[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wally Ellenson Track Eligibility  (Read 1708 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Wally Ellenson Track Eligibility
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
Will Wally Ellenson be elgible to compete in track and field this year. We know he will have to sit out a year in basketball.

Would be nice for him to be able to work toward the 2016 Olympics in the High Jump

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Wally Ellenson Track Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »
Will Wally Ellenson be elgible to compete in track and field this year. We know he will have to sit out a year in basketball.

Would be nice for him to be able to work toward the 2016 Olympics in the High Jump

I'd point you to Section 14.5.1 of the D-I Manual re: the Residence Requirement.

"A student who transfers (see Bylaw 14.5.2) to a member institution from any collegiate institution is required to complete one full academic year of residence (see Bylaw 14.02.15) at the certifying institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive travel expenses from the member institution (see Bylaw 16.8.1), unless the student satisfies the applicable transfer requirements or qualifies for an exception as set forth in this bylaw.

I'm not aware of any unique exceptions available for T&F that are not available for bball in Wally's case. That is, I'd expect that he won't be competing in either sport, but will be working with his team(s) and coaches.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:49 AM »
I'd point you to Section 14.5.1 of the D-I Manual re: the Residence Requirement.

I'm not aware of any unique exceptions available for T&F that are not available for bball in Wally's case. That is, I'd expect that he won't be competing in either sport, but will be working with his team(s) and coaches.

My understanding is the same, he is a red-shirt in both sports.

That said, their is nothing to stop him from competing in professional and USATF track meetings starting at anytime (competing under the guidelines of maintaining his NCAA eligibility like others still in college do).

Their was big track meet in Lausanne Switzerland on Thursday (and another in Paris today that is expected to draw 75,000 fans).  One of the highlights of Lausanne was two high jumpers that are having great years are closing in on the 21 year old high-jump WR of 8-0.5 (both have jumped 7-11 this year).  One attempted 8-1, the first time that has been tried in 20 years.  Wally's numbers might have gotten him an invite if he was interested despite his red-shirt status.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:35:09 AM by Heisenberg »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »

It may be possible to qualify for the waiver for track if Minnesota agrees to waive the one year rule. The Marquette Track and Field press release was kind of vague in that regard , so maybe something is in the works.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »
It may be possible to qualify for the waiver for track if Minnesota agrees to waive the one year rule. The Marquette Track and Field press release was kind of vague in that regard , so maybe something is in the works.

Minnesota can't waive the one year in residency requirement.

*IF* a student transferring from one member institution to another is eligible for a one-time transfer exception (which Wally is not), then a *REQUIREMENT* is that the former institution must OK, in writing, that it has no objection to an exception being granted.

Not applicable here.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.