Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka interview  (Read 5110 times)

tower912

• All American
Shaka interview
« on: April 29, 2024, 10:56:25 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvv2SKqWDXY

Skip ahead to 13:31 to get Shaka's take on the portal.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
Re: Shaka interview
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 11:00:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 03:55:45 PM »
Interviewer asked a few question what Shaka thought about several items in just a several words. In response to the portal, he said “stay out of it”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 03:56:09 PM »
NIL?

"Good."

Transfer portal?

"Stay out of it."

Sums it up pretty well. Thanks for posting, tower.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 04:05:51 PM »
I wonder when this interview was actually conducted.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:09:14 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 04:08:41 PM »
I wonder when this interview was actually cobducted.
Seems like December-ish  from some of his comments?

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 04:12:15 PM »
Shaka's comments at the end regarding the Stockdale Paradox, the subject of the interviewer's doctoral thesis, and its application to Harriet Tubman once again shows that Shaka has a lot going on in the coconut. Shaka is the most erudite MU men's basketball coach that I can remember.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 05:01:01 PM »
Zero ambiguity there.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 05:08:18 PM »
Marquette’s lucky to have him, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 05:11:45 PM »
Most erudite Marquette coach… hands down Kevin O’Neil. His mastery of the “f” bomb is second to none.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 05:12:34 PM »
...'mother' was only half a word...

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 05:37:53 PM »
Most erudite Marquette coach… hands down Kevin O’Neil. His mastery of the “f” bomb is second to none.

He “worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master.”

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 07:55:44 PM »
He “worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master.”

Well done

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2024, 09:49:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvv2SKqWDXY

Skip ahead to 13:31 to get Shaka's take on the portal.
For some reason, I still don’t think that scoopers will believe him.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM »
For some reason, I still don’t think that scoopers will believe him.

Even though his answer regarding transfers essentially eliminates getting "a Kolek replacement", "a 7' big guy who can shoot and rebound", a player who can "improve the team" and keep Marquette from becoming "mediocre" with "stubborn" Shaka as our coach, they will drool over every player in the portal and believe that Shaka will come to his sense, admit he made a mistake, and see the wisdom of their suggestions.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Zog from Margo

• Starter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 03:22:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1785354412283568622/video/2

Glad they included the video because looking at that font, I felt like the Providence fans were saying that it was me and not Tyler that couldn't read.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 04:11:58 PM »
Even though his answer regarding transfers essentially eliminates getting "a Kolek replacement", "a 7' big guy who can shoot and rebound", a player who can "improve the team" and keep Marquette from becoming "mediocre" with "stubborn" Shaka as our coach, they will drool over every player in the portal and believe that Shaka will come to his sense, admit he made a mistake, and see the wisdom of their suggestions.

If Shaka didn't believe in the portal, his first year record would have been like 3-26 or something. We would have been starting assorted Wojo leftovers and maybe a walk-on or two. Instead, we had a team that made the NCAA because of the portal.

I give Coach Shaka credit because he keeps his word. He recruits young men who are going to improve and grow into a major role with MU. He can go to a HS senior and tell them with authority what his plan for them might be, how they fit into being an MU winner and they can feel confident they won't be over-recruited in the portal.

Can Bruce Pearl say that? Nate Oats or Danny Hurley?

Ultimate issue is whether the HS senior choosing Marquette will get us to the promised land. I'm still excited about Al Amadou but I still sometimes wonder why he didn't enter the portal, given last year's playing time. I trust Coach Shaka has a plan!

Dean Smith didn't take transfers either. It took awhile, but look what happened!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 04:24:08 PM »
Even just 3 years ago, the portal was dramatically different. NIL wasn't a thing yet, and a player couldn't transfer multiple times in his career without sitting out.

And obviously, the Marquette basketball situation was vastly different than it is today. Shaka took over in late-March, when pretty much every high school recruit had committed somewhere. Shaka had to quickly re-recruit the returning players and had to bring in bodies to fill out the roster. That two of them were multiple-year players TK and OMax - two sophs-to-be who had yet to blossom as college players - helped create the successful program we currently have.

It's like comparing apples and kumquats.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 04:43:38 PM »
If Shaka didn't believe in the portal, his first year record would have been like 3-26 or something. We would have been starting assorted Wojo leftovers and maybe a walk-on or two. Instead, we had a team that made the NCAA because of the portal.

I give Coach Shaka credit because he keeps his word. He recruits young men who are going to improve and grow into a major role with MU. He can go to a HS senior and tell them with authority what his plan for them might be, how they fit into being an MU winner and they can feel confident they won't be over-recruited in the portal.

Can Bruce Pearl say that? Nate Oats or Danny Hurley?

Ultimate issue is whether the HS senior choosing Marquette will get us to the promised land. I'm still excited about Al Amadou but I still sometimes wonder why he didn't enter the portal, given last year's playing time. I trust Coach Shaka has a plan!

Dean Smith didn't take transfers either. It took awhile, but look what happened!

I really thought that Al Amadou would transfer out with as little PT that he had. The fact that he did not is a tribute to Shaka.

The only part of your post that I have trouble with is the bolded, as Shaka's first year was a one-time exception (even though he just completed season #3). C'mon dgies!  ;D Jeez! Cut me a little slack, will ya?

Even if the interview that Tower posted about was some time ago, Shaka has made his M.O. very clear repeatedly, yet so many scoopers still argue he should go into the portal for a "starter level" player- a big, a PG, whatever. Is it really that difficult to understand how that would play out with the guys who bought into Shaka's system?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2024, 07:05:15 PM »
Even just 3 years ago, the portal was dramatically different. NIL wasn't a thing yet, and a player couldn't transfer multiple times in his career without sitting out.

And obviously, the Marquette basketball situation was vastly different than it is today. Shaka took over in late-March, when pretty much every high school recruit had committed somewhere. Shaka had to quickly re-recruit the returning players and had to bring in bodies to fill out the roster. That two of them were multiple-year players TK and OMax - two sophs-to-be who had yet to blossom as college players - helped create the successful program we currently have.

It's like comparing apples and kumquats.
The first year Shaka did not have any of his players he recruited, so he was not over recruiting them with portal players.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM »
Hey guys got any vids from 2001?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 08:05:35 AM »
The only part of your post that I have trouble with is the bolded, as Shaka's first year was a one-time exception (even though he just completed season #3). C'mon dgies!  ;D Jeez! Cut me a little slack, will ya?

Brother Snoop:

First off, I have nothing but admiration for Coach Shaka. He's an incredible man, an incredible coach and someone I truly look up to.

On the portal, you  won't see Coach Shaka do what he did in Year 1. We know that. I'll be the first to say, Coach Shaka has confidence in his players and stands with them. But I'm also suggesting that if there was a five-star, proven collegian who had an interest in Marquette and Coach Shaka's culture and that five-star could be the difference between a good team and another 1977, do you really think Coach Shaka would "stay out of it?"

That's a bit of extreme, I know, but I suspect Coach Shaka would find a way. In reality, I think that's about what it's going to take. I suspect the team would be good with it, if the transfer bought into the idea of Relationships, Growth and Victory.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 08:06:33 AM »
Before hearing this interview, I was discussing Shaka’s portal philosophy with a friend.

The theory I posited is that this goes beyond simply Shaka’s genuine belief in portal transfers, which I have little doubt he 100% believes in, but also goes to branding for his program.

This is a new era in college sports with NIL and coaches / programs are trying to find their identity in the new NIL world order. Shaka is branding his program as a unique place where kids who stick with the program will be rewarded. He brands his program as a place where the reward for being part of the whole, and part of a genuine family, is always much greater than any individual reward or short term gain.

Marquette apparently has decent (comparatively above average) NIL support. Most high majors have NIL support. Some more than Marquette, some less. So how do you stand out in that environment? 

You create a unique program unlike any other, where families and their kids can have faith that they won’t be “over recruited” by the next big thing in the portal, but where, instead, they will be rewarded (both in NIL and otherwise) for their loyalty to the program and their commitment to something larger than themselves. Where growth, personally, professionally, and in basketball, of each player through the course of their career is a stated priority backed by more than just words, but evidence in the way of actions and track record.

Right now, Marquette—with no portal activity in or out this year, and limited portal activity last year—arguably is the only high major program that can truly lay claim to that mantle. It is unique. It helps Marquette stand out.

And, when I heard Shaka say “…so you can tell those high school coaches that if they have promising young guys who want to run through a wall for their teammates, send them our way.” (14:13), I immediately thought, that’s the brand he is creating.

Find a space and fill it where there is a void. Shaka and Marquette are doing that now with their approach to the portal. Time will tell whether it is the right approach.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:09:01 AM by MUCam »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 08:49:49 AM »
Dgies, I'm glad we have Shaka's first season "portaling" out of the conversation.

About your hypothetical 5 star...I read that as a HS recruit, not a portal transfer. I think almost any 5-star freshman is focused on his NBA prospects before he even shows up at his chosen college. I cannot imagine a 5-star coming to MU when schools like UK, Duke, KU, Arizona etc. will give him plenty of PT to show off for the NBA scouts.

Before going further, those who question whether Shaka's style will result in success long term are asking a valid question. I think the answer is yes, but readily acknowledge the validity of their arguments that sometimes going to the portal is essential. I simply disagree with that argument.

My belief is that mixing Shaka's stated M.O. with a "starter-level" portal transfer occasionally is kryptonite. I could see a rare exception if we have a gaping hole due to a starter transferring out without a strong back up for his position, but Shaka's system is specifically designed to have a "next man up". I could also see the possibility of a transfer perhaps #8-9 on the bench. Then I could see "the team being good with it", but again...this would be an exception, not a variation in Shaka's M.O.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:54:33 AM by Scoop Snoop »