collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35546 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2015, 12:06:54 PM »
It is unlikely, but I would not give up on the Cubs just yet.  I hate the pitching matchup for them tonight, but if they can find a way to win, they have fully-rested Lester and extra-rested Arrieta for games 5 and 6, and if it ever gets to game 7, given their recent history of choking, Mets will be awfully tight.

First things first, gotta find a way to win tonight.  Need to score early and take a lead for a change.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
I don't see them closing out the series at Wrigley. Probably mets in 6.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
Boras client.  They typically don't do extensions before free agency.

I'm well aware, although a number of his clients have signed extensions prior to free agency.  If the Cubs present an offer that Arrieta deems fair and he wants to stay here he'll sign. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »
It is unlikely, but I would not give up on the Cubs just yet.  I hate the pitching matchup for them tonight, but if they can find a way to win, they have fully-rested Lester and extra-rested Arrieta for games 5 and 6, and if it ever gets to game 7, given their recent history of choking, Mets will be awfully tight.

First things first, gotta find a way to win tonight.  Need to score early and take a lead for a change.

The problem for the Cubs isn't getting through games 5 and 6... the problem is being rewarded with facing deGrom in Game 7 if it gets that far.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »
The problem for the Cubs isn't getting through games 5 and 6... the problem is being rewarded with facing deGrom in Game 7 if it gets that far.

They can only take it one game at a time.  Find a way to win tonight and then you have a chance with Lester and Arrieta coming up.  It's obviously a long shot but I'm not giving up yet.  They had DeGrom on the ropes in the first couple of innings last night but weren't able to capitalize. 

And bring on robo ump for balls and strikes. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
I'm well aware, although a number of his clients have signed extensions prior to free agency.  If the Cubs present an offer that Arrieta deems fair and he wants to stay here he'll sign.

Really?  Which ones?  I certainly thought it was his policy to never do that. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »
Right now the Mets have the 3 best pitchers in the series.  I'll never say never, but I don't see this one going back to NY.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
Right now the Mets have the 3 best pitchers in the series.  I'll never say never, but I don't see this one going back to NY.

I assume you're saying DeGrom, Syndergaard, and Harvey.  But thats silly, cause Harvey finished the year weakly and was pedestrian against the Dodgers.  He had a good outing in Game 1, but outside of Arrieta struggling in Game 2, saying Harvey is the better pitcher is pretty baseless.  I'd take a rested Arrieta off a bad start over anyone was but DeGrom right now for the Mets.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »
I assume you're saying DeGrom, Syndergaard, and Harvey.  But thats silly, cause Harvey finished the year weakly and was pedestrian against the Dodgers.  He had a good outing in Game 1, but outside of Arrieta struggling in Game 2, saying Harvey is the better pitcher is pretty baseless.  I'd take a rested Arrieta off a bad start over anyone was but DeGrom right now for the Mets.

I guess if you consider 2 earned runs over his 3 starts after rejoining the rotation to end the year in 17 2/3 innings with 24 Ks to 1 walk and 14 hits for a WHIP of 0.849 and an ERA of 1.02 then yes, you're right, Harvey "finished the year weakly."

Include his 2 Playoff starts and the numbers are giving up 8 runs, 25 hits and 5 walks while striking out 40 in 30 1/3 innings for an ERA of 2.37 and a WHIP of 0.989 with 1.32 K/IP and a K/BB ratio of 8:1 then yes, you're right.  Very pedestrian numbers...

That's not a knock on Arrieta in the least bit.  The Mets pitchers have been pitching lights out all year, and it has been even better in the stretch run.  Arrieta has given up 4 ER in each of his last 2 starts.  deGrom, Syndegaard, Harvey, and Matz have combined to do that 0 times in 8 Postseason starts.

I will stick to my statement that the Mets have the 3 hottest starters in this series.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:01:32 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
I guess if you consider 2 earned runs over his 3 starts after rejoining the rotation to end the year in 17 2/3 innings with 24 Ks to 1 walk and 14 hits for a WHIP of 0.849 and an ERA of 1.02 then yes, you're right, Harvey "finished the year weakly."

Include his 2 Playoff starts and the numbers are giving up 8 runs, 25 hits and 5 walks while striking out 40 in 30 1/3 innings for an ERA of 2.37 and a WHIP of 0.989 with 1.32 K/IP and a K/BB ratio of 8:1 then yes, you're right.  Very pedestrian numbers...

That's not a knock on Arrieta in the least bit.  The Mets pitchers have been pitching lights out all year, and it has been even better in the stretch run.  Arrieta has given up 4 ER in each of his last 2 starts.  deGrom, Syndegaard, Harvey, and Matz have combined to do that 0 times in 9 Postseason starts.

I will stick to my statement that the Mets have the 3 hottest starters in this series.

Tsk Tsk...
But that's not what you said.

You said 3 best pitchers in the series.  And maybe you are right, DeGrom, Thor, and Familia.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
Tsk Tsk...
But that's not what you said.

You said 3 best pitchers in the series.  And maybe you are right, DeGrom, Thor, and Familia.

Tsk Tsk...you forgot the right now.  AKA, the hottest 3 pitchers.  At the moment.

Were Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard all better throughout the year than Arietta?  Nope.  But right now they are pitching better than Arietta is.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

That's not a knock on Arrieta in the least bit.  The Mets pitchers have been pitching lights out all year, and it has been even better in the stretch run.  Arrieta has given up 4 ER in each of his last 2 starts.  deGrom, Syndegaard, Harvey, and Matz have combined to do that 0 times in 8 Postseason starts.

Looking back at his end of regular season splits, I confused actual performance with the buzz around him.  Specifically him getting hit well though not a ton of runs against the Reds and then him pulled early on the pitch count against the Nats.

I stand by what I said about the Dodger game.  I'm not lumping his end of season in with playoffs.  In the playoffs, he had 1 good start and 1 decent start.  He gave up 3 runs on 7 hits in 5 innings.  It wasn't disastrous but it wasn't great from an "ace".  Just like DeGrom wasn't bad last night, but he wasn't hot.   But I get your overall point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
Looking back at his end of regular season splits, I confused actual performance with the buzz around him.  Specifically him getting hit well though not a ton of runs against the Reds and then him pulled early on the pitch count against the Nats.

I stand by what I said about the Dodger game.  I'm not lumping his end of season in with playoffs.  In the playoffs, he had 1 good start and 1 decent start.  He gave up 3 runs on 7 hits in 5 innings.  It wasn't disastrous but it wasn't great from an "ace".  Just like DeGrom wasn't bad last night, but he wasn't hot.   But I get your overall point.

Fair enough.  Again, it's not a knock on Arietta, but the Mets starters have been, for the most part, lights out lately.  I personally don't see it going back to NY as a result, but I could certainly be wrong.  And hey, if anybody can make this thing interesting, it's a bunch of young 20-somethings who don't know that they're not supposed to win 4 straight games.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
Saw an interesting stat about how poor the Cubs hit fastballs that are 94+ mph. Synd, DeGrom, Harvey all average over that this year. Makes sense. Last night, DeGrom noted how the Cubs seemed to have been keying in on his fastballs, so he switched tactics and threw more breaking - that appeared to work as the Cubs best inning was 1.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »
I was just thinking about how all the young pitchers for the Mets throw hard.  I have no stats to back this up, but I feel like pitching staffs that have the most success in the Playoffs seem to have mostly hard throwing starters.  That could be completely wrong, but it just seems that way to me.

brandx

« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
I was just thinking about how all the young pitchers for the Mets throw hard.  I have no stats to back this up, but I feel like pitching staffs that have the most success in the Playoffs seem to have mostly hard throwing starters.  That could be completely wrong, but it just seems that way to me.

Don't know about playoff specific, but there is plenty of evidence that hard throwers have more success.

BABIP (batting average on balls in play) is pretty consistent for pitchers, be they hard throws or breaking ball pitchers. so being able to strike out a lot of guys does make a difference. Can't get on base when you strike out a lot. A guy who strikes out 180 times a year is putting the ball in play a lot less than a guy who strikes out 80 times. And, so the guy who strikes out 80 times, on average will get about 30 more hits a year.

This is one reason why a team like the Cards is so successful. 250 less Ks than the Cards.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
Don't know about playoff specific, but there is plenty of evidence that hard throwers have more success.

BABIP (batting average on balls in play) is pretty consistent for pitchers, be they hard throws or breaking ball pitchers. so being able to strike out a lot of guys does make a difference. Can't get on base when you strike out a lot. A guy who strikes out 180 times a year is putting the ball in play a lot less than a guy who strikes out 80 times. And, so the guy who strikes out 80 times, on average will get about 30 more hits a year.

This is one reason why a team like the Cards is so successful. 250 less Ks than the Cards.

While the Cubs do strike out a ton, their OBP was equal to St. Louis' for the season and they had a higher OPS.  I imagine it is even a bigger difference in the second half as the Cubs' offense was mediocre for the first few months of the season.   

Hopefully as some of their young hitters mature they can cut down on the Ks but swing and miss will always be a part of the game for guys like Bryant and Schwarber.  That's ok when you also draw walks and hit for power.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
What a piss poor showing. Oh well, better team is gonna win this series.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2015, 08:02:26 PM »
Schwarber has looked a lot like a DH the last couple days. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »

Yes.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »

Looks like a guy that's barely played the OF.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Life is good today

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
Delicious schadenfreude in today's USA Today.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2015, 09:10:56 AM »
Life is good today

Did you accept that the Sox are and will continue to be irrelevant?  Good for you!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
Cubs fans better hope the time off didn't give their team time to cool off and start thinking.   

Ahem.    Momentum sapped.    The team that played most recently carried their momentum and emotion into the series.    Cubs never got started.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback