[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Favorite DePaul Game Memory  (Read 1308 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Favorite DePaul Game Memory
« on: February 25, 2023, 08:51:01 AM »
I have been going to MU v. DU games since fourth grade. Tons of great games. 

DW3's first game at The Horizon is  my favorite.  I was with my older brother, but in the DePaul section in a time their fans filled up the place. They had no idea who he was and wondered how the hell Pat Kennedy didn't sign him over other Chicago kids (who were more highly ranked).  After the game I was waiting for my buddy outside DePaul's locker room (who was a DePaul academic advisor for the team), and all the DU player parents were ragging on Kennedy about how they could lose to Wade. I knew his and DePaul's ends were coming.

I hope to top that moment today.

https://marquette_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/stats/011902aaa.html
Wade went off for 35.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 09:58:38 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Goose

• All American
Re: Favorite DePaul Game Memory
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 08:55:58 AM »
Dr. B

Great post. I have to do some thinking on favorite DePaul memory. It was a helluva of rivalry for a long time.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 09:30:28 AM »
Dr. B

Great post. I have to do some thinking on favorite DePaul memory. It was a helluva of rivalry for a long time.

Brother Goose:

DePaul/Marquette needs to become a great rivalry again.

Just not this year!

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 09:35:37 AM »
1999-2000 season - Crean's first at the helm

MU went into the Allstate Arena to face #21 DePaul (11-3), who had 4 future NBA guys (including Q. Richardson) & 4-5 guys who were  top 50 in HS recruiting rankings.

Marquette pulled the upset on the road....I recall Cordell Henry having a particularly good game.

Pat Kennedy could recruit but was a terrible coach otherwise...that DePaul team only went 21-12 on the year (9-7 in C-USA) and lost their 1st NCAA tourney game.

MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
Worst memory is of Rod Strickland laughing at Anthony Candelino (iirc) trying to guard him.    Ah, the Dukiet years. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 09:39:37 AM »
Brother Goose:

Just not this year!

True, but how would this happen when their fan base is only a tad above Georgetown's? The damage done by crappy coaches and administrations that do not give a rat's ass has left both schools now competing for the cellar.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 09:42:39 AM »
Brother Goose:

Just not this year!

Why?  The world needs conference bottom  dwellers too. 

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 09:45:20 AM »
Right.

I see no need for a rivalry, unless it is of the Packers - Bears variety, where MU wins 90% of the time !

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
Why?  The world needs conference bottom  dwellers too.

Drop the s from dwellers and I'm good with that. Two weakens a conference.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 09:57:02 AM »
tower

I blocked that era of MU ball from my memory.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »
Two of them, both from the Fat Kennedy years.  The first was the year after he took the team to the NCAA tournament and Q. Richardson and a couple others departed for the NBA.  DePaul was still nationally ranked and had two other players on the team that later played in the NBA.  DePaul was up by 10 against a clearly overmanned Marquette.  Marquette scored the first couple baskets of the second half and then John Mueller moved past DePaul's two future NBA pros, grabbed an offensive rebound, and went up for his only slam dunk of his career.  DePaul folded like a card table.  Brian Wardle went on to score a bunch while the DePaul defense stood around and watched.  That was the beginning of the end for DePaul that season, and for Kennedy.

The next year was even more fun.  DePaul looked even more poorly coached.  Wade was looking spectacular.  Marquette fans totally took over the Allstate Arena.  During one time-out, the DePaul cheerleaders brought out a t-shirt cannon and started shooting t-shirts into the crowd, which was difficult, because they had to find DePaul fans to aim them at.  Some of them inevitably landed near Marquette fans - who threw them back.  At least one hit one of the DePaul players during the time-out.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 10:23:25 AM »
I wouldn’t call it a favorite and not even sure we won the game. In Buzz’s last year, Davante hit a 3/4 court shot just after the buzzer that would have won the game. I think we ended up winning in OT or 2OT, but that season is a bit fuzzy after scoring 30 points against Ohio State.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
I have told this story before, but it's worth repeating :

About 2010, I was given the equivalent of Dick Strong seats to a DePaul game at the Allstate Arena. The one rule I was given was that I was not allowed to wear any Marquette clothing, so I dressed in all black.

Marquette was kicking some serious ass, and when we were up by 20 with about 2 minutes to go, DePaul had a nice alley oop dunk. A really drunk DePaul fan behind me screamed "That's what I'm talking about! Take that, Marquette!"

I leaned over and said, "You know, it still only counts for 2 points."

He replied with "Well, f*ck you!"

The guy sitting next to me, who was there with his young son, nicely asked him, "Would you mind not swearing in front of my kid?"

"F*ck you, and f*ckyour kid, too!"

I always wonder if once he sobered up, he realized that the person cussed out was Steve Kerr.
Have some patience, FFS.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 12:52:14 PM »
I wouldn’t call it a favorite and not even sure we won the game. In Buzz’s last year, Davante hit a 3/4 court shot just after the buzzer that would have won the game. I think we ended up winning in OT or 2OT, but that season is a bit fuzzy after scoring 30 points against Ohio State.

Was that against DePaul or Providence?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 12:54:37 PM »
My favorite DePaul game memories are the drunk bus ride to and from the game with other students and recent grads. Talk about a crap show.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 12:57:24 PM »
I have told this story before, but it's worth repeating :

About 2010, I was given the equivalent of Dick Strong seats to a DePaul game at the Allstate Arena. The one rule I was given was that I was not allowed to wear any Marquette clothing, so I dressed in all black.

Marquette was kicking some serious ass, and when we were up by 20 with about 2 minutes to go, DePaul had a nice alley oop dunk. A really drunk DePaul fan behind me screamed "That's what I'm talking about! Take that, Marquette!"

I leaned over and said, "You know, it still only counts for 2 points."

He replied with "Well, f*ck you!"

The guy sitting next to me, who was there with his young son, nicely asked him, "Would you mind not swearing in front of my kid?"

"F*ck you, and f*ckyour kid, too!"

I always wonder if once he sobered up, he realized that the person cussed out was Steve Kerr.
Excellent story
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 01:06:55 PM »
Two of them, both from the Fat Kennedy years.  The first was the year after he took the team to the NCAA tournament and Q. Richardson and a couple others departed for the NBA.  DePaul was still nationally ranked and had two other players on the team that later played in the NBA.  DePaul was up by 10 against a clearly overmanned Marquette.  Marquette scored the first couple baskets of the second half and then John Mueller moved past DePaul's two future NBA pros, grabbed an offensive rebound, and went up for his only slam dunk of his career.  DePaul folded like a card table.  Brian Wardle went on to score a bunch while the DePaul defense stood around and watched.  That was the beginning of the end for DePaul that season, and for Kennedy.

The next year was even more fun.  DePaul looked even more poorly coached.  Wade was looking spectacular.  Marquette fans totally took over the Allstate Arena.  During one time-out, the DePaul cheerleaders brought out a t-shirt cannon and started shooting t-shirts into the crowd, which was difficult, because they had to find DePaul fans to aim them at.  Some of them inevitably landed near Marquette fans - who threw them back.  At least one hit one of the DePaul players during the time-out.

I made the trip on the student bus for the second game you highlighted.  I remember that also.  It was nuts…there were fights in the student section with DePaul students and also in the parking lot following the game.  And we won! :)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 01:42:53 PM »
Was that against DePaul or Providence?

Both. He did it twice in the same year.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 01:47:39 PM »
Circa 98 or 99 season at the BC, Can’t recall the DePaul player’s name, but MU fans gave it to him after a dirty plays. Repeatedly said his lasts name and “sucks”. The whole place was going crazy on the guy.

SonOfWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2023, 03:11:29 PM »
Favorite story coming out of a DePaul game was when Al took Pat Smith to Lake Michigan after Ray Meyer said that Smith couldn’t throw a beach ball into the ocean.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/life/green-sheet/2018/02/06/time-al-mcguire-proved-rival-wrong-beach-ball-and-lake-michigan/1085056001/