collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 3 doors down guitarist found dead  (Read 4357 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
3 doors down guitarist found dead
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:18:37 PM »
RIP  Matt Roberts. He was found unresponsive in west bend Hampton inn Saturday morning.  Was in town to play for a fund raiser for stars n stripes honor flight at "our place" bar.  Dad said he thinks it was "prescription pills". That's not good!  I doubt the prescriber messed up on how many to take at what prescribed time...he left the band in 2012 due to "health" reasons.  Whoever prescribed him the pills has some 'splainin to do

Absolutely love the song kryptonite
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: 3 doors down guitarist found dead
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
Might be worth hearing what the pills were and what they were prescribed for before we assume the doc did something wrong.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 02:38:59 PM »
RIP  Matt Roberts. He was found unresponsive in west bend Hampton inn Saturday morning.  Was in town to play for a fund raiser for stars n stripes honor flight at "our place" bar.  Dad said he thinks it was "prescription pills". That's not good!  I doubt the prescriber messed up on how many to take at what prescribed time...he left the band in 2012 due to "health" reasons.  Whoever prescribed him the pills has some 'splainin to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpl6ncyxLGw
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »

Friend went to high school with them.  Funny thing, is locals all thought they were terrible and were shocked that they got a record deal.  Apparently they were all terrible musicians and singers, but great song writers.  Computers can cover up their deficits. 

brandx

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
Friend went to high school with them.  Funny thing, is locals all thought they were terrible and were shocked that they got a record deal.  Apparently they were all terrible musicians and singers, but great song writers.  Computers can cover up their deficits.

Generic, over-produced "rock". The kind they play over the speakers at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:03:23 AM »
Might be worth hearing what the pills were and what they were prescribed for before we assume the doc did something wrong.

You are absolutely correct, except for the part about "we assume the doc did something wrong" part.  I never said anything about the doc doing anything wrong.  If the pils did cause his death and they were prescribed by a doc, they could have been an antibiotic for all we know and he had an anaphylactic reaction to them.  That would also require an explanation, Ein'a?  Given the fact that he left the band for "health" reasons, many assumptions can be made.  As his dad said, Matt had an issue with prescription pills, it doesn't necessarily mean a doc prescribed them. So, if mr. Roberts died from prescription pills without a prescription, he broke the law.  Addiction is a nasty problem.  Sad.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/matt-roberts-original-3-doors-down-guitarist-dead-at-38-w435461

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »
locals all thought they were terrible and were shocked that they got a record deal. 

The locals were right.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:33:47 PM »
I'm far from a 3 Doors Down fan, nor do I think any music that they have made is any good, but you don't get a deal for being bad.

Computers? This isn't Diplo, they're an actual band, that plays. You don't sell 20 million albums being terrible, regardless of technology.

All of good 'songwriters' are already employed by record labels.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:36:57 PM by PTM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »
I'm far from a 3 Doors Down fan, nor do I think any music that they have made is any good, but you don't get a deal for being bad.

Computers? This isn't Diplo, they're an actual band, that plays. You don't sell 20 million albums being terrible, regardless of technology.

Milli Vanilli disagrees with you.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 12:01:20 AM »

Nickleback.

I rest my case.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 12:08:27 AM »
Nickleback.

I rest my case.

That was the other one I was going to use. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »
Nickleback.

I rest my case.

Again, they're not terrible musicians, although the lead singer has a terrible voice.

Creed, the same way. Terrible music, not terrible musicians. I think their guitarist is highly regarded metal guitarist.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 08:06:40 AM »
Nickleback.

I rest my case.

Without question, Nickelback's best work was their cameo on The Jim Gaffigan Show.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »
Nickleback.

I rest my case.

Lemming  ;D

It seems there is always one or two popular acts that eventually get a bunch of blow back for all sorts of reasons and it becomes vogue to hate them. Musically 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Creed, etc weren't anything special....but the right combination of promotion, musical content for the age, image, live shows, etc produced popularity that got big enough people were going to start to be contrarian. Throw in the societal revolt against bro culture and it became easy to hate them. Doesn't mean their music wasn't crappy before or became crappy after.

In the early 90s Hootie and the Blowfish were super popular for a couple of years and then became a complete punching bag to the point the band broke up. Was their music crap, maybe but they were super popular then they weren't...more too it than whether the music is demonstratively crappy or not.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
Musically 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Creed, etc weren't anything special....but the right combination of promotion, musical content for the age, image, live shows, etc produced popularity that got big enough people were going to start to be contrarian. Throw in the societal revolt against bro culture and it became easy to hate them. Doesn't mean their music wasn't crappy before or became crappy after.

See late 1970s, KISS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »
See late 1970s, KISS.

Yep, and it only gets worse with the internet where these echo chambers can get set up where people can set up a group think that turns on people, places and things....especially musical acts.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:15 AM »
If people like Creed, or Nickleback, or 3 Doors Down...more power to them.

If you don't, that's OK too.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »

Hey!  This is America... where you can get a multi-million dollar deal no matter how bad, dumb or incompetent you are.

See: Cable Guy, (both "Larry the" and "The")
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
Hey!  This is America... where you can get a multi-million dollar deal no matter how bad, dumb or incompetent you are.

and the kardashians...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »

The movie? So much potential, ruined by the studio, damn shame.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 06:50:09 PM »
3 Doors Down is a bar band from Mississippi who made it to radio play based upon some what us musicians call "catchy" songs.  They had five or six hits which resulted in over 20 million albums sold and there are many bar bands wishing for the same.  Good for them, whether some like or dislike.

I saw them about 8 years ago and actually was impressed by their skills and interaction with the audience.  As in all music, some like a band, others don't which why there is such a different view.

But, one of the real reasons I like 3 Doors Down is their charitable efforts.  They have and continue to play free shows to active military at their bases/ships and probably their biggest hit "Here without you", is about a serviceman being overseas away from home.  I believe that they also have a charitable fund aligned with Walmart to help underprivileged in the south. 

Looks like Matt Roberts was addicted to some pain killers for awhile for his medical condition and this happens way too often. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »
3 Doors Down is a bar band from Mississippi who made it to radio play based upon some what us musicians call "catchy" songs.  They had five or six hits which resulted in over 20 million albums sold and there are many bar bands wishing for the same.  Good for them, whether some like or dislike.

I saw them about 8 years ago and actually was impressed by their skills and interaction with the audience.  As in all music, some like a band, others don't which why there is such a different view.

But, one of the real reasons I like 3 Doors Down is their charitable efforts.  They have and continue to play free shows to active military at their bases/ships and probably their biggest hit "Here without you", is about a serviceman being overseas away from home.  I believe that they also have a charitable fund aligned with Walmart to help underprivileged in the south. 

Looks like Matt Roberts was addicted to some pain killers for awhile for his medical condition and this happens way too often.

Thanks for that bit of info...I like them even more now.  Matt was supposed to play Saturday night for a military charity.  Addiction does not discriminate

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »

FYI citizen soldier is about and for the ANG

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 11:40:13 PM »

Mad respect for them in that regard; I wish more musicians would be focused on giving back.

And a very unfortunate end for Matt.  It is interesting to see the immense correlation between musicians and drug addiction.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
Mad respect for them in that regard; I wish more musicians would be focused on giving back.

And a very unfortunate end for Matt.  It is interesting to see the immense correlation between musicians and drug addiction.

The correlation of addiction and musicians is interesting indeed.  How many jobs out there allow one to drink and drug while you work?  In fact, it's almost expected, or taken for granted.  Is it a character flaw? Is it trying to replace or cover up some inherent weaknesses?  Does it lend to an enhanced creativity?  I think the same might apply to all walks of life, but the musician, many times gets a pass until the behavior becomes destructive.  The life and lifestyles of musicians seem to foster the drink and drug atmosphere until it stops making money

I guess we can also realize correlations with musicians and the rest of the populace as well, but the arts tend to have a little more tolerance toward it, imho, of course.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 12:17:53 AM »
The correlation of addiction and musicians is interesting indeed.  How many jobs out there allow one to drink and drug while you work?  In fact, it's almost expected, or taken for granted.  Is it a character flaw? Is it trying to replace or cover up some inherent weaknesses?  Does it lend to an enhanced creativity?  I think the same might apply to all walks of life, but the musician, many times gets a pass until the behavior becomes destructive.  The life and lifestyles of musicians seem to foster the drink and drug atmosphere until it stops making money

I guess we can also realize correlations with musicians and the rest of the populace as well, but the arts tend to have a little more tolerance toward it, imho, of course.

Wait, don't dentists sample the laughing gas too.  Isn't that why they went into that profession.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
Never in my life have I met someone that labels themselves a 3 Doors Down fan. Learn something new every day.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Wait, don't dentists sample the laughing gas too.  Isn't that why they went into that profession.

The only times I've had nitrous oxide is once in school to show each other how it works and how to administer it.  The other was when my dad was doing a small cavity.  I'm sure some do "sample" it, but how many "samples" is one allowed before it's considered abuse/breaking the law?  We had a dude who a dentist and the alcohol and drug liaison to us students.  So if any issues would come up and you needed to talk to someone about yourself and concerned that you may be developing a substance abuse issue(s) you would seek him out.  Or if he noticed a pattern in your Daily interactions, multiple absenteeism , etc, then he would intervene a little

One minor detail-that dentist who was our quasi AODA dude...overdosed,on nitrous and other cocktails of drugs.  He knew how to disconnect the safety oxygen flow needed to dispense the nitrous.  When you run out of oxygen, your nitrous stops flowing regardless,if ya had a whole tanker full.  Well he knew how to bypass that and probably suffocated himself

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »

The only times I've had nitrous oxide is once in school to show each other how it works and how to administer it.  The other was when my dad was doing a small cavity.

Gosh... I hope your dad was a dentist, too.

I'm wondering how many electricians would admit that the primary inspiration for their career was watching their own father electrocute himself.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »

The only times I've had nitrous oxide is once in school to show each other how it works and how to administer it.  The other was when my dad was doing a small cavity.  I'm sure some do "sample" it, but how many "samples" is one allowed before it's considered abuse/breaking the law?  We had a dude who a dentist and the alcohol and drug liaison to us students.  So if any issues would come up and you needed to talk to someone about yourself and concerned that you may be developing a substance abuse issue(s) you would seek him out.  Or if he noticed a pattern in your Daily interactions, multiple absenteeism , etc, then he would intervene a little

One minor detail-that dentist who was our quasi AODA dude...overdosed,on nitrous and other cocktails of drugs.  He knew how to disconnect the safety oxygen flow needed to dispense the nitrous.  When you run out of oxygen, your nitrous stops flowing regardless,if ya had a whole tanker full.  Well he knew how to bypass that and probably suffocated himself

Honestly, I was just joking....although there is a correlation between drug abuse and suicide as well as suicide and being a dentist.  By the transitive property that means all Dentists abuse drugs right???  I logic good.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 12:45:20 AM »
Honestly, I was just joking....although there is a correlation between drug abuse and suicide as well as suicide and being a dentist.  By the transitive property that means all Dentists abuse drugs right???  I logic good.

Yes my dad was a dentist..or at least I think he was