[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I know I probably shouldn't bring it up...  (Read 2275 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
I know I probably shouldn't bring it up...
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
because everytime it's mentioned we have to endure the same circular debate, but I just couldn't resist.

Taken from ESPN insider Bracket Banter

It's not just UConn and it's not just Syracuse. Check out these nonconference SOS ratings for the Big East:
• Georgetown (No. 319)
• Connecticut (No. 311)
• Syracuse (No. 214)
• Pittsburgh (No. 189)
• Louisville (No. 180)
• St. John's (No. 170)

Only Seton Hall (No. 88), Villanova (No. 40) and Marquette (No. 21) have played top-100 nonconference schedules in the Big East. The conference learned a long time ago that piling up impressive W-L records in nonleague play would inflate everyone's RPI once its members began playing one another. The Big East isn't the only conference guilty of this practice -- most of the so-called "power" leagues do it -- but they certainly have it perfected.

Seems MU has the toughest nonconference schedule in the Big East. I'm not using this as an excuse for the home scheduling, and I'd love to see an Arizona or Wake Forest back in the Bradley, but this offers some perspective.

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: I know I probably shouldn't bring it up...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:28:14 PM »
Wow!  That's amazing!  Our non-conference schedule is ranked number 21?  It cannot be possible that only 20 teams played better non-conference schedules than we did.   We played Texas Tech, Duke, UW and a host of nobodies, though ND State is probably pretty good.  I can't believe only 20 teams did better than that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »
Not sure where he got his numbers (if anyone knows please share), but they don't match up with Ken Pomeroy's RPI or ratings at all.  There Marquette is #176 and #265 respectively.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
espn's insideRPI numbers has MU non-con SOS at 198.  so yeah, lunardi misread something...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »
Besides, most of the "debate" about our non-conference schedule is about the home games that Marquette season ticket holders are asked to pay for. In effect, what they've provided to us in the last 3-4 years is a "gigantic turd" (to use a 4everwarriors phrase) in exchange for our loyalty in purchasing season tickets. But hey, at least we're getting "20 wins."

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »
IMO, NonConference SOS doesn't mean much.  We played a tough enough OOC slate with Texas Tech, Duke and Wisconsin.  By the end of the season our SOS will probably be in the 20-40 range....good enough for me!

At the end of last season our SOS ended up at 22.  Also, Florida's OOC SOS of 253 last year didn't seem to penalize them too much in postseason play.

We definitley don't need to dig up the home OOC schdule debate again but the fact remains that when you play in a conference like the BE there is nothing wrong with padding the win column with some buy games....EVERY major team in America does it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
Besides, most of the "debate" about our non-conference schedule is about the home games that Marquette season ticket holders are asked to pay for. In effect, what they've provided to us in the last 3-4 years is a "gigantic turd" (to use a 4everwarriors phrase) in exchange for our loyalty in purchasing season tickets. But hey, at least we're getting "20 wins."

Do you want a team that competes for a NCAA berth each year or a couple extra solid games?  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

The athletic department has already answered it for you, however, as the additional revenue and exposure from going to the NCAA tournament are far better.

Bear in mind also that last year's team was twice removed from the NCAAs so we were going to schedule down.  This year's team has 3 sophomores and a freshman starting, again we are going to schedule down.

It's a balancing act and as shown in the example of other Big East teams (as well as Pac Ten teams, Big 12 teams and others) it's the way of the world.

feedback