collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35482 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
Ok, well you obviously missed last off season for the Sox.

But beside that, what is the difference in going for it via free agency or another way.  If the avenue fails, it would still seem to be a waste of his talent, if winning championships is the only measuring stick for the proper use of his talent as you seem to be making it out to be. 

No, I watched it happen. Still didn't think they were a contender, neither did Reinsdorf. It was just enough to get people to buy tickets again.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
No, I watched it happen. Still didn't think they were a contender, neither did Reinsdorf. It was just enough to get people to buy tickets again.

Still don't see a difference between that and the Mariners

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »
Cubs fans......who are you hoping to win tonight?

I'm an AL guy (yes, I wanted to see TX not Tor come to KC) and am too busy to follow both leagues.  I know more obnoxious Met fans than Dodger fans so I'd like to see LA win, but my vote doesn't count.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2015, 06:58:36 PM »

I'm an AL guy (yes, I wanted to see TX not Tor come to KC) and am too busy to follow both leagues.  I know more obnoxious Met fans than Dodger fans so I'd like to see LA win, but my vote doesn't count.

Cubs went 7-0 vs Mets during the regular season. But it feels like this current Mets team is different than before.

With the Dodgers, you gotta face Kershaw and Greinke and possibly twice, each.

Mets.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2015, 07:05:27 PM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »

Both very good teams.  I actually lean towards LA slightly.  While they obviously have Kershaw and Greinke, I think the Mets have more rotation depth, a better offense at this point, and a better bullpen.  The way it lines up now the Cubs should have an advantage in game one with Lester likely facing Brett Anderson, then a complete toss-up with the Kershaw-Arrieta matchup in game 2, while LA would have a clear advantage with Greinke in game 3.  Either way it will be very tough. 

The Cubs 7-0 record was when the Mets were running a minor league lineup out there so I don't put any stock into that.   

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »
Both very good teams.  I actually lean towards LA slightly.  While they obviously have Kershaw and Greinke, I think the Mets have more rotation depth, a better offense at this point, and a better bullpen.  The way it lines up now the Cubs should have an advantage in game one with Lester likely facing Brett Anderson, then a complete toss-up with the Kershaw-Arrieta matchup in game 2, while LA would have a clear advantage with Greinke in game 3.  Either way it will be very tough. 

The Cubs 7-0 record was when the Mets were running a minor league lineup out there so I don't put any stock into that.   
Thanks - if it turns out to be the Mets, I hope some of you who have seats in a row dress up in Charlston Chiefs/Hansen Bro's costumes. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
I am hoping for Mets.

A good friend and MU grad (Schroeder 10 S) is a Mets fan.  Back in the day...he was Yank.

Can't wait to drink the Jameson he will owe me. We owe the Mets. F Darryl Dinglebery.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »
Doyers out....I'm happy.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
Doyers out....I'm happy.

It's been a long time since 1988.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
It's been a long time since 1988.

LOL....and I remind Doyer fans when they get cocky, as they do each and every year.   Mattingly won't survive this.

I was a sophomore in college when they last won it, and I'm about to have one of my own in college in 18 months.  $300 million just doesn't buy what it used to.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2015, 11:11:59 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2015, 07:16:42 AM »
Was hoping for the Dodgers, but Mets will make it sweeter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2015, 07:34:17 AM »
Was hoping for the Dodgers, but Mets will make it sweeter

Agreed.  Taking down the Cards, then the Mets.....sweet.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Yeah, I would say the Cubs got the less desirable of the two matchups, but certainly not by a wide margin. Who knows what's gonna happen. I like the Mets pitching depth, 1-12. My fear for the Cubs is that they are simply going to run out of pitching, and going to have to continue to hit the ball out of the ball park in order to win. That is typically not a recipe for success in the playoffs, but again, who knows. What happens in games 1,2,3 impacts what happens and the decisions you make/are able to make in games 2,3,4, etc.

Things really continue to fall the Cubs way, though. Having the extra couple days is really big. Being able to set up Lester, Arrieta in games 1 and 2 while DeGrom and Syndergard were battling through game 5 definitely provides an advantage. Obviously, if the Mets get to Leter or Arreita, the advantage theoretically swings back to the Mets.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Yeah, I would say the Cubs got the less desirable of the two matchups, but certainly not by a wide margin. Who knows what's gonna happen. I like the Mets pitching depth, 1-12. My fear for the Cubs is that they are simply going to run out of pitching, and going to have to continue to hit the ball out of the ball park in order to win. That is typically not a recipe for success in the playoffs, but again, who knows. What happens in games 1,2,3 impacts what happens and the decisions you make/are able to make in games 2,3,4, etc.

Things really continue to fall the Cubs way, though. Having the extra couple days is really big. Being able to set up Lester, Arrieta in games 1 and 2 while DeGrom and Syndergard were battling through game 5 definitely provides an advantage. Obviously, if the Mets get to Leter or Arreita, the advantage theoretically swings back to the Mets.

The Mets do have more pitching depth, which is why I had a slight preference to play LA.  Having Lester and Arrieta go for four of the games, including games 1 and 2, helps.  Should be a great series. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »
The Mets do have more pitching depth, which is why I had a slight preference to play LA.  Having Lester and Arrieta go for four of the games, including games 1 and 2, helps.  Should be a great series.

I assume the Mets are going to go Harvey, Syndergard, DeGrom.

Bottom line for the Cubs, Lester has to do what they brought him in to do. If he does, they can match up fine, but if he doesn't, they may be in trouble. those three guys above will be very tough. I think it's reasonable for Cub fans to have some concern about Arrita's innings as well. He's pitched a lot. When I say the Cubs may run out of pitching, that is a big potential reason why.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
I'm not as scared of Harvey as I would have been 3 months ago.  Between the off the field distractions, his pitch limits, and his stuff being a bit less than it had been, he's not nearly as formidable.  That said, DeGrom is TOUGH and so is Thor.  Should be intense.

Lester should be fine.  Outside of a bit of a rough start, he threw a great game in Game 1.  If we get that again, I would be very pleased.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »
In my opinion this will be a much better series than Dodgers vs. Cubs would have been.  These are 2 of the 3 hottest teams in baseball, and that's really what it comes down to in the Playoffs.  Both have some guys who can turn a mistake into a series altering homer, both have solid pitching.  I'm hoping for the Mets, but am thinking the Cubs win this in 7.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
Yea, I think the Cubs would have beat the Dodgers in 5. This mets, cubs series is going 7 unless the Mets pitchers catch fire.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
Cubs fans better hope the time off didn't give their team time to cool off and start thinking.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Cubs fans better hope the time off didn't give their team time to cool off and start thinking.   

They were partying up until yesterday. They're like the royals last year, to young to know they probably shouldn't be winning this year. They're just kids around my age playing baseball and having fun.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
I'm still wondering if my Dodgers hit one home run all post season.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
Cubs got outplayed in the first two games.  It happens, which makes the playoffs in any sport but the NBA tough to call.  Some of the weaknesses that we all knew about are coming to light here.  High strikeout/high HR is a tough way to win in October, and of course a rotation with no depth.  I'd have a different view of being down 2-0 the series if our 3 and 4 didn't seem so outmatched.
It's not over yet, but regardless, it's been fun to see expectations exceeded this season.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »
I think the Cubs start hitting a bit at home.  Murphy has been the difference.  You take away his homers in Game 1 and 2 and it doesn't seem as lopsided.  Its concerning having to see DeGrom vs Hendricks in Game 3, but the atmosphere tomorrow should be electric and I think that may lift the guys a bit.  If the Cubs can take Game 3, optimism is back.

feedback