[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Advice for Big East Tournament  (Read 6037 times)

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Advice for Big East Tournament
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
I've gone to quite a few NCAA tournaments at different sites throughout the years and have a good understanding on how to secure tickets, where to stay at different venues, etc.    Have never been to the Big East tournament and it is on the bucket list.  Thinking about going this year with a few fellow MU grads (we are old but still like to have  fun) and am frankly looking for advice from those scoopers who have attended.   (If this belongs in the superbar let me know).    Is it easy to get tickets for all the rounds without buying them in advance?   (I've been to the Big 12 tourney and although sold out it is a piece of cake to get tix from losing teams fans, etc.).   Is it worth going through MU to get tix to sit in the MU fan section?   Does MU typically stay in the same hotel and is that a good place to bunker down for the tourney?   Any MU specific events, etc.?   Any fan specific watering holes for pre and post game fun?   

Any and all advice, feedback, etc. would be welcomed.   I've been to NYC for business but very rarely for vacation.   Thanks in advance and learning from your experiences is much appreciated!

BossplayaOtto

• All American
Re: Advice for Big East Tournament
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:42:59 PM »
I've gone to quite a few NCAA tournaments at different sites throughout the years and have a good understanding on how to secure tickets, where to stay at different venues, etc.    Have never been to the Big East tournament and it is on the bucket list.  Thinking about going this year with a few fellow MU grads (we are old but still like to have  fun) and am frankly looking for advice from those scoopers who have attended.   (If this belongs in the superbar let me know).    Is it easy to get tickets for all the rounds without buying them in advance?   (I've been to the Big 12 tourney and although sold out it is a piece of cake to get tix from losing teams fans, etc.).   Is it worth going through MU to get tix to sit in the MU fan section?   Does MU typically stay in the same hotel and is that a good place to bunker down for the tourney?   Any MU specific events, etc.?   Any fan specific watering holes for pre and post game fun?   

Any and all advice, feedback, etc. would be welcomed.   I've been to NYC for business but very rarely for vacation.   Thanks in advance and learning from your experiences is much appreciated!

Bumping this as I am considering attending the BET with my family of 4 and am looking for advice from veteran attendees. Specifically around purchasing tickets. Is it a must to purchase through Marquette to ensure decent lower bowl seats? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:53:26 AM »
Bumping this as I am considering attending the BET with my family of 4 and am looking for advice from veteran attendees. Specifically around purchasing tickets. Is it a must to purchase through Marquette to ensure decent lower bowl seats? Any and all advice is appreciated.

When I last went about 4-5 years ago you were better off buying from someone outside the game assuming you only want to see Marquette play.  If you want full session tickets, your best bet is probably Marquette.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:40:07 AM »
I'd strongly recommend the StubHub location at 39th & Broadway. It's in the basement of a hotel and I know it sounds dodgy, but we used it for the 2K Classic in 2016 and it worked great.

They have a few computer kiosks you can use to purchase tickets, and people that can help you print them out. Prices tend to drop so the longer you wait the better. MU's price was $75/seat for the 2K. The first day we sat 12th row for $45 combined. I splurged the second day & we sat two rows off the floor at Madison Square Garden for $140. Spent $100+ less than the MU prices and got better seats.

We have since used that kiosk for Broadway shows and used the StubHub app to go to Hamilton in Chicago for cheap (mobile ticket option, purchased seats while we were driving past Gurnee). It's maybe a 15 minute walk to MSG and while I was nervous going in (MUFINY was the one to convince me to head to NYC without tickets) it proved to be a great decision both financially and in terms of getting the best seats.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »
I live in the city and while staying at the team hotel (I have no clue where they stay) would be cool, if you're looking to save a bit of money on your trip - you can do so with a hotel and take the subway around.  There's a subway station right at MSG so its fairly easy to get to.

The Marquette game-viewing bar is Reservoir Bar near Union Square.  However, for gamedays at MSG, the pre and post-game bar is usually Mustang Harry's.

I'd be happy to provide any other recommendations as far as the city goes, but know that can range quite a bit depending on what you're looking for.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
MU has good support at the BET.  My best advice is go to Stubhub. In the later rounds there will be some good seats on there that you can get for attractive prices.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »
What about all-session tickets? Thinking about doing that this year. Should I buy the full set now or try to piece together once I'm in NYC?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
Is there a way to guarantee that MU will win the BET championship?

I hate paying for tickets only to see my team lose!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »

Not legally. I suppose you could try to injure every scholarship player on every other team, but it's risky, illegal, and not very sportsmanlike.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
I have gone the last two years with a group of about 12 Marquette fans/alumni. The team hotel is the Westin in Times Square. It's also been the Xavier hotel the last two years as well, so if you're looking to bump into Wojo and JP Macura, that's the place to do it. Plus, it's about a 15 minute walk to MSG.

We've gotten the ticket packages directly from MU, but you'll have ZERO problem finding tickets for the first two rounds. Stadium is half empty. Semi-finals and finals are more expensive, but you can easily scalp tickets outside the arena. This is NYC, after all.

I wouldn't worry too much about being in the "MU" section. Frankly, whether it's because of team performance, proximity or something else, MU travels very poorly for this tournament. I think only DePaul has brought less fans. Doesn't stop the few MU fans in the building from having a great time though.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »

Tonya Harding knows some people....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
I have gone the last two years with a group of about 12 Marquette fans/alumni. The team hotel is the Westin in Times Square. It's also been the Xavier hotel the last two years as well, so if you're looking to bump into Wojo and JP Macura, that's the place to do it. Plus, it's about a 15 minute walk to MSG.

We've gotten the ticket packages directly from MU, but you'll have ZERO problem finding tickets for the first two rounds. Stadium is half empty. Semi-finals and finals are more expensive, but you can easily scalp tickets outside the arena. This is NYC, after all.

I wouldn't worry too much about being in the "MU" section. Frankly, whether it's because of team performance, proximity or something else, MU travels very poorly for this tournament. I think only DePaul has brought less fans. Doesn't stop the few MU fans in the building from having a great time though.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
I think you will see MU Support up this year do to our performance. When we had competitive teams we had good amount of MU fans at this event. 
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
Nobody goes because we never expect to make the finals even on our good years we've looked pedestrian there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
I wait for the NCAAs before I hit the road for MU.

Would rather be at the real tournament. Something that truly matters.

Been a bit of a wait lately!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »

Missed ya in Greenville...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »

I dunno ... I sat next to Benny and his family in Greenville. That was only 10 months ago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 06:26:15 AM »
I am actually more interested in traveling for this than I would be the early rounds of the NCAA. There's so much to miss when you're at one of four sites playing that day.

Once it gets to the second and third weekends, I'm all in, but I think the BET would be a better experience because I can see all the games I most care about.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
I am actually more interested in traveling for this than I would be the early rounds of the NCAA. There's so much to miss when you're at one of four sites playing that day.

Once it gets to the second and third weekends, I'm all in, but I think the BET would be a better experience because I can see all the games I most care about.
The BET is a fun tournament for the college basketball enthusiast. The thing I like about it is how the crowd at the Garden  is composed of fans from each of the 10 schools.  The participating teams really take the conference tournament seriously.  I  think that intensity is  what makes it a great experience in the  quarters, semi finals and finals. A BET championship actually gives a program real momentum which is why the games are so hard fought.  I would love to see MU get its hands on that trophy.
            ---Al McGuire

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 09:41:54 PM »
This year will be my 10th BE Tourney.  Ive always bought through MU so I didn’t have the hassle of going through the hawkers. I go to every game.  Other than the students, the Garden disperses the seating assignment so there really is no true school sections which makes it pretty cool.  You will meet fans from every school and a lot of locals.

It’s fantastic with loads of things to do in the city.  If you don’t want to use the entire strip of games, it is pretty easy to sell tickets on the street.  Don’t go with any expectation of success for MU.  They just can’t get it done in the Garden.  Enjoy Big East games.  Best tourney in the nation.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Will be the first trip to NYC for my 3 ladies. I’ve been to the city multiple times as I used to work for a company based on Long Island and also visited a few times in my youth.

As such, we will likely only attend the Marquette games & will hit some “must do” attractions to balance out our visit.

Not expecting a deep run, but obviously would love one. We are certainly due.

BET at MSG is bucket list for me. (I’ve attended every other round of the NCAA tourney except the play-in games in Dayton) and they are a lot of fun but I’ve always wanted to attend this.

It’s nice that Semi’s and Finals are at night freeing up the daytime for other activities if/when Marquette keeps advancing.

Would probably try to hit the champ game even if Marquette isn’t in it for the experience. Depending on pricing, I may just grab a single for that one if the Warriors aren’t in it.

Again, appreciate the tips.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 07:31:21 AM »
Nobody goes because we never expect to make the finals even on our good years we've looked pedestrian there.

True. Only time I went was 2013 when we were a 2 seed and got blown out by ND.

We made up for it with the elite 8 though
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »
True. Only time I went was 2013 when we were a 2 seed and got blown out by ND.

We made up for it with the elite 8 though

I won an all inclusive trip to that tournament with my ex girlfriend and was so exited. That was a huge bummer when we lost to the fighting shamrock shakes. Still sitting courtside for the championship game of Ville vs Cuse was unreal.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
Sincere thank you to everyone for the helpful advice!   Trip is booked and we will acquire game tickets there...we all enjoy great hoops so will hit quite a few of the games besides MU.   Will be old, loud, inebriated morons when MU plays.   

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
I've never made in NYC for the BE tournament.  Will have to do that someday.  I think I can count on one hand how many Ws MU has recorded in the quarterfinals or deeper since I've been a fan.

Well, I decided to look.  MU had decent performances my freshman-junior years, but since the 11-12 season, Marquette is 2-7 in the BE tournament.  Yuck.

09: 1-1
10: 2-1
11: 2-1
12: 0-1
13: 0-1
14: 0-1
15: 1-1
16: 1-1
17: 0-1
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback