collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pokemon Cards  (Read 6033 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Pokemon Cards
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:18:03 PM »
Is anyone interested in buying rare and not rare pokemon cards for themselves or their kids? PM me

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Pokemon Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
Windowless van and free candy aren't working so well anymore?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
Is anyone interested in buying rare and not rare pokemon cards for themselves or their kids? PM me

No but do you want to buy some Beanie Babies?  They've been sitting in the rear window of my car for the past decade, but are otherwise in good shape.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
No but do you want to buy some Beanie Babies?  They've been sitting in the rear window of my car for the past decade, but are otherwise in good shape.

Wow, so you got in on them 10 years too late?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
I remember when collecting baseball cards was supposed to pay for my college.  I had over 100 complete sets.  They paid for my college...books...for a semester or two.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 04:20:00 PM »
Once they were “supposed” to pay for college, the boom was over. People were buying sets for investment that were made by the tens of millions. Some sets in the late 80s and early 90s can be bought for 10% or less of the original cost.

My Topps sets from the 50s and 60s are worth many tens of thousands of dollars.

Rarity, condition, demand.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
Once they were “supposed” to pay for college, the boom was over. People were buying sets for investment that were made by the tens of millions. Some sets in the late 80s and early 90s can be bought for 10% or less of the original cost.

My Topps sets from the 50s and 60s are worth many tens of thousands of dollars.

Rarity, condition, demand.

Those late 80's/early 90's sets are worth more as kindling than they are worth in dollars... Weird time in sports card history, for sure.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Those late 80's/early 90's sets are worth more as kindling than they are worth in dollars... Weird time in sports card history, for sure.

Just like any other "collector" things. Beanie babies, pokemon, Yugioh. Most are worthless since everyone collected them.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Just like any other "collector" things. Beanie babies, pokemon, Yugioh. Most are worthless since everyone collected them.

Yup. There is no rarity once everyone is collecting them.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »

Look no further than the ‘87 Fleer Billy Ripken for the poster child of said weirdness.  So many kids drained their savings for a rare “error” card that wasn’t even as sought after as two of its three corrections. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
The Billy Ripken FFace card is an all-time great.

Loved error cards. The reverse negative of Juan Gonzalez was a favorite.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
Wow, so you got in on them 10 years too late?

I've lost all sense of time.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
I remember when collecting baseball cards was supposed to pay for my college.  I had over 100 complete sets.  They paid for my college...books...for a semester or two.

When we were kids, baseball cards were great fun.  We used them to gamble ("leaners" or flipping), trade, try to assemble a collection (which you never completed), or put in the spokes of your bike (but only guys like Chico Salmon or Eddie Watt).  Opening a pack of cards and finding Willie Mays or Hank Aaron or Yaz was a huge deal.  You found a dime and you'd run up to the corner pharmacy or the convenience store or one of many places that sold them within a few blocks of your house and get a pack.  I've seen them at Target, but where else would you even get a pack of baseball cards now?  Bottom line is, guys my age had a real nostalgic connection with baseball cards.  So they valued them later and old cards became valuable.  Starting in the late 70s everybody, including kids, just bought them and hoarded them and didn't play with them and figured they'd be very valuable someday.  But the kids of that era who kept them in pristine condition don't have those kind of memories, so the cards don't have the same value.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Windowless van and free candy aren't working so well anymore?

We were cleaning out my garage and attic a few years back when my son was home from college and we loaded up a bunch of toys and games in my wife's minivan (a Plymouth Voyager, which was an awesome vehicle, but that is another discussion) to take to a local place that was looking for same.  A noticed a bunch of kids playing down the street and figured I'd offer them the toys before I left (earlier a dad was walking by with his son in a wagon and they took a few things).  So I said to the kids "I have a bunch of toys in my van that I am going to get rid of if any of you want to have a look before I get rid of them."  They said no and looked at me like I had three heads.  So I walk back to the house and my son was now there waiting to go with me and I told him what happened and wondered what kind of kid turns down free toys.  My son says something along the lines of "What were you thinking?  Some creepy old man offers you toys if you come over to his van!"  It did not occur to me at the time, but I was pretty embarrassed.  I would point out that while I recognize the kids on my block, I do not know them or their parents, and I'm sure they would recognize me as someone from their neighborhood.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
When we were kids, baseball cards were great fun.  We used them to gamble ("leaners" or flipping), trade, try to assemble a collection (which you never completed), or put in the spokes of your bike (but only guys like Chico Salmon or Eddie Watt).  Opening a pack of cards and finding Willie Mays or Hank Aaron or Yaz was a huge deal.  You found a dime and you'd run up to the corner pharmacy or the convenience store or one of many places that sold them within a few blocks of your house and get a pack.  I've seen them at Target, but where else would you even get a pack of baseball cards now?  Bottom line is, guys my age had a real nostalgic connection with baseball cards.  So they valued them later and old cards became valuable.  Starting in the late 70s everybody, including kids, just bought them and hoarded them and didn't play with them and figured they'd be very valuable someday.  But the kids of that era who kept them in pristine condition don't have those kind of memories, so the cards don't have the same value.

Baseball cards were created as a way to sell gum. Players received next to nothing - $20 - $25 bucks a year to allow Topps to reproduce their likenesses on cards. That's why you could buy a pack for 5 cents back in the 50's and 60's.

Marvin Miller was appalled at the money Topps was making at the players expense and Topps was forced to pay much, much more for rights. That's why you pay a lot more now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »
Who wants my pogs? I got some wicked slammers

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
I've seen them at Target, but where else would you even get a pack of baseball cards now? 

Card shops were the best.  There were a couple in every town, just like Blockbuster.  :-\

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »
Card shops were the best.  There were a couple in every town, just like Blockbuster.  :-\

And they almost all disappeared quicker than blockbuster after the market collapsed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »

I do. Started a Pog Club in high school.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »

A few of them even had a back room from what I understand. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »

Weirdest collection craze in my memory
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
I had about 75 of these bad boys:

One of the greatest baseball cards of all time.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 12:14:27 AM »
I had about 75 of these bad boys:

One of the greatest baseball cards of all time.

Sell those babies and buy a condo in Palm Springs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »

If I knew then...I used to play Magic: The Gathering and had what was referred to as the Power Ten, ten of the most powerful cards in the game that had been discontinued. I thought I did well when I sold them in the 1990s for over $1,000.

Now even the cheapest of those 10 cards goes for $1,000 individually and the full set I had is worth over $20,000.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 08:13:55 AM »
If I knew then...I used to play Magic: The Gathering and had what was referred to as the Power Ten, ten of the most powerful cards in the game that had been discontinued. I thought I did well when I sold them in the 1990s for over $1,000.

Now even the cheapest of those 10 cards goes for $1,000 individually and the full set I had is worth over $20,000.
Back in the day, a friend of mine did a bunch of work for me, so I gave hi, my collection of Topps football cards, which had been sitting ignored in the garage.  It included two Walter Payton rookie cards.

Ouch.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.