collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee Rehearsal Dinner Spots  (Read 6826 times)

Coleman

• All American
Milwaukee Rehearsal Dinner Spots
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Hey folks,

Getting married at Gesu next summer, reception also downtown...but I'm wondering about affordable rehearsal dinner spots. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something decent with a private room with enough room to have a party of 40+.

And yes, I have already sent an email inquiring to Sobelman's for the event (I'm not joking...)

Joey Buona's is too expensive, as is most of the stuff in the 3rd ward.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:56:14 PM by Bleuteaux »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Milwaukee Rehearsal Dinner Spots
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
Annex?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
Annex?

Actually thought about it, but the food there was pretty subpar from what I recall.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »
I remember it being hit or miss, but being only a 5min walk from Gesu is a huge positive

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »
pics?

John Hawk's Pub still around? Had a back area that worked well for this type of thing back in the day.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »
The banquet hall at Art's Performing Center.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
Could probably rent Bumstead's old crib in The Quon for cheap and have Chipotle cater, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
Could probably rent Bumstead's old crib in The Quon for cheap and have Chipotle cater, hey?

I'd have Speed Queen do the catering.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »
Don't know if it's less expensive than Joey B's, but Maxies Southern Comfort (68th, just of 94) has an upstairs that they rent it out. We like it because it's casual and the food is always solid. Not your typical fare, for sure. Congrats. We were also married at Gesu.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
My wife and I reserved Wisconsin Cheese Mart (now Uber Tap Room) on Old World 3rd in October 2012 on a Friday night. We had about 60 people and got the entire place from about 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. We pre-ordered an assortment of food off their menu for about $500-600 (mostly sandwiches and appetizers) and then had an open bar for two hours. All told with tax and tip, we spent around $1600. They have a great Wisconsin beer selection and the space is nice. Food is pretty good. It was also an ideal location as most of our guests were staying at the Aloft hotel down the block. We were happy with the price and having a pretty unique experience for the rehearsal.

Also, our families enjoy a drink or several and this place still came in about $600 less than I thought it would.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:34:45 PM by MU7703 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
I know someone that had a fish fry at Turner Hall Restaurant for their rehearsal dinner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
I know someone that had a fish fry at Turner Hall Restaurant for their rehearsal dinner.

We did that. It was an outstanding venue for the purpose. Fr Corbett Walsh gave a double thumbs up!

Death on call

ChicagoMUalum

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
Coquette Cafe
Hotel Metro
Mimma's

We went with Mimma's as we had a large rehearsal.

We did either fish or chicken with a salad, vegetable and dessert for less than $20pp.  This was 2007, but still might be a great option.

Coquette Cafe would have definitely been in the running, but the space would have been tight.

Good luck and congrats!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »

Turner Hall was actually my very first choice.

However they are "closed for summer" and I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone, and am worried that late next May won't work since they close in the summers.

It seems they are only open for Bucks/Marquette seasons.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
There's an upstairs at Mo's Irish Pub that should be able to accommodate that many people.  No room rental fee either from what I remember.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
The upstairs at Buck Bradley's might not be a bad option. They have a banquet menu as well.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »
I don't know what their food is like, but I've been to large private parties at Port of Call on the river and I've always had a blast. Plus, if you're doing it in May their patio area is sweet. We had the place rented out the night before graduation in 2010 and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
Bring back FFP!!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
pics?

John Hawk's Pub still around? Had a back area that worked well for this type of thing back in the day.

We had the rehearsal dinner at John Hawks for one of my kids in summer of 2011.  It allowed us to spill outside as it was a pleasant summer evening.  Non-Milwaukee based guests loved it. 
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
Turner Hall was actually my very first choice.

However they are "closed for summer" and I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone, and am worried that late next May won't work since they close in the summers.

It seems they are only open for Bucks/Marquette seasons.

I read here on Scoop that Turner's closed but has reopened. If you can swing it it is a superlative venue for a relaxed last meal as a free man. The majority of our attendees were from elsewhere and the Friday Fish Fry is such a cultural marker for Milwaukee that it does add to the local color.

The wedding reception was in much more elegant surroundings but I rather preferred the pitchers of beer atmosphere of Turner's. And one thing I noticed is that while my bride was stunning on her day she was distracted with too many details. The night before at Turner's, in jeans and a casual top, she was never more beautiful.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Sobelman's @ Marquette (formerly Angelos) has agreed to host, although they said they will have the booths open to the public which makes me a little nervous, the rest of the restaurant would be ours. No room charge, order off the menu, and barrels of beer at-cost.

Keefe thanks for the update about Turner's. I will still try calling them. I'm not entirely sold on sharing the Angelo's space, even if students are not in session.

I will say, Dave is an excellent dude and very nice guy. Spoke with him on the phone for a while this morning.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »
getting the new $50 Bloody Mary that was on the news last week?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
Sobelman's @ Marquette (formerly Angelos) has agreed to host, although they said they will have the booths open to the public which makes me a little nervous, the rest of the restaurant would be ours. No room charge, order off the menu, and barrels of beer at-cost.

Keefe thanks for the update about Turner's. I will still try calling them. I'm not entirely sold on sharing the Angelo's space, even if students are not in session.

I will say, Dave is an excellent dude and very nice guy. Spoke with him on the phone for a while this morning.

Not sure how that's going to work if you have 60 people and they are keeping the booths for the public...pretty tight space.

You might want to try Broach(just north of Trocadero), nice little irish place.  The other place I like for a gathering like that is The Irish Pub in 3rd Ward.  My wife's PT department has a Christmas party in the upstairs there every year.  Can have a couple of waitresses working the room and do pub food buffet style (pizza, sandwiches, etc)

Rock Bottom on Old World Third might not be a bad place to look into either.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
My wife and I reserved Wisconsin Cheese Mart (now Uber Tap Room) on Old World 3rd in October 2012 on a Friday night. We had about 60 people and got the entire place from about 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. We pre-ordered an assortment of food off their menu for about $500-600 (mostly sandwiches and appetizers) and then had an open bar for two hours. All told with tax and tip, we spent around $1600. They have a great Wisconsin beer selection and the space is nice. Food is pretty good. It was also an ideal location as most of our guests were staying at the Aloft hotel down the block. We were happy with the price and having a pretty unique experience for the rehearsal.

Also, our families enjoy a drink or several and this place still came in about $600 less than I thought it would.

Good luck.

When did that happen?  That's my go to place for MU pre-game.  Hope they still have the humungous pretzels
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Not sure how that's going to work if you have 60 people and they are keeping the booths for the public...pretty tight space.

You might want to try Broach(just north of Trocadero), nice little irish place.  The other place I like for a gathering like that is The Irish Pub in 3rd Ward.  My wife's PT department has a Christmas party in the upstairs there every year.  Can have a couple of waitresses working the room and do pub food buffet style (pizza, sandwiches, etc)

Rock Bottom on Old World Third might not be a bad place to look into either.

We will be closer to 40.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
I read here on Scoop that Turner's closed but has reopened. If you can swing it it is a superlative venue for a relaxed last meal as a free man. The majority of our attendees were from elsewhere and the Friday Fish Fry is such a cultural marker for Milwaukee that it does add to the local color.

The wedding reception was in much more elegant surroundings but I rather preferred the pitchers of beer atmosphere of Turner's. And one thing I noticed is that while my bride was stunning on her day she was distracted with too many details. The night before at Turner's, in jeans and a casual top, she was never more beautiful.

We did Turner Hall, too; right in the middle of the dining room, no less... it was perfect.  Our friends/family from out-of-state also loved it.

If you're doing a "Milwaukee Wedding" (i.e. not just a wedding in Milwaukee), the rehearsal dinner has to be on/around OW3rd.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.