[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 95914 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
I still don't understand the "cord cutters". I can fathom life without my #1 entertainment...TV. Sure, there's lot of channels I don't want/need with Directv, but I can't imagine EVER watching TV or live sports on a screen so small...like a laptop/Ipad just to save some money. It's like people that ONLY use the internet on their phones, and don't have a laptop or anything else at home...just way too small and inconvenient for me.

Dude, how old are you?
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
I still don't understand the "cord cutters". I can fathom life without my #1 entertainment...TV. Sure, there's lot of channels I don't want/need with Directv, but I can't imagine EVER watching TV or live sports on a screen so small...like a laptop/Ipad just to save some money. It's like people that ONLY use the internet on their phones, and don't have a laptop or anything else at home...just way too small and inconvenient for me.
You can watch programs/events/shows on your big screen without having a cable cord hooked up to it.  90% of our consumption on the big screen is through the internet not through cable.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
>:( This one sucks...super HOT, may be a b*itch, but hotness supersedes everything else to me. You can fix B*itchy anyway..
I find it stunning that you are no longer married.  Stunning!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2017, 12:34:52 PM »
Also have to account for illegal streaming. Not saying its right, but thats the way it is. Why pay extra for more channels when you can easily find it for free on the internet? Think about how many of us used FirstRow or VIPbox this season when we couldnt find Marquette games, and thats just a very small cross section from a specific school.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
muguru's point is not well thought, but streaming sports is far from acceptable at this point.

I have no problem paying $75/mo to not deal with streaming, lagging, buffering, poor quality, finding streams, and not being in real time when it comes to streaming sports.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

You know, they have streaming devices that plug into your TV starting for less than $50. Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast...google them or go ask at Best Buy.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »
muguru's point is not well thought, but streaming sports is far from acceptable at this point.

I have no problem paying $75/mo to not deal with streaming, lagging, buffering, poor quality, finding streams, and not being in real time when it comes to streaming sports.

I have been streaming for 4 years now.  Your problem is with live sports availability not quality issues.  Streaming Hulu, netflix, or amazon through my tv has none of the quality issues you reference.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
I have been streaming for 4 years now.  Your problem is with live sports availability not quality issues.  Streaming Hulu, netflix, or amazon through my tv has none of the quality issues you reference.

Hulu, Netflix and Amazon are all fine. I use two of those, great quality.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »

I do all this, and have cable basically for sports and sports only.  I am not old (that old).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
I'd also be willing to bet that a majority of the 15 million subscribers that ESPN lost are not sports fans. Just because you had cable doesn't mean you watched ESPN. This is a problem that ESPN can do very little to fix.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »
I'd also be willing to bet that a majority of the 15 million subscribers that ESPN lost are not sports fans. Just because you had cable doesn't mean you watched ESPN. This is a problem that ESPN can do very little to fix.

Being able to subscribe "a la carte" would be huge.

When I was a kid and cable finally came to our area my parents were able to just subscribe to ESPN for me.

The reason I haven't cut the cord is sports.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »
Being able to subscribe "a la carte" would be huge.

For you?  Yes.  For the networks and the cable companies?  No.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »

Mmmmhm, he does have a point. Its like the classic threads every game Marquette plays asking where it can be streamed.  Just buck up and pay $10 extra a month and get DirecTV and all your problems will be solved.

That said, I am a big fan of an MLB team and I've never lived in that market (my old man brainwashed me at a young age).  I watch several games a week, and I've always had MLB.tv.  The streaming through an Apple TV, chromecast, PS4, etc. definitely isn't as good as just regular television, but it has improved a lot over the past decade.  That's a scenario where the extra several hundred dollars isn't worth it to me to also get MLB extra innings.  Because I'd always want MLB.tv so I can watch and listen on my phone when out and about.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

My roommate and I used to play computer games and stream movies from the computer on his 55" TV and that was a decade ago. Methinks you're a bit behind the times.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Mmmmhm, he does have a point. Its like the classic threads every game Marquette plays asking where it can be streamed.  Just buck up and pay $10 extra a month and get DirecTV and all your problems will be solved.

That said, I am a big fan of an MLB team and I've never lived in that market (my old man brainwashed me at a young age).  I watch several games a week, and I've always had MLB.tv.  The streaming through an Apple TV, chromecast, PS4, etc. definitely isn't as good as just regular television, but it has improved a lot over the past decade.  That's a scenario where the extra several hundred dollars isn't worth it to me to also get MLB extra innings.  Because I'd always want MLB.tv so I can watch and listen on my phone when out and about.

Where can you do this? I live in downtown Indianapolis and have access to Spectrum, Comcast and ATT/DirecTV and none of them would allow me to add cable to my existing internet for only $10/month

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2017, 01:55:31 PM »
Don't know about the quote but the second part here is wrong.  ESPN is losing subscribers faster than the overall cable losses.

This shows your ignorance on the subject.

People with cable are NOT allowed to drop only ESPN. Since ESPN is part of the cable package, it is all or nothing. ESPN is losing subscribers at the SAME EXACT RATE as overall cable subscribers.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »

Guru, I may not be an actual "cord cutter" as I switched to DirecttV from cable. The Xtra package includes all the sports channels that cable had - plus some extra ones. I am also paying $90 a month less for DirectTV/U-verse than I was with Spectrum so it feels like I cut the cord.

But I am with you - I only get TV this way for sports. Sports streaming on the internet is oftentimes a horrible viewing experience - big screen or small.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »
I find it stunning that you are no longer married.  Stunning!

Beat me to it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Where can you do this? I live in downtown Indianapolis and have access to Spectrum, Comcast and ATT/DirecTV and none of them would allow me to add cable to my existing internet for only $10/month

I was referring to in lieu of your existing cable provider. OBviously if you don't have a cable to begin with, its going to be more expensive, and admittedly the $10 was an arbitrary number. But whatever extra doe on monthly basis DTV costs over you local cable provider, if you're a big sports fan, its worth it.  By a couple less starbucks that month.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:17:58 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
Beat me to it.

But he loves women. Respects them more than anyone. Women are tired of being treated so well by him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
But he loves women. Respects them more than anyone. Women are tired of being treated so well by him.

And he certainly wouldn't sexually harass or abuse the ugly ones!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2017, 02:39:36 PM »
Is it weird that we're a 'blend'?  I can't imagine giving up our dish but we do have roku and stream things frequently.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
Not weird... we are in the same boat... just waiting for one of the streaming options to have locals and dvr capability. Seems possible in some cities with Youtube tv, others seem to be working on it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
And he certainly wouldn't sexually harass or abuse the ugly ones!

Umm..this comment is completely over the top..I never have nor never would sexually harass or abuse ANY woman.

Geez..you guys are a sensitive lot here. Political correctness at it's finest. I said Britt McHenry is hot..because she is. No one else here has ever said a chick was hot or wait..even posted pictures of them, right? Have you accused them of sexually harrassing women? Your comment is completely out of line.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
Umm..this comment is completely over the top..I never have nor never would sexually harass or abuse ANY woman.

Geez..you guys are a sensitive lot here. Political correctness at it's finest. I said Britt McHenry is hot..because she is. No one else here has ever said a chick was hot or wait..even posted pictures of them, right? Have you accused them of sexually harrassing women? Your comment is completely out of line.

Saying she's hot isn't the problem. The problem is everything you posted immediately after that.

feedback