[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wake Forest buys arena for $8M  (Read 1323 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Wake Forest buys arena for $8M
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9530181/wake-forest-demon-deacons-buy-joel-coliseum-8-million

With the arena debate ongoing in Milwaukee, I found this interesting. I wonder if such an arrangement would be available or feasible for MU, assuming a new arena is built.

Benny B

• All American
Re: Wake Forest buys arena for $8M
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
Two major distinctions here:

1) The Joel is a basketball-oriented arena.  It's old and in desperate need of updating, but still, it was at the 2007 game-which-should-not-be-named that I first said to myself, "this is what MU needs... a dedicated basketball arena."
2) Though on the outskirts & across University Pkwy, the Joel is still considered to be "on-campus" at WF.

In other words, I don't think MU would be keen on the idea of purchasing a multi-purpose arena that is a couple miles from campus... so a comparable option doesn't exist for MU.  Though even if you could get around that, consider:

Auburn built their 9,000+ seat arena in 2011 for under $100M.
SLU built their 10,000+ seat arena in 2008 for $80M.
The City of Evansville built the 11,500-seat Ford Center in 2011 for $127M.
Nebraska will open their 16,000-seat publicly-funded wet dream this year at a cost of $180M+.

There's nothing like being at a college hoops game in a true basketball arena.  If you've been to the Joyce, Pavillion, etc., you know what I'm talking about.  The BC simply cannot duplicate that kind of atmosphere.  Not to mention, I think something like that would drastically add to MU's "home-court advantage."  I can't wait to watch MU play at Hinkle this year... despite Stevens' departure, that game should still be electric.

Assuming that MU could build a decent, 12,000 -14,000 seat basketball arena for $100-150M, I would rather MU commit that kind of money to building its own arena than spending even the $10-15M necessary just to renovate the BC.  I wouldn't even take the Arena if they offered to give it away.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Re: Wake Forest buys arena for $8M
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
I like having beers with old college friends at the games.  For that reason, I will always prefer I share an arena with the Bucks.

feedback