Mississippi State, San Diego State, and West Virginia all seem to be solid teams that are fighting for tourney berths, but they rarely get publicity unless they are playing someone who is ranked. Sure, they might be good, but not good enough that anyone cares about them on their own merits. Marquette right now is similar. Our attention hasn't come because of who we are but because of who we beat. Take down #16 Providence, #20 Seton Hall, #11 Villanova, and #20 Xavier and you get discussion because of the numbers next to those names. Then once we put a number next to our name, we are part of the discussion regardless.

Just because we aren't casual college basketball fans doesn't mean the casual college basketball fan doesn't exist. With college football done and the NFL winding down, a lot more eyeballs will be coming our way simply because other than the NBA there isn't a lot else going on. Sports fans are sports fans and more and more tune in once the calendar turns from January to February and March, and being ranked is something that sports fans who love March and filling out brackets but aren't engaged from November on are easily able to pay attention to.

And having your name on that scroll and your highlights on the sports channels every time you play matters. That only happens consistently when one of the teams is ranked. If you're one of them, that means it happens every time.

We consume similar products, so you know as well as I do that “what’s wrong with North Carolina?” would get far more of a discussion than “#20 Marquette/Seton Hall”. You’re right that the casual sports fan will float in late Feb, and obviously March, I just don’t think if I went up to a casual college hoops fan this afternoon and said “is Providence ranked?” that they would have any clue.

Being on SVP for 18 seconds at 11:45 pm at night is cool (I’m not being a dick here). Does it matter really though to anyone outside of Marquette? Probably not. If you’re a college hoops fan, you knew that happened half a day ago. The scroll is a dinosaur.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #3347 on: January 24, 2022, 10:19:41 AM »
My question is, once we are ranked, do we lose our underdog mentality?  Does the anger over the Cretin loss burn as bright after the sixth win as it did after the first or second?  Or are these guys just so much better than they were early in the season that it doesn't matter?  I'm crossing my fingers and picking the latter, with them going from "I'm mad" to "I believe!"
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3348 on: January 24, 2022, 10:24:05 AM »
My question is, once we are ranked, do we lose our underdog mentality?  Does the anger over the Cretin loss burn as bright after the sixth win as it did after the first or second?  Or are these guys just so much better than they were early in the season that it doesn't matter?  I'm crossing my fingers and picking the latter, with them going from "I'm mad" to "I believe!"

No need to name call Mom.  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #3349 on: January 24, 2022, 10:24:43 AM »
Being ranked is just a byproduct of winning.  I think you and brew are exaggerating the importance of being ranked a bit.  Just keep winning and nothing else matters.

We were ranked numerous times under Wojo and its didn't matter much when we folded up our tents at the end of the year.

Why did you bring Wojo into the conversation?  This wasn't a discussion about Wojo.  LMAO.