Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Freshmen comparisons  (Read 7576 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Freshmen comparisons
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
Air balled a three yesterday.  Missed 2 out of 3 free throws and did not look good, looked nervous.  He must have been a volume shooter in high school.  Long way to
go, right now just a player.  Will have to grow in a year as he has a chance to start next year.  As a lot to work on but needs to spend a year in the
weight room and having protein shakes like 10 times a day.

His shot is flat and his release is inconsistent. That can be corrected.

Also, he shot 52% from the floor his senior year in HS (averaged 28 ppg). I have a feeling that with his length athleticism, he didn't spend a lot of time shooting from the outside. Most athletic HS players don't come to college with a strong outside shot. Check out the 3-point shooting in the McD AA game sometime. It ain't pretty.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
Admittedly, every player's "Best-case" is Dwyane Wade and every player's "Worst-case" is Greg Clausen so maybe Ceiling/Floor would have been better, but you get where I'm going. By their senior year, this is where I could see the current frosh.

Greg Elliott
Best-case: Jerel McNeal
Worst-case: Dameon Mason

Theo John
Best-case: Angel Delgado*
Worst-case: Chris Otule

Jamal Cain
Best-case: Jimmy Butler
Worst-case: Mike Bargen

Ike Eke
Best-case: Ousmane Barro
Worst-case: Lawrence Blackledge

* - Marquette just hasn't had a guy with Theo's build and athleticism so I was forced to go intraconference instead.

I don't think Greg's ceiling is that high. Can't argue too much with the rest.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Elliott reminds me of a young Michael Wilson.

Similar build, around 6-4 175 with long arms.

When paired with Worthen, a young Wilson averaged about 6-8 points a game. Usually the 5th scoring option on offense.

When paired with Rivers his last two years, Wilson handled the ball a bit more and built up some decent assist numbers.  About 4 rebounds and 4 assists per game and scoring increased to 12 and then 16 his senior year. Not a great outside shooter, but a very effective shooter making over 50% of his shots his last two years.

Plus many remember he brought down the rim against Memphis.

That was awesome!  Back when Memphis was Memphis State, and they played in the Mid-South Coliseum.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 12:55:59 PM »
I don't think Greg's ceiling is that high. Can't argue too much with the rest.

I don't think he'll ever have McNeal's scoring ability but I do think he has a similar build, can defend and will fill that stat sheet. I actually considered making his best-case "What we thought Dameon Mason would be" and his worst-case "What Dameon Mason was."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
I'm sure it has been.  He's contributing how they want him to at this point.

This.. When you have SH, Marcus and AR shooting 3s, why have other guys even bother?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »

When paired with Worthen, a young Wilson averaged about 6-8 points a game. Usually the 5th scoring option on offense.

When paired with Rivers his last two years, Wilson handled the ball a bit more and built up some decent assist numbers.  About 4 rebounds and 4 assists per game and scoring increased to 12 and then 16 his senior year. Not a great outside shooter, but a very effective shooter making over 50% of his shots his last two years.

Bingo. Hadn't thought of Wilson, but I think you nailed it. Can be outstanding defensive player and shot will come and go - just like Wilson.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
Why wouldn't his shot be broken down already?  Why waste freshman year with a shot as poor as his is?

That should have begun the first day of practice.
Hey vadger troll, maybe you should go ask on your own board why Brevin Pritzel's hasn't improved.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »
Theo can dunk the basketball, so that alone makes the comparison to Tom Copa unfair.
I recall going to a game at DePaul where Copa had some monstrous dunks.  That might also be the game he clanged the one off the back of the rim and basically into the crowd.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
Didn’t Copa get a cup ofCopa coffee?

FIFY

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 04:06:46 PM »
That was awesome!  Back when Memphis was Memphis State, and they played in the Mid-South Coliseum.

Still gotta prove he can stand on the rim of the basket in stockin’ feet after beatin’ ND at home, doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »

Still gotta prove he can stand on the rim of the basket in stockin’ feet after beatin’ ND at home, doe, hey?

My single favorite MU memory from my years there. By far.

Michael Wilson became a darn good basketball player, too. Not a bad kid, either.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
Cain compared to Wilson seems fair, but I see Cain with more confidence like he is not afraid of making a mistake, unlike Wilson who seemed to be shy in the spotlight. Elliot I believe is still playing with an injured thumb, I’m no Ners, but I know that shooting with a thumb injury ain’t fun.
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Cain reminds of Blackledge. Blackledge more athletic, but Cain is better.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »
I think Cain will end up being the best of the crew.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 10:56:03 AM »
My single favorite MU memory from my years there. By far.

Michael Wilson became a darn good basketball player, too. Not a bad kid, either.

And Chick... he was from Tennessee.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
Cain compared to Wilson seems fair, but I see Cain with more confidence like he is not afraid of making a mistake, unlike Wilson who seemed to be shy in the spotlight. Elliot I believe is still playing with an injured thumb, I’m no Ners, but I know that shooting with a thumb injury ain’t fun.
I didn't read anyone comparing Cain with Michael Wilson.  Elliott was being compared to Wilson.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »

In the greater scheme of MU basketball Michael  Wilson is very under rated. Greg Elliot has the potential to be a modern day Micheal Wilson.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:56:26 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Admittedly, every player's "Best-case" is Dwyane Wade and every player's "Worst-case" is Greg Clausen so maybe Ceiling/Floor would have been better, but you get where I'm going. By their senior year, this is where I could see the current frosh.

Greg Elliott
Best-case: Jerel McNeal
Worst-case: Dameon Mason

Theo John
Best-case: Angel Delgado*
Worst-case: Chris Otule

Jamal Cain
Best-case: Jimmy Butler
Worst-case: Mike Bargen

Ike Eke
Best-case: Ousmane Barro
Worst-case: Lawrence Blackledge

* - Marquette just hasn't had a guy with Theo's build and athleticism so I was forced to go intraconference instead.

Easy guess on your era of Marquette basketball.  Greg Clausen and Mike Bargen references. .ha

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
I didn't read anyone comparing Cain with Michael Wilson.  Elliott was being compared to Wilson.
To Jamil
Who would you compare this year's freshmen to?

Greg Elliott:  More athletic Joe Chapman.    A do-everything guard.   Has some size, can defend.
Jamal Cain:   A skinnier Jamil Wilson.   Has the skills, needs to develop the body.    Picturing Cain's skill set at 220 instead of 190.   Yes, please.
Theo John:  I am racking my brain for a MU big to compare him to, and going back to Copa, I can't remember a freshman big with his size and strength.  Potenial Maurice Lucas if he puts in the work?  Taller Faisal Abraham?  The hardest to compare because of the lack of physically dominant MU bigs over the last 30 years. 
Eke:  Ooze.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 02:40:17 PM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship