[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 95866 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2017, 03:11:55 PM »
Saying she's hot isn't the problem. The problem is everything you posted immediately after that.
Yep the fixing part
Goal is National Championship

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
Yep the fixing part

Actually, I would be interested to hear exactly how he fixes it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

You sure you want him to go down that road?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
You sure you want him to go down that road?
It will be highly entertaining
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »
Umm..this comment is completely over the top..I never have nor never would sexually harass or abuse ANY woman.

Well....assuming the "fixing" comment wasn't a reference to abuse, I think MU82 was taking a shot at the guy commuting between Mar-a-Lago and Washington every week, not you.

Geez..you guys are a sensitive lot here. Political correctness at it's finest. I said Britt McHenry is hot..because she is. No one else here has ever said a chick was hot or wait..even posted pictures of them, right? Have you accused them of sexually harrassing women? Your comment is completely out of line.

As others have said, it wasn't so much the "she's hot" bit (though your valuing of her for her looks over her ability as a journalist is objectification) it was more everything that came after.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »
Well....assuming the "fixing" comment wasn't a reference to abuse, I think MU82 was taking a shot at the guy commuting between Mar-a-Lago and Washington every week, not you.

Moi?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

chapman

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
I still don't understand the "cord cutters". I can fathom life without my #1 entertainment...TV. Sure, there's lot of channels I don't want/need with Directv, but I can't imagine EVER watching TV or live sports on a screen so small...like a laptop/Ipad just to save some money. It's like people that ONLY use the internet on their phones, and don't have a laptop or anything else at home...just way too small and inconvenient for me.

Still have TV as a cord cutter, just not cable.  Fire TV, Roku, Smart TV apps, cast your PC/tablet/phone to the TV, grab an HD antenna for the local channels, etc.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »

It has ZERO to do with physical violence in anyway. In fact, without getting too personal, I could give anyone that wanted them references from past relationships that would tell you..I'm as sweet and as gentle as they come. Just sayin'.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
I still don't understand the "cord cutters". I can fathom life without my #1 entertainment...TV. Sure, there's lot of channels I don't want/need with Directv, but I can't imagine EVER watching TV or live sports on a screen so small...like a laptop/Ipad just to save some money. It's like people that ONLY use the internet on their phones, and don't have a laptop or anything else at home...just way too small and inconvenient for me.

Wait wuhhhhhhh? Is that what you think? Brah, you can still use your tv with the cord cutting services. Why would I want to watch crap on my laptop and not my 60inch?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2017, 04:30:18 PM »
Wait wuhhhhhhh? Is that what you think? Brah, you can still use your tv with the cord cutting services. Why would I want to watch crap on my laptop and not my 60inch?

You'd be surprised by how many do this, and by how many only have internet on their phones. I could never do that. And I can't get rid of Directv...I'm a huge sports guy..I don;t know what I'd do without being able to watch sports live.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
This shows your ignorance on the subject.

People with cable are NOT allowed to drop only ESPN. Since ESPN is part of the cable package, it is all or nothing. ESPN is losing subscribers at the SAME EXACT RATE as overall cable subscribers.

whoopsie!  you can drop espn on some packages by dropping down to a different tier
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
whoopsie!  you can drop espn on some packages by dropping down to a different tier

Is this true? Honest question. I thought ESPN was part of the basic package for just about every cable provider.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »

GGGG

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2017, 05:06:22 PM »
This shows your ignorance on the subject.

People with cable are NOT allowed to drop only ESPN. Since ESPN is part of the cable package, it is all or nothing. ESPN is losing subscribers at the SAME EXACT RATE as overall cable subscribers.

You still need your cable provider for internet access so you still pay for their service into your house.  They will then get you to go down to a "limited basic" package that is either free (with internet access) or maybe $10/month that includes local channels, publics access, CNN and one or two others.

The point is the biggest way to cut your bill is to dump the most expensive channel (ESPN) and the third most expensive channel (ESPN2, second is TNT) and that is what you are seeing happening.

You do have choices and since 75% to 85% of cable subscribers do not watch sports, the easiest way to stick over $100/year back into your pocket is get rid of ESPN ... that that is happening, and they want it to happen as explained below.

Would You Cut the Cord on ESPN to Save $8 a Month? Here's How Many People Said Yes
This could be very bad news for Walt Disney.
Daniel B. Kline (TMFDankline) Apr 15, 2017 at 9:00AM

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/04/15/would-you-cut-the-cord-on-espn-to-save-8-a-month-h.aspx

In the survey, Greenfield asked two questions:

1. "If you could save $8 per month by removing ESPN and ESPN2 from your cable or satellite package, would you do it?"
2. "If ESPN and ESPN2 were only available as a standalone service like Netflix, would you pay $20 per month to subscribe?"

More than half of respondents, 56%, said they would be willing to not have the ESPN channels if they could shave $8 a month off their cable bill. Only 6% of those surveyed said they would be willing to pay $20 a month for a standalone ESPN service.

If ESPN were to launch a streaming service, not tied to a traditional pay-TV subscription, it would trigger clauses in many of its contracts that force cable companies to provide it to a certain (large) percentage of their customers. If pay-TV providers could offer ESPN-free packages, most would, and ESPN would probably not be able to make up that revenue with a streaming service.

"If 15% paid for an ESPN/ESPN2 DTC offering at $20/month, that yields $4.1 billion in revenue, dramatically below the nearly $9 billion the two channels generate from the legacy MVPD ecosystem," Greenfiled wrote. "To make matters worse, as we mentioned above, these DTC subscribers could churn on/off whenever they want (i.e., NFL fans only would have to subscribe for football season). In turn, the actual revenue from a DTC model would be significantly lower than $4 billion."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:09:07 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »

She's mostly wrong.

Why?  She is more qualified than you to make this judgment.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
She's only worked there for 25 years........

https://twitter.com/deeprootx/status/857701320706445314
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:13:43 PM by MuMark »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
I've seen multiple people bring up ESPN's supposed liberal politics and then bring up Jenner's name specifically as an example of the overbearing nature of this issue yet Jenner is a Republican voter who supported Donald Trump.

This is also the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh for reasons that have never been fully clear. And it's also the network that employs Sage Steele, an outspoken conservative voice in the media, in high profile positions.

Both sides can claim political bias from the network but only the chronically aggrieved would latch like a vulture on a massive wave of layoffs to "prove" they, and their way of thinking, are being persecuted.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »
Why?  She is more qualified than you to make this judgment.

Eh.  Not really.  I don't think she has any clue really.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
I've seen multiple people bring up ESPN's supposed liberal politics and then bring up Jenner's name specifically as an example of the overbearing nature of this issue yet Jenner is a Republican voter who supported Donald Trump.

This is also the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh for reasons that have never been fully clear. And it's also the network that employs Sage Steele, an outspoken conservative voice in the media, in high profile positions.

Both sides can claim political bias from the network but only the chronically aggrieved would latch like a vulture on a massive wave of layoffs to "prove" they, and their way of thinking, are being persecuted.

Jenner was heralded for coming out transgender and never allowed to promote her politics on the channel.  Shew was used purely as a left-wing symbol.

Limbaugh their work there for 5 weeks in 2003.  So if that is your argument that "both sides" are represented becuase Limbaugh had slightly more than a month at the station 14 years ago, try again.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
Eh.  Not really.  I don't think she has any clue really.

Why do you think that ... because that is what you think about people that do not agree with you?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Why do you think that ... because that is what you think about people that do not agree with you?

No because I think she is just generally an airhead who does SportsCenter.  I would think the same thing about any of those doofuses that comment on this stuff.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »
Is this true? Honest question. I thought ESPN was part of the basic package for just about every cable provider.

this is just one example-xfinity tv-limited basic=NO espn.   expanded basic includes espn

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/difference-between-limited-basic-and-expanded-basic-cable/
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
No because I think she is just generally an airhead who does SportsCenter.  I would think the same thing about any of those doofuses that comment on this stuff.

Very sexist of you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
Very sexist of you.

???  I find most of their on air personalities to be airheads.  Both male and female.

feedback