[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Was the Largo Gator Provoked?  (Read 2550 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Was the Largo Gator Provoked?
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:11:24 PM »
Apparently a 14 foot alligator had a human in its mouth and was euthanized.  The human did not make it.  My guess is this alligator wasn't targeting anyone but I suppose wildlife authorities didn't want to take any chances.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Was the Largo Gator Provoked?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 01:44:54 AM »
Does a .44 magnum to the skull count as euthanizing?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 07:47:16 AM »
Does a .44 magnum to the skull count as euthanizing?

That's what they always do.  I wonder what actually happened? 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 08:56:51 AM »
That's what they always do.  I wonder what actually happened?

There is a logical answer here. Gators are territorial apex predators, they saw potential prey, and killed it.

That's how biology works. Gator see, Gator kill.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 09:06:05 AM »
There is a logical answer here. Gators are territorial apex predators, they saw potential prey, and killed it.

That's how biology works. Gator see, Gator kill.

Why was the woman there? 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 09:34:42 AM »
Why was the woman there?

Is this a serious question?

There is a walking trail right where it happened in the middle of a city.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 09:56:25 AM »
Is this a serious question?

There is a walking trail right where it happened in the middle of a city.

Oh....I didn't realize that.  My bad. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 10:22:25 AM »
We used to have a place like less than a mile away from there and golfed at a course like two blocks from there.

There were gators in those ponds all the time. I would imagine she provoked it in some way. Gators are incredibly chill if you just leave them alone.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 01:53:19 PM »
We used to have a place like less than a mile away from there and golfed at a course like two blocks from there.

There were gators in those ponds all the time. I would imagine she provoked it in some way. Gators are incredibly chill if you just leave them alone.

That's always been my impression about alligators.....perhaps there should be a thorough investigation?  Any cameras in the vicinity?  Lethality is generally going to be the consequence of trifling with this species, especially if you are near its chompers.  I'm not saying the woman was at fault but there's a lot we don't know. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 01:58:32 PM »
Oh....I didn't realize that.  My bad.

You started a thread and made accusations before reading about what actually happened?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 02:01:38 PM »
You started a thread and made accusations before reading about what actually happened?

I thought it happened in the pond.  I apologize.  But we still don't know all the facts. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 03:47:50 PM »
Apparently a 14 foot alligator had a human in its mouth and was euthanized.  The human did not make it.  My guess is this alligator wasn't targeting anyone but I suppose wildlife authorities didn't want to take any chances.
More to the story here……

https://nypost.com/2023/09/24/florida-woman-sabrina-peckham-found-in-gators-jaws-was-arrested-for-trespassing-two-months-ago/amp/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 05:14:44 PM »
That's always been my impression about alligators.....perhaps there should be a thorough investigation?  Any cameras in the vicinity?  Lethality is generally going to be the consequence of trifling with this species, especially if you are near its chompers.  I'm not saying the woman was at fault but there's a lot we don't know.

Thoughts and prayers. For the alligator of course. And the woman? She had it coming. The "thorough" investigation should be conducted by Congress.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 05:33:35 PM »

They are incredibly chill... until they're not. It's excessively rare that they're not but it does happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2023, 05:38:20 PM »

I got to believe that was a hungry gator.
Why wouldn't they be opportunist?
If you are available and it is hungry and it can take you down, what is to stop them.

I had seen some incredibly large gators in a nature reserve on an island near Charleston SC when doing a sea kayaking/camping getaway.
There was no way I was getting within 100 feet of them. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2023, 07:48:24 PM »
I got to believe that was a hungry gator.
Why wouldn't they be opportunist?
If you are available and it is hungry and it can take you down, what is to stop them.

I had seen some incredibly large gators in a nature reserve on an island near Charleston SC when doing a sea kayaking/camping getaway.
There was no way I was getting within 100 feet of them.

Again, I do not know all the facts.  Maybe the alligator was hungry, provoked, or snapped for some unknown reason.  Maybe he/she was startled, had some anxiety, or simply had a bad day.  But you make a very valid point:   the most basic human response when encountering a animal of this power, size, and bite force is to tread lightly a.k.a. give them space.  Now it is conceivable this gator was famished and ran her down but that seems pretty unlikely.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 07:50:04 PM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2023, 07:52:53 PM »
Well, the gator and the dinner aren't talking.  Unless they can find evidence that the woman had been attacked by a human and left either in or near the water, the conclusion will be the gator attacked.  It is what they do.   The 3 year old at Disney certainly didn't provoke the gators or deserve to be eaten.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2023, 08:02:40 PM »
Well, the gator and the dinner aren't talking.  Unless they can find evidence that the woman had been attacked by a human and left either in or near the water, the conclusion will be the gator attacked.  It is what they do.   The 3 year old at Disney certainly didn't provoke the gators or deserve to be eaten.

It's being investigated but I'm not sure what exactly that entails.  3 year olds are of course innocent when it comes to these rare situations.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2023, 08:09:32 PM »
It's being investigated but I'm not sure what exactly that entails.  3 year olds are of course innocent when it comes to these rare situations.

3 year olds innocent. Homeless people who trespassed one time, apparently deserved to be eaten.

Seriously, the tragedy here is a person died. Nothing else in the story mattered.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2023, 08:11:08 PM »
Yes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »
3 year olds innocent. Homeless people who trespassed one time, apparently deserved to be eaten.

Seriously, the tragedy here is a person died. Nothing else in the story mattered.

I didn't say "she deserved to be eaten" but obviously there's a major distinction between a 3 year old child and an adult understanding  their surroundings  and certain dangers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2023, 09:43:44 PM »
Gator in a smoker tastes like chicken.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2023, 10:10:40 PM »
Gator in a smoker tastes like chicken.
Gator does taste like a slightly chewier version of chicken. It’s delicious.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2023, 10:22:36 PM »
I didn't say "she deserved to be eaten" but obviously there's a major distinction between a 3 year old child and an adult understanding  their surroundings  and certain dangers.

You STILL cannot bring yourself to focus on the deaths of humans for even one single moment, can you? Jeezus, Muggsy, stop being the attorney for the alligator long enough to say something more than the need for adults regarding "understanding their surroundings and certain dangers". Twenty four posts in and you cannot do it. To use one of your favorite words, inexcusable.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 10:24:43 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 06:13:51 AM »
You STILL cannot bring yourself to focus on the deaths of humans for even one single moment, can you? Jeezus, Muggsy, stop being the attorney for the alligator long enough to say something more than the need for adults regarding "understanding their surroundings and certain dangers". Twenty four posts in and you cannot do it. To use one of your favorite words, inexcusable.

Is there a rule that I have to focus more on human deaths than other species?  I focus on humans as well but each situation is different.  I will admit that in most Buffalo/human confrontations I root for the 🐃..  I suppose I'm a little biased with a lot of these stories. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2023, 09:05:40 AM »
I tried fried gator for the first time last weekend.  I'm not a seafood fan so it wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't the worst seafood I've had.  Worth frying them to keep them from murdering humans.  My final verdict is eat more gators so the gators don't eat you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
Gator does taste like a slightly chewier version of chicken. It’s delicious.

I thought it tastes more like a cross between Califonia Condor and Spotted Owl.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2023, 01:44:41 PM »
Is there a rule that I have to focus more on human deaths than other species?  I focus on humans as well but each situation is different.  I will admit that in most Buffalo/human confrontations I root for the 🐃..  I suppose I'm a little biased wacko with a lot of these stories.

FIFY

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »
Is there a rule that I have to focus more on human deaths than other species?  I focus on humans as well but each situation is different.  I will admit that in most Buffalo/human confrontations I root for the 🐃..  I suppose I'm a little biased with a lot of these stories.
But yet, you still eat animal flesh

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2023, 04:06:31 PM »
But yet, you still eat animal flesh

Meat is murder!......tasty, tasty murder.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2023, 05:02:43 PM »
Didn’t claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2023, 07:17:07 PM »
FIFY

This is a bit harsh.  There are many advocates for alligators and other members of our tremendous animal kingdom.   I was just curious why he/she presumably snapped. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2023, 07:35:56 PM »
It is in the gator's nature to do so.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2023, 07:53:54 PM »
It is in the gator's nature to do so.

This is fairly unusual Tower.  As others have pointed out they're actually rather chill with the human population.  If they weren't we would see many, many, many, more incidents like this one.  It's when they are fed or trifled  with where they become dangerous. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 07:55:27 PM by MuggsyB »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2023, 08:00:41 PM »
The gator that was in our back yard was pretty chill.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2023, 08:01:50 PM »
Or maybe she was sleeping on the ground.   In that scenario, she is just another manageably small mammal to eat.   Or scooping water to drink.   Anything that would make her seem small enough to be managed.

Unless their is video, it is unlikely we will ever be certain.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2023, 08:16:22 PM »
Or maybe she was sleeping on the ground.   In that scenario, she is just another manageably small mammal to eat.   Or scooping water to drink.   Anything that would make her seem small enough to be managed.

Unless their is video, it is unlikely we will ever be certain.

Your theory is possible but not particularly plausible. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2023, 08:51:42 PM »
What would you think of a gator that attacked a manatee?  Who would you root for?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2023, 09:18:42 PM »
What would you think of a gator that attacked a manatee?  Who would you root for?
Next Gen Kong vs Godzilla

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2023, 11:10:48 PM »

It's extremely rare for a gator to bite a manatee, let alone attack.    In this unlikely hypothetical scenario I would root for the manatee.  I believe manatees have been misunderstood and are in some trouble as a species. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2023, 05:00:32 AM »
It's extremely rare for a gator to bite a manatee, let alone attack.    In this unlikely hypothetical scenario I would root for the manatee.  I believe manatees have been misunderstood and are in some trouble as a species.

Manatees wouldn’t be in this situation if they just focused

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2023, 05:32:11 AM »

Well, if it’s rare or unlikely, that would seem to suggest that the manatee trifled with or provoked the gator. So, it had it coming. These things don’t happen unless the gator is provoked.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2023, 08:51:09 AM »

Surf and turf.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2023, 09:04:13 AM »
Well, if it’s rare or unlikely, that would seem to suggest that the manatee trifled with or provoked the gator. So, it had it coming. These things don’t happen unless the gator is provoked.

I was simply thinking out loud and asked a question to begin this thread. Now you and others are just being silly.  The fact is the numbers are like 1 in 3 million for a gator to bite a human.  This unfortunate event is more like 1 in 100 million.  So therefore it's perfectly reasonable to ask about what happened. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2023, 10:33:01 AM »
442 between 1948 and 2021.   26 deaths.  One fatal attack roughly every 3 years.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2023, 12:35:00 PM »
😱
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:37:40 PM by real chili 83 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2023, 12:38:59 PM »
I was simply thinking out loud and asked a question to begin this thread. Now you and others are just being silly.  The fact is the numbers are like 1 in 3 million for a gator to bite a human.  This unfortunate event is more like 1 in 100 million.  So therefore it's perfectly reasonable to ask about what happened.

What are the numbers for a gator to bite a manatee? If it's rare -- as you yourself stated -- isn't it perfectly reasonable to ask about what happened? How the manatee provoked the attack?

The reason you get pushback on this issue is because all your perfectly reasonable questions after animal attacks follow a common pattern. Earlier, you were asked, "Who would you root for?" Over an extended period of time, you've made it abundantly clear who you would root for in pretty much every animal/human interaction. It's predictable enough at this point that it's become a punchline. We're just having some fun with you.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2023, 01:20:14 PM »

Winter of '96 was extremely cold. Our team attended a seminar in Tampa at a golf course resort whose name I can't recall. All the rooms  were ground level with outdoor entry. One evening the temperature dropped to 28 degrees which was a low temperature record at the time. The next morning when I opened the door to my room to go down to the conference center not one but two gators raced right past me into my room I imagine to get warm. They were small gators about 3 to 4 feet but they sure scared the crap out of me. I called security from my co-workers phone in the next room to make sure house keeping was aware that they should not enter my room.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2023, 02:24:51 PM »
What are the numbers for a gator to bite a manatee? If it's rare -- as you yourself stated -- isn't it perfectly reasonable to ask about what happened? How the manatee provoked the attack?

The reason you get pushback on this issue is because all your perfectly reasonable questions after animal attacks follow a common pattern. Earlier, you were asked, "Who would you root for?" Over an extended period of time, you've made it abundantly clear who you would root for in pretty much every animal/human interaction. It's predictable enough at this point that it's become a punchline. We're just having some fun with you.

Okay.  I have admitted I am biased in most of these confrontations. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2023, 03:32:43 PM »
Winter of '96 was extremely cold. Our team attended a seminar in Tampa at a golf course resort whose name I can't recall. All the rooms  were ground level with outdoor entry. One evening the temperature dropped to 28 degrees which was a low temperature record at the time. The next morning when I opened the door to my room to go down to the conference center not one but two gators raced right past me into my room I imagine to get warm. They were small gators about 3 to 4 feet but they sure scared the crap out of me. I called security from my co-workers phone in the next room to make sure house keeping was aware that they should not enter my room.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2023, 06:44:48 PM »
That is a great story.