collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35468 times)

copious1218

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #350 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »
Because I hadn't watched much of either team at all.  In fact, I'm not sure I watched a single inning of the Mets prior to the post season.  The Mets didn't get hot at "the right time..." the Mets got hot...for the entire 2nd half of the season.  It's pretty evident to anyone who watched the Post Season that the 2 best teams in baseball are still playing.

The Cubs right now are built like the 2011 Brewers.  One stud ace (Arietta/Greinke), one overrated "ace" (Lester/Gallardo - relax, I know Lester is better than Gallardo, but he's still not a true shut down ace like the Mets #2, or #3), and then not a lot beyond that.  Offensively they like to hit home runs and hit more home runs.  That is great for the regular season and a very fun brand of baseball, but when it gets down to the cold weather of October and going up against real aces every night (like the Brewers did in the 2011 NLCS and the Cubs did in the 2015 NLCS) it's not a winning brand of baseball.

Once the Postseason begins, it comes down to whose starting pitchers can shorten the bullpen and whose bullpen can close out the game, not whose offense can mash.  It's why you saw the Blue Jays and the Cubs both lose to the Mets and the Royals.  Would anybody argue that the Royals could put up bigger offensive numbers than the Blue Jays or that the Mets could put up bigger offensive numbers than the Cubs?  Nope.  But those 2 teams can shut down offenses while the Cubs and the Jays couldn't.

Again, the Cubs never led in the series.  The Cubs were only even tied one time past the 1st inning, and not once after the 4th inning.  If people really think that the Mets just happened to "get hot" so be it.  But the Mets are playing in the World Series and had a few extra days to rest up thanks to big boy-ing the Cubs.

Since the trade deadline the Mets were 37-22 and the Cubs were 42-18, so if the Mets got "hot for the entire second half of the season" what were the Cubs? 

Listen, the Mets were by far the better team for those 5 days.  Murphy was unstoppable and their pitching was dominant.  I'm confident if they played another seven game series, the Mets would likely win.  But, if you are going to say that the Mets are by far the better team, thank you for acknowledging it is based solely on watching that series since you hadn't watched much of either team before that. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 26, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »
Following the paradigm, look for the team with the shorter lay-off to win the world series.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #352 on: October 26, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »
Since the trade deadline the Mets were 37-22 and the Cubs were 42-18, so if the Mets got "hot for the entire second half of the season" what were the Cubs? 

Listen, the Mets were by far the better team for those 5 days.  Murphy was unstoppable and their pitching was dominant.  I'm confident if they played another seven game series, the Mets would likely win.  But, if you are going to say that the Mets are by far the better team, thank you for acknowledging it is based solely on watching that series since you hadn't watched much of either team before that.

Yes, the Cubs were hot.  Which is exactly why I thought they would win a close series.  In October, it's the team with the most momentum that typically wins.  By the Championship Series, you have 2 hot teams, so it comes down to who is better.  Again, the Cubs are built for August success, the Mets are built for October success.  If these 2 teams played each other 7 more times in August, maybe the Cubs miss deGrom and Syndegaard and maybe Harvey is shut down and Matz is still in the minors, so maybe they go 7-0 again.  But if they play 7 more best of 7 series in October, I'd put money on the Mets to win at least 6 of those 7 series.

Just my personal opinion.  Wasn't hard to see given that the Mets swept them in convincing fashion and never trailed for a single pitch in the series.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
The Mets were clearly a better team, if for no other reason than rotation depth. It's everything. Beyond that though, they have a better constructed, and more complete roster overall. That manifested itself in every aspect of the game (pitching, defense, and offense). it was about much more than getting hot. they were nowhere near a finished product this year. That was obvious to anyone not blinded by cub love all season long (Arrieta's year, and good offense can mask a lot of warts in the regular season. Fewer places to hide come playoff time).

Theo knows it, talked about it, and and has the offseason to continue the process they've been following and address it. It's been the plan all along and nothing should change. If it was simply about getting hot, there obviously wouldn't be much reason go out and make the (significant) moves Theo has talked about, that they are clearly going to be making this offseason.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »
Schwarber was the main difference but if you look at the overall lineup composition and how the Cubs performed once he became a regular the last two months of the season the offensive performance was night and day.  The Cubs were fairly mediocre offensively through July. 

And I knew going into the series that those 7 games meant nothing.

Was Schwarber really the difference or did the team, as a whole, just get hot down the stretch and he happened to be on the roster?

On July 21-22, Schwarber had 6 hits over 2 games to raise his average to .429. From that point on, his splits were .205/.333/.432. He hit 13 HRs and he struck out 65 times in 190 ABs. Those are Adam Dunn-like numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a stud hitter but lost in the hot start and long HRs was the fact that his numbers were pretty ugly for an extended period down the stretch.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #355 on: October 27, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
Yes, the Cubs were hot.  Which is exactly why I thought they would win a close series.  In October, it's the team with the most momentum that typically wins.  By the Championship Series, you have 2 hot teams, so it comes down to who is better.  Again, the Cubs are built for August success, the Mets are built for October success.  If these 2 teams played each other 7 more times in August, maybe the Cubs miss deGrom and Syndegaard and maybe Harvey is shut down and Matz is still in the minors, so maybe they go 7-0 again.  But if they play 7 more best of 7 series in October, I'd put money on the Mets to win at least 6 of those 7 series.

Just my personal opinion.  Wasn't hard to see given that the Mets swept them in convincing fashion and never trailed for a single pitch in the series.

It is your personal opinion and we aren't going to agree so I'm not looking to restart the discussion but the Cubs beat DeGrom twice this year, Syndergaard once (granted his first start), as well as a game Harvey started.  Arrieta and Lester did not pitch well in the two games they started and thus the lack of rotation depth couldn't get the ball back in their hands for games 5 and 6.  To say if the teams played again that the Cubs could not have won games 1 and/or two behind Lester and Arrieta is silly. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2015, 09:14:23 AM »
Was Schwarber really the difference or did the team, as a whole, just get hot down the stretch and he happened to be on the roster?

On July 21-22, Schwarber had 6 hits over 2 games to raise his average to .429. From that point on, his splits were .205/.333/.432. He hit 13 HRs and he struck out 65 times in 190 ABs. Those are Adam Dunn-like numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a stud hitter but lost in the hot start and long HRs was the fact that his numbers were pretty ugly for an extended period down the stretch.

It's true that Schwarber went through a prolonged slump like most rookies do, although you can see that the OBP and slugging percentage were still solid during that period.  Overall he lengthened the lineup and when September came Maddon had even more options to use with that extended roster.  Maybe he wasn't the main factor in the offensive improvement (Bryant and Fowler were on fire the last two months, Castro was unreal in September, Russell improved, etc.) but he definitely had a significant impact.   

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 28, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Fantastic game last night.  Stuck with it through the end though it meant just 4 hours sleep last night.  Inside the park homer was an obvious error on a fairly routine play.  Gordon's homer was as clutch a clutch gets.  I think this series is going to go 6 or 7 and be a great one.  I thought I didn't have much rooting interest, but it turns out I still remember 1986 and want the Mets to lose and suffer every chance they get.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »
Fantastic game last night.  Stuck with it through the end though it meant just 4 hours sleep last night.  Inside the park homer was an obvious error on a fairly routine play.  Gordon's homer was as clutch a clutch gets.  I think this series is going to go 6 or 7 and be a great one.  I thought I didn't have much rooting interest, but it turns out I still remember 1986 and want the Mets to lose and suffer every chance they get.

Last night's game was spectacular.  It's going to be a great WS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #359 on: October 28, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
Fox's production abilities..... yeeeeesh. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
I assume you're referencing the TV outage(s).  Fox delivery is bad for a number of reasons but I don't think the outage was their doing.  Both Time Warner and Google Fiber went out (IP and cable) in a pretty large footprint from downtown through 6 miles south (my house), if not the market, during the National Anthem and didn't come back on until the end of the 1st. 

MASS panic in KC - as i was frantically trying to find an AM radio my neighbor across the street was on his front porch yelling "Finigan, are you down too?"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
Baseball at its finest.  This is going to be a great series.  Two teams that play the game how it was meant to be played.  Build around pitching, play solid defense, put the ball in play.

I used to not like the Mets at all, but they are really fun to watch.  And other than Yost, I really like KC.  Whoever wins, this is a win in my book.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »
Yeah, just a great game to watch.  Really fun.  Should be a great series.  Hopefully this keeps up, and as someone with no rooting interest, I hope it goes 7.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 28, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
One of the people I live with is from New York and a huge mets fan. Thought I may have had to hide the knives after last night.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #364 on: October 28, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
Baseball at its finest.  This is going to be a great series.  Two teams that play the game how it was meant to be played.  Build around pitching, play solid defense, put the ball in play.

Didn't realize you were a Cardinals fan

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 28, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »
Didn't realize you were a Cardinals fan

Hah.  I don't care if a player drops an F bomb when he strikes out or pimps a home run (because Albert Pooholes never did that  ::) ), I mean the actual execution of the game.  Very few errors (although both teams did have key defensive lapses last night), very few strike outs, very good pitching.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
deGrom, Syndergaard, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler starting 5 next year. Way too early to say, but if they stay healthy and stay together that could be the best pitching rotation ever.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
deGrom, Syndergaard, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler starting 5 next year. Way too early to say, but if they stay healthy and stay together that could be the best pitching rotation ever.

The Braves started three Hall of Famers for a number of years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
The Braves started three Hall of Famers for a number of years.

Yup. It's way too early but (huge) if these guys stay healthy there could definitely be 3 of them in the HOF when it's all said and done and the 4 and 5 starters will be better than what the Braves had.

But if these guys do all pan out that means they're all $20+M/year guys so that means they don't all stay with the Mets. Just really dang impressive what they have right now.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2015, 08:16:38 AM »
Maybe.  But i think we're seeing that with too many innings, a mediocre D, streaky hitting and a very unreliable bullpen that HOF lineup can only get you so far. 

If they don't fix the above they aren't going to return to the playoffs next year then free agency (admittedly I don't know their contract specifics), and the unfortunate injury or two, and "best ever" turns to "if only..."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »

Fox is one of the best at sports, if not the best.  Power outages beyond their control

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
Fox is one of the best at sports, if not the best.  Power outages beyond their control
I was impressed with how they handled the news about Volquez's father passing away.  It's always good to see the right thing done.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
Well, the fact that both Harvey and Matz have both already recovered from TJ (and they will get Wheeler back from TJ next season) may skew that in the Mets favor.  They have already endured the injuries.  Doesn't mean it won't happen again, but they've already gotten through it.

deGrom also has already had Tommy John surgery.  Syndergaard is the only pitcher in that rotation who has not had it.

I think the biggest issue the Mets have is their bullpen hasn't been great.  Their starting pitchers are clearly the better starters in this series, but when you get into the 8th inning with the lead you have to close the game out in the World Series.  The Mets have failed to do so twice, and instead of being up 3-1 they are down 3-1 as a result.

The Royals just put pressure on you by putting the ball in play.  While everyone else in the Playoffs has struck out a ton against the Mets, the Royals have been able to put the ball on the infield and have made the Mets pay for a couple of key defensive miscues.  They did it to the Jays, too.

If anybody is built to run off 3 straight it's the Mets with Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard.  Whatever happens it's been a fun October.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:38:05 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
Harvey showing up big tonight.