collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35492 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
The Cubs really needed to get Game 1  or 2 in NY to win this series. Coming home will be nice but Hendriks and Hammel don't inspire a lot of confidence especially with deGrom on the mound tomorrow night. The Cubs will have to outslug the Mets in the next couple of games.

brandx

« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Don't know how the series will work out, but the Mets are the worst match up the Cubs could have. A team that strikes out a lot against a bunch of young, hard-throwing strikeout pitchers.

deGrom is already one of the best starters in baseball and Syndegaard will soon be at that level. Harvey was a top 5 starter before hurting his arm and is getting back pretty close to what he was.

You have to get the bat on the ball against the Mets and that is the biggest weakness on the Cubs.

The Mets could be at the point the Braves were when they had Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine. Different philosophies, but the chance to be just as good.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
Cubs might get swept. Lots of defensive mistakes tonight. But more importantly, they can't get any hits. Much credit of that to Mets pitching.

As a fan, it sucks to get this far and realize we aren't going farther. The only back-of-my-mind relief is knowing that this is, by the design, one year ahead of where we were supposed to be.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
I'd be shocked if they get swept.  I just feel like this team guts at least one out.  I don't ever want to see Cahill and his pot belly on the mound again.  Keep a ball from bouncing off the plate one time for me.  Good god.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2015, 10:32:06 PM »
While the Cubs are certainly ahead of schedule, so are the Mets.  The future of the Mets may be even brighter than that of the Cubs.  That pitching staff is STACKED!  And young.  They'll have to pay a few everyday players this offseason, but they are really, really good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
While the Cubs are certainly ahead of schedule, so are the Mets.  The future of the Mets may be even brighter than that of the Cubs.  That pitching staff is STACKED!  And young.  They'll have to pay a few everyday players this offseason, but they are really, really good.

And the rookie going tomorrow is another hard thrower who averaged over a strikeout per inning in the minors.

As I said earlier, this is a bad matchup - series-wise for the Cubs. All hard throwing strikeout pitchers against a team that strikes out a ton.

The future is bright for both teams and this off-season will have a big bearing on that. Cubs need another arm. Mets need to either re-sign Cespedes and Murphy or spend some dollars on a couple sticks. But if that staff stays healthy, they could dominate for years.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2015, 12:43:52 AM »
And the rookie going tomorrow is another hard thrower who averaged over a strikeout per inning in the minors.

As I said earlier, this is a bad matchup - series-wise for the Cubs. All hard throwing strikeout pitchers against a team that strikes out a ton.

The future is bright for both teams and this off-season will have a big bearing on that. Cubs need another arm. Mets need to either re-sign Cespedes and Murphy or spend some dollars on a couple sticks. But if that staff stays healthy, they could dominate for years.

My guess is they just out-right pay for two more top of the rotation starters. No trades.**

Edit: **maybe Starlin

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2015, 07:37:25 AM »
Was not difficult to see this coming. Been saying all season and again before this series, this is not a WS winning roster, and the series has gone about exactly as expected. Still have another offseason/trade deadline of moving pieces around to go. Need more pitching and need to get better defensively. Someones gonna get moved. Not sure who, but I'd say every position player except Bryant, Schwarber, Rizzo and Russell are probably on the table for the right deal.

They're gonna get there. They're just not there yet.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:23 AM »
Too many sluggers and not enough guys filling the bases, in my opinion. I like Fowler, but I'm not sure he's the type of lead off hitter they need. the Mets pitchers have been throwing from a full windup almost the entire series.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2015, 07:44:26 AM »
My guess is they just out-right pay for two more top of the rotation starters. No trades.**

I will be very surprised if they are not part of a significant offseason trade involving one of their young guys (Castro included - though his value is not as high as some of the others). I agree they will sign a FA starter, but there are flaws in the roster makeup that will become bigger issues obpver time,  and they have guys that will net a very good return. Someone's gonna be (and should be) moved.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2015, 07:50:21 AM »
My understanding is the Cubs have a lot of good position players in the pipeline.  No reason not to trade for pitching or defense if that is indeed the case.  Don't over-value your own guys.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
I would trade for pitching, but not defense. Bryant is bound to improve. He's a rookie. I wouldn't trade for a LF because Schwarber misplayed a ball last night. I can live with his mistakes with his bat. Soler also made a young mistake charging that ball but has the tools to be a very good RF.  These guys are really young.

The guy I see being moved is Baez. His defensive miscues have been really bad since Russell got hurt. He's supposed to be some defensive whiz (some say Russell's equal) but they keep replacing him in the late innings. Fans have been oversold on him and I wouldn't be surprised if he's riding the pine the rest of the series.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
As disappointing as this series has been the Cubs are still in a great spot moving forward.  You also can't completely overreact to a bad series.  They have plenty of talent at all levels to make moves and should start to have more payroll flexibility moving forward.  Should be an interesting offseason. 

While the Mets young arms are fantastic pitching is much less predictable than hitting.  Maybe they turn out like the Braves staffs or they could run into injury and/or ineffectiveness. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »

I'm calling Price right now.  He wants to play for Madden and has said in interviews before that he'd love to play in Chicago.
I think they'll sign a second tier starter too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Too many sluggers and not enough guys filling the bases, in my opinion. I like Fowler, but I'm not sure he's the type of lead off hitter they need. the Mets pitchers have been throwing from a full windup almost the entire series.

Cub batters leading off an inning are 0 for 25 in the series. Only Rizzo (one walk, one HBP) has reached as a lead off man.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »
I'm calling Price right now.  He wants to play for Madden and has said in interviews before that he'd love to play in Chicago.
I think they'll sign a second tier starter too.

I heard an interview with Price in which he said the manager will make no impact on his decision.  He was answering a question about Maddon.  Price will go where he gets 150/5.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »

Anyone who trades even a second tier starting pitcher for Starlin Castro is nuts IMO. He can hit but is undisciplined at the plate - low OBP. Below average fielder, low baseball IQ, forgets the situation or even how many outs there are. But maybe the Cubs will get lucky - only takes one dumb GM to overpay for him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
The guy I see being moved is Baez. His defensive miscues have been really bad since Russell got hurt. He's supposed to be some defensive whiz (some say Russell's equal) but they keep replacing him in the late innings. Fans have been oversold on him and I wouldn't be surprised if he's riding the pine the rest of the series.

+108

No guarantee that Russell would have made all the plays that Baez has missed, but I see that as being the (negative) difference from the NLDS. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »
I heard an interview with Price in which he said the manager will make no impact on his decision.  He was answering a question about Maddon.  Price will go where he gets 150/5.

305 million for the Lester/Price combo seems like an awful lot. When does Arrieta become a free agent and how much will he get?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
Either Baez or Castro will be moved this offseason. Madden really seems to like Tommy LaStella so he'll likely split time at 2B with whomever the Cubs keep. My guess is that it'll be a LaStella/Baez platoon with Castro moved.

Castro is what he is. A team might be willing to trade a pitcher for him if the Cubs throw in another prospect like Torres,  McKinney or Almora. Baez is a high-ceiling/low-floor guy. There's probably a GM out there who will buy his potential, but he hasn't done much at the Major League level to justify giving up a quality arm for him.

I heard it reported yesterday on the radio (possibly by Bruce Levine) that the Cubs plan to make a run at Jason Heyward to play CF and are likely to make a short-term offer to Samardzija, but Price is unlikely.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
Didn't realize Heyward is only 26.  I thought he was nearer to 30.  I would definitely be a fan of that though he's likely going to be costly.

I think Castro has been improved moving to 2nd, but I am not at all opposed to moving him.  Baez has great power and potential, but with all the power the Cubs have in their lineup with Schwarber, Rizzo, Bryant, and Soler, I'd be happy with a guy who hits for more average/fills the bases.

I like Price, but his playoff struggles have me wary if we're talking 25-30MM per.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
305 million for the Lester/Price combo seems like an awful lot. When does Arrieta become a free agent and how much will he get?

Not positive but I believe he is a free agent after next season.  If he has another season like this one, he will be in the 22-25 range I'd guess.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
He is signed through 2017

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
He is signed through 2017

The Cubs may look to extend Arrieta this offseason and acquire another SP via trade.  I'd love Price but based on what he will cost and his age, I'd be surprised if they give out such a huge contact one year after signing Lester. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
The Cubs may look to extend Arrieta this offseason and acquire another SP via trade.  I'd love Price but based on what he will cost and his age, I'd be surprised if they give out such a huge contact one year after signing Lester.

Boras client.  They typically don't do extensions before free agency. 

feedback